GULC c/o 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
volsi

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby volsi » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:31 pm

I'm going to be living off campus but I think I'll be living alone. The apartment search is a little overwhelming. I have been asking some gulc alums I know, but both of them lived in luxury high rises. Doesn't help!

What I'm worried about is commute time from Dupont and enviorns. I'm thinking of getting a car. I commute a half hour to work now, but law books are heavy! I don't want to lug them on the DC metro.

Interminable_Waiting

Postby Interminable_Waiting » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:34 pm

Does anyone have any awards/Stafford loans up on the MyAccess site???

Mine isn't up yet... doubtful I have anything but the loans, but I would like to know.

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:45 pm

Interminable_Waiting wrote:Does anyone have any awards/Stafford loans up on the MyAccess site???

Mine isn't up yet... doubtful I have anything but the loans, but I would like to know.

Yeah, I don't have anything yet. It says I have some unsatisfied requirements, but I know for sure I already sent my mom's W-2. Weird.

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:57 pm

Actually, scratch that. I just checked again and it showed that I received the full amount for all the loans, plus the full amount for work study. Does that mean I am not getting any need based grants?

Edit to say that I called and she said it probably wouldn't show need based grants because they just started looking at that. Here's to praying I get SOMETHING.
Last edited by Kim617 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

js87

Postby js87 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:02 pm

Is myaccess a georgetown thing or is it on needaccess? Also, for anyone who has mailed in or faxed a scholarship response form, have you received confirmation from Gtown?

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:07 pm

js87 wrote:Is myaccess a georgetown thing or is it on needaccess? Also, for anyone who has mailed in or faxed a scholarship response form, have you received confirmation from Gtown?

It's a georgetown thing. You need to get your netId and your password to login. I got mine at the ASW but I think if you didn't attend you'll get it in the mail.

amolson04

Postby amolson04 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:29 pm

Kim617 wrote:
starrydecisus wrote:
Kim617 wrote:
amolson04 wrote:so i'm a little late to this party, but can i be the next member of GULC girls football-watching club 2010?!?! i watch(ed) every sunday with my dad, who likes the colts, but i have divided team loyalties. mostly i just refuse to cheer for the vikings :D

also, i second (third?) the idea that dc/ny humidity sucks.

ahhaha definitely! i like the colts, gotta root for brother manning!

So....my guilty secret is that I'm sort of in love with Payton Manning....

haha he's charismatic and charming!

oh i know, me too! i actually saw peyton at the indy airport last summer (july 1, 2009) but unfortunately about a dozen ten-year-old boys saw him first. he seemed pretty nice about it, though - all the parents were taking pictures of the kids with him and he was signing autographs and stuff.

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:51 pm

amolson04 wrote:
Kim617 wrote:
starrydecisus wrote:
Kim617 wrote:ahhaha definitely! i like the colts, gotta root for brother manning!

oh i know, me too! i actually saw peyton at the indy airport last summer (july 1, 2009) but unfortunately about a dozen ten-year-old boys saw him first. he seemed pretty nice about it, though - all the parents were taking pictures of the kids with him and he was signing autographs and stuff.

i probably would've been too much like a teenage girl at a jonas brothers concert to actually act reasonable if i saw peyton OR eli manning.

volsi

Postby volsi » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:55 pm

Kim617 wrote:
js87 wrote:Is myaccess a georgetown thing or is it on needaccess? Also, for anyone who has mailed in or faxed a scholarship response form, have you received confirmation from Gtown?

It's a georgetown thing. You need to get your netId and your password to login. I got mine at the ASW but I think if you didn't attend you'll get it in the mail.

Er, what if you attended and forgot to get your myaccess thing? I guess I should email admissions? Damn, can't believe I just let it slip my mind.

amolson04

Postby amolson04 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:10 pm

Kim617 wrote:
amolson04 wrote:
Kim617 wrote:
starrydecisus wrote:

i probably would've been too much like a teenage girl at a jonas brothers concert to actually act reasonable if i saw peyton OR eli manning.

yeah, i probably would have been less "reasonable" if i hadn't just gotten off a 6 AM flight and been totally brain dead. "oh, that guy kind of looks like Payton Manning. oh, where am i at again? indianapolis? oh, now he is surrounded by an adoring throng. must be manning." :lol:

hugtrees

Postby hugtrees » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:21 pm

Interminable_Waiting wrote:Does anyone have any awards/Stafford loans up on the MyAccess site???

just got off the phone w/ fin. aid re: myaccess site. in case you are wondering, if you didn't go to asw you should either wait to get your log in info in the mail, or call admissions, not fin. aid.

in other news, only people who submitted all the financial aid stuff by the march 8th preferred deadline have awards posted now. i got in march 9th, and therefore missed the deadline by a day. damnit. she said i'd probably have something by mid-next week...

Postby 02122015 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:42 pm

Last edited by 02122015 on Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jml8756

Postby jml8756 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:14 pm

starrydecisus wrote:So as a Floridian (born and raised), do any of your Northerners have advice for me as far as the cold weather goes?

Long underwear is your friend.

Also:

nax425

Postby nax425 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:27 pm

volsi wrote:I'm going to be living off campus but I think I'll be living alone. The apartment search is a little overwhelming. I have been asking some gulc alums I know, but both of them lived in luxury high rises. Doesn't help!

What I'm worried about is commute time from Dupont and enviorns. I'm thinking of getting a car. I commute a half hour to work now, but law books are heavy! I don't want to lug them on the DC metro.

yeah... but the idea of driving sounds like a total nightmare. I'm feeling you on the overwhelmed part...and the price tag. Worse than NYC. Ugh...!

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:10 pm

nax425 wrote:
volsi wrote:I'm going to be living off campus but I think I'll be living alone. The apartment search is a little overwhelming. I have been asking some gulc alums I know, but both of them lived in luxury high rises. Doesn't help!

yeah... but the idea of driving sounds like a total nightmare. I'm feeling you on the overwhelmed part...and the price tag. Worse than NYC. Ugh...!

definitely NOT worse than NYC! before i decided on georgetown, i was looking into an apartment, and it was not pretty. then when i got into gtown, i looked at dc, and it was almost a relief! :)

volsi

Postby volsi » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:51 am

Kim617 wrote:
nax425 wrote:

definitely NOT worse than NYC! before i decided on georgetown, i was looking into an apartment, and it was not pretty. then when i got into gtown, i looked at dc, and it was almost a relief! :)

Yep. DC is cheapies compared to NYC. Right now I am living in a "bargain" apartment (about 700 below market). It's 700 square feet, two bedrooms. The tiles in the bathroom are caving in, there is a slight hole in our kitchen floor (covered by a table), we have enough hot water for about 10 minutes of shower time, and the landlady comes up to scream at us randomly. It's 1500 a month and most of my friends are paying more for situations that are worse. I am 2 blocks from the train, though.

I'd be happy with counter space and a dishwasher, at this rate.

Postby 02122015 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:20 am

Last edited by 02122015 on Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

chutzpah

Postby chutzpah » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:03 am

Haha! I pay $1395/mo for a large studio in between foggy bottom and dupont. Soak that up for a bit. :shock:

I will say though, that my boyfriend lives in a one bedroom a few blocks north of me and pays under 1,000/mo but it was passed down through a friend and his landlord lives in Indiana and probably doesnt know what she could be charging.

My first year in the area I lived in the Meridian in the Courthouse section of Arlington, where everyone seems to live at some point in their DC life. My roommate and I split a 1 br with a "sunroom", which I made my bedroom, and I think we payed 800something each. There is a Meridian at Gallery Place too and I think a lot of Georgetown Law students live there. It feels very much like a dorm. The benefit of the Meridian and the other buildings like it is that they always have a lot of units and although their rents are inflated its easier to get a place. 555 Mass is a popular one too.

Revisionist

Postby Revisionist » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:10 am

I'm in Iowa and I'm paying $200/month for a room in a four-bedroom house with a backyard. I'll be living in Gewirz the first year so it will be easier to ignore how much I'm paying, but the year after that it's going to be a shock when I write out my rent check each month.

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:50 am

Revisionist wrote:I'm in Iowa and I'm paying $200/month for a room in a four-bedroom house with a backyard.

OMG!!!!!! That's crazy! A friend of mine pays almost $1500 a month for her bedroom in a two bedroom apartment in Manhattan. So between the two of them it's $3000 for a not-so-big two bedroom with a kitchen the size of my walk-in closet.

Interminable_Waiting

Postby Interminable_Waiting » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:52 am

I pay about 1200 for a two bedroom in Vermont. I'm guessing that will go up up up.

nax425

Postby nax425 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:57 am

volsi wrote:
Kim617 wrote:
nax425 wrote:

Yep. DC is cheapies compared to NYC. Right now I am living in a "bargain" apartment (about 700 below market). It's 700 square feet, two bedrooms. The tiles in the bathroom are caving in, there is a slight hole in our kitchen floor (covered by a table), we have enough hot water for about 10 minutes of shower time, and the landlady comes up to scream at us randomly. It's 1500 a month and most of my friends are paying more for situations that are worse. I am 2 blocks from the train, though.

OK I must be looking at the wronge places... :? lol. I guess I was also figuring I'd be living with a friend in NYC, thus allowing us to get a 1 bedroom and split it into two...for cheaper. Right now, these studios I am finding in DC are like...outrageous amounts...but probably nicer than anything in NYC for the same money?

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:02 pm

nax425 wrote:
volsi wrote:
Kim617 wrote:
nax425 wrote:yeah... but the idea of driving sounds like a total nightmare. I'm feeling you on the overwhelmed part...and the price tag. Worse than NYC. Ugh...!

OK I must be looking at the wronge places... :? lol. I guess I was also figuring I'd be living with a friend in NYC, thus allowing us to get a 1 bedroom and split it into two...for cheaper. Right now, these studios I am finding in DC are like...outrageous amounts...but probably nicer than anything in NYC for the same money?

definitely. also, like dc, nyc varies so much by neighborhood. washington heights is going to be tons cheaper than murray hill, or something along those lines. i'm glad i'm dorming, i don't want to deal with apartment hunting without actually being in the city.

nax425

Postby nax425 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:39 pm

Kim617 wrote:
nax425 wrote:
volsi wrote:
Kim617 wrote:

definitely. also, like dc, nyc varies so much by neighborhood. washington heights is going to be tons cheaper than murray hill, or something along those lines. i'm glad i'm dorming, i don't want to deal with apartment hunting without actually being in the city.

4 real... it's going to require a bunch of up-front work and then maybe a trip in June to sign a lease/look over the options. Hopefully the off-campus housing peeps at GULC are helpful. I haven't looked much into their services yet, but when things get closer to a decision time, I'll be calling them up. Trying to get my finaid stuff in order, first! Wondering if I have much of a chance at grants, but I'll be filling out the Need Access anyway. If anyone else has any luck - do share!

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:26 pm

I had all my financial aid stuff in before the march 8th deadline and I got my financial aid award in the mail today. I got the dean's tuition grant so that helps a lot. Good luck everyone!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”