GULC c/o 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
elliefont

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby elliefont » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:29 am

amolson04 wrote:
night06 wrote:I have work study listed, but I'm not sure if it's a good idea. Will we really have time for that in law school?

i am wondering the same thing ...

At ASW they said you can attempt it and if you feel you don't have time for it, it's not a big deal. They'll just up your loans to compensate. So I plan on trying it at first, hopefully with something low stress/energy, maybe meet people who aren't in my section. But yeah, I agree, even though it's just 10 hours a week, I feel like I won't be able to do it the whole semester.

nax425

Postby nax425 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:08 am

elliefont wrote:
amolson04 wrote:
night06 wrote:I have work study listed, but I'm not sure if it's a good idea. Will we really have time for that in law school?

i am wondering the same thing ...

At ASW they said you can attempt it and if you feel you don't have time for it, it's not a big deal. They'll just up your loans to compensate. So I plan on trying it at first, hopefully with something low stress/energy, maybe meet people who aren't in my section. But yeah, I agree, even though it's just 10 hours a week, I feel like I won't be able to do it the whole semester.

its listed for me too, but only to appease my parents. i'll take it off, i don't want any committments except for school. whats another 4 grand to throw on the loan? I unfortunately won't be eligible for LRAP. Here's hoping I can pay off the debt with a fabulous job come 2013, beyond...

wackadoodle

Postby wackadoodle » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:28 am

I accepted the work study money online but the guy I talked to @ financial aid said its really easy to change your mind-I think I might not even start it and it didnt sound like that would be a big deal.

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:31 am

wackadoodle wrote:I accepted the work study money online but the guy I talked to @ financial aid said its really easy to change your mind-I think I might not even start it and it didnt sound like that would be a big deal.

Same, I think I'm going to accept it, but I'm not sure I'm going to do it. I'd rather do it second semester.

gators88

Postby gators88 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:44 pm

So when do we find out our rooming assignment for Gewirz? Thats the next communication from Gtown I have to look forward to.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:25 pm

gators88 wrote:So when do we find out our rooming assignment for Gewirz? Thats the next communication from Gtown I have to look forward to.

Sometime early May.

I only put one bedroom places down though. Anyone else do that? I have never had a roommate besides my wife and son, so don't want to start that now. If I can't get into a solo room I would rather find a different apartment, and then I'll probably end up getting a roommate, but we'd need our own bathrooms.

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:56 pm

Unitas wrote:
gators88 wrote:So when do we find out our rooming assignment for Gewirz? Thats the next communication from Gtown I have to look forward to.

Sometime early May.

I only put one bedroom places down though. Anyone else do that? I have never had a roommate besides my wife and son, so don't want to start that now. If I can't get into a solo room I would rather find a different apartment, and then I'll probably end up getting a roommate, but we'd need our own bathrooms.

I chose the large two bedroom as my number one. I'm only 21, I've never lived alone, so that seems like the best option for me. My room at home now is huge, and I have a huge closet, so this is going to be quite the adjustment. How do you go from a walk-in closet to a dorm closet? Where do you put all your shoes and clothes? I'm very worried. I know this is so trivial, but I'm a girl, and I have a lot of things! The large single looks like it has an amazing closet, that almost made me change my mind. I'm eh on roommates, but since we have our own bedrooms, I think it'll be a good idea for me.

tigrelis

Postby tigrelis » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:19 pm

Last edited by tigrelis on Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:23 pm

tigrelis wrote:Hi guys, I am planning on putting down the deposit tomorrow!! So excited to join the class :)

Question: on the housing website, it says Gewirz is not available for summer housing for 2010 because of renovations -- does anyone know what these renovations entail? It could affect my housing decision for next year haha

I believe they are just redoing the dorms, carpet paint and so forth. Not 100% sure though so you may want to call if you want to know for sure.

lalalalaw

Postby lalalalaw » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:14 pm

If anyone is looking for great housing near the law school, check this out. It's about a 6 minute walk to GULC and a pretty popular building for law students:

--LinkRemoved--

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:35 pm

tigrelis wrote:Hi guys, I am planning on putting down the deposit tomorrow!! So excited to join the class :)

Question: on the housing website, it says Gewirz is not available for summer housing for 2010 because of renovations -- does anyone know what these renovations entail? It could affect my housing decision for next year haha

When I saw the dorms, they said something about redoing the kitchens, though I don't know how true that is.

js87

Postby js87 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:55 pm

Anyone know what we do next re: financial aid? After receiving our award letter, what is the next step? When and how do we actually apply for loans?

volsi

Postby volsi » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:13 pm

js87 wrote:Anyone know what we do next re: financial aid? After receiving our award letter, what is the next step? When and how do we actually apply for loans?

I think there's supposed to be an "accept" button on the last page, but mine is lacking it. I suppose it will show up soon.

starrydecisus

Postby starrydecisus » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:18 pm

Kim617 wrote:
Unitas wrote:

Sometime early May.

I chose the large two bedroom as my number one. I'm only 21, I've never lived alone, so that seems like the best option for me. My room at home now is huge, and I have a huge closet, so this is going to be quite the adjustment. How do you go from a walk-in closet to a dorm closet? Where do you put all your shoes and clothes? I'm very worried. I know this is so trivial, but I'm a girl, and I have a lot of things! The large single looks like it has an amazing closet, that almost made me change my mind. I'm eh on roommates, but since we have our own bedrooms, I think it'll be a good idea for me.

hahaha that's awesome. When I went up there for ASW, the girl I stayed with loved clothes too, and she used her bookshelf for her clothes, too. hahaha!

volsi

Postby volsi » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:50 pm

Last year, I did a self-makeover and threw out 75 percent of my clothes, so I actually have less to pack than I would have this time last year. Still, my ordinary NYC closet is pretty full. Closet space is always at a premium!
To save space, I've decided to only bring one box of books with me. I have two bookcases full, and they are all going into storage.

tigrelis

Postby tigrelis » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:56 pm

Last edited by tigrelis on Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

gobears09

Postby gobears09 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:00 pm

Kim617 wrote:
Unitas wrote:

Sometime early May.

I really like having roommates. I put the large two bedroom as my first choice too, and requested to live to someone close in age (Im 22), maybe well be roommates haha. I also looked at the closet measurements and freaked. What you need to do (I had to in my sorority) is buy these plastic shelf bins from target to use as makeshift dressers and buy shoe racks for the closet doors. And I absolutely do not think worrying about a teeny tiny closet is trivial, especially since you have to have winter clothes on the east coast!! I dont own any of those now, but Im assuming they take up space.

Did anyone else notice that there is only ONE large single unit? Whoever gets it will be very lucky.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:02 pm

gobears09 wrote:
Kim617 wrote:
Unitas wrote:

Sometime early May.

I really like having roommates. I put the large two bedroom as my first choice too, and requested to live to someone close in age (Im 22), maybe well be roommates haha. I also looked at the closet measurements and freaked. What you need to do (I had to in my sorority) is buy these plastic shelf bins from target to use as makeshift dressers and buy shoe racks for the closet doors. And I absolutely do not think worrying about a teeny tiny closet is trivial, especially since you have to have winter clothes on the east coast!! I dont own any of those now, but Im assuming they take up space.

Did anyone else notice that there is only ONE large single unit? Whoever gets it will be very lucky.

I was just hoping no one else would sign up for it..... :?

BTW, closet space is an issue for me too. Where I live they are common in all homes, lacking them would be uncommon. Part of why I want a place to myself.

Postby 02122015 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:05 pm

Last edited by 02122015 on Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gobears09

Postby gobears09 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:07 pm

Unitas wrote:

BTW, closet space is an issue for me too. Where I live they are common in all homes, lacking them would be uncommon. Part of why I want a place to myself.

It sounds like you'd be better off living off campus. Are you wife and son coming to DC as well?

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:14 pm

gobears09 wrote:
Unitas wrote:

It sounds like you'd be better off living off campus. Are you wife and son coming to DC as well?

Nope, just me at least for the first year. So, I'll have plenty of time to hang out with you guys/gals too. It would be soo nice to stay in the dorms, but I'd make do either way. You are for sure in the dorms though right?

starrydecisus

Postby starrydecisus » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:19 pm

volsi wrote:Last year, I did a self-makeover and threw out 75 percent of my clothes, so I actually have less to pack than I would have this time last year. Still, my ordinary NYC closet is pretty full. Closet space is always at a premium!
To save space, I've decided to only bring one box of books with me. I have two bookcases full, and they are all going into storage.

:shock:

I don't think I could ever do that. I love clothes. I always feel like if I get rid an article of clothing, I'm going to need it. or miss it. or want it back.

:)

starrydecisus

Postby starrydecisus » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:22 pm

gobears09 wrote:
Kim617 wrote:
Unitas wrote:

Sometime early May.

Gobears, I like the way you think. We'll have to do a massive Target trip when we all move in so we can figure out where to put everything! haha. So..I went a little crazy with the winter sales and I now own like 5 coats. Have no idea where I'm going to put them!!!

volsi

Postby volsi » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:25 pm

starrydecisus wrote:
volsi wrote:Last year, I did a self-makeover and threw out 75 percent of my clothes, so I actually have less to pack than I would have this time last year. Still, my ordinary NYC closet is pretty full. Closet space is always at a premium!

:shock:

I don't think I could ever do that. I love clothes. I always feel like if I get rid an article of clothing, I'm going to need it. or miss it. or want it back.

:)

Well, I was "in a subculture" and I decided to leave said subculture, so I didn't need the clothes that identified me with it anymore. I wanted a fresh start.
Now I have a Banana Republic credit card.

volsi

Postby volsi » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:27 pm

tigrelis wrote:
To save space, I've decided to only bring one box of books with me. I have two bookshelves full, and they are all going into storage.

This sounds like something I will need to do at the end of my term..

Anyone looking at meridian or mass court apartments? They are pricey, but I think law students could fit 2 people into a 1 bedroom+den if the den has its own door and a closet?? Sorry for all the housing-related comments -- I've been looking at this all afternoon...

Looks like they're about 2k for a one bedroom, which is NYC pricing. I don't know. I think the "sunrooms" in them do not have closets.
You can get a two bedroom in Capitol Hill for about 1500, looks like. I'm looking at non-luxury apartment buildings that are still well maintained.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”