Columbia 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
parker09

Re: Columbia 2013

Postby parker09 » Sat May 22, 2010 5:54 am

julesm2200 wrote:How did you find out it was a guy? I just got their names and emails, and its not like the columbia directory lists gender... Don't mean to sound accusatory, I'm rreally iust wondering. Because I remember them saying you had to sign a special form to get co-ed by apt housing, so that would be crazy

This is the part where I'm really going to sound like a creeper... but let's say it was a combination of AdmitNet giving undergrad school, and facebook (profile pic and also the little bit of profile I can see says "male").

of Benito Cereno

Postby of Benito Cereno » Sat May 22, 2010 6:14 am

newhere09 wrote:Getting my housing assignment has lured me out of a year of lurking. I'm in Lionsgate in a 3-person share and it looks like one of the rooms is substantially bigger than the other two and comes with a private bathroom. For those of you who could tell that you were assigned to one room in particular, where did you see this? My email does list each person as XA-1, XA-2, and XA-3 but the floorplan doesn't have numbers listed next to the rooms. Wondering if it is assigned but I didn't see it properly or if we need to agree on who gets what room between ourselves.

Also, any one else in Lionsgate? I like the idea of playing it safe for the first year so I actually requested Lionsgate and am happy to be there. Would have preferred a 2-bedroom share rather than a 3-bedroom but it appears there are 2 bathroom so seems okay.

Housing assignment = shit is getting real!

you got a floorplan?

Hattori Hanzo

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Sat May 22, 2010 7:11 am

parker09 wrote:
julesm2200 wrote:How did you find out it was a guy? I just got their names and emails, and its not like the columbia directory lists gender... Don't mean to sound accusatory, I'm rreally iust wondering. Because I remember them saying you had to sign a special form to get co-ed by apt housing, so that would be crazy

This is the part where I'm really going to sound like a creeper... but let's say it was a combination of AdmitNet giving undergrad school, and facebook (profile pic and also the little bit of profile I can see says "male").

:shock:

Tofu

Postby Tofu » Sat May 22, 2010 7:58 am

Hattori Hanzo wrote:
parker09 wrote:

Hahaha I like how the text for that is ":shock:"

parker09

Postby parker09 » Sat May 22, 2010 8:03 am

Hattori Hanzo wrote:
parker09 wrote:

:shock: at my creeperness? Aww. I thought facebooking a name+school was pretty much what people did these days... :oops:

Tofu

Postby Tofu » Sat May 22, 2010 8:08 am

parker09 wrote:
Hattori Hanzo wrote:
parker09 wrote:

:shock: at my creeperness? Aww. I thought facebooking a name+school was pretty much what people did these days... :oops:

pretty much

CG614

Postby CG614 » Sat May 22, 2010 8:09 am

parker09 wrote:
Hattori Hanzo wrote:
parker09 wrote:

That is protocol, especially for a potential roommate. We look up people all the time on Facebook when making hiring decisions at my job. Word of advice, make EVERYTHING "friends only".

maudlinstreet

Postby maudlinstreet » Sat May 22, 2010 2:15 pm

CG614 wrote:
parker09 wrote:
Hattori Hanzo wrote:
parker09 wrote:This is the part where I'm really going to sound like a creeper... but let's say it was a combination of AdmitNet giving undergrad school, and facebook (profile pic and also the little bit of profile I can see says "male").

That is protocol, especially for a potential roommate. We look up people all the time on Facebook when making hiring decisions at my job. Word of advice, make EVERYTHING "friends only".

+1. In all seriousness, I really don't understand why it's "creepy" to look up who you're going to live with for the next year. I think it's natural to be curious about what your roommates look like / what they're interested in / etc.

Hattori Hanzo

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Sat May 22, 2010 5:01 pm

I was :shock: at WHY it would be considered creepy and how that'd make me a mega creep :P

Tofu

Postby Tofu » Sat May 22, 2010 5:10 pm

maudlinstreet wrote:+1. In all seriousness, I really don't understand why it's "creepy" to look up who you're going to live with for the next year. I think it's natural to be curious about what your roommates look like / what they're interested in / etc.

so i hear effort won three in a row

maudlinstreet

Postby maudlinstreet » Sat May 22, 2010 5:15 pm

Hattori Hanzo wrote:I was :shock: at WHY it would be considered creepy and how that'd make me a mega creep :P

ah well, forget my outrage then :P

parker09

Postby parker09 » Sat May 22, 2010 5:52 pm

Hattori Hanzo wrote:I was :shock: at WHY it would be considered creepy and how that'd make me a mega creep :P

Oh, whew. Good to know that I'm still at "normal everyday creepy" (as are you) and neither of us is a mega creep.

highprofessionalism

Postby highprofessionalism » Sun May 23, 2010 5:04 am

lemonpie wrote:
highprofessionalism wrote:
parker09 wrote:Does any one know what furniture the furnished apartments actually contain? I'm guessing that bedrooms have a bed, desk, and some sort of dresser/chest thing, but what about the living room and kitchen?

Edit: Hah, I really ought to research BEFORE I post questions...

http://facilities.columbia.edu/housing/ ... mmodations says: "With regard to furnished accommodations, each bedroom typically includes a desk, chair, dresser and lamp and a twin-long bed (39"x80") or a full size bed (54"x75") for couples. The living rooms and kitchens in apartments also include a couch, additional chairs and a table with chairs. Furnishings may vary based on the different apartment/room sizes and layouts. UAH does not provide linens, cooking utensils, dishes, cutlery, air conditioners, dishwashers, or area rugs for any units. Students are responsible for providing rugs that cover 80% of the floor area to comply with the terms of the lease."

Not bad. Beats my college dorms, which had nothing in the living room. I wonder how strict they are about this "80%-covering rug" business.

FYI, the furniture they provide is ugly as hell. On the (potentially) bright side, the "80%-covering rug business" isn't always enforced - it's really up to the super in your building and how much of a stickler he feels like being. Although, as you will see by the loudness of your upstairs neighbors, maybe the rugs wouldn't be so bad. This also sort of depends on each building and how thin the walls/floors/ceilings are.

By the way, my partner is an up-and-coming third year PhD candidate in physics at Columbia, which is why I am already familiar with the grad student housing.

The buildings look old. Is it nice inside?

Oh. Fail on responding to this in a timely manner. Anyway, it REALLY depends on the building. Some buildings haven't been repaired in a while and are pretty dingy - one of the bathroom walls in my partner's first apt actually caved in when he leaned on it one day, and he is a thin fellow - but others have apts that have been entirely renovated and are pretty sexy. We got couple's housing starting this next year and most of those buildings are reaaaaaaallllly nice as Columbia housing goes. Guess everyone here better start pairing up. :wink:

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Sun May 23, 2010 11:35 am

parker09 wrote:

Oh, whew. Good to know that I'm still at "normal everyday creepy" (as are you) and neither of us is a mega creep.

haha, I was reading this and was :oops: at how I would be considered a creeper for facebooking my roommates...glad no one actually thinks it's creepy. I agree that's pretty much the standard nowadays.

maudlinstreet

Postby maudlinstreet » Mon May 24, 2010 12:57 pm

hey everyone - looks like they might have pushed the loan application back again to june 15th while they figure everything out.

http://www.law.columbia.edu/current_stu ... w_to_apply

CG614

Postby CG614 » Mon May 24, 2010 2:02 pm

Just deposited for housing. I'll be in a 2 bedroom share on 115th! Crap, this is getting real, fast! ;)

rx3r

Postby rx3r » Mon May 24, 2010 2:20 pm

maudlinstreet wrote:hey everyone - looks like they might have pushed the loan application back again to june 15th while they figure everything out.

http://www.law.columbia.edu/current_stu ... w_to_apply

:?

muahawhawhaw

Postby muahawhawhaw » Mon May 24, 2010 2:20 pm

blue5385 wrote:
parker09 wrote:

haha, I was reading this and was :oops: at how I would be considered a creeper for facebooking my roommates...glad no one actually thinks it's creepy. I agree that's pretty much the standard nowadays.

Lolz I guess I'm a 'normal' creep too, not that I really care what anybody thinks (people either don't notice or don't care anyways, so what's the big fuss?).

On a side note, I too was surprised to find that I am in a co-ed apartment.

Anybody know anything about the 523 West 112th apartments? I'm hoping they're not one of the older ones... I lived in an old apt. for a year in undergrad and had to shower in cold water for a year.

TobiasFunke

Postby TobiasFunke » Mon May 24, 2010 4:38 pm

Last edited by TobiasFunke on Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Mon May 24, 2010 4:43 pm

TobiasFunke wrote:I'm guessing you were given the names of the dudes living there NOW, but you'll live with girls in fall. I was just assigned to two chicks, and after e-mailing them, it looks like they're living there now and vacating within the month. My new roommates haven't been assigned to me yet.

ohhhh...now I understand why one of the people I was assigned as a roommate has a '10 graduation date. I was really confused about that, but this cleared it up.

examplepdf

Postby examplepdf » Mon May 24, 2010 4:49 pm

eleted
Last edited by examplepdf on Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Foozle

Postby Foozle » Mon May 24, 2010 5:11 pm

examplepdf wrote:Also: I haven't done anything about financial stuff since I got my award letter months ago, but it seems like the deadline's been extended til June 15? Is it silly of me to just be waiting around doing nothing until CLS emails me about loans or is that what everyone else is doing too?

This is pretty much what I've been doing also.

CG614

Postby CG614 » Mon May 24, 2010 5:45 pm

blue5385 wrote:
TobiasFunke wrote:I'm guessing you were given the names of the dudes living there NOW, but you'll live with girls in fall. I was just assigned to two chicks, and after e-mailing them, it looks like they're living there now and vacating within the month. My new roommates haven't been assigned to me yet.

ohhhh...now I understand why one of the people I was assigned as a roommate has a '10 graduation date. I was really confused about that, but this cleared it up.

I e-mailed them about this, cause my roommate they had for me has a different name as his roommate. And they said that the system sends out the e-mails with the current resident's information, if all the names are not updated. So, that is likely the cause.

parker09

Postby parker09 » Tue May 25, 2010 3:06 am

Hmm, both of mine are listed on AdmitNet as application year 2010, and are in the Class of 2013 facebook group... I think in my case, these are my current roommates (if they accepted by last Sunday, that is).

Glad you guys got sorted out though. That's way confusing.

Foozle

Postby Foozle » Tue May 25, 2010 10:52 am

I got one email listing a roommate (LLM student, admission year 2009) then I got another listing a different roommate (our class) so I assume the first was the person living there now, and the second is my future roommate. However, both emails listed the roommate in one of the rooms as "Roommate Information Not Available" (I got a 3 BR share).

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”