Columbia 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
swc65

Silver

Re: Columbia 2013

Post by swc65 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:36 pm

of Benito Cereno wrote:
swc65 wrote: What do you think about income requirements and about landlords not wanting to rent to a house full of students? Is it easy to get around these impediments? When I move down there it will be just me and my partner and we are both students. Where I used to live, it was very difficult to get a decent apartment unless one of the people on the lease had a steady income that could support the rent.
get a parent to cosign.

I wish it were that easy! That's just not possible in our situation.

chris0805

Silver

Post by chris0805 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:57 pm

of Benito Cereno wrote: I'm not expecting the Ritz, I was just pretty horrified by the apartments at 420 west 116th street. The idea that a one-bedroom in that building could cost over 2k seemed absurd given what else is available in the city. I didn't know 2 bedrooms were available to couples without children. Did you specifically ask for one on your app? Also, had you ever seen your building or apartment before singing the lease. I feel weird signing for something I've never seen. I think lionsgate was recently re-done but I'm afraid a bit of the noise and think i can find a nice 1 bedroom for less on the uws. i'll see what housing gives me before deciding for sure.
Yea, first of all don't do "law school" housing. Either do lionsgate (if you want the nicest) or UAH (if you want to go a little cheaper). I requested a small two bedroom and, if that was not possible in price range, a large one bedroom. I know three couples who have 2 BRs without children, so it does happen. I also requested that I wanted to pay 1500/mth or less if that was at all possible. If that I was not possible, I put my upper limit at 1700/mth. The downside is that I ended up with a crappy kitchen and a non-existent view. The upside is that I saved a ton of money on rent, I got used to cooking in a smaller space, and I can go outside if I need natural light :lol:.

Also, you do get to come in and check it out if you want. I was living in MA at the time so I just drove down to check it out. If you're far away, you can get someone you know to come in and take pictures. You don't have to sign before seeing the apartment.

of Benito Cereno

Silver

Post by of Benito Cereno » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:57 pm

swc65 wrote:
of Benito Cereno wrote:
swc65 wrote: What do you think about income requirements and about landlords not wanting to rent to a house full of students? Is it easy to get around these impediments? When I move down there it will be just me and my partner and we are both students. Where I used to live, it was very difficult to get a decent apartment unless one of the people on the lease had a steady income that could support the rent.
get a parent to cosign.

well then you might have problems, but really i have no idea.

iminlstrick

Bronze

Post by iminlstrick » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:05 am

Is anyone interested in a non-CLS apartment share? I'm sorry, even coming from Chicago where rents can be ridiculous, UAH rents are obscene and completely out of my reach. I'm aiming for 1200 or less/mo in a share with sane people and within 10-15 minutes subway from campus. I currently live 30 minutes walking distance from my graduate department, and it's actually quite nice because it forces me to work in the library during the day (much more effective studying for me), and the walk home feels like an exit away from university madness. Anyone interested?

Dtackpat75

Bronze

Post by Dtackpat75 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:36 am

iminlstrick wrote:Is anyone interested in a non-CLS apartment share? I'm sorry, even coming from Chicago where rents can be ridiculous, UAH rents are obscene and completely out of my reach. I'm aiming for 1200 or less/mo in a share with sane people and within 10-15 minutes subway from campus. I currently live 30 minutes walking distance from my graduate department, and it's actually quite nice because it forces me to work in the library during the day (much more effective studying for me), and the walk home feels like an exit away from university madness. Anyone interested?
That is pretty much what I was told the apartment shares on 115th cost through law school housing. Actually that is on the high end. Plus they are furnished and include all utilities except cable. And I talked to a girls who was paying 800 or something for an apartment share on 112th that was not furnished and did not include utilities, and her apartment was nice and pretty spacious. I mean if you are looking for value I have friends that live in Washington Heights like 190th who split a 3 bedroom for $1900. But ofcourse the neighborhood isn't as nice and it is a decently long commute.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

iminlstrick

Bronze

Post by iminlstrick » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:47 am

Ah yes no I recognize that some of the UAH places fall within that budget, but that's really the high end of mine, and I'd much prefer to live somewhere a bit distanced from the law school (not too far, but far enough that I'm not always surrounded by law students) and where the rooms are bigger and don't automatically include a twin bed (I am SO over single beds at my age).

CG614

Silver

Post by CG614 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:20 am

iminlstrick wrote:Ah yes no I recognize that some of the UAH places fall within that budget, but that's really the high end of mine, and I'd much prefer to live somewhere a bit distanced from the law school (not too far, but far enough that I'm not always surrounded by law students) and where the rooms are bigger and don't automatically include a twin bed (I am SO over single beds at my age).
That can't be true. The furnished apartments have single beds? They have to be at least doubles, right?

Dtackpat75

Bronze

Post by Dtackpat75 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:32 am

CG614 wrote:
iminlstrick wrote:Ah yes no I recognize that some of the UAH places fall within that budget, but that's really the high end of mine, and I'd much prefer to live somewhere a bit distanced from the law school (not too far, but far enough that I'm not always surrounded by law students) and where the rooms are bigger and don't automatically include a twin bed (I am SO over single beds at my age).
That can't be true. The furnished apartments have single beds? They have to be at least doubles, right?
I don't know what they came with originally probably the standard twin since everything else was standard dorm furniture. But the guy's in the apartment had full size beds.

CG614

Silver

Post by CG614 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:54 am

Dtackpat75 wrote:
CG614 wrote:
I don't know what they came with originally probably the standard twin since everything else was standard dorm furniture. But the guy's in the apartment had full size beds.
I will have to change it if that's the case, as I am 6'3". Don't think I'll can fit a twin. I am doing a one and done approach on law school housing. I think it will be good for the first year to be close to all the resources, then I'll certainly want to move off campus, but still not too far away.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Nixer

New

Post by Nixer » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:20 am

swc65 wrote:
of Benito Cereno wrote:
get a parent to cosign.

Having lived in New York for the last few years (the last two on the Upper West Side), I just wanted to throw in my two cents here. Income requirements in New York are INSANE, and even more ridiculous if you need a parent to act as a guarantor. The actual requirements will differ by building, but I've definitely been in the situation of needing to make fifty times the monthly rent (much more if there is a guarantor). Subletting apartments without fulfilling this requirement is possible, but difficult. Definitely be cautious of what you find on Craigslist, and perhaps even more so of New York City brokers--some are great, but often they aren't the most honest group, and the listings you'll see on the site are rarely available apartments. I found my last apartment by searching by owner on Craigslist and happened to luck out, but I don't think that's common. As for Columbia housing, law school specific apartments certainly aren't much below market value, but you wont need an income. Non law school graduate housing seems to be a better (and cheaper) option. If anyone wants more info about living in NYC, feel free to message me.

jasonportwood

New

Post by jasonportwood » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:56 am

Dtackpat75 wrote:I mean if you are looking for value I have friends that live in Washington Heights like 190th who split a 3 bedroom for $1900. But ofcourse the neighborhood isn't as nice and it is a decently long commute.
I second the Washington Heights suggestion for those looking for space and a good deal. I live in a huge (by Manhattan, and even non-Manhattan standards) 1 br for $1,000 a month - a short walk from both the 190th street 1 and A trains. It's also right near two of Manhattan's best parks, Fort Tryon & Inwood Hill Park, so great for a quick green escape from the city. Unfortunately I will be moving out because the significant other, who will not be attending law school, wants to be closer to the downtown action, but I imagine as 1L's this won't be too much of a consideration.

You could get good deals off the 1 train even closer to Columbia, though - areas near the 137th and 145th stations off the 1 are both increasingly populated by Columbia folks and young professionals looking for a good deal.

