GULC c/o 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
Unitas

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby Unitas » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:08 pm

nowinGA wrote:
Unitas wrote:
MSPeast wrote:I figure I'll also go for new books to the extent the student budget allows. I think it's like $525 per semester.

And just one more week until I'm done with my job! Being a lame-duck at work doesn't do much for motivation and I just want to get out of there!

I like getting new books. I try and keep them all.

+1

And I think in pretty much every single law school primer I have read it says you should never, ever get used books. You need to mark it up yourself and know that you know what YOU know.

One of my friends who is a lawyer at a big fancy firms just gave me the tip to keep my law books...apparently he sold all of his and now constantly wishes he had them for reference in his office. Many other lawyer friends chimed in and said to also keep all hornbooks...that they use those in their offices even more often.

For what that's worth!

Saving 300 dollars or a little more out of 150,000 in cost is not worth anything. Well it is worth .2% or so.

The cost is especially worth it if you consider the benefit of even a small chance of getting better grades.

johndhi

Postby johndhi » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:45 pm

volsi wrote:I hate when books are written in, so I was going to go for new ones.

Also; for anyone still looking for DC housing, --LinkRemoved-- sounds like a great place with like minded people. :twisted:

Wow, huge fan of this post, haha. Eek, that apartment posting is near where I'm going to live, too.

Okay, so they told me I'm off the Section 3 waitlist. Now I'm not so sure I want it anymore. Should I join Section 3 or stay in Section 2? Any arguments either way?

Postby 02122015 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:04 pm

johndhi wrote:
volsi wrote:I hate when books are written in, so I was going to go for new ones.

Also; for anyone still looking for DC housing, --LinkRemoved-- sounds like a great place with like minded people. :twisted:

Wow, huge fan of this post, haha. Eek, that apartment posting is near where I'm going to live, too.

Okay, so they told me I'm off the Section 3 waitlist. Now I'm not so sure I want it anymore. Should I join Section 3 or stay in Section 2? Any arguments either way?

I know there are some people who really wanted section 3 and didn't get it. If you're not sure I'd stay in 2.

wackadoodle

Postby wackadoodle » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:10 pm

volsi wrote:Wow, 100 pages guys. :)

Walked from my apt to campus today - 30 minutes on the dot. I tried to get into the gym but they will not let us use the facilities without a GoCard. :(
I also met Mike Fazio, the security guard some of you met earlier. He was great. Remembers everyone's name.

I also visited the bookstore. Most of our books are already there, in shiny intimidating shrink-wrap.

So I think I missed something.. Where did we get book lists? Are they different for each section?

volsi

Postby volsi » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:23 pm

yes and yes.
http://www.bkstr.com/webapp/wcs/stores/ ... ogId=10001

you put in your class and section (found on your schedule) and it tells you what your books are.

starrydecisus

Postby starrydecisus » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:18 am

FINISHED AT MY JOB TODAY! =)

Postby 02122015 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:23 am

starrydecisus wrote:FINISHED AT MY JOB TODAY! =)

Congrats, I have five more days. Although I found out that next Thursday, we get out at 10:30 in the morning to go bowling until 2:30, and then we can go home from there. So really more like 4 days and 3 hours of work left. I'm pretty excited. I'm just starting to gather up my things for preliminary packing.

starrydecisus

Postby starrydecisus » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:23 am

MSPeast wrote:

Congrats, I have five more days. Although I found out that next Thursday, we get out at 10:30 in the morning to go bowling until 2:30, and then we can go home from there. So really more like 4 days and 3 hours of work left. I'm pretty excited. I'm just starting to gather up my things for preliminary packing.

Thanks! And you're so close to being finished! That's nice you'll have a fun last day of work.

I hear ya on this preliminary packing. I just have a pile of some stuff that I know is going with me, but it's not organized or packed at all.

Postby 02122015 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:08 am

starrydecisus wrote:
MSPeast wrote:

Thanks! And you're so close to being finished! That's nice you'll have a fun last day of work.

I hear ya on this preliminary packing. I just have a pile of some stuff that I know is going with me, but it's not organized or packed at all.

Well, it's my 2nd-to-last day that's fun. My last day is gonna be a bunch of transition work/out-processing/etc.

So far my packing situation is too much stuff already, and that's before I add in things that I plan on using/wearing in the next 12 days! I'm definitely going to have to ship some of it.

DanInALionsDen

Postby DanInALionsDen » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:12 am

So, am I the only one who can't afford to buy these books until I get my refund from student accounting? I emailed them asking when that refund would be dispersed and received an email back asking me for my GoCard number so my account could be looked at specifically. I responded with the number and have heard nothing back in days.

dk8

Postby dk8 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:38 am

DanInALionsDen wrote:So, am I the only one who can't afford to buy these books until I get my refund from student accounting? I emailed them asking when that refund would be dispersed and received an email back asking me for my GoCard number so my account could be looked at specifically. I responded with the number and have heard nothing back in days.

I'm not buying these until the loans get dispersed.

Postby 02122015 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:04 am

dk8 wrote:
DanInALionsDen wrote:So, am I the only one who can't afford to buy these books until I get my refund from student accounting? I emailed them asking when that refund would be dispersed and received an email back asking me for my GoCard number so my account could be looked at specifically. I responded with the number and have heard nothing back in days.

I'm not buying these until the loans get dispersed.

I'm gonna just throw them on my credit card and then pay that off when loans come in.

Topher

Postby Topher » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:08 am

volsi wrote:I also visited the bookstore. Most of our books are already there, in shiny intimidating shrink-wrap.

Interesting, I tried to order some books from there, and got a note saying they were backordered.

nowinGA

Postby nowinGA » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:11 am

Note that we do have assignments before classes start. They will be listed here: http://www.law.georgetown.edu/faculty/assignments/

I think they have been clear in all of the materials that loans may not be dispersed before classes start...so, just something to keep in mind.

dk8

Postby dk8 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:50 pm

nowinGA wrote:Note that we do have assignments before classes start. They will be listed here: http://www.law.georgetown.edu/faculty/assignments/

I think they have been clear in all of the materials that loans may not be dispersed before classes start...so, just something to keep in mind.

Thanks for that link. Doesn't look like any of my professors are on there.

nowinGA

Postby nowinGA » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:03 pm

dk8 wrote:
nowinGA wrote:Note that we do have assignments before classes start. They will be listed here: http://www.law.georgetown.edu/faculty/assignments/

I've been told it will be closer to orientation week, or during, that they will be up there...and also that all sections will have assignments, or at least they have in the past.

beef wellington

Postby beef wellington » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:06 pm

Anybody know the best way to ship gigantic boxes? I've heard Greyhound is a good choice.

volsi

Postby volsi » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:22 pm

dk8 wrote:

Personally, I was really glad to see my Tax Planning for Real Estate Transactions course on there. So excited for that one... How did I take it as a 1L? Magic.

starrydecisus

Postby starrydecisus » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:48 pm

volsi wrote:
dk8 wrote:

Personally, I was really glad to see my Tax Planning for Real Estate Transactions course on there. So excited for that one... How did I take it as a 1L? Magic.

Personally, I'm more excited for Executive Compensation: Equity and Cash-Based Incentives course.... ;)

like the new pic, Volsi!!

dk8

Postby dk8 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:05 pm

nowinGA wrote:
dk8 wrote:

I've been told it will be closer to orientation week, or during, that they will be up there...and also that all sections will have assignments, or at least they have in the past.

shit

also, i'm beginning to realize i know nothing about school while you guys are up on everything

volsi

Postby volsi » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:09 pm

Ms. Woods, could you summarize the State of Indiana V. Hearn from your reading?

Postby 02122015 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:14 pm

dk8 wrote:
nowinGA wrote:
dk8 wrote:

shit

also, i'm beginning to realize i know nothing about school while you guys are up on everything

same

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:22 pm

volsi wrote:Ms. Woods, could you summarize the State of Indiana V. Hearn from your reading?

This is going to be me day 1. It's bad enough we had the undergrad major (though I never took history of polka dots, unfortunately), but I tend to be... ditzy. Can't wait! :D

If someone never mentioned that we had assignments, I would've never known. I need to get my shit together.

nowinGA

Postby nowinGA » Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:13 pm

Kim617 wrote:
volsi wrote:Ms. Woods, could you summarize the State of Indiana V. Hearn from your reading?

This is going to be me day 1. It's bad enough we had the undergrad major (though I never took history of polka dots, unfortunately), but I tend to be... ditzy. Can't wait! :D

If someone never mentioned that we had assignments, I would've never known. I need to get my shit together.

If it makes you feel better, I found out from Heather...and she said she never would have known last year if it was not for the facebook group her section set up before school started. (and I was a music major for undergrad, MA, and PhD...so I am right there with ya, Ms. Woods!)...We all got accepted because we deserve to be there and are smart...there will just be a bit of adjustment time!

Topher

Postby Topher » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:42 am

Kim617 wrote:

If it had not come on tv today, I would never has realized this was a reference to Legally Blonde...

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”