GULC c/o 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
scribelaw

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby scribelaw » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:01 pm

My books are coming to like $675 with the supplements...Damn...Does that seem about right or high?

nowinGA

Postby nowinGA » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:36 pm

scribelaw wrote:My books are coming to like $675 with the supplements...Damn...Does that seem about right or high?

that sounds about right. i have no idea how the $525 (or whatever) a semester they budget is at all correct. i think it was the lowest book budget at all of the schools I was strongly considering. especially if it really includes "supplies"...ah well. chalk it up i guess!

Do you know about amazon.com student prime? you can sign up and have free 2-day shipping for a year. And their prices are pretty comparable to other "sale" prices I have found (for new books, I am only buying new)...plus you can order all other kinds of stuff from there.

Edit: my avatar seems to have disappeared...wtf?

starrydecisus

Postby starrydecisus » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:55 pm

nowinGA wrote:
scribelaw wrote:My books are coming to like $675 with the supplements...Damn...Does that seem about right or high?

that sounds about right. i have no idea how the $525 (or whatever) a semester they budget is at all correct. i think it was the lowest book budget at all of the schools I was strongly considering. especially if it really includes "supplies"...ah well. chalk it up i guess!

Do you know about amazon.com student prime? you can sign up and have free 2-day shipping for a year. And their prices are pretty comparable to other "sale" prices I have found (for new books, I am only buying new)...plus you can order all other kinds of stuff from there.

Amazon prime is amazing.

nowinGA

Postby nowinGA » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:56 pm

starrydecisus wrote:
nowinGA wrote:

Amazon prime is amazing.

Totally! I had been stealing my sister's (not sure if you are supposed to do that or not)...so I had gotten kind of used to it. So it was nice to find a way I could to it myself..(legit)...and FREE! Yay!

SDWaterBaby

Postby SDWaterBaby » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:11 pm

I'm trying to buy textbooks...but for torts and for legal research and writing, there are different books based on which section you get, so we basically have to wait until we register to buy those books right? Or am I missing something and we already know which section we're in? And how do you guys feel about used textbooks that have highlighting and underlining? Is it worth the reduction in price?

nowinGA

Postby nowinGA » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:27 pm

SDWaterBaby wrote:I'm trying to buy textbooks...but for torts and for legal research and writing, there are different books based on which section you get, so we basically have to wait until we register to buy those books right? Or am I missing something and we already know which section we're in? And how do you guys feel about used textbooks that have highlighting and underlining? Is it worth the reduction in price?

Yes, I think you just have to wait...we will find out at Orientation what smaller sections we are in. We just discussed the used book issue just a bit ago in this thread...(scroll back a couple of pages and you can see it) I personally am getting all new books...pretty much ever law school primer I have read says you should never get used books, because the notes in the text should be yours, etc. But I guess it is a personal preference.

Good luck!

Postby 02122015 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:03 pm

Huh, my roommate finally joined the FB group (couldn't locate him before; name too common), but I don't feel like adding friends yet since it just feels creepy, even though we're going to be roommates. I'm weird like that.

gilchristh

Postby gilchristh » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:51 pm

Unitas wrote:I like getting new books. I try and keep them all.

On a quick scan to see what I missed over the past two days on the road, I really thought this said, "I like getting new boobs." I thought it was an odd thing to post on TLS, then I realized that it's just my eyes paying me back for being horrendous to them for the past 36-48 hours.

Postby 02122015 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:52 pm

gilchristh wrote:
Unitas wrote:I like getting new books. I try and keep them all.

On a quick scan to see what I missed over the past two days on the road, I really thought this said, "I like getting new boobs." I thought it was an odd thing to post on TLSoutside of the lounge, then I realized that it's just my eyes paying me back for being horrendous to them for the past 36-48 hours.

fixed that for you

gilchristh

Postby gilchristh » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:12 am

This is actually pretty important info that is also easy to miss otherwise, so I'm bullet-pointing it for posterity:
  • Yes, there will be some reading assignments for everyone, regardless of section or class.
  • Usually refunds are processed late during Orientation week so you have funds to buy books before classes begin on Monday, but this might not happen with the new DirectLoan federal system.
  • BUT there is no need to panic, even for those of you who planned as phenomenally poorly for law school finances as I did! Even if some of your reading assignments are from casebooks that you have not yet bought (for whatever reason), every professor I had last year (I assume it is standard practice, but can't speak in absolutesl) puts up a mini-coursepack that is all inclusive and contains the first 2-3 classes worth of assignments. It's downloadable for free through the Law Center website that nowinGA posted (http://www.law.georgetown.edu/faculty/assignments/).
  • So, no, you don't have to buy your books before Orientation.

By the way, I might have actually been the person who found the reading assignments link and posted it to the Facebook group last year... not that it was any indicator of on-top-of-it-ness once classes actually started. But I think they sent us an email about it anyway, so if you haven't gotten it yet, then you all are super DUPER ahead of the game, even those of you who think that you're not. :D

gilchristh

Postby gilchristh » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:17 am

nowinGA wrote:

I think I spent closer to about $800 fall semester because I bought everything I bought it all at the bookstore, and I bought it all new (including the recommended crap that your LRW professor will suggests, which will almost certainly do little other than collect dust on your bookshelf). There are smarter ways to buy--Amazon Prime is definitely a good call, as is skipping some recommended crap you don't need. You can always go back and buy something that was only on the recommended list later if you feel like you need it; unfortunately, you can't unbuy it and selling it won't recover the wasted cost.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:24 pm

The book situation should be fine. It always worked out in UG. I am frankly not even going to look into it until the Tuesday (two day amazon shipping) after move-in. Pretty sure the school has it figured out well enough that we might have a few bumps along the way, but no sinking potholes. I finished reading getting to maybe and thinking like a lawyer, both good books I would highly recommend. Thinking like a lawyer doesn’t have a great ending, but the book is still very good overall.

Fellow Section 1ers:

Anyone doing Central Union Mission?? I am behind and about to sign up for them, but the food bank is full. :(

Anyone doing Organization of American States? I have a particular interest, but it is not popular and I could see it turning into a shit show (for lack of a better phrase) that I probably want to avoid before the first day of class.

Did we ever figure out what the race is?

On a final note, I just finished getting all the stuff I need. I ended up with a nice setup for my TV, hope it works out well.

johndhi

Postby johndhi » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:00 pm

MSPeast wrote:Huh, my roommate finally joined the FB group (couldn't locate him before; name too common), but I don't feel like adding friends yet since it just feels creepy, even though we're going to be roommates. I'm weird like that.

It's significantly creepier to post about your future roommate with clues to his identity on an internet forum :)

starrydecisus

Postby starrydecisus » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:31 pm

I'm leaving for DC to join those of you already up there in 8 days ::freaks out a little inside::

So much to get done! I haven't even looked at text books. I think I'm going to join Unitas in taking advantage of Amazon Prime during Orientation week!

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:25 pm

Everyone in the school should sign a pledge to not do any out of class reading! Let the curve do it job.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:25 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:Everyone in the school should sign a pledge to not do any out of class reading! Let the curve do it job.

+1

chipchip

Postby chipchip » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:50 pm

Unitas wrote:Really Georgetown Credit Union? Really? They need copies of my ids to open the account. This school knows more about me than any other person on earth (including my wife) and they want a damn copy of my ids (They want TWO different forms of id). What the hell?

Not sure if this was answered yet, but if you are talking about the Georgetown University Alumni Student FCU, then that is not officially part of the University. It is a student-operated bank on main campus, just like a Chevy Chase. So they, unlike GULC, know nothing about you.

Also, I would recommend you pick a bank closer. I'm with GUASFCU because I was an undergrad and never closed the account, but it's annoying to have to pay every time I take out money from most ATMs in the area, including the ones on the GULC campus - The Hoya Federal Credit Union is not the same.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:33 am

chipchip wrote:
Unitas wrote:Really Georgetown Credit Union? Really? They need copies of my ids to open the account. This school knows more about me than any other person on earth (including my wife) and they want a damn copy of my ids (They want TWO different forms of id). What the hell?

Not sure if this was answered yet, but if you are talking about the Georgetown University Alumni Student FCU, then that is not officially part of the University. It is a student-operated bank on main campus, just like a Chevy Chase. So they, unlike GULC, know nothing about you.

Also, I would recommend you pick a bank closer. I'm with GUASFCU because I was an undergrad and never closed the account, but it's annoying to have to pay every time I take out money from most ATMs in the area, including the ones on the GULC campus - The Hoya Federal Credit Union is not the same.

:cry: Already have my account and tied to my student account. It isn't a big deal anyhow as I am not going to be using it that much. I thought since it was only for Alumni and Students and they ask for access to student records (they ask for the ability to check if I am a student) they would just verify me through that.

Nice to meet you and thanks for the information. You are a 2L?

Postby 02122015 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:14 pm

10 days to Gewirz. :)

starrydecisus

Postby starrydecisus » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:24 pm

MSPeast wrote:10 days to Gewirz. :)

If this were facebook, I would "like" this!

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:04 pm

8 until I head up and 9 until move in. Anyone else read about the bad storms in DC today?

starrydecisus

Postby starrydecisus » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:21 pm

Unitas wrote:

8 until I head up and 9 until move in. Anyone else read about the bad storms in DC today?

6 days till I head up! Yikes! so much to do. so little time.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:44 pm

What size did the gocard picture have to be? What size was anyones they accepted?

volsi

Postby volsi » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:32 pm

I slept through the storms... :oops:

For the Gocard picture, I sent them a squarish photo of myself at a decent resolution (so I'd look better shrunk down). It was probably 450x480 pixels and it was fine.

starrydecisus

Postby starrydecisus » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:33 pm

So in some of the classrooms, the carpeted floor slopes up at the end of the row. When I was exploring last month, I tripped over it and laughed, saying "I need to be careful of that so I don't fall down in front of the whole class." After I said that, I proceeded to forget and trip over the floor THREE MORE TIMES!

So...Section 2. Please don't laugh at me when I fall in class :oops:

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”