UCLA Law Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
User avatar
weee
Posts: 384
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:34 pm

Re: UCLA Law Class of 2013

Postby weee » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:36 pm

Some database person is going to get chewed out real soon, I imagine.

User avatar
theuserdylan
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:12 pm

Re: UCLA Law Class of 2013

Postby theuserdylan » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:43 pm

I live in Weyburn Terrace (1L) and our housing payments were due today if we wanted to stay for next year. I'm guessing that's why the mistaken happened.

User avatar
mmmadeli
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:54 pm

Re: UCLA Law Class of 2013

Postby mmmadeli » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:56 am

I got the email too, but I have guaranteed housing and I was on the phone with the housing office Monday to confirm that they received my application and payment, so I figure if there were some deadline for Tuesday, they would have mentioned it to me then. (Though I'm glad all of you received this email too. I confess a few moments of paranoid panic where I actually believed someone at UCLA was sabotaging my housing because I submitted a seat deposit to a local school. I have no intention of going there -- I only submitted it because they gave me a huge scholarship and the deposit is refundable if I withdraw by July 1, and it makes me feel better to have a backup for some catastrophic event like a family emergency or something that makes me feel like I can't possibly move to California. But for a harrowing moment, I thought that they knew, and they were punishing me.)

User avatar
Slansky
Posts: 142
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:40 pm

Re: UCLA Law Class of 2013

Postby Slansky » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:33 am

theuserdylan wrote:I live in Weyburn Terrace (1L) and our housing payments were due today if we wanted to stay for next year. I'm guessing that's why the mistaken happened.


Ahhhh thank you for saying this. That makes mucho sense.

My dad's suggestion was to write up my defense (and their response, if I can get through tomorrow) and send it via registered mail to be placed in my file. Lol paranoid ex-lawyer

thankstazotea
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:46 am

Re: UCLA Law Class of 2013

Postby thankstazotea » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:42 am

I received my offer a week or so ago and the deadline for the first payment is May 12. Hope that helps guys.

User avatar
weee
Posts: 384
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:34 pm

Re: UCLA Law Class of 2013

Postby weee » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:03 pm

Housing already got back to me and said that everything is ok, my offer will be re-instated and I should actually be receiving my offer today. I simply replied to the e-mail, said there was a mistake and gave them the timeline of events that have happened so far.

User avatar
Slansky
Posts: 142
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:40 pm

Re: UCLA Law Class of 2013

Postby Slansky » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:09 pm

weee wrote:Housing already got back to me and said that everything is ok, my offer will be re-instated and I should actually be receiving my offer today. I simply replied to the e-mail, said there was a mistake and gave them the timeline of events that have happened so far.


Lol beat me to it. I just called and they were very apologetic, saying the email was a mistake and they'll be sending out my offer email soon. They assured me that this won't affect our housing files in the future, either. So sounds like we're good.

Now I want my offer...!

User avatar
mmmadeli
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:54 pm

Re: UCLA Law Class of 2013

Postby mmmadeli » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:45 pm

I may have been the first person to call. I called around 9:15 PST and they seemed baffled and basically said if I got the email it was correct. I asked for a supervisor, who also said it was correct, and I was like, "Look, I spoke to someone here 24 hours before I got this email, and she said I'd get my offer in May. It doesn't make sense. It is a mistake." She finally pulled up every email they ever sent me, saw they never sent me an offer, it was in fact a mistake, and told me my offer would be available on May 10.

User avatar
weee
Posts: 384
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:34 pm

Re: UCLA Law Class of 2013

Postby weee » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:55 pm

I got my e-mail just after 8AM PST, so apparently their internet people don't talk to their telephone people.

User avatar
Slansky
Posts: 142
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:40 pm

Re: UCLA Law Class of 2013

Postby Slansky » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:00 pm

mmmadeli wrote:I may have been the first person to call. I called around 9:15 PST and they seemed baffled and basically said if I got the email it was correct. I asked for a supervisor, who also said it was correct, and I was like, "Look, I spoke to someone here 24 hours before I got this email, and she said I'd get my offer in May. It doesn't make sense. It is a mistake." She finally pulled up every email they ever sent me, saw they never sent me an offer, it was in fact a mistake, and told me my offer would be available on May 10.


Ouch. Be sure to get that in writing!

User avatar
mmmadeli
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:54 pm

Re: UCLA Law Class of 2013

Postby mmmadeli » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:10 pm

Housing already got back to me and said that everything is ok, my offer will be re-instated and I should actually be receiving my offer today.


Okay, I just got an email saying that I would get an email today about my offer becoming available online, but on the phone I was told offers would be available for law students on May 10. They also said on the phone that we would have three weeks to accept, but someone upthread said their payment is due on the 12th. Curious! We'll just have to wait and see.

User avatar
weee
Posts: 384
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:34 pm

Re: UCLA Law Class of 2013

Postby weee » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:26 pm

You guys, if you got the e-mail from housing saying your offer was going to be up today, try going to this link

https://shib.hhs.ucla.edu/secure/myhous ... t/shib.cfm

It should come up with something like "please click the year of the offer you would like to accept" after you are logged in. I just saw my offer, and I got what I want!

User avatar
Slansky
Posts: 142
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:40 pm

Re: UCLA Law Class of 2013

Postby Slansky » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:45 pm

weee wrote:You guys, if you got the e-mail from housing saying your offer was going to be up today, try going to this link

https://shib.hhs.ucla.edu/secure/myhous ... t/shib.cfm

It should come up with something like "please click the year of the offer you would like to accept" after you are logged in. I just saw my offer, and I got what I want!


Sweeeeet, this worked. I got what I wanted too! :D So it looks like my initial payment is due 5/18? They aren't too clear about that, but I'll probably be paying it this week anyway to avoid future cancellation scares :shock:

User avatar
MURPH
Posts: 854
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:20 am

Re: UCLA Law Class of 2013

Postby MURPH » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:29 am

If anyone else in the class is going to be doing pre 1L prep, specifically Planet Law School's recommended 3 month prep, let me know. I am going to start in about two weeks or so.

Baloo
Posts: 72
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:45 pm

Re: UCLA Law Class of 2013

Postby Baloo » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:03 pm

Are we pretty much SOL if we aren't even going to be able to look for housing for another week? I'm waiting to hear from one last school after May 1 and really don't want to look for housing until I'm positive I'll be at UCLA.

User avatar
Slansky
Posts: 142
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:40 pm

Re: UCLA Law Class of 2013

Postby Slansky » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:08 pm

Baloo wrote:Are we pretty much SOL if we aren't even going to be able to look for housing for another week? I'm waiting to hear from one last school after May 1 and really don't want to look for housing until I'm positive I'll be at UCLA.


I think you'll be OK for another week--there are still a few months to go. But if you want to apply for university housing, note that the deposit deadline for that is May 6 ($30).

Kase Law
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:48 pm

Re: UCLA Law Class of 2013

Postby Kase Law » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:51 pm

Hello hello! Officially paid & submitted all the requirements today (I only got the call last Friday and the packet yesterday otherwise I would have done this much faster!). While I applied for campus housing, I am thinking my chances aren't too high. Soooo.... anyone looking for roomies?! I want to be near campus...

User avatar
weee
Posts: 384
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:34 pm

Re: UCLA Law Class of 2013

Postby weee » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:00 pm

Based on the trend previous classes FB groups I'm throwing my hat in support of the Class of 2013 facebook group that is of the public variety, and only that one!

Kase Law
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:48 pm

Re: UCLA Law Class of 2013

Postby Kase Law » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:02 pm

weee wrote:Based on the trend previous classes FB groups I'm throwing my hat in support of the Class of 2013 facebook group that is of the public variety, and only that one!


i just joined that one :)

User avatar
jay115
Posts: 450
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:01 pm

Re: UCLA Law Class of 2013

Postby jay115 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:11 pm

Kase Law wrote:Hello hello! Officially paid & submitted all the requirements today (I only got the call last Friday and the packet yesterday otherwise I would have done this much faster!). While I applied for campus housing, I am thinking my chances aren't too high. Soooo.... anyone looking for roomies?! I want to be near campus...


besides our first deposit, what else do we need to do before august? and yes, im pretty dicked for housing too - have you checked out the housing thing on the admitted students website? i havent, but i wasnt sure whether anyone was on it or not

User avatar
MURPH
Posts: 854
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:20 am

Re: UCLA Law Class of 2013

Postby MURPH » Sat May 01, 2010 4:01 pm

Is anyone else thinking of buying an apartment or small townhouse while in law school. I am going to be taking out a second mortgage on my home to buy a place while I am in law school and renting out my current place. Just curious to see if there is anyone else looking to take advantage of the housing crisis and own instead of rent.

empire84
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:19 pm

Re: UCLA Law Class of 2013

Postby empire84 » Sun May 02, 2010 8:42 am

just submitted first deposit. :shock:

User avatar
daesonesb
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:18 pm

Re: UCLA Law Class of 2013

Postby daesonesb » Sun May 02, 2010 5:25 pm

empire84 wrote:just submitted first deposit. :shock:

you late

Kase Law
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:48 pm

Re: UCLA Law Class of 2013

Postby Kase Law » Sun May 02, 2010 6:59 pm

jay115 wrote:
Kase Law wrote:Hello hello! Officially paid & submitted all the requirements today (I only got the call last Friday and the packet yesterday otherwise I would have done this much faster!). While I applied for campus housing, I am thinking my chances aren't too high. Soooo.... anyone looking for roomies?! I want to be near campus...


besides our first deposit, what else do we need to do before august? and yes, im pretty dicked for housing too - have you checked out the housing thing on the admitted students website? i havent, but i wasnt sure whether anyone was on it or not


there's a second deposit due in june, and then they need an official transcript of finished undergrad if they don't already have one (for people finishing up right now), and 2 passport photos by mid july or something. I checked out the housing thing on the website, but I didn't fill it out..

brewinbruin
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: UCLA Law Class of 2013

Postby brewinbruin » Sun May 02, 2010 8:29 pm

do we have to do anything to accept financial aid loans at this time?




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest