UCLA Law Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
User avatar
weee
Posts: 384
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:34 pm

Re: UCLA Law Class of 2013

Postby weee » Tue May 11, 2010 4:49 pm

seyhey0 wrote:Hey - I'm in UCLA Law now... two things - first, while many people do use Macs for notes AND they partition the hard drive for exams, that is not the trend. I would still safely say that over half the students use PCs full time.

Also - and I can't stress this enough - be very wary about using a netbook for exams. They generally have smaller keyboards, and, unless you have a lot of practice typing with them, you will have trouble. Especially because you will be used to typing on your Mac and then will have to use an unfamiliar computer for exams. My strong advice is to use for exams a computer with which you are intimately familiar, and which has a full size keyboard. Trust me, on law school exams, typing is half the battle. OK, maybe 1/3 the battle - but you get the point.


How about a netbook for note taking, and a full size laptop that I will keep at home normally but bring in for exams?

seyhey0
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:32 pm

Re: UCLA Law Class of 2013

Postby seyhey0 » Tue May 11, 2010 4:55 pm

weee wrote:
seyhey0 wrote:Hey - I'm in UCLA Law now... two things - first, while many people do use Macs for notes AND they partition the hard drive for exams, that is not the trend. I would still safely say that over half the students use PCs full time.

Also - and I can't stress this enough - be very wary about using a netbook for exams. They generally have smaller keyboards, and, unless you have a lot of practice typing with them, you will have trouble. Especially because you will be used to typing on your Mac and then will have to use an unfamiliar computer for exams. My strong advice is to use for exams a computer with which you are intimately familiar, and which has a full size keyboard. Trust me, on law school exams, typing is half the battle. OK, maybe 1/3 the battle - but you get the point.


How about a netbook for note taking, and a full size laptop that I will keep at home normally but bring in for exams?


Good idea! That's actually precisely what I do, and I'm very happy. I have a new-ish netbook for notes, and an old trusty Dell that is pushing 4 years old that I use at home and bring in for exams. So far, so good... it needs to get me through 2 more semesters.

seyhey0
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:32 pm

Re: UCLA Law Class of 2013

Postby seyhey0 » Tue May 11, 2010 4:57 pm

Oh and one more reason to not use a netbook on exams - you want a larger screen. The more you can see without wasting time to scroll up and down in the exam software, the better you will be.

Grad09
Posts: 94
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:17 pm

Re: UCLA Law Class of 2013

Postby Grad09 » Tue May 11, 2010 6:49 pm

bicoastal wrote:I requested furnished, but still got an unfurnished townhouse too. Furnished units only started in 09, and perhaps they just don't have enough to go around. Did you guys put unfurnished originally?


I don't remember, but I'm pretty sure I put furnished. I was unaware that last year was the first year they did furnished apts.

This could be trouble.

abceasy
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:43 pm

Re: UCLA Law Class of 2013

Postby abceasy » Wed May 12, 2010 10:49 am

What is everyone doing about move in dates? The 1st or the 15th? No a whole lot of choices there. I think I'd rather move earlier and go with the 1st. 15th is cutting it super close. It'd be nice to settle in, get used to the area.

tar2009
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:19 pm

Re: UCLA Law Class of 2013

Postby tar2009 » Wed May 12, 2010 1:33 pm

seyhey0 wrote:
weee wrote:
seyhey0 wrote:Hey - I'm in UCLA Law now... two things - first, while many people do use Macs for notes AND they partition the hard drive for exams, that is not the trend. I would still safely say that over half the students use PCs full time.

Also - and I can't stress this enough - be very wary about using a netbook for exams. They generally have smaller keyboards, and, unless you have a lot of practice typing with them, you will have trouble. Especially because you will be used to typing on your Mac and then will have to use an unfamiliar computer for exams. My strong advice is to use for exams a computer with which you are intimately familiar, and which has a full size keyboard. Trust me, on law school exams, typing is half the battle. OK, maybe 1/3 the battle - but you get the point.


How about a netbook for note taking, and a full size laptop that I will keep at home normally but bring in for exams?


Good idea! That's actually precisely what I do, and I'm very happy. I have a new-ish netbook for notes, and an old trusty Dell that is pushing 4 years old that I use at home and bring in for exams. So far, so good... it needs to get me through 2 more semesters.


So people really do get two laptops?? That seems sort of expensive. Here's my question... have encountered anyone that has had trouble partioning their mac or running the exam software on the mac (while running windows)?

bicoastal
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:46 am

Re: UCLA Law Class of 2013

Postby bicoastal » Wed May 12, 2010 2:37 pm

For those out there with AUG 15 contract starts at Weyburn, do you just pay for a 1/2 month, still having a lease ending may 31?

thankstazotea
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:46 am

Re: UCLA Law Class of 2013

Postby thankstazotea » Wed May 12, 2010 2:39 pm

Did everyone receive different Weyburn Terrace building numbers? I'm trying to figure out if they've assigned us to separate units already or if they'll wait to see who accepts the offer. I'm in 945 Weyburn Terrace, which is Palm Court. Do people have different buildings already?

abceasy
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:43 pm

Re: UCLA Law Class of 2013

Postby abceasy » Wed May 12, 2010 4:27 pm

thankstazotea wrote:Did everyone receive different Weyburn Terrace building numbers? I'm trying to figure out if they've assigned us to separate units already or if they'll wait to see who accepts the offer. I'm in 945 Weyburn Terrace, which is Palm Court. Do people have different buildings already?



I didn't receive a number...where did you see that? I just looked at my offer and it has the building type, but no number.

abceasy
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:43 pm

Re: UCLA Law Class of 2013

Postby abceasy » Wed May 12, 2010 4:32 pm

bicoastal wrote:For those out there with AUG 15 contract starts at Weyburn, do you just pay for a 1/2 month, still having a lease ending may 31?


I was looking on the housing website and it's my understanding that you would pay for half of August. Alternatively, it looks like you can move in on an odd day (not the first or fifteenth) and pay $75/day. So if you moved in on the 10th, you would pay $75 on the 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th, and 14th, plus half month's rent for the 15th-on.

thankstazotea
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:46 am

Re: UCLA Law Class of 2013

Postby thankstazotea » Wed May 12, 2010 5:18 pm

abceasy wrote:
thankstazotea wrote:Did everyone receive different Weyburn Terrace building numbers? I'm trying to figure out if they've assigned us to separate units already or if they'll wait to see who accepts the offer. I'm in 945 Weyburn Terrace, which is Palm Court. Do people have different buildings already?



I didn't receive a number...where did you see that? I just looked at my offer and it has the building type, but no number.


If you view your offer, it should appear. I've accepted mine so it displays that information in a PDF when I go to view my offer/ make first payment.

abceasy
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:43 pm

Re: UCLA Law Class of 2013

Postby abceasy » Wed May 12, 2010 5:32 pm

thankstazotea wrote:
abceasy wrote:
thankstazotea wrote:Did everyone receive different Weyburn Terrace building numbers? I'm trying to figure out if they've assigned us to separate units already or if they'll wait to see who accepts the offer. I'm in 945 Weyburn Terrace, which is Palm Court. Do people have different buildings already?



I didn't receive a number...where did you see that? I just looked at my offer and it has the building type, but no number.


If you view your offer, it should appear. I've accepted mine so it displays that information in a PDF when I go to view my offer/ make first payment.



Thanks for that info, but I got nothin. Weird.

User avatar
weee
Posts: 384
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:34 pm

Re: UCLA Law Class of 2013

Postby weee » Wed May 12, 2010 5:40 pm

I have no assignment/location info on my offer

thankstazotea
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:46 am

Re: UCLA Law Class of 2013

Postby thankstazotea » Wed May 12, 2010 5:40 pm

That is strange. I got my offer very early though, which could explain the difference. They thought I wanted to move in June 1 rather than August 1 so I'm guessing they moved faster with my assignment. I'm sure more info will come soon though!

seyhey0
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:32 pm

Re: UCLA Law Class of 2013

Postby seyhey0 » Thu May 13, 2010 3:18 am

tar2009 wrote:
seyhey0 wrote:
weee wrote:
seyhey0 wrote:Hey - I'm in UCLA Law now... two things - first, while many people do use Macs for notes AND they partition the hard drive for exams, that is not the trend. I would still safely say that over half the students use PCs full time.

Also - and I can't stress this enough - be very wary about using a netbook for exams. They generally have smaller keyboards, and, unless you have a lot of practice typing with them, you will have trouble. Especially because you will be used to typing on your Mac and then will have to use an unfamiliar computer for exams. My strong advice is to use for exams a computer with which you are intimately familiar, and which has a full size keyboard. Trust me, on law school exams, typing is half the battle. OK, maybe 1/3 the battle - but you get the point.


How about a netbook for note taking, and a full size laptop that I will keep at home normally but bring in for exams?


Good idea! That's actually precisely what I do, and I'm very happy. I have a new-ish netbook for notes, and an old trusty Dell that is pushing 4 years old that I use at home and bring in for exams. So far, so good... it needs to get me through 2 more semesters.


So people really do get two laptops?? That seems sort of expensive. Here's my question... have encountered anyone that has had trouble partioning their mac or running the exam software on the mac (while running windows)?


1. No, I have not encountered anyone with actual trouble using a Mac. I have encountered people who just borrow PCs for exams so as not to go through the hassle, though. I do see many people, though, using Macs during exams. I can't personally testify as to how easy or hard that is.

2. Expensive to have two computers? Well, maybe, if you buy two high-end ones. I had a Dell from undergrad that is now just about 4 years old that I just kept, so that was no $$ out of my pocket. I bought a netbook for around $300 for notes and internet. You are right, though - if I didn't have a computer already and had to buy, I probably would only have bought one, and made it a full-size. Although with 20/20 hindsight, this two-computer thing is the best move I did in law school, so I'd definitely recommend it.

bicoastal
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:46 am

Re: UCLA Law Class of 2013

Postby bicoastal » Thu May 13, 2010 1:54 pm

abceasy wrote:
bicoastal wrote:For those out there with AUG 15 contract starts at Weyburn, do you just pay for a 1/2 month, still having a lease ending may 31?


I was looking on the housing website and it's my understanding that you would pay for half of August. Alternatively, it looks like you can move in on an odd day (not the first or fifteenth) and pay $75/day. So if you moved in on the 10th, you would pay $75 on the 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th, and 14th, plus half month's rent for the 15th-on.


75 a day? ouch! That's 2x the pro-rated daily rate. hmm. I've been all over the FAQ and didn't find this...where did you find it? Do I have to request this special late deal before I accept my housing offer?

User avatar
weee
Posts: 384
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:34 pm

Re: UCLA Law Class of 2013

Postby weee » Thu May 13, 2010 1:59 pm

bicoastal wrote:
abceasy wrote:
bicoastal wrote:For those out there with AUG 15 contract starts at Weyburn, do you just pay for a 1/2 month, still having a lease ending may 31?


I was looking on the housing website and it's my understanding that you would pay for half of August. Alternatively, it looks like you can move in on an odd day (not the first or fifteenth) and pay $75/day. So if you moved in on the 10th, you would pay $75 on the 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th, and 14th, plus half month's rent for the 15th-on.


75 a day? ouch! That's 2x the pro-rated daily rate. hmm. I've been all over the FAQ and didn't find this...where did you find it? Do I have to request this special late deal before I accept my housing offer?


So maybe that's the pro rate for a double occupancy unit? If a two bedroom is occupied the cost of both rooms still need to be paid, even if only one of the occupants moved in. Just a guess really

abceasy
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:43 pm

Re: UCLA Law Class of 2013

Postby abceasy » Thu May 13, 2010 2:55 pm

bicoastal wrote:
abceasy wrote:
bicoastal wrote:For those out there with AUG 15 contract starts at Weyburn, do you just pay for a 1/2 month, still having a lease ending may 31?


I was looking on the housing website and it's my understanding that you would pay for half of August. Alternatively, it looks like you can move in on an odd day (not the first or fifteenth) and pay $75/day. So if you moved in on the 10th, you would pay $75 on the 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th, and 14th, plus half month's rent for the 15th-on.


75 a day? ouch! That's 2x the pro-rated daily rate. hmm. I've been all over the FAQ and didn't find this...where did you find it? Do I have to request this special late deal before I accept my housing offer?


I went on the housing website to try and see where I found that $75.00/day and I couldn't find it. I'm sorry about that. Maybe it was for another building and not Weyburn. I searched through the Q & A and I saw that UCLA allows undergrads to stay in their dorms after finals for $75.00 for an extra night.

You should try the asking housing feature: http://map.ais.ucla.edu/go/1001243

I used it once and they got back to me right away and cleared everything up.

tar2009
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:19 pm

Re: UCLA Law Class of 2013

Postby tar2009 » Fri May 14, 2010 8:13 am

to throw my two cents in,,, i spoke with someone at UCLA Housing about Weyburn a few weeks ago and they told me you would have to pay 75$ a night for each night you move in before aug 15th (if thats your move in day).

so, if you dont want aug 1st but want to settle in before the 15th, paying a couple 75$ nights would still be cheaper than moving in aug 1st

bicoastal
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:46 am

Re: UCLA Law Class of 2013

Postby bicoastal » Fri May 14, 2010 11:24 am

tar2009 wrote:to throw my two cents in,,, i spoke with someone at UCLA Housing about Weyburn a few weeks ago and they told me you would have to pay 75$ a night for each night you move in before aug 15th (if thats your move in day).

so, if you dont want aug 1st but want to settle in before the 15th, paying a couple 75$ nights would still be cheaper than moving in aug 1st


thanks :) Do you know if I have to arrange this before I accept my lease offer? Or, I have to accept in order to make these changes.

abceasy
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:43 pm

Re: UCLA Law Class of 2013

Postby abceasy » Fri May 14, 2010 11:42 am

bicoastal wrote:
tar2009 wrote:to throw my two cents in,,, i spoke with someone at UCLA Housing about Weyburn a few weeks ago and they told me you would have to pay 75$ a night for each night you move in before aug 15th (if thats your move in day).

so, if you dont want aug 1st but want to settle in before the 15th, paying a couple 75$ nights would still be cheaper than moving in aug 1st


thanks :) Do you know if I have to arrange this before I accept my lease offer? Or, I have to accept in order to make these changes.



You can change your move-in date on your application on the housing website here: http://map.ais.ucla.edu/portal/site/UCL ... 8443a4RCRD

^Scroll down and click on "application update"

Alternatively, you can accept the offer and then move in later, but you are financially responsible for the terms of your contract. So you could sign up for August 1, pay for the month of August, and then move in August 8.

Or, if you want to do the $75/night and change your actual move in date after you've accepted your contract, you can request a move in date, but they do not guarantee anything. You won't lose your housing space, but I don't think they guarantee that you will maintain your exact room configuration.

tar2009
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:19 pm

Re: UCLA Law Class of 2013

Postby tar2009 » Fri May 14, 2010 11:51 am

bicoastal wrote:
tar2009 wrote:to throw my two cents in,,, i spoke with someone at UCLA Housing about Weyburn a few weeks ago and they told me you would have to pay 75$ a night for each night you move in before aug 15th (if thats your move in day).

so, if you dont want aug 1st but want to settle in before the 15th, paying a couple 75$ nights would still be cheaper than moving in aug 1st


thanks :) Do you know if I have to arrange this before I accept my lease offer? Or, I have to accept in order to make these changes.


Im not positive ( i havent accepted my offer yet)... but when i was messing around on the "accept your offer" page, there was a pop up that said i would need to pay the 75$ in advance. I'm sure if you call housing they could help you out. wish i could help more!

bicoastal
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:46 am

Re: UCLA Law Class of 2013

Postby bicoastal » Fri May 14, 2010 12:02 pm

tar2009 wrote:
bicoastal wrote:
tar2009 wrote:to throw my two cents in,,, i spoke with someone at UCLA Housing about Weyburn a few weeks ago and they told me you would have to pay 75$ a night for each night you move in before aug 15th (if thats your move in day).

so, if you dont want aug 1st but want to settle in before the 15th, paying a couple 75$ nights would still be cheaper than moving in aug 1st


thanks :) Do you know if I have to arrange this before I accept my lease offer? Or, I have to accept in order to make these changes.


Im not positive ( i havent accepted my offer yet)... but when i was messing around on the "accept your offer" page, there was a pop up that said i would need to pay the 75$ in advance. I'm sure if you call housing they could help you out. wish i could help more!


You are helpful! The housing website needs help.

User avatar
thisamericanlife
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:41 pm

Re: UCLA Law Class of 2013

Postby thisamericanlife » Tue May 18, 2010 2:52 pm

Has anyone heard who the new dean is? I don't know if it has been publicly announced yet and I can't find any info on the website.

User avatar
daesonesb
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:18 pm

Re: UCLA Law Class of 2013

Postby daesonesb » Tue May 18, 2010 6:07 pm

thisamericanlife wrote:Has anyone heard who the new dean is? I don't know if it has been publicly announced yet and I can't find any info on the website.


They're dumping Rob Swartz?




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest