GULC c/o 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
Kim617

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby Kim617 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:59 am

starrydecisus wrote:
Kim617 wrote:
starrydecisus wrote:
Kim617 wrote:BTW, NFL schedules were released today! I'm a little disappointed that the Giants won't play the skins @ fedex until January 2nd, which means I won't be in DC to fight with skins fans during the game!

I, too, was disappointed by the schedules! The Bucs play the Ravens during Thanksgiving break, it looks like, so I'll be home, and it looks like the Skins-Bucs game is Dec. 12, which I have a feeling is going to be in the throes of hell (i.e. finals/studying). Maybe I can take a study break? Haha.

Anyone else excited about the draft?!?!

Very excited about the draft. The giants are smack in the middle this year, it'll be interesting who they pick up.

The other day, I was in PC Richards looking at TVs and on one of them, they were showing Superbowl XLII, Giants/Pats (which I also own on DVD, the entire thing) and I got there just as Eli was throwing the helmet catch pass, and I just sat there with a smile on my face. That was ACTUALLY the best day of my life. I kind of wanted to buy that TV.

Haha I totally get that. We have the DVD of the Bucs-Raiders superbowl, and when my mom and I get depressed about the current state of the team, we watch it. It was such a great year! I'll never forget it. I was actually happy for the Saints winning this year (although I was sad to see my Peyton lose), because it reminded me of the Bucs' win. Nothing like that first superbowl! Although I'm sure every superbowl is special, except maybe to Pats fans haha :P

I was definitely rooting for Indy, gotta love Peyton. The Giants have put me through HELL every other year besides 07, so I think we deserved that win. It was definitely one of the best superbowls, not just from a Giants perspective, but I like a nice defensive game over a high scoring shootout, it's more exciting. It was just dominant front-four football. Plus the ending was amazing. Ah, maybe I'll watch it today. Though, my Yankees are in pretty good shape so I'm actually happy sports-wise.

Meanwhile, my competition was rescheduled for October 25-27, and we're going on the 23rd, which means I'll be in Germany when the Giants play the Cowboys on Monday Night Football. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! My hotel has satellite TV, you think they get ESPN?! AHHHH.

starrydecisus

Postby starrydecisus » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:33 pm

Kim617 wrote:
I was definitely rooting for Indy, gotta love Peyton. The Giants have put me through HELL every other year besides 07, so I think we deserved that win. It was definitely one of the best superbowls, not just from a Giants perspective, but I like a nice defensive game over a high scoring shootout, it's more exciting. It was just dominant front-four football. Plus the ending was amazing. Ah, maybe I'll watch it today. Though, my Yankees are in pretty good shape so I'm actually happy sports-wise.

Meanwhile, my competition was rescheduled for October 25-27, and we're going on the 23rd, which means I'll be in Germany when the Giants play the Cowboys on Monday Night Football. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! My hotel has satellite TV, you think they get ESPN?! AHHHH.

As a matter of fact, I do love Peyton! Totally considering trying to get tickets to the Oct. 17 Redskins-Colts game just so I can finally see my man :D

And that is very upsetting about your Giants-Cowboys Monday Night Football game!! That's a BIG game. Will you have internet? Maybe there's some way to stream it.

tarheelz

Postby tarheelz » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:36 pm

Hey guys, sorry to change subjects from NFL schedules but (though I am glad to see some sports fans)...

I just made my decision (barring astronomical waitlist offers) to go to Georgetown! Getting excited here. In fact I'm making a trip down to DC this weekend from NYC to check out some housing options. What's everyone's take on Gewirz? Rent-wise, not any better than nearby apartments, right, so I am going to try to shop around some apartment options. I know I'm taking a look at Meridian.

I'm just gonna spit it out there... anybody looking to share an apt next year? Meridian looks pretty nice. I heard there's Mass Court too as an option? Let me know!

starrydecisus

Postby starrydecisus » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:53 pm

tarheelz wrote:Hey guys, sorry to change subjects from NFL schedules but (though I am glad to see some sports fans)...

I just made my decision (barring astronomical waitlist offers) to go to Georgetown! Getting excited here. In fact I'm making a trip down to DC this weekend from NYC to check out some housing options. What's everyone's take on Gewirz? Rent-wise, not any better than nearby apartments, right, so I am going to try to shop around some apartment options. I know I'm taking a look at Meridian.

I'm just gonna spit it out there... anybody looking to share an apt next year? Meridian looks pretty nice. I heard there's Mass Court too as an option? Let me know!

Congrats on the decision!!! You made a good one, although we here are decidedly biased : )

I'm planning on living in Gewirz, so I'm not too familiar with the other options. But good luck and have a safe trip!

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:24 pm

starrydecisus wrote:
tarheelz wrote:Hey guys, sorry to change subjects from NFL schedules but (though I am glad to see some sports fans)...

Congrats on the decision!!! You made a good one, although we here are decidedly biased : )

I'm planning on living in Gewirz, so I'm not too familiar with the other options. But good luck and have a safe trip!

Same, I'll be living in Gewirz, but congratulations on the decision!

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:25 pm

starrydecisus wrote:
Kim617 wrote:

As a matter of fact, I do love Peyton! Totally considering trying to get tickets to the Oct. 17 Redskins-Colts game just so I can finally see my man :D

And that is very upsetting about your Giants-Cowboys Monday Night Football game!! That's a BIG game. Will you have internet? Maybe there's some way to stream it.

I'll have internet, but I'm not sure how I'd stream it. Anyone have any ideas? I'm pretty sure the game will start at 2:30 am there, but I'll definitely be watching regardless. HELP!

Topher

Postby Topher » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:57 pm

Keep in mind that the surrounding rents don't include utilities, cable, and internet (mostly) and sometimes don't include laundry either. So, Gewirz is, in fact, cheaper than many of the surrounding places. Though, I'll grant you, Meridian looks pretty damn nice.

On a different note, Georgetown revised my financial aid, and I've gotten the $30K per year scholarship! I'm pretty excited. But now I need to prepare to give a presentation on my senior thesis.

gobears09

Postby gobears09 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:59 pm

Topher wrote:On a different note, Georgetown revised my financial aid, and I've gotten the $30K per year scholarship! I'm pretty excited. But now I need to prepare to give a presentation on my senior thesis.

WOW, thats amazing! Congratulations! Did you have a scholarship before and they just added to it? Or was it a complete surprise?

starrydecisus

Postby starrydecisus » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:22 pm

gobears09 wrote:
Topher wrote:On a different note, Georgetown revised my financial aid, and I've gotten the $30K per year scholarship! I'm pretty excited. But now I need to prepare to give a presentation on my senior thesis.

WOW, thats amazing! Congratulations! Did you have a scholarship before and they just added to it? Or was it a complete surprise?

CONGRATS! How did this happen? Was it the financial need-based grant or a merit scholarship?

wackadoodle

Postby wackadoodle » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:23 pm

Does anyone know the pricing on the Meridian and other nearby apts?

js87

Postby js87 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:24 pm

Topher wrote:

Keep in mind that the surrounding rents don't include utilities, cable, and internet (mostly) and sometimes don't include laundry either. So, Gewirz is, in fact, cheaper than many of the surrounding places. Though, I'll grant you, Meridian looks pretty damn nice.

On a different note, Georgetown revised my financial aid, and I've gotten the $30K per year scholarship! I'm pretty excited. But now I need to prepare to give a presentation on my senior thesis.

Congrats, that's amazing! How'd you find out, and did you receive that AFTER having already accepted?

Torvon

Postby Torvon » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:30 pm

I just had the exact same thing happen to me. The odd thing is I was never informed that I was being considered for any kind of scholarship, I wasn't on the scholarship "waitlist" or anything. Also, while I have decided to attend GULC I haven't informed them of that decision so it may be their attempt to get me to make that decision. Also I had previously received need-based aid, so really it wasn't a 90K increase, it was closer to 5K/year increase. Still nice to have though.

Also quick question: Do I have to print out the scholarship acceptance form, sign it and then rescan it or can I just fill in the information and type my name and the bottom and email it back?

PheelTheMusic

Postby PheelTheMusic » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:29 pm

starrydecisus wrote:
Kim617 wrote:BTW, NFL schedules were released today! I'm a little disappointed that the Giants won't play the skins @ fedex until January 2nd, which means I won't be in DC to fight with skins fans during the game!

I, too, was disappointed by the schedules! The Bucs play the Ravens during Thanksgiving break, it looks like, so I'll be home, and it looks like the Skins-Bucs game is Dec. 12, which I have a feeling is going to be in the throes of hell (i.e. finals/studying). Maybe I can take a study break? Haha.

Anyone else excited about the draft?!?!

Bummer on the schedules for you two. I'll be able to get to at least two NYJets games in NY this season: Thanksgiving night vs. Bengals and week 17 vs. Buffalo.

Can't wait for the draft.

Here's the rest of our schedule. Everyone find your team so I can make fun of you at the sportsbar while the Jets knock you around:
Week 1: Monday, Sep. 13, Baltimore, 7:00 PM
Week 2: Sunday, Sep. 19, New England, 4:15 PM
Week 3: Sunday, Sep. 26, at Miami, 8:20 PM
Week 4: Sunday, Oct. 3, at Buffalo, 1:00 PM
Week 5: Monday, Oct. 11, Minnesota, 8:30 PM
Week 6: Sunday, Oct. 17, at Denver, 4:05 PM
Week 7: BYE
Week 8: Sunday, Oct. 31, Green Bay, 1:00 PM
Week 9: Sunday, Nov. 7, at Detroit, 1:00 PM
Week 10: Sunday, Nov. 14, at Cleveland, 1:00 PM
Week 11: Sunday, Nov. 21, Houston, 1:00 PM
Week 12: Thursday, Nov. 25, Cincinnati, 8:20 PM
Week 13: Monday, Dec. 6, at New England, 8:30 PM
Week 14: Sunday, Dec. 12, Miami, 4:15 PM
Week 15: Sunday, Dec. 19, at Pittsburgh, 4:15 PM
Week 16: Sunday, Dec. 26, at Chicago, 1:00 PM
Week 17: Sunday, Jan. 2, Buffalo, 1:00 PM

Kim617 wrote:...I got there just as Eli was throwing the helmet catch pass, and I just sat there with a smile on my face. That was ACTUALLY the best day of my life. I kind of wanted to buy that TV.

I cried tears of joy at the end of that game... as the lone Jets fan in a room filled with die-hard Patsy fans.

MSPeast wrote:I want to get tix to Packers @ Skins for 10/10, but I'm worried I'll be super busy and/or will really miss the $80... but then again, I lived in AZ for four seasons (Cards & Packers are both NFC) and the Packers couldn't be bothered to play in AZ once when I was there. The year after I leave? They visit twice. :evil: So maybe I shouldn't miss the opportunity. Anyone know how busy that time of the semester is?

Go to the game! The Jets have 5 prime time games (3 Monday nights) this year so I would love to go to a Redskins or Ravens game or two on Sundays. If anyone needs a buddy to help back their team when they come into town let me know!

Topher

Postby Topher » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:24 pm

Torvon wrote:

I just had the exact same thing happen to me. The odd thing is I was never informed that I was being considered for any kind of scholarship, I wasn't on the scholarship "waitlist" or anything. Also, while I have decided to attend GULC I haven't informed them of that decision so it may be their attempt to get me to make that decision. Also I had previously received need-based aid, so really it wasn't a 90K increase, it was closer to 5K/year increase. Still nice to have though.

Also quick question: Do I have to print out the scholarship acceptance form, sign it and then rescan it or can I just fill in the information and type my name and the bottom and email it back?

This is similar to how it worked with me. But, if I read the email correctly, we're now guaranteed that $30 thousand per year, regardless of our need-based situation.

And I was going to mail it back. I'm going to print it out and fill it out and likely mail it, though I'll call the office of admissions tomorrow and find out if I can email a scanned copy or not. Unless someone else knows.

Edit: I don't know if this makes any difference to those of you wondering if they will be offered the scholarships,but I was accepted under Early Decisions, so they didn't need to offer it to me to get me there...

Torvon

Postby Torvon » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:14 pm

Topher wrote:
Torvon wrote:

This is similar to how it worked with me. But, if I read the email correctly, we're now guaranteed that $30 thousand per year, regardless of our need-based situation.

And I was going to mail it back. I'm going to print it out and fill it out and likely mail it, though I'll call the office of admissions tomorrow and find out if I can email a scanned copy or not. Unless someone else knows.

Edit: I don't know if this makes any difference to those of you wondering if they will be offered the scholarships,but I was accepted under Early Decisions, so they didn't need to offer it to me to get me there...

Well, on the bottom of the scholarship acceptance form it says to fax or email it and gives the number and an email address to send it to, so I'm sure that would be fine. I just faxed mine in, so it's official I'm going to GULC!

volsi

Postby volsi » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:24 pm

Yay, welcome to those of you who have just decided. And grats on the scholarships!

wackadoodle

Postby wackadoodle » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:41 pm

Loving that there are so many sports fans....anyone know of good sports bars that will show out of town games?

Interminable_Waiting

Postby Interminable_Waiting » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:47 pm

wackadoodle wrote:Loving that there are so many sports fans....anyone know of good sports bars that will show out of town games?

We will find them. I am excited to watch the Jets collapse this year.

wackadoodle

Postby wackadoodle » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:53 pm

I'm a Saints fan and as I watched us collapse against the Bucs in December a friend of mine who is a lifelong Jets fan told me I was experiencing what he feels weekly. I don't wish that kind of pain on anyone!

volsi

Postby volsi » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:58 pm

Interminable_Waiting wrote:
wackadoodle wrote:Loving that there are so many sports fans....anyone know of good sports bars that will show out of town games?

We will find them. I am excited to watch the Jets collapse this year.

Yes, we will colonize at least one sports bar. Maybe two - one baseball, one football.

I'm getting my schadenfreude in for the year watching the Red Sox lose 5 in a row, personally. So by football season, I won't have any sports spite left in me at all.

starrydecisus

Postby starrydecisus » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:03 pm

wackadoodle wrote:I'm a Saints fan and as I watched us collapse against the Bucs in December a friend of mine who is a lifelong Jets fan told me I was experiencing what he feels weekly. I don't wish that kind of pain on anyone!

That game was our entire season. haha :)

Postby 02122015 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:55 pm

Last edited by 02122015 on Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:12 pm

I've wondered this for a while. Why doesn't Georgetown Law have a huge endowment? It graduates (I believe) the most students out of the T14. You would think this would allow them to garner a lot of support from graduates. Plus, they let in a bunch of PT people that otherwise wouldn’t get into the T14, I would expect them to be grateful and donate. (This isn't bad about PT, but in the past PT was a great way to get into the T14. Nothing wrong with that.)

Anyone know the reason?

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:27 pm

Topher wrote:
Torvon wrote:

That was my SAME exact situation. Congrats!!! I had already pretty much decided on Georgetown, but it definitely sweetened the deal. And I was an alternate for a scholarship, so for whoever else didn't think they are being considered, I'm pretty sure they're considering everyone. Don't lose hope!

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:30 pm

MSPeast wrote:
PheelTheMusic wrote:
Go to the game! The Jets have 5 prime time games (3 Monday nights) this year so I would love to go to a Redskins or Ravens game or two on Sundays. If anyone needs a buddy to help back their team when they come into town let me know!

Looks like you guys get to play my least respected pro sports team in the universe the night after the Packers are in town!

And I bought my tickets. They are about 1000 feet away from the field, but at least it's not an obstructed view and shouldn't be in the sun too much. Unlike when I bought tickets for a Lambeau game last year, apparently Redskins tickets don't have digital delivery or anything so I had to pay for shipping, too. Good thing Packers fans are everywhere, so it should be easy to offload the spare ticket on someone and recoup half of what just flew out of my wallet. Definitely one of my favorite things about MLB games v. NFL games -- much cheaper!

So true! Even at yankee stadium, you can get seats for like 12 bucks. Giants games, forget it. There's like a 50 year wait for season tickets, though I think they crossed some names off because people legitimately cannot afford to buy seats at [strike]Giants[/strike] Meadowlands Stadium (it'll always be Giants stadium Jets fans!).

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”