UCLA Law Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
Jericwithers

Gold

Re: UCLA Law Class of 2013

Post by Jericwithers » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:23 pm

tar2009 wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
hoyas2010 wrote:
tar2009 wrote:Hey everyone! Any idea what kind of laptop you will have while at UCLA? I'm a current Dell user, but I'm not so happy with it. I spoke with someone at the IT department at UCLA and they told me the law school is windows based, but it is still possible to have a mac and partition your hard drive. Any thoughts? Experiences?
I've been using a Sony VGN-Z540 for the past year and absolutely love it. It is rather pricey but it's compact, light, and fast. If you don't mind paying a bit extra for a laptop, I would definitely recommend a Sony. Hope that helps a bit.
I had a Sony SZ450n/c and I think it is pretty much the same thing but an older model. I would hope the newer ones are better constructed because mine has literally fallen apart since buying it back in 2007. It wasn't a cheap computer, $1500, and it still runs good without any real performance issues. However, the construction seemed real cheap. I opted for the carbon fiber version for less weight (and look and baller-ism), and it was seriously light, but the computer felt like hot-glued plastic. It would creak and crack when I picked it up, and the sides started to come off the body (I admit that it sometimes experienced sudden drops while in my backpack's padded laptop compartment). My main complaint is the hinges on the screen are so lose now that they screen wobble about 10degrees when you type on it. The customer service was nice though, they fixed some of the construction problems 1 year after buying it, but it still suffers from inferior construction quality in my opinion. It lasted nearly 3 years, so I guess that is standard for a computer. It wasn't the software/hardware that made it become outdated but the construction quality.

I have since gotten a macbook pro and I love it. Mac is actually a very nice operating system despite all the jokes I have given mac users, but I do find issues like on a PC and some compatibility problems but not as much as I thought I would. I just like the construction of it, it feels real sturdy and with the protection accessories you can get made specifically for a mac I can't forsee any problems like I had with my Sony. Installing windows on the mac is very easy as well, and it works like a charm without a single issue yet. However, I got mine for a steal and after owning one I really wouldn't recommend spending $1500 on a computer after experiencing that with my sony. Buying two $600 computers over the same lifetime would be a better deal. I recommend HP, as Dell is moving toward the business market and away from direct consumers (their customer service is also starting to reflect this mindset). I would say HP or a Sony if you want a PC (depending on if you can find a good one for a reasonable price), but a mac if you can find a good deal on one.

Check out http://www.frys.com they are such a good retailer and have very good deals too. Good luck.
Thanks a lot! Great post. One question though... did you partition your hard drive? If so, how much space did you allocate towards windows??
I think I did 80gb, but since you won't be keeping music or videos on the partition you really don't need that much.

ogurty

Bronze

Post by ogurty » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:41 pm

Has anyone else decided to attend UCLA this fall? I'll be there!
Last edited by ogurty on Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KG_CalGuy

Bronze

Post by KG_CalGuy » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:43 pm

Has anybody here turned down CCN ($) to go here? I'm torn...

weee

Bronze

Post by weee » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:05 pm

KG_CalGuy wrote:Has anybody here turned down CCN ($) to go here? I'm torn...
They must have offered you pretty good $$$ for this to be even a question, so assuming you get good $$$ from UCLA, if you're 100000% sure you want to be in LA for the rest of your lawyerly life, I could see it being the right choice.

Edit: Also just heard something from housing, since apparently I failed to record my preference of furnished or unfurnished for weyburn terrace, I guess I will probably hear about my assignment soon!

KG_CalGuy

Bronze

Post by KG_CalGuy » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:06 pm

weee wrote:
They must have offered you pretty good $$$ for this to be even a question, so assuming you get good $$$ from UCLA, if you're 100000% sure you want to be in LA for the rest of your lawyerly life, I could see it being the right choice.

Edit: Also just heard something from housing, since apparently I failed to record my preference of furnished or unfurnished for weyburn terrace, I guess I will probably hear about my assignment soon!
Scholly amounts in my profile. I wouldn't be against Southern CA for the rest of my life (I'm from the region). But, barring a study abroad experience, I've never lived outside of CA.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Robboooo

New

Post by Robboooo » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:51 pm

How have you guys figured out whether you have guaranteed housing at Weyburn or not? I still haven't decided where I'm going to school and I'm from NY, so I'd definitely like to live in Weyburn. Hoping I'm not too late to do something about that...

brewinbruin

New

Post by brewinbruin » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:34 am

who's going to the orientation in early August?

looks like there are two fb groups, can we merge them somehow?

tar2009

New

Post by tar2009 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:39 am

is there a website where you can see the PRICES for each of the weyburn housing option? (furnished, unfurnished, studio, etc...)

weee

Bronze

Post by weee » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:29 am

tar2009 wrote:is there a website where you can see the PRICES for each of the weyburn housing option? (furnished, unfurnished, studio, etc...)
Finally found it again!

http://map.ais.ucla.edu/portal/site/UCL ... d76180RCRD

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Slansky

Bronze

Post by Slansky » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:33 am

Lol, I couldn't decide so I joined both groups. <3

jay115

Bronze

Post by jay115 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:04 pm

weee wrote:

yeah me too. i hope im paired with someone not strange, ha. unlike my freshmen year in UG...

Slansky

Bronze

Post by Slansky » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:09 pm

jay115 wrote:
weee wrote:

yeah me too. i hope im paired with someone not strange, ha. unlike my freshmen year in UG...
I got that same furnished/unfurnished email, but I distinctly remember indicating my preference in the application. So, don't feel bad--since the furnished option is new this year, they might be having some technical difficulties there.

