GULC c/o 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
starrydecisus

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby starrydecisus » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:52 pm

iamtaw wrote:
volsi wrote:
Unitas wrote:
Anyone have any other things I should add to my list of stuff to bring??\

Without a computer I am looking at spending 600 dollars (without tax) on items to move into the dorm. That is depressing..

DVDs for me to borrow? :D I like season sets.

Think of those things as an investment. You'll probably use many of them even when you move into off-campus housing.

I'd love to trade/borrow some dvds if people are up for it. seasons in particular

season-wise i have: all of west wing. extras. band of brothers.
a bunch of movies on dvd and bluray.

good old netflix has been keeping me entertained by streaming arrested development

I have every season of Friends, almost every season of Law and Order: SVU, every season of LOST, and I'll be buying The Good Wife when it comes out in Sept =)

gilchristh

Postby gilchristh » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:18 am

Unitas wrote:Oh yeah, we can send our pictures for the facebook and for our gocards. Anyone know if we can tie our gocards into a checking account? or must we deposit money?

You have to deposit money, but you can do it online (and it hits instantly, like you can refill it from your phone while you're in line for lunch) or you can deposit cash into a GOcard machine in McDonough, Hotung, or Courtside.

Edit: I'm pretty sure you can transfer money online from a credit card or a bank account, but I'm not 100% sure right now. Like 97% sure, though.

P.S.--Just back from a couple of days in the Keys, so Imma be replying catch-up speed right now...

H
Last edited by gilchristh on Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

gilchristh

Postby gilchristh » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:22 am

volsi wrote:I have HSBC now and I love it, but there are only 2 in all of DC. I might have to open one at Wachovia as well.

As for DVDs, I have all of Daria, Arrested Development, Battlestar Galactica (seasons 1-3, I couldn't watch 4), all of Buffy, and assorted movies. I'm probably the only person any of you know who owns the House Bunny on dvd.

True story: my good friend Ben from LA was married to Anna Faris for years while she started her career. They did a movie together, then she moved in with him in LA when she first moved there. He gave up his acting career to support her while she became established in the business. She cheated on him left and right, then stole all of "their mutual friends" (his friends who he introduced her to) and threw a divorce finalization party in Fiji. He is honestly one of the cutest, sweetest people I've ever known, so she is evil incarnate in my mind. Boo Anna.

But I won't hold owning the House Bunny on DVD against you... :wink:

gilchristh

Postby gilchristh » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:25 am

vlurry wrote:Ok, I have been way behind dealing with this school stuff, but my MyAccess password isn't working right now (asked for it to be reset) but I noticed there was a billing statement due tomorrow in my Gtown inbox. Since I was relying on student loans, have they already been dispersed into MyAccount or something so I can pay it through there? The financial aid office had told me my loan money wouldn't be available until school began, so I wasn't expecting to be billed until then. Not being able to log into MyAccess, I basically am completely confused as to what's going on. Am I screwed?

Don't worry... you get an automatic deferral of payment. Your loans will show up as a credit, and you should see a pending refund balance that you will receive once the school receives your loan money. PM me if you have more questions.

gilchristh

Postby gilchristh » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:27 am

nowinGA wrote:Remember, all, that there will be local banks at Orientation signing people up on the spot. That may give you a good idea of who you want to go with...by talking with local branches, etc. I personally am a huge fan of ING Direct (100% all online banking) but you do also need to use it with another checking account in order to get it started.

Not that it won't happen, but I don't recall seeing any banks at Orientation last year. They were pretty strict on letting outside vendors solicit to students, excepting bar review stuff (Kaplan PMBR, etc.)

gilchristh

Postby gilchristh » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:28 am

nowinGA wrote:
vlurry wrote:As for banks, I grew up in the area and use Bank of America - and while they suck at a lot of things, they are probably the most common bank/ATM you'll run across in the city. And being national you might have the advantage of locations in your home town. I say this even as I'm navigating through their f*cking terrible automated customer service line for the 3rd time this morning.

+1 on all of the above about BoA...they continually make me mad, but i just can't walk away because they are EVERYWHERE! I use BoA and link it up to ING Direct...

Ditto on BofA. There's practically one on every street corner in DC. I honestly think there are probably more BofA locations and ATMs in DC than there are every other bank combined. I have mixed feelings about BofA, but the convenience factor just can't be beaten.

gilchristh

Postby gilchristh » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:30 am

volsi wrote:Anyone have a recommendation for which ISP/Cable TV provider I should use? Looks like RCN and Comcast have presence in the area. I need my Burn Notice. No DSL plz thx.

I love Comcast. OnDemand + fast, reliable internet = happy Heather. My company (an educational technology startup I co-founded a few years back) uses Comcast. We researched the fastest and most reliable internet, and Comcast was the clear winner. OnDemand is awesome :D

gilchristh

Postby gilchristh » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:39 am

apper123 wrote:Hi everyone. I'm transferring in as class of 2012. Where are you all living?

Did you join the c/o 2012 Facebook group yet? http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=34584513756&ref=ts

Rocketman11

Postby Rocketman11 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:42 am

volsi wrote:Anyone have a recommendation for which ISP/Cable TV provider I should use? Looks like RCN and Comcast have presence in the area. I need my Burn Notice. No DSL plz thx.

Comcast makes me want to killself kind of. Can't vouch for RCN though, so maybe stick with the devil you know. Is COX up there?

Of course you know how to haggle for better prices with comcast though right? Be sure to do that and you wont get robbed too badly each month.

Postby 02122015 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:18 pm

gilchristh wrote:
nowinGA wrote:
vlurry wrote:As for banks, I grew up in the area and use Bank of America - and while they suck at a lot of things, they are probably the most common bank/ATM you'll run across in the city. And being national you might have the advantage of locations in your home town. I say this even as I'm navigating through their f*cking terrible automated customer service line for the 3rd time this morning.

+1 on all of the above about BoA...they continually make me mad, but i just can't walk away because they are EVERYWHERE! I use BoA and link it up to ING Direct...

Ditto on BofA. There's practically one on every street corner in DC. I honestly think there are probably more BofA locations and ATMs in DC than there are every other bank combined. I have mixed feelings about BofA, but the convenience factor just can't be beaten.

According to City-Data.com, the 2009 bank branch (not ATM) counts for DC proper is as follows:
-Wachovia 31
-B of A 30
-PNC 29
-SunTrust 27
-Citi 15
-BB&T 12
Last edited by 02122015 on Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gilchristh

Postby gilchristh » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:27 pm

MSPeast wrote:According to City-Data.com, the 2009 bank branch (not ATM) counts for DC proper is as follows:
-Wachovia 31
-B of A 30
-PNC 29
-SunTrust 27
-Citi 15
-BB&T 12

None of these has a single branch in my home city, but Wells Fargo is #1 here, so Wachovia it is for me.

Interesting. Either BofAs have far more visible signage or that data isn't reliable. Could be either, I suppose.

volsi

Postby volsi » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:42 pm

gilchristh wrote:
volsi wrote:I have HSBC now and I love it, but there are only 2 in all of DC. I might have to open one at Wachovia as well.

As for DVDs, I have all of Daria, Arrested Development, Battlestar Galactica (seasons 1-3, I couldn't watch 4), all of Buffy, and assorted movies. I'm probably the only person any of you know who owns the House Bunny on dvd.

True story: my good friend Ben from LA was married to Anna Faris for years while she started her career. They did a movie together, then she moved in with him in LA when she first moved there. He gave up his acting career to support her while she became established in the business. She cheated on him left and right, then stole all of "their mutual friends" (his friends who he introduced her to) and threw a divorce finalization party in Fiji. He is honestly one of the cutest, sweetest people I've ever known, so she is evil incarnate in my mind. Boo Anna.

Wow, that is downright awful. I guess she got too famous too fast.
Thanks for not holding it against me. :) I still find the movie hilarious. Though it does get less funny on rewatches.

nowinGA

Postby nowinGA » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:58 pm

gilchristh wrote:
nowinGA wrote:Remember, all, that there will be local banks at Orientation signing people up on the spot. That may give you a good idea of who you want to go with...by talking with local branches, etc. I personally am a huge fan of ING Direct (100% all online banking) but you do also need to use it with another checking account in order to get it started.

Not that it won't happen, but I don't recall seeing any banks at Orientation last year. They were pretty strict on letting outside vendors solicit to students, excepting bar review stuff (Kaplan PMBR, etc.)

I am just quoting the orientation schedule where it says "Vendor Fair: Open bank accounts, etc."

gilchristh

Postby gilchristh » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:17 pm

nowinGA wrote:
gilchristh wrote:

I am just quoting the orientation schedule where it says "Vendor Fair: Open bank accounts, etc."

Hmm, nice. I probably just didn't notice last year 'cause I wasn't looking for one.

tigrelis

Postby tigrelis » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:21 pm

When can we start using our mailing addresses? I want to send stuff I buy online for the apartment to my box. It's estimated arrival is August 19, so would they accept packages then?

starrydecisus

Postby starrydecisus » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:31 pm

tigrelis wrote:When can we start using our mailing addresses? I want to send stuff I buy online for the apartment to my box. It's estimated arrival is August 19, so would they accept packages then?

It's in the housing move-in information that they sent out a few weeks ago. I don't have mine in front of me, but I believe they said not to send packages until Aug. 19. And I remember reading you need to pick up your packages within 24 hours, as well.

starrydecisus

Postby starrydecisus » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:41 pm

volsi wrote:
gilchristh wrote:

Wow, that is downright awful. I guess she got too famous too fast.
Thanks for not holding it against me. :) I still find the movie hilarious. Though it does get less funny on rewatches.

It's okay, Volsi, I totally saw it in the movie theatre. :P

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:01 pm

MSPeast wrote:
gilchristh wrote:
nowinGA wrote:

According to City-Data.com, the 2009 bank branch (not ATM) counts for DC proper is as follows:
-Wachovia 31
-B of A 30
-PNC 29
-SunTrust 27
-Citi 15
-BB&T 12

None of these has a single branch in my home city, but Wells Fargo is #1 here, so Wachovia it is for me.

Not one of these banks is anywhere near me at home. Bank of America is the single most inconvenient bank where I live, figures. I have TD and I truly do not want to switch because I love them so much. Definitely the best bank in my opinion. I think there's one a few blocks from school. I'll see if it's all that inconvenient once I'm there because I really, really don't want to switch.

Meanwhile, admissions got back to me and said that I was right about not owing anything (because of loans, aid, and scholarship) and that they would hold my place but that I should follow up with financial aid. I did that, but they still haven't gotten back to me. My student account says I owe over $25,000 which doesn't even make sense in the least. WHY THE HELL DOES THIS SHIT ALWAYS HAPPEN TO ME?!

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:09 pm

Kim617 wrote:
MSPeast wrote:
gilchristh wrote:
nowinGA wrote:+1 on all of the above about BoA...they continually make me mad, but i just can't walk away because they are EVERYWHERE! I use BoA and link it up to ING Direct...

-Wachovia 31
-B of A 30
-PNC 29
-SunTrust 27
-Citi 15
-BB&T 12

Not one of these banks is anywhere near me at home. Bank of America is the single most inconvenient bank where I live, figures. I have TD and I truly do not want to switch because I love them so much. Definitely the best bank in my opinion. I think there's one a few blocks from school. I'll see if it's all that inconvenient once I'm there because I really, really don't want to switch.

Meanwhile, admissions got back to me and said that I was right about not owing anything (because of loans, aid, and scholarship) and that they would hold my place but that I should follow up with financial aid. I did that, but they still haven't gotten back to me. My student account says I owe over $25,000 which doesn't even make sense in the least. WHY THE HELL DOES THIS SHIT ALWAYS HAPPEN TO ME?!

It happens to all of us at some points. Just relax. It doesn't really matter... Paperwork errors are quite common and one like this won't change anything or hurt you. :)

Hope all is well with everyone... Do they give us plastic containers for recyclables or should I buy them? Glass, plastic, and paper??

Anyone know how much a cup of coffee is downstairs of Gewirz??

starrydecisus

Postby starrydecisus » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:08 pm

Unitas wrote:Hope all is well with everyone... Do they give us plastic containers for recyclables or should I buy them? Glass, plastic, and paper??

They have one container for recyclables. Very small. Like a small office trashcan.

Postby 02122015 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:21 pm

starrydecisus wrote:
Unitas wrote:Hope all is well with everyone... Do they give us plastic containers for recyclables or should I buy them? Glass, plastic, and paper??

They have one container for recyclables. Very small. Like a small office trashcan.

At the same time, every floor has a drop-off. I guess it depends how often you want to wander out of your apartment to empty your recycling bin. Maybe it depends how far down the hallway your apartment is.

nowinGA

Postby nowinGA » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:57 pm

Kim617 wrote:Not one of these banks is anywhere near me at home. Bank of America is the single most inconvenient bank where I live, figures. I have TD and I truly do not want to switch because I love them so much. Definitely the best bank in my opinion. I think there's one a few blocks from school. I'll see if it's all that inconvenient once I'm there because I really, really don't want to switch.

I am telling you...keep the bank you love and open an INGDirect as well. It is all online banking but you have to hook it to an outside account...it works really well...and they have those Allpoint ATMs everywhere at like, CVS, 7-11, etc. It's free, and all of the accounts earn interest. I heart it. You can easily move fund between accounts when necessary.

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:26 pm

nowinGA wrote:
Kim617 wrote:Not one of these banks is anywhere near me at home. Bank of America is the single most inconvenient bank where I live, figures. I have TD and I truly do not want to switch because I love them so much. Definitely the best bank in my opinion. I think there's one a few blocks from school. I'll see if it's all that inconvenient once I'm there because I really, really don't want to switch.

I am telling you...keep the bank you love and open an INGDirect as well. It is all online banking but you have to hook it to an outside account...it works really well...and they have those Allpoint ATMs everywhere at like, CVS, 7-11, etc. It's free, and all of the accounts earn interest. I heart it. You can easily move fund between accounts when necessary.

Ohh, that might be the best way to go.

tigrelis

Postby tigrelis » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:46 pm

starrydecisus wrote:
tigrelis wrote:When can we start using our mailing addresses? I want to send stuff I buy online for the apartment to my box. It's estimated arrival is August 19, so would they accept packages then?

It's in the housing move-in information that they sent out a few weeks ago. I don't have mine in front of me, but I believe they said not to send packages until Aug. 19. And I remember reading you need to pick up your packages within 24 hours, as well.

Thanks -- I didn't get the housing info, they sent it to my mom instead of my summer address!

Interminable_Waiting

Postby Interminable_Waiting » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:40 am

I'm a bit late to the banking questions party, but does anyone who is familiar with the area know if there are any United Bank locations around GULC?

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”