GULC c/o 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
beef wellington

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby beef wellington » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:33 am

Burberry by Burberry wrote:Also, a GULC financial aid counselor told me at ASW that the housing budget can be increased by as much as 50% to $1,725/month.

I got a little more info on this policy. If you're within 8 blocks of the school they subtract your transportation budget from the $1725, so the most you can get in that case would be $1530. Also they're going to be looking at how many people are on the lease and whether or not utilities are included. So if my SO and I want to get a $1700 1 bedroom, I'm guessing they won't give me any adjustment because they'll be expecting me to only be paying $850.

Burberry by Burberry

Postby Burberry by Burberry » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:00 am

beef wellington wrote:
Burberry by Burberry wrote:Also, a GULC financial aid counselor told me at ASW that the housing budget can be increased by as much as 50% to $1,725/month.

I got a little more info on this policy. If you're within 8 blocks of the school they subtract your transportation budget from the $1725, so the most you can get in that case would be $1530. Also they're going to be looking at how many people are on the lease and whether or not utilities are included. So if my SO and I want to get a $1700 1 bedroom, I'm guessing they won't give me any adjustment because they'll be expecting me to only be paying $850.

That's a lame policy for them to have. Sorry about the bad info, y'all.

beef wellington

Postby beef wellington » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:13 am

Burberry by Burberry wrote:
beef wellington wrote:

That's a lame policy for them to have. Sorry about the bad info, y'all.

It wasn't bad info, you just said they can increase it that much. I was just expanding on it :)

Sequoia90

Postby Sequoia90 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:46 am

starrydecisus wrote:
Kim617 wrote:
starrydecisus wrote:So the great GULC TLS Get Together.

Monday Aug. 23.

Rocket Bar in China Town.

8 p.m.?

Sounds good. I don't know where that is but maybe some of us can meet up beforehand or something.

Kim, you're a Gewirzian right :) We can meet in the lobby or something and go over together!

Anyone on 5th floor? (future neighbors)

starrydecisus

Postby starrydecisus » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:48 am

lol TLS get-together: guess the username drinking game. :wink:

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:53 am

MSPeast wrote:
Kim617 wrote:Question about Gewirz-- is there cable connection in the bedrooms and the common room? Like, a total of 3 tvs can have cable? Or is it just in each bedroom?

Hmm. I would at least presume that the common area would have a cable connection. I guess I'm wondering whether the bedrooms have cable connections if there is a common room.

Well, I was thinking that it would be unfair, since we're paying more, to only have one cable connection, when the triples have three connections and they're paying significantly less.

starrydecisus

Postby starrydecisus » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:16 pm

Kim617 wrote:
MSPeast wrote:
Kim617 wrote:Question about Gewirz-- is there cable connection in the bedrooms and the common room? Like, a total of 3 tvs can have cable? Or is it just in each bedroom?

Hmm. I would at least presume that the common area would have a cable connection. I guess I'm wondering whether the bedrooms have cable connections if there is a common room.

Well, I was thinking that it would be unfair, since we're paying more, to only have one cable connection, when the triples have three connections and they're paying significantly less.

That's what I would tend to think too.

stace83

Postby stace83 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:26 pm

Torvon wrote:So anyone have any idea when they will make the budget increase request form available? I want to choose the +spouse option for insurance so I'm wondering when I could expect the increase in loan money. Will it be before it disburses?

I called and asked about increasing the loan to cover health insurance for my spouse a few weeks ago. They said that we'll request the increase during orientation but that there's no guarantee they'll approve it. They said you'll have to explain your circumstances, such as spouse being unemployed. So if we do get the increase I doubt it will come at the same time as
the rest of the loan money. Also, not sure what health insurance your spouse has, but we are buying private health insurance right now and I'm not going to cancel his plan until I know for sure that I can get the loan increase. Hope that helps!

softrevolution

Postby softrevolution » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:11 pm

So what tours/service projects did everyone sign up for?

Also, does anyone know if the service projects count toward the 75 hour pro bono pledge?

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:58 pm

softrevolution wrote:So what tours/service projects did everyone sign up for?

Also, does anyone know if the service projects count toward the 75 hour pro bono pledge?

I signed up for the DC Central Kitchen and the tour of the Newseum.

Postby 02122015 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:07 pm

Kim617 wrote:
softrevolution wrote:So what tours/service projects did everyone sign up for?

I signed up for the DC Central Kitchen and the tour of the Newseum.

I signed up for the Anacostia River clean-up and no tours (going to talks).

starrydecisus

Postby starrydecisus » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:26 pm

I signed up for the Section 2 We are Family service project, and the Domestic Violence tour.

ss1342

Postby ss1342 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:29 pm

I signed up for the National Arboretum service project and the Capitol hill tour.

starrydecisus

Postby starrydecisus » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:50 pm

Is anyone planning to go see Twelfth Night during Orientation week? I think it's a good choice for that week, given the history of the play and law students = )

empirestateofmind

Postby empirestateofmind » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:07 pm

I signed up for the capitol hill walking tour and the we are family service project for section 1.

softrevolution

Postby softrevolution » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:43 pm

I'm signed up for the Food Bank project and also the Newseum tour. I really want to go to a talk at 11 so I figured I'd be able to make a good hour and then sneak off for the tour. I do want to see Twelfth Night too but couldn't resist saving $18 for admission to the Newseum. =)

starrydecisus

Postby starrydecisus » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:45 pm

softrevolution wrote:I'm signed up for the Food Bank project and also the Newseum tour. I really want to go to a talk at 11 so I figured I'd be able to make a good hour and then sneak off for the tour. I do want to see Twelfth Night too but couldn't resist saving $18 for admission to the Newseum. =)

You can still go see Twelfth Night for free without doing the Shakespeare Tour! The tour just gives you better seating. =)

softrevolution

Postby softrevolution » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:52 pm

starrydecisus wrote:You can still go see Twelfth Night for free without doing the Shakespeare Tour! The tour just gives you better seating. =)

Ooh, sounds like a plan! We can discuss during our Rocket Bar meetup.

starrydecisus

Postby starrydecisus » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:24 pm

softrevolution wrote:
starrydecisus wrote:You can still go see Twelfth Night for free without doing the Shakespeare Tour! The tour just gives you better seating. =)

Ooh, sounds like a plan! We can discuss during our Rocket Bar meetup.

Yes! Here's more information:
http://www.shakespearetheatre.org/about/ffa/index.aspx#

Burberry by Burberry

Postby Burberry by Burberry » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:57 pm

I signed up for the Capital Area Food Bank (section 1) service project and the C&O Canal tour.

I'm down with a GULC/TLS Twelth Night meet-up. I love theatre.

gilchristh

Postby gilchristh » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:18 pm

MSPeast wrote:So, it's August now. We have classes this month.

Hahahaha... wanna hear something that really sucks? I have my MBA orientation starting NEXT MONDAY, then orientation stuff lasts basically all throughout August, every weekday, until classes start at the B-school on August 30th. I have been frantically trying to tie together a million huge loose ends. It actually kind of made me nostalgic for 1L Orientation, only there's no way I'd ever trade MBA Orientation for 1L Orientation if it were to mean that I had to be a 1L again.

I don't intend to scare any of you, but just know that one of the five happiest days of your lives will likely be, in reverse order:
5) Your wedding day (hypothetically);
4) the day you have your first child (also hypothetically);
3) the day you finish your last 1L final;
2) the day you finish your last law school final ever; and
1) the day you finish taking the bar.

HTH.

gilchristh

Postby gilchristh » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:24 pm

I just chatted with a friend who lived in Gewirz. They had their TV (and connection) in the living area, and he's pretty sure at least some of the bedrooms did not have connections (he doesn't remember 100%) because they were talking about getting a splitter (little three way T-shaped thingamajig) and running long cables into the bedrooms. They never did it, but it can be done.

gilchristh

Postby gilchristh » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:53 pm

apper123 wrote:
gilchristh wrote:
apper123 wrote:can i, the awkward 2L transfer-in, come too? :-P

I'll be teaching an LSAT class online from 7-9:30-ish, but I can meet up with you all when I'm done... and I'll do my best to bring some of last year's TLS crew to introduce you to some 2Ls, apper.

That would be great, thanks!

And if you have any housing suggestions, feel free to hit me with em'.

Apparently the rental market in DC this year is more insane that it has ever been, allegedly because of the economy (and the prevalence of government and peripheral jobs in DC and the corresponding boon to local service industries). Many of my returning friends from 1L and several of my MBA classmates (who need to be in DC by next Monday) still have yet to find housing. Places are apparently going for over asking price, and many open houses yield about a dozen applications and deposits in less than 3 hours. It's nutso.

As of yesterday, I was definitely living in a group house on the eastern side of Georgetown with three other people starting the MBA program with me. As of today, that might not happen because the landlady seems to be trying to pull a fast one. Now I've been put in charge of communicating with her (with my vast expanse of 1L experience and my Property in Time knowledge from §3) about negotiating the lease terms, and that's all up in the air. There's a second place I'm looking at on the north end of Cleveland Park, which is kinda far for my preferences, but it's got a big yard and is a big house and my doggie would have room to romp.

Apper, I'd suggest that, considering your timeline, you prioritize the following:
1) price;
2) proximity via metro--try to keep it ≈0.4mi to a metro station or less and no metro transfers (if possible) to either Judiciary Square metro or Union Station (both red line and both about equidistant from campus) or even Gallery Place/Chinatown (red, yellow, and green lines, and a slightly longer walk to campus, but maybe 15 minutes at the most, probably less--I never timed it); then
3) location

As long as you're somewhere at least reasonably safe (by DC standards), if you find a place that meets the other criteria, I'd be prepared to take it... and quickly. If you're interested in some potential roommate situations, send me a PM and I'll pass your info along to friends who are looking.

gilchristh

Postby gilchristh » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:03 pm

Torvon wrote:edit: Also, anyone know how liberal they are with their increasing of budgets? I'm going to be asking for an increase in loans for rent, spouse health insurance and a laptop. Any chance they turn any of that down?

HOW DID I NOT KNOW THAT IT WAS POSSIBLE TO GET A LOAN INCREASE FOR RENT?!?!?
To those of you who posted that information, I think I might love you.

Torvon, the laptop increase is automatic, as long as it is within the parameters they allow (I think it's currently $1800 or actual cost, whichever is lower). The rest of it you all seem to have gotten!

WhatUpKells

Postby WhatUpKells » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:43 pm

Hey all,

Sorry for the kinda dumb question, but what's the format for our default e-mail password? I can't get into my undergrad e-mail anymore, and that's where they sent the instructions...

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”