GULC c/o 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
User avatar
starrydecisus
Posts: 547
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:31 am

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby starrydecisus » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:55 pm

We bought those space saver vacuum seal bags to help with packing. They're amazing! (and re-usable!)

WhatUpKells
Posts: 88
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:49 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby WhatUpKells » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:30 pm

What supplements are people using, specifically in Section 3? Everyone seems to recommend using E&Es and hornbooks, but I'm not sure where I should be looking and what I'm looking at.

And to other Section 3 people, the books for Bargain, Exchange, and Liability is still To Be Decided, correct?

And one more question: if we can't ship stuff to Gewirz yet, and if you have to sign within 24 hours... what happens to stuff that comes too early, or that we don't sign for in time? Seems kind of ridiculous to me...

User avatar
nowinGA
Posts: 385
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:06 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby nowinGA » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:15 pm

WhatUpKells wrote:What supplements are people using, specifically in Section 3? Everyone seems to recommend using E&Es and hornbooks, but I'm not sure where I should be looking and what I'm looking at.

And to other Section 3 people, the books for Bargain, Exchange, and Liability is still To Be Decided, correct?

And one more question: if we can't ship stuff to Gewirz yet, and if you have to sign within 24 hours... what happens to stuff that comes too early, or that we don't sign for in time? Seems kind of ridiculous to me...


I have been told by my peer advisor and other former section 3ers to just hold off and see what we want/need. Obviously are needs are a bit different than the traditional stuff...you will have time to get them later.

Yes, from what I can tell, the BEL books are yet to be posted.

I am shipping my boxes through a UPS store and they can set it to be shipped a particular date. So I am dropping mine off tomorrow (shipping ground, the cheapest) and setting mine to arrive on Friday. They said that is no big deal.

Hope that helps!

User avatar
Unitas
Posts: 1387
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby Unitas » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:45 pm

I just got an e-mail about my loans and after looking through them quickly it looks like the disbursement date is the 20th, this Friday. That is good and better than I thought. That means we can buy our books next week with loan money.

User avatar
nowinGA
Posts: 385
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:06 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby nowinGA » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:54 pm

Unitas wrote:I just got an e-mail about my loans and after looking through them quickly it looks like the disbursement date is the 20th, this Friday. That is good and better than I thought. That means we can buy our books next week with loan money.


cool! thanks for the tip! I think it might take like, one more day to get from your account to the bank account you select...but that should still give you plenty of time...coolness.

dk8
Posts: 495
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:39 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby dk8 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:58 pm

nowinGA wrote:
Unitas wrote:I just got an e-mail about my loans and after looking through them quickly it looks like the disbursement date is the 20th, this Friday. That is good and better than I thought. That means we can buy our books next week with loan money.


cool! thanks for the tip! I think it might take like, one more day to get from your account to the bank account you select...but that should still give you plenty of time...coolness.


Do we have to let them know now which bank account we are using or does that come later?

User avatar
nowinGA
Posts: 385
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:06 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby nowinGA » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:03 pm

dk8 wrote:
nowinGA wrote:
Unitas wrote:I just got an e-mail about my loans and after looking through them quickly it looks like the disbursement date is the 20th, this Friday. That is good and better than I thought. That means we can buy our books next week with loan money.


cool! thanks for the tip! I think it might take like, one more day to get from your account to the bank account you select...but that should still give you plenty of time...coolness.


Do we have to let them know now which bank account we are using or does that come later?


Don't know...but you CAN do it now if you want...so it's all ready. It's somewhere in the student account link you get to through MyAccess...I found it while digging through there and thought I might as well set it up.

User avatar
Unitas
Posts: 1387
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby Unitas » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:04 pm

dk8 wrote:
nowinGA wrote:
Unitas wrote:I just got an e-mail about my loans and after looking through them quickly it looks like the disbursement date is the 20th, this Friday. That is good and better than I thought. That means we can buy our books next week with loan money.


cool! thanks for the tip! I think it might take like, one more day to get from your account to the bank account you select...but that should still give you plenty of time...coolness.


Do we have to let them know now which bank account we are using or does that come later?


Do it now, why wait? Unless you expect to get a different account before then. Go into MyAccess then student account, then click on refunds, then it'll ask for a payment profile and fill it all out. Then is should be set as a use for refund setting. "It is really easy, but my directions make it sound like a pain"

EDIT: NowinGA beat me to it.

dk8
Posts: 495
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:39 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby dk8 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:05 pm

Thanks guys...I haven't dug around there at all. Didn't even know that form existed. I'll be responsible and do it now.

wackadoodle
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:02 am

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby wackadoodle » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:16 pm

Did anyone else get an email about loans? I haven't gotten anything recently so I just assumed it was all in order.

I moved here a few weeks ago and recently went to a nationals game- good news and bad news. The good news is the pulled pork sandwiches are freaking delicious. The bad news is that the nationals are horribly almost indescribably awful. I saw them lose 9-2 or something like that to the diamondbacks on saturday.

dk8
Posts: 495
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:39 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby dk8 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:22 pm

wackadoodle wrote:Did anyone else get an email about loans? I haven't gotten anything recently so I just assumed it was all in order.

I moved here a few weeks ago and recently went to a nationals game- good news and bad news. The good news is the pulled pork sandwiches are freaking delicious. The bad news is that the nationals are horribly almost indescribably awful. I saw them lose 9-2 or something like that to the diamondbacks on saturday.


They are pretty bad, but the tickets are cheap and they have some good players. Dunn, Zimmerman, Strasburg and they are about to sign that phenom Bryce Harper.

User avatar
nowinGA
Posts: 385
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:06 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby nowinGA » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:24 pm

wackadoodle wrote:Did anyone else get an email about loans? I haven't gotten anything recently so I just assumed it was all in order.

I moved here a few weeks ago and recently went to a nationals game- good news and bad news. The good news is the pulled pork sandwiches are freaking delicious. The bad news is that the nationals are horribly almost indescribably awful. I saw them lose 9-2 or something like that to the diamondbacks on saturday.


Oh, but you didn't see them LAST season. It was worse. So this season is BETTER. That is GOOD NEWS! Now we have a fancy pitcher with a sore arm! ;) The charming part is the $5 tickets...

User avatar
Unitas
Posts: 1387
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby Unitas » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:38 pm

wackadoodle wrote:Did anyone else get an email about loans? I haven't gotten anything recently so I just assumed it was all in order.

I moved here a few weeks ago and recently went to a nationals game- good news and bad news. The good news is the pulled pork sandwiches are freaking delicious. The bad news is that the nationals are horribly almost indescribably awful. I saw them lose 9-2 or something like that to the diamondbacks on saturday.


Log into your account at studentloans.gov. That is where I had to go to get the information about the loans. The e-mails were also sent to whatever e-mail you gave student loans website.

Nationals are really bad, but they play good teams and are still cheap. That is a win in my book.

wackadoodle
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:02 am

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby wackadoodle » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:14 pm

So I just checked out studentloans.gov (thanks! btw) and if you read the disbursement forms it shows why myaccess and the student account amounts may not be the same. Mine were different for each loan by anywhere from $20-$200 but its bc of the disbursement fee that we have to pay upfront.

Has anyone actually gone to the bookstore and purchased any books yet? They seemed to be the same price as amazon? does this sound right? and what is the different between the casebook and looseleaf casebook? Is it just that one is hard cover or something? Any advise/preferences?

User avatar
Unitas
Posts: 1387
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby Unitas » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:30 am

wackadoodle wrote:So I just checked out studentloans.gov (thanks! btw) and if you read the disbursement forms it shows why myaccess and the student account amounts may not be the same. Mine were different for each loan by anywhere from $20-$200 but its bc of the disbursement fee that we have to pay upfront.

Has anyone actually gone to the bookstore and purchased any books yet? They seemed to be the same price as amazon? does this sound right? and what is the different between the casebook and looseleaf casebook? Is it just that one is hard cover or something? Any advise/preferences?


I had one loose leaf book in UG and it was a book that wasn't bound. Meaning the pages were loose, not sure if the casebook is the same exact thing. I hated it though and would never want to do it again. Pages get lost and messed up, it isn't nice to save, and it's overall annoying. Not worth the savings to me. However, some people loved it because they only had to keep the pages they needed and didn't have to carry around a huge book.

02122015
Posts: 5317
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:57 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby 02122015 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:14 am

I hope someone in D.C. got yesterday's Mad Men on DVR!

User avatar
starrydecisus
Posts: 547
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:31 am

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby starrydecisus » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:44 pm

2 weeks until we're sitting in our classes :P

User avatar
mb88
Posts: 167
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:15 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby mb88 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:47 pm

Maybe I'm dense - but is there a list of the books we'll need somewhere? I see people talking about buying them already and it's got me all excited, but I don't know what to get! :P

User avatar
Unitas
Posts: 1387
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby Unitas » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:02 pm

mb88 wrote:Maybe I'm dense - but is there a list of the books we'll need somewhere? I see people talking about buying them already and it's got me all excited, but I don't know what to get! :P


Go to the bookstore and look by each class. It'll give you the books.

Link: --LinkRemoved--

djc0751
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:51 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby djc0751 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:14 pm

How can I get my specific course schedule on MyAccess (i.e., with specific ConLaw & LRW section #'s)? I've heard this is possible, but when I go on MyAccess there doesn't seem to be any link for my schedule. Thanks!

User avatar
nowinGA
Posts: 385
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:06 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby nowinGA » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:17 pm

Unitas wrote:
mb88 wrote:Maybe I'm dense - but is there a list of the books we'll need somewhere? I see people talking about buying them already and it's got me all excited, but I don't know what to get! :P


Go to the bookstore and look by each class. It'll give you the books.

Link: --LinkRemoved--


Even easier, go here: http://www.law.georgetown.edu/curriculum/jdprog.cfm

Click on your class, your prof, and you can get a link to the books without having to type in the class numbers, etc.

User avatar
nowinGA
Posts: 385
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:06 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby nowinGA » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:18 pm

djc0751 wrote:How can I get my specific course schedule on MyAccess (i.e., with specific ConLaw & LRW section #'s)? I've heard this is possible, but when I go on MyAccess there doesn't seem to be any link for my schedule. Thanks!


You can get it by logging into the admitted students site. There will be a link on the right side to get to your particular schedule.

Note: You won't find out your small class assignments (every section has different courses as the "small" section, along with writing) until orientation. At least that is what we were told. I might be wrong and perhaps there is a way to look it up

Edit: This is the note on the admitted students website, when you click on your section: (these are my small sections for section 3)

Your small section assignments for your Legal Practice class and your Legal Justice Seminar class will be distributed at your Registration Session.

Sequoia90
Posts: 98
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:22 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby Sequoia90 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:19 pm

You guys who posted the way to set up your "payment profile" for our money are freakin life savers...

Hopefully the deposit will come through in time to grab some books? I'm on track to spend most of my saved money on sheets/towels/pots/pans/microwave/etc.

User avatar
nowinGA
Posts: 385
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:06 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby nowinGA » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:40 pm

Sequoia90 wrote:You guys who posted the way to set up your "payment profile" for our money are freakin life savers...

Hopefully the deposit will come through in time to grab some books? I'm on track to spend most of my saved money on sheets/towels/pots/pans/microwave/etc.


If I remember right from what Heather said, you still have to tell the system to transfer to your account once it is refunded to your student account. That is, you gotta click somewhere and say "go." I might be wrong about that, but just throwing it out there to make sure you get it as fast as possible!

User avatar
D. H2Oman
Posts: 7469
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:47 am

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby D. H2Oman » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:52 pm

starrydecisus wrote:2 weeks until we're sitting in our classes :P



:|




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest