Columbia 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
maudlinstreet

Re: Columbia 2013

Postby maudlinstreet » Fri May 21, 2010 2:33 pm

bloodonthetracks wrote:
rx3r wrote:
bloodonthetracks wrote:did anyone get an assignment completely contrary to what you asked for? i stressed that i wanted a studio...and they just gave me a apartment share.

UGH... this freaks me out. WTF is the point of detailing your preferences if they just assign you something random anyway? Sigh. Still no housing assignment here and reading this thread stresses me out.

i honestly don't know what happened. i was very specific about what i wanted (a studio or a one-bedroom, willing to pay above average for one). i feel like they didn't even read my application. to boot, they don't return my phone calls or emails...and i have one more business day to decide whether to take it. i'm so pissed.

Haha, I've tried calling them a bunch of times today and I can never get through. I even left them a message, but I'm skeptical that they'll call me back. Boooo to CLS housing!

Dtackpat75

Postby Dtackpat75 » Fri May 21, 2010 2:42 pm

maudlinstreet wrote:
Dtackpat75 wrote:Anybody who got 411 West 115th care to share what apartment they are in? 22?

ha, I'm in 22 :) your e-mail says it comes unfurnished as well, right? looking forward to meeting you, unless I somehow get switched around to a furnished apartment :P

pm'ed

maudlinstreet

Postby maudlinstreet » Fri May 21, 2010 2:49 pm

Dtackpat75 wrote:
maudlinstreet wrote:
Dtackpat75 wrote:Anybody who got 411 West 115th care to share what apartment they are in? 22?

ha, I'm in 22 :) your e-mail says it comes unfurnished as well, right? looking forward to meeting you, unless I somehow get switched around to a furnished apartment :P

pm'ed

aaannd responded

of Benito Cereno

Postby of Benito Cereno » Fri May 21, 2010 2:59 pm

maudlinstreet wrote:
Dtackpat75 wrote:
maudlinstreet wrote:

pm'ed

aaannd responded

what a sweet moment. I'm so happy I was here for it.

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Fri May 21, 2010 3:04 pm

rx3r wrote:
bloodonthetracks wrote:did anyone get an assignment completely contrary to what you asked for? i stressed that i wanted a studio...and they just gave me a apartment share.

UGH... this freaks me out. WTF is the point of detailing your preferences if they just assign you something random anyway? Sigh. Still no housing assignment here and reading this thread stresses me out.

Same here, especially since the people who put down the same preferences as me have gotten theirs. It makes me think I'll be stuck with something crappy that's totally contrary to what I wanted. :evil:

rx3r

Postby rx3r » Fri May 21, 2010 3:24 pm

blue5385 wrote:
rx3r wrote:

Same here, especially since the people who put down the same preferences as me have gotten theirs. It makes me think I'll be stuck with something crappy that's totally contrary to what I wanted. :evil:

Me too. Freaking CLS, you are giving me an ulcer.

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Fri May 21, 2010 3:26 pm

rx3r wrote:
blue5385 wrote:
rx3r wrote:

This is starting to get almost as stressful as applying. I'm checking my status checker way more than I ever did during app season.

EDIT: Got my offer, also at 411 W. 115th! See a bunch of you in the fall! :mrgreen:

Another edit- Also totally confused because one of my roommates has a '10 graduation date but is still in Columbia housing. Oh well, whatever. Kind of bummed about having older roommates because it won't be as easy to make friends with people who already have their own law school social circle, but happy to have my assignment!
Last edited by blue5385 on Fri May 21, 2010 3:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rx3r

Postby rx3r » Fri May 21, 2010 3:38 pm

blue5385 wrote:
rx3r wrote:

This is starting to get almost as stressful as applying. I'm checking my status checker way more than I ever did during app season.

EDIT: Got my offer, also at 411 W. 115th! See a bunch of you in the fall! :mrgreen:

GAH where is my offer!?!

Hattori Hanzo

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Fri May 21, 2010 4:52 pm

nateDgr8 wrote:
nateDgr8 wrote:
of Benito Cereno wrote:only just now received an email that my housing application has been "approved." what's the time-frame been between this email and actually receiving an assignment?

+1 I recieved the same email and have the same question.

Just recieved my assignment. Studio at 420 W 116th.

Same here. Which number are u? Is there a way for us to see the floor plans?

bloodonthetracks

Postby bloodonthetracks » Fri May 21, 2010 5:52 pm

it's incredible that these housing people give you a measly five days (including the weekend days when they are closed) to decide...and yet nobody will pick up the phone or return an email. i can't even TELL them that they screwed up with my app (they clearly misunderstood what i was asking for; someone didn't carefully read what i wrote on the app). i was so excited about columbia...now all i'm getting are bad vibes. /rant

maudlinstreet

Postby maudlinstreet » Fri May 21, 2010 5:53 pm

YEEES! After about a thousand calls to three different numbers (it's hard to get through to the housing people!), I finally found someone who was super helpful and informed me that my unit is in fact furnished. CRISIS AVERTED!

maudlinstreet

Postby maudlinstreet » Fri May 21, 2010 5:54 pm

bloodonthetracks wrote:it's incredible that these housing people give you a measly five days (including the weekend days when they are closed) to decide...and yet nobody will pick up the phone or return an email. i can't even TELL them that they screwed up with my app (they clearly misunderstood what i was asking for; someone didn't carefully read what i wrote on the app). i was so excited about columbia...now all i'm getting are bad vibes. /rant

