Columbia 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
rx3r

Re: Columbia 2013

Postby rx3r » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:46 pm

Does anyone have any tips on beginning the apartment search?

irie

Postby irie » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:28 pm

rx3r wrote:Does anyone have any tips on beginning the apartment search?

yeah, first step is probably to find a roommate or 2, or ull be paying a lot of money. if u want to get a place for yourself then id go through a broker. the rental market is in tatters right now, so most landlords will pay the broker's fee, which is usually a month's rent.

honestly, it is probably a bit too early for getting an august apartment, id wait until february or march. my current lease expires in March, and they wont even be showing my place to the next renters until one month before I move out.

nateDgr8

Postby nateDgr8 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:12 am

With how quiet this board is I'm guessing the answer is no but anyone receive any correspondence from Columbia since being accepted? I could really go for an admitted student's website or binder or swag... I'm almost starting to think they changed their mind. :(

irie

Postby irie » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:20 am

nateDgr8 wrote:With how quiet this board is I'm guessing the answer is no but anyone receive any correspondence from Columbia since being accepted? I could really go for an admitted student's website or binder or swag... I'm almost starting to think they changed their mind. :(

haha yeah I agree... would've been nice to get more than a one page letter, or at least a big light blue envelope to rival NYU's purple one. maybe in late January when the RDs come out we'll get our packages.

charlym

Postby charlym » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:19 pm

nateDgr8 wrote:With how quiet this board is I'm guessing the answer is no but anyone receive any correspondence from Columbia since being accepted? I could really go for an admitted student's website or binder or swag... I'm almost starting to think they changed their mind. :(

Funny you should say that!
I was thinking the exact same thing this morning: I still haven't received the actual letter and I'm still hanging on to that pdf like some grail! (Yes! the postal service here sucks! They even a censor's bureau that checks all types of media, so books/DVD's/Cd's take forever to reach me... :cry: )

And what will we be expecting in February does CLS have an admitted student website?? I'd love a binder, I could reaaaallly show that off!

nateDgr8

Postby nateDgr8 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:36 pm

charlym wrote:

I was thinking the exact same thing this morning: I still haven't received the actual letter and I'm still hanging on to that pdf like some grail! (Yes! the postal service here sucks! They even a censor's bureau that checks all types of media, so books/DVD's/Cd's take forever to reach me... :cry: )

And what will we be expecting in February does CLS have an admitted student website?? I'd love a binder, I could reaaaallly show that off!

I spoke to a 1L and they do have an admitted students website. I thought I remembered a binder from reading last years CLS thread but I may be making that up... :)

irie

Postby irie » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:52 pm

nateDgr8 wrote:
charlym wrote:

I spoke to a 1L and they do have an admitted students website. I thought I remembered a binder from reading last years CLS thread but I may be making that up... :)

I made a post on here, hopefully someone will respond.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=86289

I know M51 is an ED admit from 2007, so hopefully he'll have time over break to respond.

rx3r

Postby rx3r » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:30 pm

They definitely have a binder but I don't think they send them out until February-ish. My friend gave me the 2008-2009 copy, and it's HUGE.

charlym

Postby charlym » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:56 pm

rx3r wrote:They definitely have a binder but I don't think they send them out until February-ish. My friend gave me the 2008-2009 copy, and it's HUGE.

What's in it? :D

rx3r

Postby rx3r » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:43 pm

Things they published during the year, clubs, a bunch of pamphlets about different areas of study, etc. etc.

taylor

Postby taylor » Fri Dec 25, 2009 6:21 pm

I agree with nateDgr8. Until I actually receive the binder, I may question whether or not I was actually accepted...

yqsong

Postby yqsong » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:20 pm

don't u guys worry...cls will send out a shit load of stuff soon...
and if u like free stuff as much as i do, come to admitted student program, free columbia tshirt, and in orientation, u will get free laptop backpack...

=)

charlym

Postby charlym » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:06 pm

yqsong wrote:don't u guys worry...cls will send out a shit load of stuff soon...
and if u like free stuff as much as i do, come to admitted student program, free columbia tshirt, and in orientation, u will get free laptop backpack...

=)

Hey!
When do they usually organize the admitted student program? And do they provide some sort of financial incentive (housing or travel) to bring you there?

of Benito Cereno

Postby of Benito Cereno » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:26 pm

got in today by email and maybe a member of this group.

yqsong

Postby yqsong » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:21 pm

charlym wrote:
yqsong wrote:don't u guys worry...cls will send out a shit load of stuff soon...

=)

Hey!
When do they usually organize the admitted student program? And do they provide some sort of financial incentive (housing or travel) to bring you there?

admitted student program is in..i am not sure, it was march last year, i just received some emails from school asking students to volunteer at the admitted student program.
and i think you all should consider staying with a current student rather than getting ur own hotel. I think the list of students who offered their places will be provided to you soon. My roomates and I offered our couch, so maybe one of you guys will stay with us.
Financial incentives...hmm...I am not sure if they are doing it this year, but I got 200 dollar for travel expense last year. You have to apply for it.
if you guys have any questions about columbia, feel free to shoot me a pm, i am probably gonna be slow in replying these things becuz life is so busy right now with classes, moot court, and of course, 1L summer job search, but I will try my best.
good luck to you all, hope you will choose columbia. :)

Sogui

Postby Sogui » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:30 pm

irie wrote:
rx3r wrote:Does anyone have any tips on beginning the apartment search?

yeah, first step is probably to find a roommate or 2, or ull be paying a lot of money. if u want to get a place for yourself then id go through a broker. the rental market is in tatters right now, so most landlords will pay the broker's fee, which is usually a month's rent.

honestly, it is probably a bit too early for getting an august apartment, id wait until february or march. my current lease expires in March, and they wont even be showing my place to the next renters until one month before I move out.

What about University Apartment Housing (UAH) there was a section of my acceptance folder dedicated to just that, 4 different buildings and they all sounded pretty nice.

For simplicities sake I feel like I would definitely use UAH unless there was a crazy cheap or crazy nice alternative. I'd much rather just send a simply app into Columbia rather than searching Craigslist or something for roommates or using a damn broker.

maudlinstreet

Postby maudlinstreet » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:19 pm

Just got in today! About a 99% chance I'll be joining the class of 2013 in the fall. :)

Tofu

Postby Tofu » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:52 am

This topic's been dead for a while haha

maudlinstreet

Postby maudlinstreet » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:15 am

Tofu wrote:This topic's been dead for a while haha

Well I plan to LIVEN it up with my enthusiasm! I've been trying to find columbia law swag online to no avail. anyone got any idea on where to look? I tried the official bookstore, but I couldn't seem to find any law-specific stuff. specifically, I just want to buy a tshirt :mrgreen:

Tofu

Postby Tofu » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:35 am

maudlinstreet wrote:

Well I plan to LIVEN it up with my enthusiasm! I've been trying to find columbia law swag online to no avail. anyone got any idea on where to look? I tried the official bookstore, but I couldn't seem to find any law-specific stuff. specifically, I just want to buy a tshirt :mrgreen:

I don't think you can buy law apparel at the online store :(. You have to be there in person

maudlinstreet

Postby maudlinstreet » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:48 pm

Tofu wrote:
maudlinstreet wrote:

I don't think you can buy law apparel at the online store :(. You have to be there in person

Yeah, after scouring the internet for way too long, I think you're right. :( Ah well, I guess I might just order a regular Columbia shirt!

Now that I've been accepted, I feel comfortable saying that my one big pet peeve with Columbia during this whole admissions process is that they send decisions via snail mail. No real status checker (except to tell you whether your application is complete, which is something I guess), no phone calls, and no e-mails until well after you should have received your snail mail package. It's the 21st century, you know? Time to get with the times and use the available technology to its fullest!

swc65

Postby swc65 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:18 pm

maudlinstreet wrote:
Tofu wrote:
maudlinstreet wrote:

Yeah, after scouring the internet for way too long, I think you're right. :( Ah well, I guess I might just order a regular Columbia shirt!

Now that I've been accepted, I feel comfortable saying that my one big pet peeve with Columbia during this whole admissions process is that they send decisions via snail mail. No real status checker (except to tell you whether your application is complete, which is something I guess), no phone calls, and no e-mails until well after you should have received your snail mail package. It's the 21st century, you know? Time to get with the times and use the available technology to its fullest!

That's weird cuz EDs got their through email. you would think that CLS would be nicer to RDs to get them to matriculate.

rx3r

Postby rx3r » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:19 pm

I just enrolled and Columbia sent me a 2010 Guide to New York! :)

irie

Postby irie » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:32 pm

maudlinstreet wrote:
Tofu wrote:
maudlinstreet wrote:

if it makes u feel any better NYU completely ignored me (i submitted my app on September 4th) until i got my acceptance letter via snailmail.

not a peep for 3 whole months.

maudlinstreet

Postby maudlinstreet » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:23 pm

irie wrote:if it makes u feel any better NYU completely ignored me (i submitted my app on September 4th) until i got my acceptance letter via snailmail.

not a peep for 3 whole months.

Haha, I know a lot of people had issues with NYU, but they actually treated me well! I got a complete e-mail a few days after I submitted my application, and I got in on the first wave of letters (postmarked 12/1 I think).

Don't get me wrong - I'm still 100% leaning towards Columbia. I just found it very irritating that they couldn't phone or e-mail their decisions. :mrgreen:

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”