Columbia 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
bloodonthetracks

Re: Columbia 2013

Postby bloodonthetracks » Thu May 20, 2010 4:05 pm

did anyone get an assignment completely contrary to what you asked for? i stressed that i wanted a studio...and they just gave me a apartment share.

swc65

Postby swc65 » Thu May 20, 2010 5:22 pm

nateDgr8 wrote:
nateDgr8 wrote:
of Benito Cereno wrote:only just now received an email that my housing application has been "approved." what's the time-frame been between this email and actually receiving an assignment?

+1 I recieved the same email and have the same question.

Just recieved my assignment. Studio at 420 W 116th.

wow that's a short walk to class!

CG614

Postby CG614 » Thu May 20, 2010 5:27 pm

2 Bedroom Apt Share on 115th... now I have 5 days to decide if I want it, or if I want to fend for myself to find a place. Not an easy decision.

parker09

Postby parker09 » Fri May 21, 2010 4:15 am

Does any one know what furniture the furnished apartments actually contain? I'm guessing that bedrooms have a bed, desk, and some sort of dresser/chest thing, but what about the living room and kitchen?

Edit: Hah, I really ought to research BEFORE I post questions...

http://facilities.columbia.edu/housing/ ... mmodations says: "With regard to furnished accommodations, each bedroom typically includes a desk, chair, dresser and lamp and a twin-long bed (39"x80") or a full size bed (54"x75") for couples. The living rooms and kitchens in apartments also include a couch, additional chairs and a table with chairs. Furnishings may vary based on the different apartment/room sizes and layouts. UAH does not provide linens, cooking utensils, dishes, cutlery, air conditioners, dishwashers, or area rugs for any units. Students are responsible for providing rugs that cover 80% of the floor area to comply with the terms of the lease."

Not bad. Beats my college dorms, which had nothing in the living room. I wonder how strict they are about this "80%-covering rug" business.

highprofessionalism

Postby highprofessionalism » Fri May 21, 2010 4:34 am

parker09 wrote:Does any one know what furniture the furnished apartments actually contain? I'm guessing that bedrooms have a bed, desk, and some sort of dresser/chest thing, but what about the living room and kitchen?

http://facilities.columbia.edu/housing/ ... mmodations says: "With regard to furnished accommodations, each bedroom typically includes a desk, chair, dresser and lamp and a twin-long bed (39"x80") or a full size bed (54"x75") for couples. The living rooms and kitchens in apartments also include a couch, additional chairs and a table with chairs. Furnishings may vary based on the different apartment/room sizes and layouts. UAH does not provide linens, cooking utensils, dishes, cutlery, air conditioners, dishwashers, or area rugs for any units. Students are responsible for providing rugs that cover 80% of the floor area to comply with the terms of the lease."

Not bad. Beats my college dorms, which had nothing in the living room. I wonder how strict they are about this "80%-covering rug" business.

FYI, the furniture they provide is ugly as hell. On the (potentially) bright side, the "80%-covering rug business" isn't always enforced - it's really up to the super in your building and how much of a stickler he feels like being. Although, as you will see by the loudness of your upstairs neighbors, maybe the rugs wouldn't be so bad. This also sort of depends on each building and how thin the walls/floors/ceilings are.

By the way, my partner is an up-and-coming third year PhD candidate in physics at Columbia, which is why I am already familiar with the grad student housing.

parker09

Postby parker09 » Fri May 21, 2010 5:18 am

highprofessionalism wrote:FYI, the furniture they provide is ugly as hell.

Yeah, I've heard this :( I actually requested unfurnished, but oh well. It will make moving in a little easier though, since I don't own any of my own furniture yet. Ah well!

Tofu

Postby Tofu » Fri May 21, 2010 7:26 am

All this housing talk makes me impatient.

Andddddd while typing that, I decided to go check the application status. It now says, "UAH is in the process of assigning you housing"!

Anyone know how long it usually takes for the e-mail to arrive after the status checker says that?

Foozle

Postby Foozle » Fri May 21, 2010 10:29 am

Tofu wrote:All this housing talk makes me impatient.

Andddddd while typing that, I decided to go check the application status. It now says, "UAH is in the process of assigning you housing"!

Anyone know how long it usually takes for the e-mail to arrive after the status checker says that?

I just checked after reading this post, and I'm at the same stage.

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Fri May 21, 2010 10:52 am

Tofu wrote:All this housing talk makes me impatient.

Mine says that too. Finally! :D

Also, for the people who have gotten an assignment in a housing share, did they tell you who your roommates were going to be? If I get my preference & end up in a share, I would like to talk to my roommates soon and coordinate who's bringing what for the apartment (and of course get to know them before we move in together).

lemonpie

Postby lemonpie » Fri May 21, 2010 11:13 am

highprofessionalism wrote:
parker09 wrote:Does any one know what furniture the furnished apartments actually contain? I'm guessing that bedrooms have a bed, desk, and some sort of dresser/chest thing, but what about the living room and kitchen?

FYI, the furniture they provide is ugly as hell. On the (potentially) bright side, the "80%-covering rug business" isn't always enforced - it's really up to the super in your building and how much of a stickler he feels like being. Although, as you will see by the loudness of your upstairs neighbors, maybe the rugs wouldn't be so bad. This also sort of depends on each building and how thin the walls/floors/ceilings are.

By the way, my partner is an up-and-coming third year PhD candidate in physics at Columbia, which is why I am already familiar with the grad student housing.

The buildings look old. Is it nice inside?

1800calturk

Postby 1800calturk » Fri May 21, 2010 11:17 am

bloodonthetracks wrote:did anyone get an assignment completely contrary to what you asked for? i stressed that i wanted a studio...and they just gave me a apartment share.

Happened to me too. Eh i'll take what I can get, it is freakin NYC after all.

lemonpie

Postby lemonpie » Fri May 21, 2010 11:21 am

Is the lease for 9months?

Foozle

Postby Foozle » Fri May 21, 2010 12:31 pm

Got mine:

411 West 115th Street

parker09

Postby parker09 » Fri May 21, 2010 12:31 pm

blue5385 wrote: Also, for the people who have gotten an assignment in a housing share, did they tell you who your roommates were going to be? If I get my preference & end up in a share, I would like to talk to my roommates soon and coordinate who's bringing what for the apartment (and of course get to know them before we move in together).

Yep, you get names and email addresses.

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Fri May 21, 2010 12:33 pm

parker09 wrote:Yep, you get names and email addresses.

thanks parker!

Foozle wrote:Got mine:

411 West 115th Street

WANT. Hurry up, UAH!

1800calturk

Postby 1800calturk » Fri May 21, 2010 12:40 pm

This is just a random thought that I don't know why I'm sharing with you guys, but we're about to be living in New York. Anyone else find that freakin nuts? I can't even believe it.

swc65

Postby swc65 » Fri May 21, 2010 12:44 pm

1800calturk wrote:This is just a random thought that I don't know why I'm sharing with you guys, but we're about to be living in New York. Anyone else find that freakin nuts? I can't even believe it.

I am coming from Ithaca, so yeah, I am excited about being near civilization.

maudlinstreet

Postby maudlinstreet » Fri May 21, 2010 1:18 pm

Bah, I got my assignment as well. I also got one on 411 West 115th st. The price is fine, but it says it comes unfurnished. What's up with that? The housing website said that all of the "400" block came pre-furnished. I'm the type of person that couldn't give a crap what their furniture looks like, so I was looking forward to not having to deal with renting things. Oh well.

Edit: Haha, the housing website says: "Approximately 80% of the three and four bedroom apartments are furnished and include the cost of utilities (cooking gas and electricity, not telephone)." I couldn't be one of the 80%? BAH!

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Fri May 21, 2010 1:22 pm

maudlinstreet wrote:Bah, I got my assignment as well. I also got one on 411 West 115th st. The price is fine, but it says it comes unfurnished. What's up with that? The housing website said that all of the "400" block came pre-furnished. I'm the type of person that couldn't give a crap what their furniture looks like, so I was looking forward to not having to deal with renting things. Oh well.

That sucks! I read the same thing on the housing website and I'm really counting on my apartment being furnished. Maybe they made a mistake when they said that in the email?

I'm getting kinda worried because it seems like a lot of people have gotten their assignments for the 400 block of 115th, but I haven't gotten mine. I'm sure it'll be fine, but until I get mine I'm :(.

Just saw your edit. That's really bad luck, I'm sorry.

maudlinstreet

Postby maudlinstreet » Fri May 21, 2010 1:49 pm

blue5385 wrote:
maudlinstreet wrote:Bah, I got my assignment as well. I also got one on 411 West 115th st. The price is fine, but it says it comes unfurnished. What's up with that? The housing website said that all of the "400" block came pre-furnished. I'm the type of person that couldn't give a crap what their furniture looks like, so I was looking forward to not having to deal with renting things. Oh well.

That sucks! I read the same thing on the housing website and I'm really counting on my apartment being furnished. Maybe they made a mistake when they said that in the email?

I'm getting kinda worried because it seems like a lot of people have gotten their assignments for the 400 block of 115th, but I haven't gotten mine. I'm sure it'll be fine, but until I get mine I'm :(.

Just saw your edit. That's really bad luck, I'm sorry.

I'm gonna try to give them a call and talk about it, though I'm sure it won't do much good. The 80% quote I pulled from the website actually applies to all Columbia apartment shares, so the 400-block specific quote that "These apartments come furnished" should override the 80% quote. Really, really annoying.

rx3r

Postby rx3r » Fri May 21, 2010 1:55 pm

bloodonthetracks wrote:did anyone get an assignment completely contrary to what you asked for? i stressed that i wanted a studio...and they just gave me a apartment share.

UGH... this freaks me out. WTF is the point of detailing your preferences if they just assign you something random anyway? Sigh. Still no housing assignment here and reading this thread stresses me out.

bloodonthetracks

Postby bloodonthetracks » Fri May 21, 2010 2:00 pm

rx3r wrote:

UGH... this freaks me out. WTF is the point of detailing your preferences if they just assign you something random anyway? Sigh. Still no housing assignment here and reading this thread stresses me out.

i honestly don't know what happened. i was very specific about what i wanted (a studio or a one-bedroom, willing to pay above average for one). i feel like they didn't even read my application. to boot, they don't return my phone calls or emails...and i have one more business day to decide whether to take it. i'm so pissed.

rx3r

Postby rx3r » Fri May 21, 2010 2:05 pm

bloodonthetracks wrote:
rx3r wrote:

i honestly don't know what happened. i was very specific about what i wanted (a studio or a one-bedroom, willing to pay above average for one). i feel like they didn't even read my application. to boot, they don't return my phone calls or emails...and i have one more business day to decide whether to take it. i'm so pissed.

I'm sorry to hear that. I really DON'T want roommates. I haven't had one since 2005 and I don't think I can go back. I also really don't want to find non-CLS housing on my own. At this point, I'm not sure what to expect.

Dtackpat75

Postby Dtackpat75 » Fri May 21, 2010 2:10 pm

Anybody who got 411 West 115th care to share what apartment they are in? 22?

maudlinstreet

Postby maudlinstreet » Fri May 21, 2010 2:18 pm

Dtackpat75 wrote:Anybody who got 411 West 115th care to share what apartment they are in? 22?

ha, I'm in 22 :) your e-mail says it comes unfurnished as well, right? looking forward to meeting you, unless I somehow get switched around to a furnished apartment :P

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”