I sure hope it means we get our assignment soon... that will be exciting :D

legalease9

Silver

Post by legalease9 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:14 pm

KG_CalGuy wrote:
weee wrote:

Scholly amounts in my profile. I wouldn't be against Southern CA for the rest of my life (I'm from the region). But, barring a study abroad experience, I've never lived outside of CA.
I say go for Columbia. The scholarship numbers aren't different enough to justify UCLA.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mmmadeli

New

Post by mmmadeli » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:10 am

Regarding guaranteed housing -- I spoke with someone from housing the other day (Wednesday?) and she told me to email the Dean and request to be put on the guaranteed housing list. So I did, and he had me added within 24 hours or so. I'm not sure what their criteria are, BUT, I'm from New Jersey and I basically said, "Look, I cannot look for an apartment in Southern California while I am living in the Northeast," and that seemed to be pretty compelling. (Also, Dean Schwartz grew up like ten minutes from my house, in New Jersey. No joke. He tells me every time he talks to me, so I think he likes me.) They also told me that they would be opening up a new building that consists only of furnished studio apartments that would open by mid-September at the LATEST, so I guess if you have somewhere to crash in LA and are committed to living on campus and not having a roommate, that would be an option too. They said it's for people who want to move in late, etc. I guess if you're not satisfied with your housing, give them a call and let them know. Their phone number is impossible to find, so for posterity, you can reach UCLA housing by calling: 310-206-7011

I live in New Jersey, so it's late as crap here and I'm going to bed.

daesonesb

Bronze

Post by daesonesb » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:40 pm

k
Last edited by daesonesb on Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kcord002

New

Post by kcord002 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:23 pm

i put my first deposit down a week ago but it still isnt showing up on my bank statement....wierd

weee

Bronze

Post by weee » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:25 pm

kcord002 wrote:i put my first deposit down a week ago but it still isnt showing up on my bank statement....wierd
Does it show up in your URSA? if yes, then there's no problem, and you get a chance to hold on to your precious money a few more days.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

KG_CalGuy

Bronze

Post by KG_CalGuy » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:36 pm

Officially withdrew today, hope that frees up a spot and/or money for some of you!

weee

Bronze

Post by weee » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:28 pm

KG_CalGuy wrote:Officially withdrew today, hope that frees up a spot and/or money for some of you!
Good luck on Stanford!

Any Weyburn guaranteed folks get a housing offer yet?

Slansky

Bronze

Post by Slansky » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:45 pm

K, I am freaking out right now... I just got an email saying my housing offer was canceled because they didn't receive my "Housing Offer and Initial Payment." Huh? I submitted the housing application and the $30 deposit (not due until May 6, in any case), and I never received any offer to which I could be expected to respond. The only thing I can think of is that email they sent last week asking whether I wanted furnished or unfurnished... I responded to that, but it's the only thing that had a deadline that is past (yesterday at 4 PM). Maybe they didn't get my response, but then they cancelled my whole offer over one question?

This is awful. Please tell me someone else got this email and it's a technical glitch. I've already emailed anyone who could possibly help me and I'm going to call tomorrow. Thanks for sending this promptly at 5 PM when I have no chance of responding. :( :(

weee

Bronze

Post by weee » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:52 pm

Slansky wrote:K, I am freaking out right now... I just got an email saying my housing offer was canceled because they didn't receive my "Housing Offer and Initial Payment." Huh? I submitted the housing application and the $30 deposit (not due until May 6, in any case), and I never received any offer to which I could be expected to respond. The only thing I can think of is that email they sent last week asking whether I wanted furnished or unfurnished... I responded to that, but it's the only thing that had a deadline that is past (yesterday at 4 PM). Maybe they didn't get my response, but then they cancelled my whole offer over one question?

This is awful. Please tell me someone else got this email and it's a technical glitch. I've already emailed anyone who could possibly help me and I'm going to call tomorrow. Thanks for sending this promptly at 5 PM when I have no chance of responding. :( :(
Yes, I got it too, I filled the survey right away, I was just sort of throwing out the question open ended to see if it was just me, I think it's definitely a booboo in the system, did you select unfurnished or furnished?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

nats11

New

Post by nats11 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:53 pm

Same thing happened to me, got the email an hour ago, probably a glitch

Slansky

Bronze

Post by Slansky » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:16 pm

weee wrote:
Slansky wrote:K, I am freaking out right now... I just got an email saying my housing offer was canceled because they didn't receive my "Housing Offer and Initial Payment." Huh? I submitted the housing application and the $30 deposit (not due until May 6, in any case), and I never received any offer to which I could be expected to respond. The only thing I can think of is that email they sent last week asking whether I wanted furnished or unfurnished... I responded to that, but it's the only thing that had a deadline that is past (yesterday at 4 PM). Maybe they didn't get my response, but then they cancelled my whole offer over one question?

Yes, I got it too, I filled the survey right away, I was just sort of throwing out the question open ended to see if it was just me, I think it's definitely a booboo in the system, did you select unfurnished or furnished?
I selected furnished. If this is a glitch, it's a bad one. Their phone lines will be busy tomorrow... :|

Slansky

Bronze

Post by Slansky » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:17 pm

Btw, for anyone who has received their Weyburn offer already, when was the Initial Payment due? Even if I had received one, I can't believe it would be due this early...

kcord002

New

Post by kcord002 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:33 pm

calm down! nah it's ok i freaked out too. i have the same story, I got the same email. confused me, but as long as you have the email saying you were on guaranteed housing and proof that you paid the 30$ app fee there's no way they can just write us off. hopefully its just a mix-up.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”