Columbia 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
User avatar
of Benito Cereno
Posts: 748
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:40 am

Re: Columbia 2013

Postby of Benito Cereno » Tue May 18, 2010 1:23 pm

only just now received an email that my housing application has been "approved." what's the time-frame been between this email and actually receiving an assignment?

User avatar
nateDgr8
Posts: 47
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:07 pm

Re: Columbia 2013

Postby nateDgr8 » Tue May 18, 2010 3:56 pm

of Benito Cereno wrote:only just now received an email that my housing application has been "approved." what's the time-frame been between this email and actually receiving an assignment?


+1 I recieved the same email and have the same question.

holborn
Posts: 347
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: Columbia 2013

Postby holborn » Tue May 18, 2010 3:57 pm

nateDgr8 wrote:
of Benito Cereno wrote:only just now received an email that my housing application has been "approved." what's the time-frame been between this email and actually receiving an assignment?


+1 I recieved the same email and have the same question.


goddamnit. im like the only one left.

User avatar
Foozle
Posts: 166
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:04 pm

Re: Columbia 2013

Postby Foozle » Tue May 18, 2010 4:06 pm

julesm2200 wrote:
nateDgr8 wrote:
of Benito Cereno wrote:only just now received an email that my housing application has been "approved." what's the time-frame been between this email and actually receiving an assignment?


+1 I recieved the same email and have the same question.


goddamnit. im like the only one left.

I'm under review as well.

blue5385
Posts: 895
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:23 am

Re: Columbia 2013

Postby blue5385 » Tue May 18, 2010 4:19 pm

Foozle wrote:
julesm2200 wrote:
nateDgr8 wrote:
of Benito Cereno wrote:only just now received an email that my housing application has been "approved." what's the time-frame been between this email and actually receiving an assignment?


+1 I recieved the same email and have the same question.


goddamnit. im like the only one left.

I'm under review as well.


me too. :( I'm starting to think I'm going to have to find my own housing, which will suck.

AppsAbound
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:04 am

Re: Columbia 2013

Postby AppsAbound » Tue May 18, 2010 4:27 pm

I got the housing application approved email a day before my housing assignment came. Don't give up hope!

User avatar
parker09
Posts: 430
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:15 am

Re: Columbia 2013

Postby parker09 » Tue May 18, 2010 4:53 pm

...
Last edited by parker09 on Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

blue5385
Posts: 895
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:23 am

Re: Columbia 2013

Postby blue5385 » Tue May 18, 2010 4:58 pm

Does anyone know how UAH determines the order in which they review and approve applications? I filled mine out mid-March and still silence (the status checker has shown that I'm under review for awhile now), but people who filled theirs out right before the deadline have already gotten an assignment. I remember julesm posting that the housing office said it was in order of move-in date, but people with an August move-in date (which is what I requested) have already gotten theirs.

User avatar
CG614
Posts: 825
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:26 am

Re: Columbia 2013

Postby CG614 » Tue May 18, 2010 5:02 pm

blue5385 wrote:Does anyone know how UAH determines the order in which they review and approve applications? I filled mine out mid-March and still silence (the status checker has shown that I'm under review for awhile now), but people who filled theirs out right before the deadline have already gotten an assignment. I remember julesm posting that the housing office said it was in order of move-in date, but people with an August move-in date (which is what I requested) have already gotten theirs.


Not sure, but I wouldn't worry too much, Columbia guarantees housing. :-)

http://www.law.columbia.edu/jd_applican ... ns/housing

EDIT: I haven't heard anything either.

blue5385
Posts: 895
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:23 am

Re: Columbia 2013

Postby blue5385 » Tue May 18, 2010 5:04 pm

CG614 wrote:
blue5385 wrote:Does anyone know how UAH determines the order in which they review and approve applications? I filled mine out mid-March and still silence (the status checker has shown that I'm under review for awhile now), but people who filled theirs out right before the deadline have already gotten an assignment. I remember julesm posting that the housing office said it was in order of move-in date, but people with an August move-in date (which is what I requested) have already gotten theirs.


Not sure, but I wouldn't worry too much, Columbia guarantees housing. :-)

http://www.law.columbia.edu/jd_applican ... ns/housing


:D nice. In that case, I just hope I don't get stuck in a dorm room with a communal bathroom...I'm a little too old for that.
Last edited by blue5385 on Tue May 18, 2010 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
maudlinstreet
Posts: 360
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Columbia 2013

Postby maudlinstreet » Tue May 18, 2010 5:05 pm

blue5385 wrote:
CG614 wrote:
blue5385 wrote:Does anyone know how UAH determines the order in which they review and approve applications? I filled mine out mid-March and still silence (the status checker has shown that I'm under review for awhile now), but people who filled theirs out right before the deadline have already gotten an assignment. I remember julesm posting that the housing office said it was in order of move-in date, but people with an August move-in date (which is what I requested) have already gotten theirs.


Not sure, but I wouldn't worry too much, Columbia guarantees housing. :-)

http://www.law.columbia.edu/jd_applican ... ns/housing


:D nice. I just hope I don't get stuck in a dorm room with a communal bathroom...I'm a little too old for that.

naw, I have faith we'll get into 115th st! :)

blue5385
Posts: 895
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:23 am

Re: Columbia 2013

Postby blue5385 » Tue May 18, 2010 5:08 pm

maudlinstreet wrote:
blue5385 wrote:
CG614 wrote:
blue5385 wrote:Does anyone know how UAH determines the order in which they review and approve applications? I filled mine out mid-March and still silence (the status checker has shown that I'm under review for awhile now), but people who filled theirs out right before the deadline have already gotten an assignment. I remember julesm posting that the housing office said it was in order of move-in date, but people with an August move-in date (which is what I requested) have already gotten theirs.


Not sure, but I wouldn't worry too much, Columbia guarantees housing. :-)

http://www.law.columbia.edu/jd_applican ... ns/housing


:D nice. I just hope I don't get stuck in a dorm room with a communal bathroom...I'm a little too old for that.

naw, I have faith we'll get into 115th st! :)


I hope so! imo, it's the perfect combination of proximity to the law school, not having to pay too much (in terms of NYC/other Columbia housing, anyway), & not being lonely (provided my roommates aren't mean, filthy, or antisocial :? ).

User avatar
maudlinstreet
Posts: 360
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Columbia 2013

Postby maudlinstreet » Tue May 18, 2010 5:46 pm

blue5385 wrote:I hope so! imo, it's the perfect combination of proximity to the law school, not having to pay too much (in terms of NYC/other Columbia housing, anyway), & not being lonely (provided my roommates aren't mean, filthy, or antisocial :? ).

I agree with all of that! As soon as I saw the price tag and the fact that the apartments come furnished, I was sold. I'm sure our e-mails will be coming soon!

Haha, on another note, I am really entertained by the whole "AdmitNet" thing and how they have space for your favorite books/movies/activities. I actually found someone who has some of the same favorite bands as me, but contacting them just seems really creepy somehow (especially since she's a girl and I'm a dude). Like, I'm going to send her an e-mail and be like, "Hey! I saw you liked [band], let's talk!" Might come across as slightly weeeeird :)

holborn
Posts: 347
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: Columbia 2013

Postby holborn » Tue May 18, 2010 5:52 pm

new theory: it seems that many of us who are still waiting all requested 115th. maybe those will all come out at once, and the silence simply means we have received our first choice in housing :)

CanadianEH
Posts: 88
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:47 am

Re: Columbia 2013

Postby CanadianEH » Tue May 18, 2010 6:11 pm

i too requested 115th and haven't heard yet.

I think we're a lock.

blue5385
Posts: 895
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:23 am

Re: Columbia 2013

Postby blue5385 » Tue May 18, 2010 9:22 pm

maudlinstreet wrote:
blue5385 wrote:I hope so! imo, it's the perfect combination of proximity to the law school, not having to pay too much (in terms of NYC/other Columbia housing, anyway), & not being lonely (provided my roommates aren't mean, filthy, or antisocial :? ).

I agree with all of that! As soon as I saw the price tag and the fact that the apartments come furnished, I was sold. I'm sure our e-mails will be coming soon!

Haha, on another note, I am really entertained by the whole "AdmitNet" thing and how they have space for your favorite books/movies/activities. I actually found someone who has some of the same favorite bands as me, but contacting them just seems really creepy somehow (especially since she's a girl and I'm a dude). Like, I'm going to send her an e-mail and be like, "Hey! I saw you liked [band], let's talk!" Might come across as slightly weeeeird :)


The fact that they're furnished is a huge thing, because I'm not looking to move a uhaul's worth of furniture to NYC (or even worse, trying to buy furniture from IKEA or Craigslist once I get there). A couple people at ASW were talking about how the furniture is actually a negative point since it's of the ugly dorm room variety, but I don't think it's anything some pillows and slipcovers can't fix.

How do you look at people's profiles on AdmitNet? When I logged onto mine, I could edit my profile & go on the message boards, but I couldn't figure out how to look at other people's profiles. Also, what kind of pictures did you guys upload for the id pic? I don't want to use a passport photo since I usually look pretty bad in those, but I don't know if it's acceptable to crop a normal pic & send it (they might want uniform backgrounds or something).

julesm2200 wrote:new theory: it seems that many of us who are still waiting all requested 115th. maybe those will all come out at once, and the silence simply means we have received our first choice in housing :)


I hope so! Maybe it's taking them longer to place us since they have to figure out everyone's preferences in terms of rent and roommates, and they can't just assign a single person to a studio or 1-bdrm.

User avatar
maudlinstreet
Posts: 360
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Columbia 2013

Postby maudlinstreet » Tue May 18, 2010 10:28 pm

blue5385 wrote:The fact that they're furnished is a huge thing, because I'm not looking to move a uhaul's worth of furniture to NYC (or even worse, trying to buy furniture from IKEA or Craigslist once I get there). A couple people at ASW were talking about how the furniture is actually a negative point since it's of the ugly dorm room variety, but I don't think it's anything some pillows and slipcovers can't fix.

How do you look at people's profiles on AdmitNet? When I logged onto mine, I could edit my profile & go on the message boards, but I couldn't figure out how to look at other people's profiles. Also, what kind of pictures did you guys upload for the id pic? I don't want to use a passport photo since I usually look pretty bad in those, but I don't know if it's acceptable to crop a normal pic & send it (they might want uniform backgrounds or something).

Yeah, definitely! I also didn't really want to navigate the whole IKEA / Craigslist thing in a big new city. I've lived in small cities my entire life so just moving in and getting used to things will be enough of a culture shock!

You can look through most peoples' profiles by just typing in a few bits of information in the "Advanced Search" tab. Just pick JD, Admission Year 2010, and type USA for the country. To do a more specific search, you can just add on whatever you're looking for (your favorite band, book, etc.). I haven't looked at many profiles, but it's entertaining to browse through and see what your future classmates will look like!

Speaking of which, I actually haven't uploaded my picture yet - I don't have any suitable ones and need to take one. That being said, I think you can just crop a normal picture and upload it. I think by passport style photo they just mean they want a frontal facial shot. I don't think it matters too much what the background is! This is kind of all conjecture, but the majority of the photos that people have uploaded don't have a plain background.

Tofu
Posts: 249
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:18 pm

Re: Columbia 2013

Postby Tofu » Wed May 19, 2010 12:08 am

maudlinstreet wrote:You can look through most peoples' profiles by just typing in a few bits of information in the "Advanced Search" tab. Just pick JD, Admission Year 2010, and type USA for the country. To do a more specific search, you can just add on whatever you're looking for (your favorite band, book, etc.). I haven't looked at many profiles, but it's entertaining to browse through and see what your future classmates will look like!

Speaking of which, I actually haven't uploaded my picture yet - I don't have any suitable ones and need to take one. That being said, I think you can just crop a normal picture and upload it. I think by passport style photo they just mean they want a frontal facial shot. I don't think it matters too much what the background is! This is kind of all conjecture, but the majority of the photos that people have uploaded don't have a plain background.


creeperrrrr

User avatar
maudlinstreet
Posts: 360
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Columbia 2013

Postby maudlinstreet » Wed May 19, 2010 12:35 am

Tofu wrote:
maudlinstreet wrote:You can look through most peoples' profiles by just typing in a few bits of information in the "Advanced Search" tab. Just pick JD, Admission Year 2010, and type USA for the country. To do a more specific search, you can just add on whatever you're looking for (your favorite band, book, etc.). I haven't looked at many profiles, but it's entertaining to browse through and see what your future classmates will look like!

Speaking of which, I actually haven't uploaded my picture yet - I don't have any suitable ones and need to take one. That being said, I think you can just crop a normal picture and upload it. I think by passport style photo they just mean they want a frontal facial shot. I don't think it matters too much what the background is! This is kind of all conjecture, but the majority of the photos that people have uploaded don't have a plain background.


creeperrrrr

Hahaha. This is exactly why I don't try contacting anyone! I'm just excited about next year and want to see who I'll be going to school with :(

Now when the hell are we gonna play SC2? We should just do 2v2 sometime - I'm free TONIGHT!

User avatar
CG614
Posts: 825
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:26 am

Re: Columbia 2013

Postby CG614 » Wed May 19, 2010 8:19 am

maudlinstreet wrote:
blue5385 wrote:
Also, what kind of pictures did you guys upload for the id pic? I don't want to use a passport photo since I usually look pretty bad in those, but I don't know if it's acceptable to crop a normal pic & send it (they might want uniform backgrounds or something).


Speaking of which, I actually haven't uploaded my picture yet - I don't have any suitable ones and need to take one. That being said, I think you can just crop a normal picture and upload it. I think by passport style photo they just mean they want a frontal facial shot. I don't think it matters too much what the background is! This is kind of all conjecture, but the majority of the photos that people have uploaded don't have a plain background.



There are instructions on the photo, but they do require a white or cream background. There is even a little tutorial video to help those that can't read good and want to learn to do other stuff good too. ;)


PS. The last sentence is a joke on the fact that there is even a video and a Zoolander reference. Just wanted to make sure nobody thought I was mocking them. :-D

User avatar
Alyssa
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 2:20 pm

Re: Columbia 2013

Postby Alyssa » Wed May 19, 2010 8:31 am

CG614 wrote:
maudlinstreet wrote:
blue5385 wrote:
Also, what kind of pictures did you guys upload for the id pic? I don't want to use a passport photo since I usually look pretty bad in those, but I don't know if it's acceptable to crop a normal pic & send it (they might want uniform backgrounds or something).


Speaking of which, I actually haven't uploaded my picture yet - I don't have any suitable ones and need to take one. That being said, I think you can just crop a normal picture and upload it. I think by passport style photo they just mean they want a frontal facial shot. I don't think it matters too much what the background is! This is kind of all conjecture, but the majority of the photos that people have uploaded don't have a plain background.



There are instructions on the photo, but they do require a white or cream background. There is even a little tutorial video to help those that can't read good and want to learn to do other stuff good too. ;)


PS. The last sentence is a joke on the fact that there is even a video and a Zoolander reference. Just wanted to make sure nobody thought I was mocking them. :-D


Passport-size photo? What is this, a school for ants?

(I say we continue this thread with more Zoolander quotes)

blue5385
Posts: 895
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:23 am

Re: Columbia 2013

Postby blue5385 » Wed May 19, 2010 10:18 am

CG614 wrote:PS. The last sentence is a joke on the fact that there is even a video and a Zoolander reference. Just wanted to make sure nobody thought I was mocking them. :-D


uhhh, earth to Brint...I was making a joke.
earth to Meekus, duh, ok, I knew that.
earth to Brint, I'm not so sure you did because you were all like, I'm sure he's heard of styling gel, like you DIDN'T know it was a joke!

User avatar
CG614
Posts: 825
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:26 am

Re: Columbia 2013

Postby CG614 » Wed May 19, 2010 10:55 am

Alyssa wrote:
CG614 wrote:
maudlinstreet wrote:
blue5385 wrote:
Also, what kind of pictures did you guys upload for the id pic? I don't want to use a passport photo since I usually look pretty bad in those, but I don't know if it's acceptable to crop a normal pic & send it (they might want uniform backgrounds or something).


Speaking of which, I actually haven't uploaded my picture yet - I don't have any suitable ones and need to take one. That being said, I think you can just crop a normal picture and upload it. I think by passport style photo they just mean they want a frontal facial shot. I don't think it matters too much what the background is! This is kind of all conjecture, but the majority of the photos that people have uploaded don't have a plain background.



There are instructions on the photo, but they do require a white or cream background. There is even a little tutorial video to help those that can't read good and want to learn to do other stuff good too. ;)


PS. The last sentence is a joke on the fact that there is even a video and a Zoolander reference. Just wanted to make sure nobody thought I was mocking them. :-D


Passport-size photo? What is this, a school for ants?

(I say we continue this thread with more Zoolander quotes)


- But why male models?
(Pause)
-Are you serious?? I just told you that a moment ago.

And one of my favs, which I use:
-The files are in the computer.
- They're *in* the computer?

User avatar
Foozle
Posts: 166
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:04 pm

Re: Columbia 2013

Postby Foozle » Wed May 19, 2010 4:24 pm

CanadianEH wrote:i too requested 115th and haven't heard yet.

I think we're a lock.

+1

User avatar
nateDgr8
Posts: 47
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:07 pm

Re: Columbia 2013

Postby nateDgr8 » Wed May 19, 2010 4:42 pm

nateDgr8 wrote:
of Benito Cereno wrote:only just now received an email that my housing application has been "approved." what's the time-frame been between this email and actually receiving an assignment?


+1 I recieved the same email and have the same question.


Just recieved my assignment. Studio at 420 W 116th.




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest