GULC c/o 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
User avatar
D. H2Oman
Posts: 7469
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:47 am

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby D. H2Oman » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:36 pm

Are PT students allowed in this club?

User avatar
Unitas
Posts: 1387
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby Unitas » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:37 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:Are PT students allowed in this club?


Yes of couse, as long as you don't call it GULC. :? Are you for sure attending?

02122015
Posts: 5317
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:57 pm

.

Postby 02122015 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:52 pm

.
Last edited by 02122015 on Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
D. H2Oman
Posts: 7469
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:47 am

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby D. H2Oman » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:53 pm

Unitas wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:Are PT students allowed in this club?


Yes of couse, as long as you don't call it GULC. :? Are you for sure attending?


Yup, I'm 100% in.

User avatar
Unitas
Posts: 1387
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby Unitas » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:58 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:
Unitas wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:Are PT students allowed in this club?


Yes of couse, as long as you don't call it GULC. :? Are you for sure attending?


Yup, I'm 100% in.


Great, welcome. I visited the campus it is very nice. Very small and away from the UG and med school. The people there were great too.. On my visit I ended up walking in a parade on accident that was going around the city. Just a very active and fun place to be.

ITT, a lot of talk of financial aid, Good Wife, and some sports... Talk of jobs and internships also. Oh, and if your single that might be good too. Every other guy is married or long term relationship.

User avatar
starrydecisus
Posts: 547
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:31 am

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby starrydecisus » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:16 pm

Unitas wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:
Unitas wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:Are PT students allowed in this club?


Yes of couse, as long as you don't call it GULC. :? Are you for sure attending?


Yup, I'm 100% in.


Great, welcome. I visited the campus it is very nice. Very small and away from the UG and med school. The people there were great too.. On my visit I ended up walking in a parade on accident that was going around the city. Just a very active and fun place to be.

ITT, a lot of talk of financial aid, Good Wife, and some sports... Talk of jobs and internships also. Oh, and if your single that might be good too. Every other guy is married or long term relationship.



lol that recap was perfect and spot-on, Unitas!

Torvon
Posts: 352
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby Torvon » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:42 am

elliefont wrote:
volsi wrote:
Torvon wrote:So on Myaccess it just updated today to inform me that I am missing W2s and Tax Returns from myself and my parents. Pretty lame they wait till now to tell me. Anyway, does anyone know if that is something I can fax in or does it have to be mailed?


I emailed them my tax return, faxed my dad's business supplement and within a day, it showed up on MyAccess as received. Mail will be your slowest avenue for this. Email is probably best, but fax works.


called them today about just such quandaries... fax or email is best, both are secure. they use an e-fax machine, so it's not like your sensitive tax info is just being spat out into a pile of paper. ALSO, and this was such a relief for me: by continuing to ask for more and more documents, they're indicating that you have passed muster for need-based grant aid eligibility. I was just alerted about parental tax returns, but on my phone call they said that was for final documentation, my review is done and I should hear about grants by Wednesday. fingers crossed, both me and my parents are super broke and I've got sibs in college.

95% sure about Georgetown, btw. hello all. still on a couple waitlists, but the open house was awesome. grant $$ could seal it.


Have you heard anything yet? I sent in the requested tax information a couple days ago and I still have no information at all.

User avatar
flyingpanda
Posts: 824
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:32 am

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby flyingpanda » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:57 am

D. H2Oman wrote:
Unitas wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:Are PT students allowed in this club?


Yes of couse, as long as you don't call it GULC. :? Are you for sure attending?


Yup, I'm 100% in.


Take care of Waterman for us, he's the BP baby.

User avatar
Interminable_Waiting
Posts: 342
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:17 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby Interminable_Waiting » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:00 am

D. H2Oman wrote:
Unitas wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:Are PT students allowed in this club?


Yes of couse, as long as you don't call it GULC. :? Are you for sure attending?


Yup, I'm 100% in.


Hey H2Oman, did you go to school in Vermont?? Or do you live there now? I've been in Burlington these last six years. Didn't think there would be too much representation at Georgetown.

User avatar
ihurtmyselftoday
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:30 am

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby ihurtmyselftoday » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:40 am

starrydecisus wrote:
volsi wrote:Grats, both of you. Now you can breathe easy, knowing your destination in the fall. Enjoy the certainty! :)
Choo-Choo!


Haha, I still haven't officially accepted Georgetown yet. I'm on the 3rd time around of waiting for people to turn down scholarship money!



Starry, did you get an email letting you know to still be patient about funding? The last correspondence I received was from Dean Cornblatt on the 6th. It said I was a strong candidate for funding and that they needed to assess their budget after the 12 Apr offer response deadline. I was told I would get a response by "April 15th for sure". But as of today I've received nothing. What should I be expecting? A phone call? Email? Letter?

User avatar
Topher
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:43 am

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby Topher » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:23 am

I totally wasn't meaning to part time hate, I was merely pointing out a deficiency in the USNews ranking system. I apologize for how dickish I must have seemed. In fact, I strongly considered the part time program so that I could work on the Hill while I was going to school and alleviate some of that debt (I've worked all through college so far). But a friend of mine who is doing that for his MPP and working in a Senate office told me not to try to work on the Hill while going to school because the hours get utterly unbearable, and there was no other job that I wanted to do up in DC. Also, my original intent was to do Curriculum B - which I'm now on the fence about - and Part-Time isn't able to do that. So I wound up check marking the Full Time enrollment, despite my thoughts that Part Time would be way better on my debt situation.

Luckily I got my grant amount yesterday and I am only going to need the Federal Loans, which ought to make my desire for public service a reality even in the full time program.


But, since I was the percieved dickish bastard a couple pages ago, due entirely to my childish anger towards all of the Georgetown hate being spewed in all of the rankings threads, I would like to second the motion that c/o 2014 be added to the thread title.

Or, better yet, we rename the thread title to "Georgetown Law Classes of 2013 and 2014" <-way classier

User avatar
Topher
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:43 am

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby Topher » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:35 am

Oh my God. Tebow changed his throwing motion. (Which I always thought was unnecesarry, since he's already pretty damn good). The chances of my (rather boring) Giants drafting Timmy just went from 0% to......... .5%! Woooo!

Actually I'd like to see him go to the Patriots. Bellicheck would know what to do with him.

User avatar
Interminable_Waiting
Posts: 342
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:17 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby Interminable_Waiting » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:54 am

Topher wrote: Luckily I got my grant amount yesterday and I am only going to need the Federal Loans, which ought to make my desire for public service a reality even in the full time program.


Pretty much everyone only needs federal loans...

Plus public service people basically go to school for free at Georgetown, at least until you are a GS-12 or so.

User avatar
Kim617
Posts: 784
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:36 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby Kim617 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:58 am

Topher wrote:Oh my God. Tebow changed his throwing motion. (Which I always thought was unnecesarry, since he's already pretty damn good). The chances of my (rather boring) Giants drafting Timmy just went from 0% to......... .5%! Woooo!

Actually I'd like to see him go to the Patriots. Bellicheck would know what to do with him.

We have Eli, we don't need him :)

I am so ready for football. (don't get me wrong, i love baseball, i was at the yankee game last night, but there's nothing like watching the gmen <3) We have to find a really good sports bar to watch the games.

User avatar
Robboooo
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:14 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby Robboooo » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:31 am

ihurtmyselftoday wrote:
starrydecisus wrote:
volsi wrote:Grats, both of you. Now you can breathe easy, knowing your destination in the fall. Enjoy the certainty! :)
Choo-Choo!


Haha, I still haven't officially accepted Georgetown yet. I'm on the 3rd time around of waiting for people to turn down scholarship money!



Starry, did you get an email letting you know to still be patient about funding? The last correspondence I received was from Dean Cornblatt on the 6th. It said I was a strong candidate for funding and that they needed to assess their budget after the 12 Apr offer response deadline. I was told I would get a response by "April 15th for sure". But as of today I've received nothing. What should I be expecting? A phone call? Email? Letter?


I got a response yesterday basically saying "hey, we know we've kept you waiting, so how about waiting some more?" and telling me they'll have another update for me on the 23rd. I liked how they asked if I would like to remain on the list for consideration of scholarships though. "No, no, I'm good, too much waiting gives me heartburn anyway. I'll just enjoy my massive debt in peace, thanks..."

Of course I'll wait another week to see if you'll give me some money!

User avatar
Robboooo
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:14 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby Robboooo » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:51 am

Kim617 wrote:
I'll be in Europe for like 6 weeks this summer, therefore spending every dime I have. It doesn't seem like the best idea considering how much law school costs, but you only live once right? The bad thing is that I really prefer to stay in hotels over hostels, and I'm not being as thrifty as I should be because I like staying in nice hotels right in the center of the cities. Oh well, when will I have the opportunity to do this again once law school starts, right?

What is everyone else doing this summer?


Just catching up on all this...I'm hoping to go to Southeast Asia for 6-7 weeks in the beginning of June. Buuuut, I have yet to actually book a plane ticket or make any real plans...

I think I'm also gonna be spending a good amount of money, so you're definitely not alone in the "I'm gonna be broke, but you only live once, right?" thinking. My plane ticket alone will probably cost like ~$1500 (doesn't help that I'm probably gonna leave from a different city than I fly into). But at least once I'm there, I can probably get by on like $20 a day, or $30 if I really wanna live it up, thanks to how ridiculously cheap everything is there.

It'll definitely be a big wake up call when I get back to the U.S. and have to deal with NY and DC prices...

User avatar
Kim617
Posts: 784
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:36 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby Kim617 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:09 pm

Robboooo wrote:
Kim617 wrote:
I'll be in Europe for like 6 weeks this summer, therefore spending every dime I have. It doesn't seem like the best idea considering how much law school costs, but you only live once right? The bad thing is that I really prefer to stay in hotels over hostels, and I'm not being as thrifty as I should be because I like staying in nice hotels right in the center of the cities. Oh well, when will I have the opportunity to do this again once law school starts, right?

What is everyone else doing this summer?


Just catching up on all this...I'm hoping to go to Southeast Asia for 6-7 weeks in the beginning of June. Buuuut, I have yet to actually book a plane ticket or make any real plans...

I think I'm also gonna be spending a good amount of money, so you're definitely not alone in the "I'm gonna be broke, but you only live once, right?" thinking. My plane ticket alone will probably cost like ~$1500 (doesn't help that I'm probably gonna leave from a different city than I fly into). But at least once I'm there, I can probably get by on like $20 a day, or $30 if I really wanna live it up, thanks to how ridiculously cheap everything is there.

It'll definitely be a big wake up call when I get back to the U.S. and have to deal with NY and DC prices...


Ha, I got my mom to pay for my plane ticket! And for three weeks my housing and food will be paid for (I'm teaching English at a camp). So really I'm just spending money on the three weeks that I'll be traveling. We're flying into London, then going to the French Riviera (staying in Cannes), then we'll probably spend a night in Monaco, then I'm off to the Italian Riviera for training and camp, then we're going to Prague, the Amalfi Coast, and Dubrovnik in Croatia. Overall though, i doubt I'll spend more than $1000 on flights and hotels. Shopping and food and excursions are another matter. I'm pretty skilled at finding 4 star hotels for cheap, and flights are really cheap anyway. So I really can't complain.

Where in SE Asia are you headed?

User avatar
ihurtmyselftoday
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:30 am

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby ihurtmyselftoday » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:16 pm

Robboooo wrote:
ihurtmyselftoday wrote:
starrydecisus wrote:
volsi wrote:Grats, both of you. Now you can breathe easy, knowing your destination in the fall. Enjoy the certainty! :)
Choo-Choo!


Haha, I still haven't officially accepted Georgetown yet. I'm on the 3rd time around of waiting for people to turn down scholarship money!



Starry, did you get an email letting you know to still be patient about funding? The last correspondence I received was from Dean Cornblatt on the 6th. It said I was a strong candidate for funding and that they needed to assess their budget after the 12 Apr offer response deadline. I was told I would get a response by "April 15th for sure". But as of today I've received nothing. What should I be expecting? A phone call? Email? Letter?


I got a response yesterday basically saying "hey, we know we've kept you waiting, so how about waiting some more?" and telling me they'll have another update for me on the 23rd. I liked how they asked if I would like to remain on the list for consideration of scholarships though. "No, no, I'm good, too much waiting gives me heartburn anyway. I'll just enjoy my massive debt in peace, thanks..."

Of course I'll wait another week to see if you'll give me some money!


I just got off the phone with the scholarship comittee asking about the status of my request. Apparantly they "sent" the email on the 13th. Found out they had a problem with the software used to send the messages.

Anyway, they offered $15K a year..

...and I have until the Monday morning to decide :shock:

User avatar
elliefont
Posts: 103
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:07 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby elliefont » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:24 pm

Torvon wrote:
elliefont wrote:
volsi wrote:
Torvon wrote:So on Myaccess it just updated today to inform me that I am missing W2s and Tax Returns from myself and my parents. Pretty lame they wait till now to tell me. Anyway, does anyone know if that is something I can fax in or does it have to be mailed?


I emailed them my tax return, faxed my dad's business supplement and within a day, it showed up on MyAccess as received. Mail will be your slowest avenue for this. Email is probably best, but fax works.


called them today about just such quandaries... fax or email is best, both are secure. they use an e-fax machine, so it's not like your sensitive tax info is just being spat out into a pile of paper. ALSO, and this was such a relief for me: by continuing to ask for more and more documents, they're indicating that you have passed muster for need-based grant aid eligibility. I was just alerted about parental tax returns, but on my phone call they said that was for final documentation, my review is done and I should hear about grants by Wednesday. fingers crossed, both me and my parents are super broke and I've got sibs in college.

95% sure about Georgetown, btw. hello all. still on a couple waitlists, but the open house was awesome. grant $$ could seal it.


Have you heard anything yet? I sent in the requested tax information a couple days ago and I still have no information at all.


they said people have been having trouble seeing their grant money in MyAccess. My loan offers showed up this week and they definitely don't add up to $68k. Fin Aid office phone person says I should subtract what the loan offers are from 68 and that's my grant. it is sizable and I am very happy!!! I should get a letter in the mail soon with the official offer. good luck!

User avatar
Robboooo
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:14 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby Robboooo » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:31 pm

Kim617 wrote:
Ha, I got my mom to pay for my plane ticket! And for three weeks my housing and food will be paid for (I'm teaching English at a camp). So really I'm just spending money on the three weeks that I'll be traveling. We're flying into London, then going to the French Riviera (staying in Cannes), then we'll probably spend a night in Monaco, then I'm off to the Italian Riviera for training and camp, then we're going to Prague, the Amalfi Coast, and Dubrovnik in Croatia. Overall though, i doubt I'll spend more than $1000 on flights and hotels. Shopping and food and excursions are another matter. I'm pretty skilled at finding 4 star hotels for cheap, and flights are really cheap anyway. So I really can't complain.

Where in SE Asia are you headed?


Haha, lucky you. My mom is trying to convince me not to go (she doesn't want me to go alone, which I'm considering). It sounds like you've got an awesome trip planned though. I've heard amazing things about every single place you're going to.

I've got a friend who's living in Indonesia (Jakarta), so I'm hoping to head out there, and I definitely plan on going to Thailand as well. Not sure about specifics since I haven't done much research yet, but I think I'll definitely have to plan around the weather a little bit since it's monsoon season in some areas. Depending how long I spend in each of those places though, I'd like to try and go to Vietnam and Cambodia as well, but we'll see.

User avatar
Robboooo
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:14 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby Robboooo » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:38 pm

ihurtmyselftoday wrote:
Anyway, they offered $15K a year..

...and I have until the Monday morning to decide :shock:



Turn it down! And then subtly suggest that they give it to me instead... :lol:

No, that's great actually. Congrats!

User avatar
Interminable_Waiting
Posts: 342
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:17 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby Interminable_Waiting » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:49 pm

Robboooo wrote:
Kim617 wrote:
Ha, I got my mom to pay for my plane ticket! And for three weeks my housing and food will be paid for (I'm teaching English at a camp). So really I'm just spending money on the three weeks that I'll be traveling. We're flying into London, then going to the French Riviera (staying in Cannes), then we'll probably spend a night in Monaco, then I'm off to the Italian Riviera for training and camp, then we're going to Prague, the Amalfi Coast, and Dubrovnik in Croatia. Overall though, i doubt I'll spend more than $1000 on flights and hotels. Shopping and food and excursions are another matter. I'm pretty skilled at finding 4 star hotels for cheap, and flights are really cheap anyway. So I really can't complain.

Where in SE Asia are you headed?


Haha, lucky you. My mom is trying to convince me not to go (she doesn't want me to go alone, which I'm considering). It sounds like you've got an awesome trip planned though. I've heard amazing things about every single place you're going to.

I've got a friend who's living in Indonesia (Jakarta), so I'm hoping to head out there, and I definitely plan on going to Thailand as well. Not sure about specifics since I haven't done much research yet, but I think I'll definitely have to plan around the weather a little bit since it's monsoon season in some areas. Depending how long I spend in each of those places though, I'd like to try and go to Vietnam and Cambodia as well, but we'll see.



I spent a summer in Cambodia a few years back, and if you are interested in history/ancient civizliations at all you should definitely go to Angkor Wat and related buildings. If not, then there isn't that much to do outside of Phnom Penh (and its a bitch to get anywhere), and you can see all the important Khmer Rouge-related stuff in a day or two.

User avatar
PheelTheMusic
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:51 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby PheelTheMusic » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:57 pm

Kim617 wrote:
Topher wrote:Oh my God. Tebow changed his throwing motion. (Which I always thought was unnecesarry, since he's already pretty damn good). The chances of my (rather boring) Giants drafting Timmy just went from 0% to......... .5%! Woooo!

Actually I'd like to see him go to the Patriots. Bellicheck would know what to do with him.

We have Eli, we don't need him :)

I am so ready for football. (don't get me wrong, i love baseball, i was at the yankee game last night, but there's nothing like watching the gmen <3) We have to find a really good sports bar to watch the games.


I really hope the Pats draft Tebow in R2 too... because that means they didn't grab any of the much better options still on the board at that point!

I cannot wait for football season.

This is the year of the Green n White. Holmes, Edwards, Cotchery, Keller, Tomlinson and Washington all on the field on third down. Who do you cover???
Oh, and our D is pretty good too :wink:

User avatar
Interminable_Waiting
Posts: 342
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:17 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby Interminable_Waiting » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:02 pm

PheelTheMusic wrote:
Kim617 wrote:
Topher wrote:Oh my God. Tebow changed his throwing motion. (Which I always thought was unnecesarry, since he's already pretty damn good). The chances of my (rather boring) Giants drafting Timmy just went from 0% to......... .5%! Woooo!

Actually I'd like to see him go to the Patriots. Bellicheck would know what to do with him.

We have Eli, we don't need him :)

I am so ready for football. (don't get me wrong, i love baseball, i was at the yankee game last night, but there's nothing like watching the gmen <3) We have to find a really good sports bar to watch the games.


I really hope the Pats draft Tebow in R2 too... because that means they didn't grab any of the much better options still on the board at that point!

I cannot wait for football season.

This is the year of the Green n White. Holmes, Edwards, Cotchery, Keller, Tomlinson and Washington all on the field on third down. Who do you cover???
Oh, and our D is pretty good too :wink:



1) Holmes will be suspended, so no one has to guard him.
2) Edwards will drop the ball, so no one has to guard him.
3) Sanchez is likely to miss the remaining targets, none of whom are above-average NFL players, so no one needs to guard them.
4) Thomas Jones is scary though, I hope they don't give him the ball on third down.... oh wait.

Your D is good, unfortunately.

nycgirl87
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:01 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby nycgirl87 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:07 pm

Hey, so I have been following this thread and just sent in my deposit today. I'm really excited and think I definitely made the right choice (even though the rest of TLS may disagree..still can't quite figure out why there is so much gtown hate on this site). Once I started seeing the Giants and Yankees talk I knew I had to speak up. Finding a good sports bar to watch the games once we get to DC sounds like a great idea. Can't wait to meet everyone in August!




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest