UCLA Law Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
weee

Re: UCLA Law Class of 2013

Postby weee » Mon May 03, 2010 2:28 pm

brewinbruin wrote:do we have to do anything to accept financial aid loans at this time?

So far you should have only received the Provisional Award Letter or ePAL, since It's provisional, I assume we're not at the accepting stage yet.

SaraLA

Postby SaraLA » Mon May 03, 2010 4:39 pm

Kase Law wrote:Hello hello! Officially paid & submitted all the requirements today (I only got the call last Friday and the packet yesterday otherwise I would have done this much faster!). While I applied for campus housing, I am thinking my chances aren't too high. Soooo.... anyone looking for roomies?! I want to be near campus...

Congrats!

Slansky

Postby Slansky » Wed May 05, 2010 1:03 pm

So I just accepted my housing offer, but I am a bit confused. On the first page, it said that because I'd requested parking, my request would be forwarded to the parking office, yadda yadda. But on the last page, AFTER I submitted my payment, it said "Parking: NO!" as if I didn't want parking. :( Anyone else have this? I guess I will call. I don't want my request for parking to be somehow undone.

weee

Postby weee » Wed May 05, 2010 1:28 pm

Slansky wrote:So I just accepted my housing offer, but I am a bit confused. On the first page, it said that because I'd requested parking, my request would be forwarded to the parking office, yadda yadda. But on the last page, AFTER I submitted my payment, it said "Parking: NO!" as if I didn't want parking. :( Anyone else have this? I guess I will call. I don't want my request for parking to be somehow undone.

It's well discussed on the public facebook group, you can't apply for parking in Weyburn until your move in date, they will have forms.

Slansky

Postby Slansky » Wed May 05, 2010 3:36 pm

weee wrote:
Slansky wrote:So I just accepted my housing offer, but I am a bit confused. On the first page, it said that because I'd requested parking, my request would be forwarded to the parking office, yadda yadda. But on the last page, AFTER I submitted my payment, it said "Parking: NO!" as if I didn't want parking. :( Anyone else have this? I guess I will call. I don't want my request for parking to be somehow undone.

It's well discussed on the public facebook group, you can't apply for parking in Weyburn until your move in date, they will have forms.

I understand that I can't apply til then, but I'm worried that if it said "Parking: NO" it might not have recorded my desire to apply for parking eventually. Bleh

weee

Postby weee » Wed May 05, 2010 3:40 pm

Better than having it say parking: YES only to find out that you don't actually have it yet. It's just how they do it, I agree that it is stupid, but I feel like a lot of the computerized stuff they have right now has some serious bugs, for example the fact that our housing offers were "canceled"

I have a feeling we're going to go through several more cycles that go something like this. Computerized message that freaks us out, panic, call/e-mail, find out it's ok, repeat.

Slansky

Postby Slansky » Wed May 05, 2010 7:35 pm

weee wrote:Better than having it say parking: YES only to find out that you don't actually have it yet. It's just how they do it, I agree that it is stupid, but I feel like a lot of the computerized stuff they have right now has some serious bugs, for example the fact that our housing offers were "canceled"

I have a feeling we're going to go through several more cycles that go something like this. Computerized message that freaks us out, panic, call/e-mail, find out it's ok, repeat.

Haha I find your cynicism calming. I don't think I'll even call on this one.

weee

Postby weee » Wed May 05, 2010 9:27 pm

^^ glad to help

Despite being among the most active posters in this thread, I wasn't official at UCLA until just now, just withdrew my seat from UMich and my waitlists.

devonwhitham

Postby devonwhitham » Thu May 06, 2010 4:25 pm

weee wrote:

Why can't I find the public facebook group? I'm in one called "UCLA Law 2013" but there are only like 7 of us in it.

weee

Postby weee » Thu May 06, 2010 4:29 pm

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=120010358016287

It's also listed under the TLS Class of 2013 thread for UCLA

Grad09

Postby Grad09 » Fri May 07, 2010 5:38 pm

What's up, classmates? I'm officially on board.

Does anyone know how far a walk the westwood area is from Weyburn? How far is the law school building?

How far is the BEACH???

savesthedayajb

Postby savesthedayajb » Fri May 07, 2010 5:41 pm

Grad09 wrote:What's up, classmates? I'm officially on board.

Does anyone know how far a walk the westwood area is from Weyburn? How far is the law school building?

How far is the BEACH???

Weyburn is about a block from the main area of westwood village. The law building is on the opposite side of campus, but there are UCLA buses that will take you from weyburn and drop you off by the law building. Beach is about a 10min drive (no traffic) down Wilshire Blvd/Sunset.

bicoastal

Postby bicoastal » Mon May 10, 2010 3:23 pm

For those of you out there who received merit awards, did your letters specify any restrictions i.e. making top third of class? I know some awards have rules and some don't. Although my award is quite small, I don't want to ask them about restrictions and give them the chance to add them on. Please post or pm me to help!

weee

Postby weee » Tue May 11, 2010 12:46 pm

2.5 gpa

As poster below mentioned, once you receive an official letter with your scholarship information, the rules will be there.
Last edited by weee on Tue May 11, 2010 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thankstazotea

Postby thankstazotea » Tue May 11, 2010 1:04 pm

I'm sure that if there were some sort of requirement, they would have notified you of it. Besides if you weren't formally notified, you can't be expected to know.

tar2009

Postby tar2009 » Tue May 11, 2010 1:20 pm

heyyyyyy! cant wait to be meeting you all in the fall!

Any idea what computer you'll be getting for school? I spoke with some UCLA tech people ... but i didnt fully understand everything they said. the law school testing software is for windows, but they may be getting an apple compatible one soon. Also, thy mentioned the option of partitioning a hard drive on a mac, but I don’t know what implications that may have on the computer. Also, the tech guys mentioned how printing from a mac can be a bit finicky…

I’ve always had a dell, and I haven’t been too happy with it. I would like to get a mac, but I don’t know if that’s the best choice for law school. Thoughts? If a mac is better for law school, can you give reasons?

THANKS!!! Im excited

tar2009

Postby tar2009 » Tue May 11, 2010 1:47 pm

also, any idea when any of you are moving in? at weyburn the 2 daes are august 1st and 15th... the 15th is right before orientation! :shock:

Kase Law

Postby Kase Law » Tue May 11, 2010 2:11 pm

tar2009 wrote:heyyyyyy! cant wait to be meeting you all in the fall!

Any idea what computer you'll be getting for school? I spoke with some UCLA tech people ... but i didnt fully understand everything they said. the law school testing software is for windows, but they may be getting an apple compatible one soon. Also, thy mentioned the option of partitioning a hard drive on a mac, but I don’t know what implications that may have on the computer. Also, the tech guys mentioned how printing from a mac can be a bit finicky…

I’ve always had a dell, and I haven’t been too happy with it. I would like to get a mac, but I don’t know if that’s the best choice for law school. Thoughts? If a mac is better for law school, can you give reasons?

THANKS!!! Im excited

A friend of mine that's in law school right now says the trend seems to be to have a mac for notes & general use, and get a netbook w/ windows for testing. That's my plan, but only because I already have a mac & I am not interested in doing the hard drive stuff... and I don't want to pay for an entirely new PC laptop... haha. Don't know how much this helps, but I guess that's what everyone is doing at USD!

Grad09

Postby Grad09 » Tue May 11, 2010 2:44 pm

Has anyone had any success with changing a housing offer?

I got offered a townhouse thats UNFURNISHED!
I don't want to buy furniture.

I really, really don't want to buy furniture.

Really.

abceasy

Postby abceasy » Tue May 11, 2010 2:51 pm

It seems like housing is pretty easy to work with. Try changing to furnished, you're still pretty early.

Does anyone know what the parking situation is? I filled out the parking info along with my housing app, but I saw on the website that UCLA transpo has their own parking app that comes out on June 1...is this madness or am I an idiot?

thankstazotea

Postby thankstazotea » Tue May 11, 2010 4:31 pm

Grad09 wrote:Has anyone had any success with changing a housing offer?

I got offered a townhouse thats UNFURNISHED!
I don't want to buy furniture.

I really, really don't want to buy furniture.

Really.

I tried to do the same (switch from unfurnished to furnished) by updating my housing application but have yet to hear back. I think we'll have to wait until everyone has had a chance to accept their initial offer.

Also, parking information will come later in the summer. People posted about it a little while back.

bicoastal

Postby bicoastal » Tue May 11, 2010 4:37 pm

I requested furnished, but still got an unfurnished townhouse too. Furnished units only started in 09, and perhaps they just don't have enough to go around. Did you guys put unfurnished originally?

bicoastal

Postby bicoastal » Tue May 11, 2010 4:39 pm

UCLA campus permit parking is separate from Weyburn Terrace Permit parking. The Weyburn permit lets you park at the apt, and on campus only during off hours. The UCLA Campus permit will not give you permission to park at the Weyburn apts.

seyhey0

Postby seyhey0 » Tue May 11, 2010 4:42 pm

Kase Law wrote:
tar2009 wrote:heyyyyyy! cant wait to be meeting you all in the fall!

THANKS!!! Im excited

A friend of mine that's in law school right now says the trend seems to be to have a mac for notes & general use, and get a netbook w/ windows for testing. That's my plan, but only because I already have a mac & I am not interested in doing the hard drive stuff... and I don't want to pay for an entirely new PC laptop... haha. Don't know how much this helps, but I guess that's what everyone is doing at USD!

Hey - I'm in UCLA Law now... two things - first, while many people do use Macs for notes AND they partition the hard drive for exams, that is not the trend. I would still safely say that over half the students use PCs full time.

Also - and I can't stress this enough - be very wary about using a netbook for exams. They generally have smaller keyboards, and, unless you have a lot of practice typing with them, you will have trouble. Especially because you will be used to typing on your Mac and then will have to use an unfamiliar computer for exams. My strong advice is to use for exams a computer with which you are intimately familiar, and which has a full size keyboard. Trust me, on law school exams, typing is half the battle. OK, maybe 1/3 the battle - but you get the point.

Hopefullawstudent

Postby Hopefullawstudent » Tue May 11, 2010 4:44 pm

Hi All,

I just put down my deposit for UCLA and I am looking at housing. Are rooms still available at Weyburn?

-HL

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”