Columbia 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
swc65

Silver

Re: Columbia 2013

Post by swc65 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:04 pm

remz wrote:Was anyone else here able to contact UAH and postpone their first month’s payment until loans arrive? With that being said, is anyone worried that loans won’t arrive by the time the first month’s rent is due in September?

yes but you contact Finaid for that. They will send a letter to UAH that states you do not have to pay the tent until you have access to your loans- no specific date given so don't worry if the loans are a little late.

deneuve39

Bronze

Post by deneuve39 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:09 pm

Loans last year came in around August 20th, so you should have them by the time the September rent check comes.

swc65

Silver

Post by swc65 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:49 pm

deneuve39 wrote:Loans last year came in around August 20th, so you should have them by the time the September rent check comes.

that's great to hear. I just hope this switch to all fed loans doesn't delay things.

remz

New

Post by remz » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:55 pm

deneuve39 wrote:Loans last year came in around August 20th, so you should have them by the time the September rent check comes.
That's great. And how long does it take to get a refund after the loans are disbursed to the school? A week or so? It's going to be strange getting thousands of dollars all at once haha.

remz

New

Post by remz » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:02 pm

I had a question about financial aid. I've done everything they said to do in the email. Do FAFSA, fill out the financial aid forms on the Columbia site, complete the MPN. I was just checking the Studentloans.gov site and I tried to fill out the application for a GradPLUS loan. However, I get getting a notification saying that "The school does not accept that award year." Can anyone help me out with this?

Specifically, when and where do we get to specify how much money we want to take out with GradPlus?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Series70

New

Post by Series70 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:45 pm

^ I had the same problem, and so I emailed them back in June. Turns out, you've already done all there is to do: the MPN and the forms on Columbia's site. No need to fill out the application itself.

remz

New

Post by remz » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:58 pm

Series70 wrote:^ I had the same problem, and so I emailed them back in June. Turns out, you've already done all there is to do: the MPN and the forms on Columbia's site. No need to fill out the application itself.
Great! I did the Columbia form about 2 months ago. Was there a place to specify how much money we want to take out on Columbia form?

Sogui

Silver

Post by Sogui » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:33 pm

Anyone get a 2nd enrollment verification today?

It was really wierd... just x in boxes on an unsecured email?

Series70

New

Post by Series70 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:35 pm

Yep, got the same thing and sent it in already.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CG614

Silver

Post by CG614 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:36 pm

Sogui wrote:Anyone get a 2nd enrollment verification today?

It was really wierd... just x in boxes on an unsecured email?
Why would the email need to be secured? Is your LSAC number a secret you want to keep?

Sogui

Silver

Post by Sogui » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:01 am

I don't care too much for security, but compared to NYU which sends password-protected PDF attachments for almost any information.

For a process that is often very formal a bureaucratic, having to manually check boxes in an email text editor felt very sloppy.

Alyssa

New

Post by Alyssa » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:48 am

The Columbia 2012 thread had the same reaction to that email. It seems they haven't changed the email at all since the prior cycles. I don't mind that it's unsecured; it just looks very low-tech.

CG614

Silver

Post by CG614 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:15 am

Alyssa wrote:The Columbia 2012 thread had the same reaction to that email. It seems they haven't changed the email at all since the prior cycles. I don't mind that it's unsecured; it just looks very low-tech.
I thought it was endearing. It was like the note you sent your crush in middle school. Check here if you like me. lol

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Alyssa

New

Post by Alyssa » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:22 am

CG614 wrote:
Alyssa wrote:The Columbia 2012 thread had the same reaction to that email. It seems they haven't changed the email at all since the prior cycles. I don't mind that it's unsecured; it just looks very low-tech.
I thought it was endearing. It was like the note you sent your crush in middle school. Check here if you like me. lol

lol. Totally irrational, but I had to check and recheck to make sure by some crazy mistake I didn't check the wrong box. They're miles away from each other, but that's one of those things I would manage to mess up.

CG614, your last day is this friday too, right? I'll have an extra drink for you. This law school thing is becoming all too real.

CG614

Silver

Post by CG614 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:30 am

Alyssa wrote:
CG614 wrote:

lol. Totally irrational, but I had to check and recheck to make sure by some crazy mistake I didn't check the wrong box. They're miles away from each other, but that's one of those things I would manage to mess up.

CG614, your last day is this friday too, right? I'll have an extra drink for you. This law school thing is becoming all too real.
YES! Last day is in two days. I agree, it is becoming far too real at an alarming rate! I'll return the extra drink favor. ha... I am having a large group of friends hit up Georgetown with me for a big send off. One last crazy DC night! :)

deneuve39

Bronze

Post by deneuve39 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:40 pm

remz wrote:
That's great. And how long does it take to get a refund after the loans are disbursed to the school? A week or so? It's going to be strange getting thousands of dollars all at once haha.
So I looked back at my e-mail, and I got the e-mail saying funds had been disbursed on August 19th. I think it took a couple business days for the money to actually show up in my bank account though.

Dtackpat75

Bronze

Post by Dtackpat75 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:59 pm

CG614 wrote:
Alyssa wrote:
CG614 wrote:

YES! Last day is in two days. I agree, it is becoming far too real at an alarming rate! I'll return the extra drink favor. ha... I am having a large group of friends hit up Georgetown with me for a big send off. One last crazy DC night! :)
Congrats, my last day is not until the 6th super jealous. ENJOY!!!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Series70

New

Post by Series70 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:28 pm

Alyssa wrote: lol. Totally irrational, but I had to check and recheck to make sure by some crazy mistake I didn't check the wrong box. They're miles away from each other, but that's one of those things I would manage to mess up.
I did the same thing, kept checking in my sent-mail folder just to be sure I didn't check the wrong box. Glad I'm not the only one.

JG Hall

Bronze

Post by JG Hall » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:27 pm

Last edited by JG Hall on Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sogui

Silver

Post by Sogui » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:53 pm

Real quick, I doubt I'll get a timely response on this but:

If we are taking summer classes for an August graduation... does Columbia still expect degree conferral confirmation by August 1?

holborn

Bronze

Post by holborn » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:58 pm

Sogui wrote:Real quick, I doubt I'll get a timely response on this but:

If we are taking summer classes for an August graduation... does Columbia still expect degree conferral confirmation by August 1?
I would assume they would make an exception. I had an issue with getting my Dean's certification in due to a miscommunication with my undergad and my being out of the country when it was due. I just emailed them and let them know why it would be a few days late. I don't think they were happy, but they said it was fine.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Sogui

Silver

Post by Sogui » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:38 pm

I talked to them today, it seems they are actually pretty flexible with then they want your transcript.

Too bad my problem ballooned several fold. When I went to apply for graduation I was told I couldn't because I chose to enroll online over the summer instead of in a classroom. Summer classes end on the 16th, but since they have a terminal date the school is fine with graduation applications if you are enrolled in one. So despite the fact I will complete my online class well before the 16th, since I have no way of proving that, they say I must graduate in Fall 2010.

Now I've sent a long email to CLS explaining the situation.

/killmenow

swc65

Silver

Post by swc65 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:34 pm

remz wrote:I had a question about financial aid. I've done everything they said to do in the email. Do FAFSA, fill out the financial aid forms on the Columbia site, complete the MPN. I was just checking the Studentloans.gov site and I tried to fill out the application for a GradPLUS loan. However, I get getting a notification saying that "The school does not accept that award year." Can anyone help me out with this?

Specifically, when and where do we get to specify how much money we want to take out with GradPlus?

You should have specified the amount on the forms you filled out on Columbia's website. http://www.law.columbia.edu/current_stu ... /Loan_Apps

protokurios

Bronze

Post by protokurios » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:42 pm

I'm flying in with my family, luggage, and a few boxes and need to stay at a hotel for the night since I can't sign my lease until the following morning. I think a taxi drive at night into Manhattan and sleeping somewhat close to Columbia will be better than sleeping in Queens near the airport and sitting in rush hour the next morning watching the taxi fare go up and up. Obviously, we're going for cheap, but man, reading the reviews for some of these places is depressing. The hotels really close to Columbia are all booked (should have started looking earlier, but this was a last-minute change in plans). I've been looking mainly in the Upper West Side but are there other areas where I could find cheaper hotels?

I found a 2 double, shared bath at Hotel Alexander (http://www.hotelalexandernyc.com/) for $195 pre-tax. Hope the shared bath isn't too much of a problem for my family...

taylor

New

Post by taylor » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:59 pm

My parents are renting a car and we are staying in a hotel in New Jersey. It is cheaper and it will be cheaper to shop in NJ. But the main reason we are doing it is bc they have to drive to New Haven the next day.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”