And yes, there are certain parts of these neighborhoods that could be sketchy, but if you do your research and are considerate you'll be fine. I've never had major issues in 3 years living up here.

protokurios

Bronze

Post by protokurios » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:25 pm

Submitted my deposit and housing app last week!

blue5385

Silver

Post by blue5385 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:57 pm

CG614 wrote:
Dtackpat75 wrote:
CG614 wrote:
I will have to change it if that's the case, as I am 6'3". Don't think I'll can fit a twin. I am doing a one and done approach on law school housing. I think it will be good for the first year to be close to all the resources, then I'll certainly want to move off campus, but still not too far away.
re the twin beds, when I did the apartment viewing at ASW, the people whose apartments I saw (in the 115th building) all had full-size beds. They said the building can put the twin beds into storage for you. That was an issue for me since I don't like twin beds either, but it seems not to be much of a problem.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

of Benito Cereno

Silver

Post by of Benito Cereno » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:26 pm

lame, deposit paid a week ago and still not in the directory. also, adults, as a rule, do no sleep in twin beds.

maudlinstreet

Bronze

Post by maudlinstreet » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:34 pm

haha, I've slept in a twin bed my entire life. :? ah well, I guess I'll feel right at home! I requested the "400" block on 115th st. with the apartment shares, since I figure having a few other people around won't be a terrible thing.

justbluemyself

New

Post by justbluemyself » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:35 am

Hey guys! Will likely be joining you all next year.

In my typical slacker form, forgot about the housing deadline until, oh, about 20 minutes ago. I emailed a 2l friend who told me UAH is the best and cheapest, but she was running to a final and couldn't really elaborate. Could someone fill me in on what UAH housing entails in terms of location? And perhaps editorialize on if she's right or not?

of Benito Cereno

Silver

Post by of Benito Cereno » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:03 pm

I'm also curious about that as I saw the building at 116th which was really dumpy but I'm wondering if the UAH buildings are better maintained.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Foozle

Bronze

Post by Foozle » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:04 pm

Deposited on Monday, found myself in the directory/created an email account today.

of Benito Cereno

Silver

Post by of Benito Cereno » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:08 pm

Foozle wrote:Deposited on Monday, found myself in the directory/created an email account today.
seriously. Lame, I deposited last thursday and still can't find myself. Now I'm wondering if my deposit didn't work or something.

Foozle

Bronze

Post by Foozle » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:16 pm

of Benito Cereno wrote:
Foozle wrote:Deposited on Monday, found myself in the directory/created an email account today.
seriously. Lame, I deposited last thursday and still can't find myself. Now I'm wondering if my deposit didn't work or something.
I wondered the same. What I did was go back to the "Enrolling at Columbia" page and tried again. It gave me an error, saying something along the lines of "you've already done this, etc"

blue5385

Silver

Post by blue5385 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:41 pm

maudlinstreet wrote:I requested the "400" block on 115th st. with the apartment shares, since I figure having a few other people around won't be a terrible thing.
Me too! A lot of people seem to be in favor of living alone, but I get lonely and easily creeped out by small noises living by myself. I'm a little worried about living with people I don't know since I haven't done that since freshman year of UG, but I've had good luck with roommates in the past so I hope that continues.

Also, since people were talking about the lack of a confirmation email after submitting their deposit a couple pages ago ITT, I just got a confirmation email this morning & I submitted my deposit early last week. It took 8 days from when I submitted my deposit for me to show up in the university e-mail directory.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MahaloMontana

New

Post by MahaloMontana » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:57 pm

Hi all --
Since I was admitted so late, my deadline for enrollment is not until next week. I looked at the enrollment decision page, and was a little confused. It looks like you actually commit online, but then mail your check in after, instead of paying online. Is that the case? If so, is it just required that you commit by your enrollment deadline, or does the check need to reach Columbia by then? Since I'm in California, I'm a bit concerned. Anyone know?

Foozle

Bronze

Post by Foozle » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:02 pm

MahaloMontana wrote:Hi all --
Since I was admitted so late, my deadline for enrollment is not until next week. I looked at the enrollment decision page, and was a little confused. It looks like you actually commit online, but then mail your check in after, instead of paying online. Is that the case? If so, is it just required that you commit by your enrollment deadline, or does the check need to reach Columbia by then? Since I'm in California, I'm a bit concerned. Anyone know?
Pay by CC

Tofu

Bronze

Post by Tofu » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:16 pm

MahaloMontana wrote:Hi all --
The mail should be postmarked by the deadline. I'm just 95% sure of this, though; you could always e-mail Danielle Flores.

justbluemyself

New

Post by justbluemyself » Sat May 01, 2010 5:02 pm

Deposit has been submitted, housing form has been filled out. I'm starting to get excited!
Last edited by justbluemyself on Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”