I would try giving Juliana Utley (the housing liason) a call. She was super helpful for me and sorted everything out. You can find her number here: http://www.law.columbia.edu/current_stu ... ce/housing.

bloodonthetracks

Postby bloodonthetracks » Fri May 21, 2010 5:55 pm

maudlinstreet wrote:YEEES! After about a thousand calls to three different numbers (it's hard to get through to the housing people!), I finally found someone who was super helpful and informed me that my unit is in fact furnished. CRISIS AVERTED!

thanks

maudlinstreet

Postby maudlinstreet » Fri May 21, 2010 5:59 pm

bloodonthetracks wrote:
maudlinstreet wrote:YEEES! After about a thousand calls to three different numbers (it's hard to get through to the housing people!), I finally found someone who was super helpful and informed me that my unit is in fact furnished. CRISIS AVERTED!

thanks

ha, was this meant as a response to the post about juliana utley, or are you just being sarcastic about my enthusiasm? :P

bloodonthetracks

Postby bloodonthetracks » Fri May 21, 2010 6:01 pm

maudlinstreet wrote:
bloodonthetracks wrote:

thanks

ha, was this meant as a response to the post about juliana utley, or are you just being sarcastic about my enthusiasm? :P

responding to your link...when did you talk to her?

maudlinstreet

Postby maudlinstreet » Fri May 21, 2010 6:03 pm

bloodonthetracks wrote:
maudlinstreet wrote:
bloodonthetracks wrote:

thanks

responding to your link...when did you talk to her?

I actually got through a few minutes after 5 PM. it was just sort of a last ditch desperation call since Francesca Nespoli wasn't picking up. She was really, really nice - she even immediately e-mailed Francesca to make 100% sure that my housing was furnished (and cc'd me on it).

bloodonthetracks

Postby bloodonthetracks » Fri May 21, 2010 6:09 pm

maudlinstreet wrote:I actually got through a few minutes after 5 PM. it was just sort of a last ditch desperation call since Francesca Nespoli wasn't picking up. She was really, really nice - she even immediately e-mailed Francesca to make 100% sure that my housing was furnished (and cc'd me on it).

just sent her an email explaining my predicament. at least you had human contact--it gives me hope.

Tofu

Postby Tofu » Fri May 21, 2010 7:03 pm

rx3r wrote:

If it helps, they gave me one of my preferences.

rx3r

Postby rx3r » Fri May 21, 2010 7:47 pm

Tofu wrote:
rx3r wrote:

That's good. I'll hold on to a shred of hope. Thanks.

parker09

Postby parker09 » Fri May 21, 2010 8:23 pm

Last edited by parker09 on Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rx3r

Postby rx3r » Fri May 21, 2010 8:43 pm

parker09 wrote:Woah, I just realized that one of my potential roommates... is a dude (one of those ambiguous names that I'd just assumed was a girl when I first saw it). I'm a chick, and the third person is a chick.

I marked on the app that I was okay with co-ed housing, but I didn't think they'd do it in the same apartment... I thought it meant like hallway or building...

I don't think I really care, but I'm just a little surprised...

Look at this as a good thing. You only have to share the bathroom with one other girl. More drawer space for you!

holborn

Postby holborn » Fri May 21, 2010 9:35 pm

parker09 wrote:Woah, I just realized that one of my potential roommates... is a dude (one of those ambiguous names that I'd just assumed was a girl when I first saw it). I'm a chick, and the third person is a chick.

I marked on the app that I was okay with co-ed housing, but I didn't think they'd do it in the same apartment... I thought it meant like hallway or building...

How did you find out it was a guy? I just got their names and emails, and its not like the columbia directory lists gender... Don't mean to sound accusatory, I'm rreally iust wondering. Because I remember them saying you had to sign a special form to get co-ed by apt housing, so that would be crazy

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Sat May 22, 2010 1:19 am

Tofu wrote:
rx3r wrote:

Same. They actually gave me everything I requested except for rooming with other 1L students. bloodonthetracks, I'm not sure why they would be so conscientious about taking some people's preferences into account and completely disregard others', it seems totally random to me. Hopefully talking to them will sort it out, good luck.

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Sat May 22, 2010 1:24 am

rx3r wrote:

Look at this as a good thing. You only have to share the bathroom with one other girl. More drawer space for you!

I actually wouldn't mind rooming with guys. IMO, they're not that much messier than girls as roommates, especially when it comes to the bathroom, and there is significantly less potential for misunderstandings & conflict than there is with other girls.

newhere09

Postby newhere09 » Sat May 22, 2010 4:40 am

Getting my housing assignment has lured me out of a year of lurking. I'm in Lionsgate in a 3-person share and it looks like one of the rooms is substantially bigger than the other two and comes with a private bathroom. For those of you who could tell that you were assigned to one room in particular, where did you see this? My email does list each person as XA-1, XA-2, and XA-3 but the floorplan doesn't have numbers listed next to the rooms. Wondering if it is assigned but I didn't see it properly or if we need to agree on who gets what room between ourselves.

Also, any one else in Lionsgate? I like the idea of playing it safe for the first year so I actually requested Lionsgate and am happy to be there. Would have preferred a 2-bedroom share rather than a 3-bedroom but it appears there are 2 bathroom so seems okay.

Housing assignment = shit is getting real!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”