GULC c/o 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)

Platinum

Post by 02122015 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:40 pm

Last edited by 02122015 on Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kim617

Silver

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Post by Kim617 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:12 pm

MSPeast wrote:Even though I sent everything together, according to MyAccess all of the W2s are still missing, but they got the tax returns. I sent over an e-mail; hopefully they list everything as received by tomorrow.
Yeah the same thing with me. I sent all the required W-2s in the same envelope, yet they were missing my mom's. I emailed them and they never got back to me.

volsi

Bronze

Post by volsi » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:17 pm

Kim617 wrote:
MSPeast wrote:Even though I sent everything together, according to MyAccess all of the W2s are still missing, but they got the tax returns. I sent over an e-mail; hopefully they list everything as received by tomorrow.
Yeah the same thing with me. I sent all the required W-2s in the same envelope, yet they were missing my mom's. I emailed them and they never got back to me.
I say just call them. The woman who picked up the phone today was very polite and helpful. They replied to my emails twice, but haven't for about two weeks. I think they're pretty overwhelmed.

Kim617

Silver

Post by Kim617 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:28 pm

volsi wrote:
Kim617 wrote:
I say just call them. The woman who picked up the phone today was very polite and helpful. They replied to my emails twice, but haven't for about two weeks. I think they're pretty overwhelmed.
That's kind of what I figured. I'll call them tomorrow to see if it needs to be resent, though they've already given me my award, so I wonder if it's necessary.

starrydecisus

Silver

Post by starrydecisus » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:32 pm

It seems like everyone on here is getting grants or scholarships but me! Boo :( I want some Georgetown love!

Ugh. I had my interview today for the summer job at a firm, and the lawyer was SO rude from the get-go. It was definitely the most uncomfortable/worst interview ever. This guy is the reason people have such a low opinion of lawyers!! I have an interview with a different firm tomorrow, and I hope they're a lot nicer. ha.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Revisionist

New

Post by Revisionist » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:36 pm

My financial aid info showed up on MyAccess today. If my grant is $68k minus the loan total, I'm incredibly happy!

I will be 24 by the time school starts. I'm coming straight out of undergrad but I took some time off after my first year.

elliefont

Bronze

Post by elliefont » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:31 am

Revisionist wrote:My financial aid info showed up on MyAccess today. If my grant is $68k minus the loan total, I'm incredibly happy!

I will be 24 by the time school starts. I'm coming straight out of undergrad but I took some time off after my first year.
yeah, do the math, that's exactly what it was for me! congrats! it finally pays to be broke.

starrydecisus

Silver

Post by starrydecisus » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:00 am

Congrats on the grants for those of you who are getting them!

Also, when I was at the January ASW, the professors mooted the animal cruelty video case. The Supreme Court ruled on the issue today if anyone is interested:

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/04/20/su ... os/?hpt=T2

Burberry by Burberry

Bronze

Post by Burberry by Burberry » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:43 am

starrydecisus wrote:Congrats on the grants for those of you who are getting them!

Also, when I was at the January ASW, the professors mooted the animal cruelty video case. The Supreme Court ruled on the issue today if anyone is interested:

I do not support this decision!!!

The GULC profs were correct in their analysis of the issue and of whom SCOTUS would favor.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Platinum

Post by 02122015 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:45 am

Last edited by 02122015 on Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Interminable_Waiting

Bronze

Post by Interminable_Waiting » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:20 pm

Burberry by Burberry wrote:
starrydecisus wrote:Congrats on the grants for those of you who are getting them!

I do not support this decision!!!

The GULC profs were correct in their analysis of the issue and of whom SCOTUS would favor.

I strongly support this decision.

Thanks Starry for pointing it out. I was wondering about the result recently.

ihurtmyselftoday

New

Post by ihurtmyselftoday » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:39 pm

Sent in my scholarship response form yesterday morning. Committed to Georgetown with the opportunity cost of attending UPenn or a debt-free at GW. Hope it's the right choice (I think it is).

So, where's my curriculum B family at?

nowinGA

Bronze

Post by nowinGA » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:57 pm

I am still on the SPWL...so I hate to bust into the party. But I REALLY want to get off it and become a part of this group! (I am 31, by the way...not sure if I fit, but I'll sure try!)

My question is...for those of you who are going and paying sticker, what did your package look like? Was it just $20,500 stafford and the rest GradPlus? I am just curious how G-town structures their loan packages. They seem to be pretty similar all over...though this is my only school where I wont have a scholarship.

I would appreciate any advice! I want to be ready to pounce when they finally decide to take me!

Thanks!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ihurtmyselftoday

New

Post by ihurtmyselftoday » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:52 pm

nowinGA wrote:I am still on the SPWL...so I hate to bust into the party. But I REALLY want to get off it and become a part of this group! (I am 31, by the way...not sure if I fit, but I'll sure try!)

My question is...for those of you who are going and paying sticker, what did your package look like? Was it just $20,500 stafford and the rest GradPlus? I am just curious how G-town structures their loan packages. They seem to be pretty similar all over...though this is my only school where I wont have a scholarship.

I would appreciate any advice! I want to be ready to pounce when they finally decide to take me!

Thanks!
Before negotiating a scholarship I received a finacial aid evaluation in the mail. I'm not elegible for much need based aid so most of it was federal loans.

Here's the break down (approx. yearly amounts):

Dean's Tuition Grant (need based aid) $4500
Federal Work Study $5000
Federal Stafford Loan $8500
Unsubsidized Stafford $12000
Federal Grad Plus $38000

Delinquent

New

Post by Delinquent » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:04 pm

ihurtmyselftoday wrote:Sent in my scholarship response form yesterday morning. Committed to Georgetown with the opportunity cost of attending UPenn or a debt-free at GW. Hope it's the right choice (I think it is).

Thinking I'm going to wind up in B. Sounds pretty interesting, though ultimately not radically different from the traditional curriculum. If first year is going to be as miserable as everyone says it is, the Curriculum B approach sounds like it might make it somewhat less miserable.
Last edited by Delinquent on Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Interminable_Waiting

Bronze

Post by Interminable_Waiting » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:18 pm

Here is a link to a NYT article on it, and there is also a PDF file of the actual ruling on that page.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/21/us/21scotus.html?hp

Yay First Amendment.

ktalene

New

Post by ktalene » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:50 pm

Hello all, I was recently accepted FT. I was so excited I accidentally started a whole new thread and then was universally mocked. Awesome!

Anyway, very excited to be attending just wondering if anyone could answer a few questions for me-

-Anyone have any suggestions on good places to live that are relatively affordable? I'm coming from Seattle.
-Since I am a little late in the game, just wondering if anyone is just starting the financial aid process now? (except for fafsa)

Thanks!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

gobears09

Bronze

Post by gobears09 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:53 pm

Delinquent wrote:
ihurtmyselftoday wrote:Sent in my scholarship response form yesterday morning. Committed to Georgetown with the opportunity cost of attending UPenn or a debt-free at GW. Hope it's the right choice (I think it is).

Thinking I'm going to wind up in B. Sounds pretty interesting, though ultimately not radically different from the traditional curriculum. If first year is going to be as miserable as everyone says it is, the Curriculum B approach sounds like it might make it somewhat less miserable.
At the reception I went to last weekend I spent a lot of time talking to an '09 grad about Curriculum B, which they call Section 3 once you are in school. I was really interested in it because it seems like something I'd enjoy and it'd fit better with my learning style, however, all this guy did was talk about how it is A LOT more work than the regular Curriculum. He basically said, its everything they do in Curriculum A plus all the legal theory and extra stuff, so be prepared.

Interminable_Waiting

Bronze

Post by Interminable_Waiting » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:03 pm

So Andy Cornblatt just copied me... check your email. I wonder if he reads TLS or the NYT. Probably TLS.

I'm thinking about Section 3/Cur. B too, and when I spoke with someone at the ASW they said it was definitely more work. It seems like basically the tests are similar, so you need to learn all that, but in addition you have to learn lots of other stuff too. Interesting other stuff though...

ihurtmyselftoday

New

Post by ihurtmyselftoday » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:09 pm

gobears09 wrote:
Delinquent wrote:

At the reception I went to last weekend I spent a lot of time talking to an '09 grad about Curriculum B, which they call Section 3 once you are in school. I was really interested in it because it seems like something I'd enjoy and it'd fit better with my learning style, however, all this guy did was talk about how it is A LOT more work than the regular Curriculum. He basically said, its everything they do in Curriculum A plus all the legal theory and extra stuff, so be prepared.
I've heard that Curriculum B would mean more reading but less cases. Basically you study a particular case/issue longer than you would in curriculum A.

I majored in legal studies/philosphy in undergrad so I'd be all for the theory stuff.

...but I'm really not intersted in overloading myself. In what way is it "a lot more work"? More reading? Writing?

js87

Bronze

Post by js87 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:18 pm

Congrats and welcome to the newly accepted people in this thread!

Does anyone know the next step after receiving financial aid info? I received my financial aid "award" (AKA: loan amounts) letter in the mail several weeks ago. What do we do next, and when/how do we actually apply for loans?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:33 pm

Interminable_Waiting wrote:So Andy Cornblatt just copied me... check your email. I wonder if he reads TLS or the NYT. Probably TLS.
I'm thinking about Section 3/Cur. B too, and when I spoke with someone at the ASW they said it was definitely more work. It seems like basically the tests are similar, so you need to learn all that, but in addition you have to learn lots of other stuff too. Interesting other stuff though...
I'm confused. Did I not get this e-mail?

Interminable_Waiting

Bronze

Post by Interminable_Waiting » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:09 pm

Oh. Did you not?? He just me a non-personalized email about the case that we have been discussing with a link to the NYT article I posted.

Maybe it just went to those who attended the ASW?

elliefont

Bronze

Post by elliefont » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:17 pm

Interminable_Waiting wrote:Oh. Did you not?? He just me a non-personalized email about the case that we have been discussing with a link to the NYT article I posted.

Maybe it just went to those who attended the ASW?
yeah, it mentions ASW, so I think it was just for attendees.

Also, def applying for Curriculum B. more work, whatever, I think I'll have an easier time learning when the theory is integrated. the case study method has always scared me.

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:43 pm

Moment of panic. I was worried I sent a withdraw e-mail to them on accident when I sent out a bunch of withdraws a few weeks ago. That would not have been funny.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”