GULC c/o 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
Kim617

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby Kim617 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:49 pm

gilchristh wrote:
Burberry by Burberry wrote:Does anyone know if the exam software at GULC is Mac compatible?

Also, can anyone recommend OmniOutliner 3 or Circus Ponies Notebook? I've been using OneNote, but I really don't want to use Windows anymore.

You'll spend probably 70% of your life in Microsoft Word next year. Almost every single person in our section used Word's "Notebook View" for notes (works like a charm) and we all use Word for exams, too. Save the money you'd spend on other problems and check out the Notebook view for in-class notes. It's really pretty great. I would definitely recommend you get the full edition of Office (and not the less expensive Student and Teacher edition) because the S&T edition lacks the "Table of Authorities" option that'll really make life easier at brief-writing time (which you'll need PLENTY in the future).

this is good to know. i heard some people were using onenote, but you use word? also, where is "notebook view"? thanks!

Torvon

Postby Torvon » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:40 am

Kim617 wrote:
gilchristh wrote:
Burberry by Burberry wrote:Does anyone know if the exam software at GULC is Mac compatible?

Also, can anyone recommend OmniOutliner 3 or Circus Ponies Notebook? I've been using OneNote, but I really don't want to use Windows anymore.

You'll spend probably 70% of your life in Microsoft Word next year. Almost every single person in our section used Word's "Notebook View" for notes (works like a charm) and we all use Word for exams, too. Save the money you'd spend on other problems and check out the Notebook view for in-class notes. It's really pretty great. I would definitely recommend you get the full edition of Office (and not the less expensive Student and Teacher edition) because the S&T edition lacks the "Table of Authorities" option that'll really make life easier at brief-writing time (which you'll need PLENTY in the future).

this is good to know. i heard some people were using onenote, but you use word? also, where is "notebook view"? thanks!

It's a mac only feature, doesn't work on the windows version. On mac I think it's view > notebook layout.

Sequoia90

Postby Sequoia90 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:57 am

Sorry if this has been asked/answered already, but on the Gerwitz layout pictures they show a chair, a table and two more chairs, but none of that is listed in the furniture lists.

Does anyone know what furniture is actually in there?

And what the hell is the deal with the enormous entryway for single efficiencies?

--ImageRemoved--

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:58 am

Torvon wrote:
Kim617 wrote:
gilchristh wrote:

It's a mac only feature, doesn't work on the windows version. On mac I think it's view > notebook layout.

ohhhhhhh okay, thanks. no wonder i couldn't find it.

gilchristh

Postby gilchristh » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:44 am

Kim617 wrote:
Torvon wrote:
Kim617 wrote:
gilchristh wrote:You'll spend probably 70% of your life in Microsoft Word next year. Almost every single person in our section used Word's "Notebook View" for notes (works like a charm) and we all use Word for exams, too. Save the money you'd spend on other problems and check out the Notebook view for in-class notes. It's really pretty great. I would definitely recommend you get the full edition of Office (and not the less expensive Student and Teacher edition) because the S&T edition lacks the "Table of Authorities" option that'll really make life easier at brief-writing time (which you'll need PLENTY in the future).

ohhhhhhh okay, thanks. no wonder i couldn't find it.

The new versions of Office for PC should have it, too. My best friend at school is a PC person and she used it also. I'll see if I can get more info on how to make it work and/or what editions of Office include the feature.

Torvon

Postby Torvon » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:26 am

Kim617 wrote:
volsi wrote:
I'm also planning on stopping by the bookstore to see if our books have arrived already. Some of my books are available on amazon and some aren't.

Where did you find out which books we need? Is this a dumb question? Sometimes I miss things that are right in front of me :D

You can look up the books that are required using the Georgetown Bookstore. You'll only be able to find a couple books though, because the small section classes require different texts depending on which small section you end up in.

On a different note:

Anyone have any idea how valuable something like the "new" Public Interest Fellows program would be for someone who is looking to get a job working for the government?

Postby 02122015 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:32 am

Sequoia90 wrote:Sorry if this has been asked/answered already, but on the Gerwitz layout pictures they show a chair, a table and two more chairs, but none of that is listed in the furniture lists.

And what the hell is the deal with the enormous entryway for single efficiencies?

--ImageRemoved--

The stuff shown on the floor plan is included. You only need to buy small items, sheets, dishes, etc. The only bigger items that you need (not counting computers) for your room are the TV, microwave, and desk/floor lamps. The tables, desk, and chairs are included.

As for the entryway, this was the type of room I stayed in over ASW and it was a convenient area to use for shoes, recycling bags, etc. I think it just exists to tuck most of the room behind a different type of room.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:40 am

MSPeast wrote:
Sequoia90 wrote:Sorry if this has been asked/answered already, but on the Gerwitz layout pictures they show a chair, a table and two more chairs, but none of that is listed in the furniture lists.

--ImageRemoved--

The stuff shown on the floor plan is included. You only need to buy small items, sheets, dishes, etc. The only bigger items that you need (not counting computers) for your room are the TV, microwave, and desk/floor lamps. The tables, desk, and chairs are included.

As for the entryway, this was the type of room I stayed in over ASW and it was a convenient area to use for shoes, recycling bags, etc. I think it just exists to tuck most of the room behind a different type of room.

I am in a single also and visited it a few weeks ago. The entryway in mine had the table and chair in it (It only had one chair, hoping I get two).

I doubt very seriously you'd need a desk or floor lamp in the single. I am certain you wouldn't need a floor lamp because it already comes with one. The desk also has lighting so I doubt you'd need a lamp there. Only place you may want a desk lamp is beside your bed on the shelf (a small bookshelf sits at the head of the bed). I won't be getting one; I'd end up knocking it off constantly.

iamtaw wrote:do you think a router would work in the dorms? i've never set up a router in my life. shouldn't be any different from any other router setup right?

I thought about a router, but I am not sure if I am going to get one. The dorms have wireless and the only reason to have one would be to have multiple hard connections.

nowinGA

Postby nowinGA » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:30 am

Kim617 wrote:
gilchristh wrote:

So why would we not use OneNote? I have it for the first time...just updated from Office 2003 to 2010...quite a jump, but a good one! I am enjoying it. OneNote seems great...being able to write anywhere on the page, make diagrams, etc. To be honest, I haven't yet let go of the fact that I wont be writing notes with my pen...but I am just curious as to why Word would be preferred over OneNote...or if I am misreading that advice.

hugtrees

Postby hugtrees » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:22 am

gilchristh wrote:

Otherwise, my entire life pretty much has an Apple icon on it, and it was really about a 50/50 Mac/PC split in our section. Completely seamless integration all around... in fact, we can all share power cords--which happened quite often when people forgot theirs, etc.--while PC folks very rarely can, so you're more than good. I actually have an extra PC laptop, and the only time it was used last year was when I loaned it to other people when they had problems with their laptops!

fyi, mac folks can get microsoft office 2008 for mac business edition for $119 using microsoft's student promotion thing by entering your georgetown email here: http://buy.officeformac.com/store/msmacus2/home?resid=vwnkDAoBAlgAACYvbEIAAAAZ&rests=1280934803215
which i'm pretty sure is cheaper than at the apple store and also at the georgetown law software store site.

and then apparently when they upgrade to the 2011 version in october you can get the upgrade for free (if you purchased 2008 between aug. 1 and nov. 30) - http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2010/aug10/08-02msmacofficepr.mspx

so i guess that's what i'll be doing. i actually really like pages (mac's word processing program) but i don't want to fuck around with having my exams possibly not in the right format.

WhatUpKells

Postby WhatUpKells » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:58 am

starrydecisus wrote:
WhatUpKells wrote:Once again, sorry for the kinda dumb question, but what's the format for our default e-mail password? I can't get into my undergrad e-mail anymore, and that's where they sent the instructions...

Hey! Here ya go. And it's not a dumb question.

"Your default Law Center password begins with an upper-case letter "A", followed by the last 6 digits of your 9-digit GOCard number."

Thanks, starry. That doesn't seem to work, unfortunately... guess I'll have to call in or something...

starrydecisus

Postby starrydecisus » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:41 pm

Anyone planning to sign up to be a student ambassador?
(Just got the email)

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:45 pm

starrydecisus wrote:Anyone planning to sign up to be a student ambassador?
(Just got the email)

I posted about it and no one responded so I deleted my post. Heh. I don't know yet. I know nothing about the area or the school really, so I don't think I'd make a good ambassador. The PI program looks interesting though.

nowinGA

Postby nowinGA » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:50 pm

(Just got the email)

I probably will. I wonder why they gave us that fancy Georgetown email address, yet keep using our old ones for these mailings...hmm....

gilchristh

Postby gilchristh » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:02 pm

(Just got the email)

Unitas wrote:I posted about it and no one responded so I deleted my post. Heh. I don't know yet. I know nothing about the area or the school really, so I don't think I'd make a good ambassador. The PI program looks interesting though.

nowinGA wrote:I probably will. I wonder why they gave us that fancy Georgetown email address, yet keep using our old ones for these mailings...hmm....

I was a Student Ambassador (it's really a program targeted at 1Ls, though I'll continue to help with stuff) and I really enjoyed it. Patrice (Andy Cornblatt's assistant, the primary coordinator for Student Ambassadors) is awesome and Andy Cornblatt really is as great a guy as he seems. I was actually one of the handful of Student Ambassadors on the planning committee (we basically serve as co-chairs for one of a few particular events that the Admissions office puts together throughout the year) and even that was a very minor time commitment. If you're thinking about it, I'm sure you'll really enjoy it.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:20 pm

I just got my rejection from Harvards waitlist. I am now 100% certain I will be at Georgetown. I am actually relieved my cycle is finally over and I am happy.

nowinGA

Postby nowinGA » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:24 pm

Unitas wrote:I just got my rejection from Harvards waitlist. I am now 100% certain I will be at Georgetown. I am actually relieved my cycle is finally over and I am happy.

Well we are glad to have you. Congrats on (finally!) being done with your cycle. I remember that being a good day.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:29 pm

nowinGA wrote:
Unitas wrote:I just got my rejection from Harvards waitlist. I am now 100% certain I will be at Georgetown. I am actually relieved my cycle is finally over and I am happy.

Well we are glad to have you. Congrats on (finally!) being done with your cycle. I remember that being a good day.

Thanks, now I can truly commit to attending. Odd, that I am not sad - I accepted it weeks/months ago. The entire rejection was about transferring next year. Friday will be my constant shopping day (tax free weekend for the win) and I can sign up for jobs/work/service things now.

(It would also appear I no longer need to use apostrophes.)

lurker53

Postby lurker53 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:21 pm

Does anyone know if there's a bandwidth limit for internet use in Gewirz? I haven't been able to find anything on it.

gilchristh

Postby gilchristh » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:35 pm

nowinGA wrote:So why would we not use OneNote? I have it for the first time...just updated from Office 2003 to 2010...quite a jump, but a good one! I am enjoying it. OneNote seems great...being able to write anywhere on the page, make diagrams, etc. To be honest, I haven't yet let go of the fact that I wont be writing notes with my pen...but I am just curious as to why Word would be preferred over OneNote...or if I am misreading that advice.

No reason to *not* use OneNote. I'm just not familiar with it... but upon review, it might very well be the case that I was wrong and that what my friend used was, in fact, OneNote and not Word's Notebook view. Soooo, um... yeah, ignore what I said before unless I find some evidence to the contrary (which I do not have at the moment). Sorry to have (potentially) confused anyone.

volsi

Postby volsi » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:08 am

Last edited by volsi on Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

starrydecisus

Postby starrydecisus » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:13 pm

TOMORROW'S MY LAST DAY OF WORK.

I'm so happy.

softrevolution

Postby softrevolution » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:17 pm

volsi wrote:Yesterday I finally send my photo to the GoCard people. Filename is Firstname Lastname.jpg. Get an email back from them today: Volsi, please send your photo to us in JPG or BMP format.

But I did...

Do we really have to use a passport photo? I always manage to look like I'm 12 and/or stunned. Can't we just crop a nice picture of us that doesn't have a distracting background?

nowinGA

Postby nowinGA » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:26 pm

softrevolution wrote:
volsi wrote:Yesterday I finally send my photo to the GoCard people. Filename is Firstname Lastname.jpg. Get an email back from them today: Volsi, please send your photo to us in JPG or BMP format.

But I did...

Do we really have to use a passport photo? I always manage to look like I'm 12 and/or stunned. Can't we just crop a nice picture of us that doesn't have a distracting background?

In no place (at least that I received) did it say you have to use a passport photo...though I do think it used that terminology to refer to the size of the photo if you were not submitting electronically.

Burberry by Burberry

Postby Burberry by Burberry » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:31 pm

softrevolution wrote:

But I did...

This. At least, I believe we can. Look at the Facebook (not facebook.com) on the GULC website to see what is acceptable. A few people used what appears to be their facebook.com profile picture.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”