GULC c/o 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
Kim617

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby Kim617 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:45 pm

Unitas wrote:Moment of panic. I was worried I sent a withdraw e-mail to them on accident when I sent out a bunch of withdraws a few weeks ago. That would not have been funny.

AH imagine?!

starrydecisus

Postby starrydecisus » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:50 pm

Kim617 wrote:
Unitas wrote:Moment of panic. I was worried I sent a withdraw e-mail to them on accident when I sent out a bunch of withdraws a few weeks ago. That would not have been funny.

AH imagine?!

Omigoodness, this is my greatest fear. Last week, when I withdraw from a bunch of schools, every time I started to type in "admissions" into the "to" line, the Georgetown Admissions email would want to auto-fill, since I've communicated with them the most! I got so scared that I would withdraw on accident! That would be such a nightmare.

starrydecisus

Postby starrydecisus » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:52 pm

ktalene wrote:Hello all, I was recently accepted FT. I was so excited I accidentally started a whole new thread and then was universally mocked. Awesome!

Anyway, very excited to be attending just wondering if anyone could answer a few questions for me-

-Anyone have any suggestions on good places to live that are relatively affordable? I'm coming from Seattle.
-Since I am a little late in the game, just wondering if anyone is just starting the financial aid process now? (except for fafsa)

Thanks!

Congratulations on your acceptance!! I love your avatar. So excited for Glee tonight!! (especially since the Good Wife is a rerun).

Edit: aww I just saw your thread you posted! I think it's awesome that you're so excited about Georgetown, because I am, too :) Hurray for Gtown love!

nax425

Postby nax425 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:05 pm

Burberry by Burberry wrote:
starrydecisus wrote:Congrats on the grants for those of you who are getting them!

Also, when I was at the January ASW, the professors mooted the animal cruelty video case. The Supreme Court ruled on the issue today if anyone is interested:

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/04/20/su ... os/?hpt=T2

I do not support this decision!!!

The GULC profs were correct in their analysis of the issue and of whom SCOTUS would favor.

I want to agree, but is this about free speech or about animal cruelty? I could go murder people and film it and say it was free speech, but murder is illegal.

Is stomping on animals with high heels until they die illegal? It should be. Somebody should make that a law, IMO.

Topher

Postby Topher » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:53 pm

Despite it being 75+ degrees down here in Florida, I though I'd share with you that I am lovingly wearing my Georgetown Law School sweatshirt while writing the final parts of my senior thesis paper on the Constitutionality (lack thereof) of the Defense of Marriage Act. My legal analysis could be entirely wrong, but hell, it's a fun paper to write.

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:09 pm

Topher wrote:Despite it being 75+ degrees down here in Florida, I though I'd share with you that I am lovingly wearing my Georgetown Law School sweatshirt while writing the final parts of my senior thesis paper on the Constitutionality (lack thereof) of the Defense of Marriage Act. My legal analysis could be entirely wrong, but hell, it's a fun paper to write.

75 degrees? I wish. It was in the 60s today in NYC, but I think it's around 40 now. It's cold. Ugh, I wish we could go back to those couple of days when it was 80 <3

js87

Postby js87 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:47 pm

Kim617 wrote:
Topher wrote:Despite it being 75+ degrees down here in Florida, I though I'd share with you that I am lovingly wearing my Georgetown Law School sweatshirt while writing the final parts of my senior thesis paper on the Constitutionality (lack thereof) of the Defense of Marriage Act. My legal analysis could be entirely wrong, but hell, it's a fun paper to write.

75 degrees? I wish. It was in the 60s today in NYC, but I think it's around 40 now. It's cold. Ugh, I wish we could go back to those couple of days when it was 80 <3

I'm actually really excited about moving from always-hot-and-humid South Florida to a place with real seasons, haha.

Postby 02122015 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:04 pm

Last edited by 02122015 on Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

starrydecisus

Postby starrydecisus » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:16 pm

js87 wrote:
Kim617 wrote:

I'm actually really excited about moving from always-hot-and-humid South Florida to a place with real seasons, haha.

+10000!!!!! It had to be hotter than 75 degrees in Orlando today. Or at least it felt that way walking around campus in a black suit!

DC will be so exciting! I can't wait for such novel things like AUTUMN! WINTER! SNOW!

nax425

Postby nax425 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:34 pm

starrydecisus wrote:
js87 wrote:
Kim617 wrote:

+10000!!!!! It had to be hotter than 75 degrees in Orlando today. Or at least it felt that way walking around campus in a black suit!

DC will be so exciting! I can't wait for such novel things like AUTUMN! WINTER! SNOW!

don't get too excited. it sux!!!!

edit: snow, that is. when you have to be outside. if you can lock yourself in your place of residence until its melted away, thats another story...

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:37 pm

starrydecisus wrote:
js87 wrote:
Kim617 wrote:

truth be told, i LOVE the winter. my hair always looks nice in the winter because of the lack of humidity. HOWEVER, by april, believe me, you're sick of it! spring is not my favorite because it's usually pretty cold the entire season, and my allergies are just insufferable. i would just like a couple of days at about 75 degrees. that would be nice.\

also, snow is nice and fun, but really inconvenient when you're being lambasted constantly like we were for a time this winter. it was like every week was another nor'easter. like nax said, it's great when you have nowhere to go, sort of like the rain, but if you have to leave the house, it sucks.

starrydecisus

Postby starrydecisus » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:38 pm

nax425 wrote:
starrydecisus wrote:

edit: snow, that is. when you have to be outside. if you can lock yourself in your place of residence until its melted away, thats another story...

Haha while everyone is inside the library studying, I'm going to be that crazy person outside making snow angels :)

volsi

Postby volsi » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:56 pm

starrydecisus wrote:
nax425 wrote:
starrydecisus wrote:

Haha while everyone is inside the library studying, I'm going to be that crazy person outside making snow angels :)

Dude, you're gonna get cold real quick.

This winter I was on vacation in Orlando during the big NY/DC snowstorm. I texted all my friends gloating all week. :D Also, I got to pick up a bunch of Rodarte for Target clothes. Seems no one in Central Florida wants leopard print lace dresses. Too bad.

I wanted to post about the Supreme Court case, but you all beat me to it. I would like to say that the reasoning in the decision was very sound (in my uneducated opinion). Particularly the second argument of the summary which states in part;
Section 48 does require that the depicted conduct be “illegal,” but many federal and state laws con- cerning the proper treatment of animals are not designed to guard against animal cruelty. For example, endangered species protections restrict even the humane wounding or killing of animals. The statute draws no distinction based on the reason the conduct is made illegal.

This ruling is really a strong step in keeping these 1st amendment exceptions from going down a slippery slope. I'm sure we'll all be inundated with slippery slope scenarios next year. This is a great example of the court refuting that very step.

ss1342

Postby ss1342 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:30 pm

starrydecisus wrote:
nax425 wrote:
starrydecisus wrote:

It's nice to know I won't be the only one thrilled about snow and seasons. I'm from Texas it was 83 degrees today.

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:35 pm

So I know there are a couple of yankee fans here, and I just want to comment about how happy I would be if Javier Vazquez keeps throwing the way he is tonight so far. I've always been a pretty big fan of his, and things were looking awesome his last time around here before the allstar break (2004?), he had like a 3.36 ERA, and he had that first start like 8 innings, 1 ER, and I would just like to see him regain his confidence. He fell apart right after the allstar game and I think he's better than that. It'd be nice if he works out in NY, because I like him. He has great stuff.

BTW, NFL schedules were released today! I'm a little disappointed that the Giants won't play the skins @ fedex until January 2nd, which means I won't be in DC to fight with skins fans during the game!

volsi

Postby volsi » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:43 pm

Kim617 wrote:So I know there are a couple of yankee fans here, and I just want to comment about how happy I would be if Javier Vazquez keeps throwing the way he is tonight so far. I've always been a pretty big fan of his, and things were looking awesome his last time around here before the allstar break (2004?), he had like a 3.36 ERA, and he had that first start like 8 innings, 1 ER, and I would just like to see him regain his confidence. He fell apart right after the allstar game and I think he's better than that. It'd be nice if he works out in NY, because I like him. He has great stuff.

BTW, NFL schedules were released today! I'm a little disappointed that the Giants won't play the skins @ fedex until January 2nd, which means I won't be in DC to fight with skins fans during the game!

Yeah, I feel for him and I want him to do well. I think he's overthinking his pitches. He struggled a bit tonight, but I feel like he's gotten his confidence back a little. His velocity is up 5 mph from the first inning.
Go Javy! Get that first win!

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:48 pm

volsi wrote:
Kim617 wrote:So I know there are a couple of yankee fans here, and I just want to comment about how happy I would be if Javier Vazquez keeps throwing the way he is tonight so far. I've always been a pretty big fan of his, and things were looking awesome his last time around here before the allstar break (2004?), he had like a 3.36 ERA, and he had that first start like 8 innings, 1 ER, and I would just like to see him regain his confidence. He fell apart right after the allstar game and I think he's better than that. It'd be nice if he works out in NY, because I like him. He has great stuff.

Yeah, I feel for him and I want him to do well. I think he's overthinking his pitches. He struggled a bit tonight, but I feel like he's gotten his confidence back a little. His velocity is up 5 mph from the first inning.
Go Javy! Get that first win!

OF COURSE as soon as I say it he gives up a solo homer. But it IS only a solo shot, and we're up 6-1, so he needs to just shake it off. The most satisfying wins are when the pitcher pushes through not having his best stuff and comes out with a win.

starrydecisus

Postby starrydecisus » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:49 pm

Kim617 wrote:BTW, NFL schedules were released today! I'm a little disappointed that the Giants won't play the skins @ fedex until January 2nd, which means I won't be in DC to fight with skins fans during the game!

I, too, was disappointed by the schedules! The Bucs play the Ravens during Thanksgiving break, it looks like, so I'll be home, and it looks like the Skins-Bucs game is Dec. 12, which I have a feeling is going to be in the throes of hell (i.e. finals/studying). Maybe I can take a study break? Haha.

Anyone else excited about the draft?!?!

Interminable_Waiting

Postby Interminable_Waiting » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:36 am

+1

Some of my best memories involve Javier Vazquez in 2004! I was excited when they resigned him. I am hoping for a repeat performance.

Also, I really really hope the Pats don't trade back forever like they usually do. We need an impact player for once.

Postby 02122015 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:33 am

Last edited by 02122015 on Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

starrydecisus

Postby starrydecisus » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:24 am

MSPeast wrote:I want to get tix to Packers @ Skins for 10/10, but I'm worried I'll be super busy and/or will really miss the $80... but then again, I lived in AZ for four seasons (Cards & Packers are both NFC) and the Packers couldn't be bothered to play in AZ once when I was there. The year after I leave? They visit twice. :evil: So maybe I shouldn't miss the opportunity. Anyone know how busy that time of the semester is?

I'm guessing we're always going to be insanely busy. But I have heard that it's good to take one day or evening per week to just get away from it all. So perhaps that can your excuse to get to that game :)

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:32 am

Interminable_Waiting wrote:

+1

Some of my best memories involve Javier Vazquez in 2004! I was excited when they resigned him. I am hoping for a repeat performance.

Also, I really really hope the Pats don't trade back forever like they usually do. We need an impact player for once.

2004 was the worst season ever. But, we won last year, and the red sox look like crap this year, so all is well in the world :)

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:37 am

starrydecisus wrote:
Kim617 wrote:BTW, NFL schedules were released today! I'm a little disappointed that the Giants won't play the skins @ fedex until January 2nd, which means I won't be in DC to fight with skins fans during the game!

I, too, was disappointed by the schedules! The Bucs play the Ravens during Thanksgiving break, it looks like, so I'll be home, and it looks like the Skins-Bucs game is Dec. 12, which I have a feeling is going to be in the throes of hell (i.e. finals/studying). Maybe I can take a study break? Haha.

Very excited about the draft. The giants are smack in the middle this year, it'll be interesting who they pick up.

The other day, I was in PC Richards looking at TVs and on one of them, they were showing Superbowl XLII, Giants/Pats (which I also own on DVD, the entire thing) and I got there just as Eli was throwing the helmet catch pass, and I just sat there with a smile on my face. That was ACTUALLY the best day of my life. I kind of wanted to buy that TV.

starrydecisus

Postby starrydecisus » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:30 am

Kim617 wrote:
starrydecisus wrote:

Very excited about the draft. The giants are smack in the middle this year, it'll be interesting who they pick up.

The other day, I was in PC Richards looking at TVs and on one of them, they were showing Superbowl XLII, Giants/Pats (which I also own on DVD, the entire thing) and I got there just as Eli was throwing the helmet catch pass, and I just sat there with a smile on my face. That was ACTUALLY the best day of my life. I kind of wanted to buy that TV.

Haha I totally get that. We have the DVD of the Bucs-Raiders superbowl, and when my mom and I get depressed about the current state of the team, we watch it. It was such a great year! I'll never forget it. I was actually happy for the Saints winning this year (although I was sad to see my Peyton lose), because it reminded me of the Bucs' win. Nothing like that first superbowl! Although I'm sure every superbowl is special, except maybe to Pats fans haha :P

Interminable_Waiting

Postby Interminable_Waiting » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:32 am

starrydecisus wrote:
Kim617 wrote:
starrydecisus wrote:

Haha I totally get that. We have the DVD of the Bucs-Raiders superbowl, and when my mom and I get depressed about the current state of the team, we watch it. It was such a great year! I'll never forget it. I was actually happy for the Saints winning this year (although I was sad to see my Peyton lose), because it reminded me of the Bucs' win. Nothing like that first superbowl! Although I'm sure every superbowl is special, except maybe to Pats fans haha :P

They are special now that we don't win them every year anymore. I have the DVD (and VHS) of when we won against the Rams. That was probably the best moment of my life until 2004 (and Javier Vazquez).

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”