Columbia 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
Sogui

Re: Columbia 2013

Postby Sogui » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:37 pm

Great, I got an email with a laundry list of things I have yet to complete for financial aid.

Columbia Loan entrance interview? I thought the Federal Entrance counseling was enough...

Grant Data form? Ok this is the first time I've ever even heard of this...

Perkins Promissory Note? I called about this item specifically about 2 months ago and was told that I had everything I needed...

maudlinstreet

Postby maudlinstreet » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:43 pm

Hattori Hanzo wrote:
maudlinstreet wrote:
holborn wrote:I just got an email entitled "your federal direct loan disclosure statements". looks like loans are out?

Hmm, I didn't receive this e-mail as of yet. Could you elaborate a bit on what's inside the e-mail? Now I'm curious (and really want my loan money) :)

It's nothing really:

"You may now view, save and print the disclosure statement for your Direct Loan(s) at:

https://studentloans.gov/myDirectLoan/index.action

Your disclosure statement provides information about your rights and responsibilities related to your student loans. It is important to keep all correspondence in a safe location for future reference. Your disclosure statement will be available for you to retrieve for a limited time. Therefore, please take the time now to retrieve your copy.

You will need to login with a valid PIN to retrieve your documents."

Thanks a ton! Although I didn't get this e-mail, I checked my account on studentloans.gov and discovered that I have also received my disclosure statements for my loans. Definitely reassuring!

Sogui

Postby Sogui » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:55 pm

Now it wants my CUID... a 9-digit university ID number?

Where can I find this obscure bit of information?

maudlinstreet

Postby maudlinstreet » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:01 pm

Sogui wrote:Now it wants my CUID... a 9-digit university ID number?

Where can I find this obscure bit of information?

go to https://ssol.columbia.edu/, login, click academic profile (or any of the other links), and change the top to "show my name and personal data." your CUID will be in that info.

rx3r

Postby rx3r » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:37 pm

Who else is at Columbia early? I'm tired of cooking for myself and I can't seem to even bump into anyone to talk to around here. PM me if you want to do something together. I'm horrendously bored.

Hattori Hanzo

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:57 am

Sogui wrote:Great, I got an email with a laundry list of things I have yet to complete for financial aid.

Columbia Loan entrance interview? I thought the Federal Entrance counseling was enough...

Perkins Promissory Note? I called about this item specifically about 2 months ago and was told that I had everything I needed...

Same thing happened to me except I got the email last week. Just wait til u see that Grant Data Form. You actually have to write a mini autobiography in 3rd person and an essay about what you did over the summer!!

Sogui

Postby Sogui » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:25 am

Hattori Hanzo wrote:
Sogui wrote:Great, I got an email with a laundry list of things I have yet to complete for financial aid.

Same thing happened to me except I got the email last week. Just wait til u see that Grant Data Form. You actually have to write a mini autobiography in 3rd person and an essay about what you did over the summer!!

Yea I loved that, especially the part where my computer got fried when I moved out so I'm using an ancient computer and had to try and dig up a relatively recent resume off my email and edit it in Word 98.

Still it's a nice grant so I found myself more tolerant of all the hoops I had to jump through. I still have no idea how anyone could have gotten all the financial aid stuff right on the first try, the checklist they offer only covers half the stuff you really need.

remz

Postby remz » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:47 am

I got the same exact list. What sucks is that the Perkins Promissory note has to be sent to Columbia or dropped off there. I don't know why it's not electronic.

Foozle

Postby Foozle » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:19 am

Yeah, got the same thing a week and a half ago. I'm so glad I wasn't the only one.

Sogui

Postby Sogui » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:27 am

remz wrote:

I got the same exact list. What sucks is that the Perkins Promissory note has to be sent to Columbia or dropped off there. I don't know why it's not electronic.

Yea I got lucky, I guess, and happened to have an extra next-day air envelope lying around.

examplepdf

Postby examplepdf » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:40 am

Sogui wrote:
remz wrote:

Yea I got lucky, I guess, and happened to have an extra next-day air envelope lying around.

I ALSO got the same exact list. Hope it doesn't delay anything -- I am basically broke, with an only semi-functional laptop, until everything gets dispersed... how will I try out all the bars in MH??

holborn

Postby holborn » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:56 pm

okay who wants to try out a fun little game? if you go to ssol.columbia.edu, sign in, and then hit "schedule" it says "registered for law school". above it, it says sec 001.

Does everyone else have sec 001 or could this be my elusive section number?

Foozle

Postby Foozle » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:59 pm

holborn wrote:okay who wants to try out a fun little game? if you go to ssol.columbia.edu, sign in, and then hit "schedule" it says "registered for law school". above it, it says sec 001.

REGI L0002 sec 001

UnitarySpace

Postby UnitarySpace » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:02 pm

REGI L0002 sec 001 for me also

holborn

Postby holborn » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:03 pm

Foozle wrote:
holborn wrote:okay who wants to try out a fun little game? if you go to ssol.columbia.edu, sign in, and then hit "schedule" it says "registered for law school". above it, it says sec 001.

REGI L0002 sec 001

damnit. although two isnt yet a representative sample.

Foozle

Postby Foozle » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:06 pm

holborn wrote:
Foozle wrote:

REGI L0002 sec 001

damnit. although two isnt yet a representative sample.

Three, which still isn't. I'm offended that you don't want me in your section.

holborn

Postby holborn » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:22 pm

Foozle wrote:Three, which still isn't. I'm offended that you don't want me in your section.

haha I just don't understand why Columbia is so evasive about giving us our schedule or what section we are in

Sogui

Postby Sogui » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:28 pm

Yea I got the same results on my student schedule

It's official representative now

mvp

Postby mvp » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:40 pm

Same for me...

Alyssa

Postby Alyssa » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:20 pm

Hattori Hanzo wrote:

I didn't know we had to write an essay about what we did over the summer?!

edit: I just went back to check the form, and they only ask where you were employed and the pay.

Foozle

Postby Foozle » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:47 pm

Alyssa wrote:
Hattori Hanzo wrote:

I didn't know we had to write an essay about what we did over the summer?!

edit: I just went back to check the form, and they only ask where you were employed and the pay.

Yeah.

Sogui

Postby Sogui » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:57 pm

He was probably being cheeky about the summer part. I found it difficult to write the bio when the 'sample' had Jane Doe getting a masters from the Kennedy school, etc...

Anyone think the price of a one way ticket to NYC is going to go down before the 13th?

Alyssa

Postby Alyssa » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:08 pm

Sogui wrote:He was probably being cheeky about the summer part. I found it difficult to write the bio when the 'sample' had Jane Doe getting a masters from the Kennedy school, etc...

Anyone think the price of a one way ticket to NYC is going to go down before the 13th?

Where from?

Sogui

Postby Sogui » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:17 pm

Alyssa wrote:
Sogui wrote:He was probably being cheeky about the summer part. I found it difficult to write the bio when the 'sample' had Jane Doe getting a masters from the Kennedy school, etc...

Where from?

Dallas-Fort Worth

CG614

Postby CG614 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:28 pm

Foozle wrote:

REGI L0002 sec 001

+1

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”