GULC c/o 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby 02122015 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:44 pm

volsi wrote:Fine, fine, I'll change the old lady. But I'd like to share who she is. It actually IS a mugshot. http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/05 ... more1.html
I find this photo hilarious.
I've chosen a different, more visually appealing mugshot.

"Pizza Coot?"
:lol: :lol: :lol:

tacitus33

Postby tacitus33 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:43 pm

I picked up my immunization records already, and I made sure everything on the list was in the records. I was wondering about the forum that they put on the website, it's called a "screening certificate."

You can fill most of that out yourself - for Part II (signature of healthcare provider), I went to my doctor with a copy of my immunization records and he signed the form. If you need testing under the criteria in Part III it might be more complicated.

For the loans, I did up to the blue form step... and then received a letter in the mail from "Direct Loans."
I guess it's supposed to be my promissory note, i'm confused because it doesn't say at all what my total loans will be on here, or any other specific information about my loan, just info about federal loans in general... yet I'm supposed to list some references, sign and send it back.

You should have gotten a letter from GULC telling you the total amount in loans that you're eligible for...

iamtaw

Postby iamtaw » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:10 am

volsi wrote:
Unitas wrote:
Anyone have any other things I should add to my list of stuff to bring??\

Without a computer I am looking at spending 600 dollars (without tax) on items to move into the dorm. That is depressing..

DVDs for me to borrow? :D I like season sets.

Think of those things as an investment. You'll probably use many of them even when you move into off-campus housing.

I'd love to trade/borrow some dvds if people are up for it. seasons in particular

season-wise i have: all of west wing. extras. band of brothers.
a bunch of movies on dvd and bluray.

good old netflix has been keeping me entertained by streaming arrested development

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:05 am

What do you all suggest for a bank account? Does georgetown recommend one? I've always used a credit union and liked it, but will I qualify for one up there?

I want to keep a separate account for student stuff, so I can budget easier.

Burberry by Burberry

Postby Burberry by Burberry » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:11 am

Unitas wrote:What do you all suggest for a bank account? Does georgetown recommend one? I've always used a credit union and liked it, but will I qualify for one up there?

I think there's a few Wachovias near the Law Center. Also, there's something called Chevy Chase Bank (which is not the same as JP Morgan Chase).

lizs85

Postby lizs85 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:12 am

Is anyone else having trouble logging into their GULC e-mail? When I log in, it redirects me to the login for MyAccess, and I can't figure out how to access my e-mail from there. I was able to access it a few days ago, so I am pretty sure my account is working and available.

Postby 02122015 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:51 am

lizs85 wrote:Is anyone else having trouble logging into their GULC e-mail? When I log in, it redirects me to the login for MyAccess, and I can't figure out how to access my e-mail from there. I was able to access it a few days ago, so I am pretty sure my account is working and available.

It worked for me this morning. I'd check now but I'm on my phone.
Last edited by 02122015 on Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 02122015 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:53 am

Unitas wrote:What do you all suggest for a bank account? Does georgetown recommend one? I've always used a credit union and liked it, but will I qualify for one up there?

I have Wells Fargo, so I'm going to open a Wachovia account when I get there to use for day to day expenses. I'll use my WF for my surplus funds. They'll roll together once they convert the East Coast Wachovias next year.

softrevolution

Postby softrevolution » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:44 pm

Georgetown has the Hoya Federal Credit Union. There's 2 ATMs on the Law campus.

http://hoyafcu.georgetown.edu/index.html

js87

Postby js87 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:58 pm

I actually just opened a PNC bank account a few days ago. According to their website, they have an ATM in the library, and a branch in Judiciary Square. I had previously been at a local bank that only has branches in my state, so I had to switch over.

Sansei

Postby Sansei » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:17 pm

I opened up a Bank of America account a few days ago. I needed something that also had convenient branches in my city.

Sansei

Postby Sansei » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:23 pm

Sansei wrote:

I opened up a Bank of America account a few days ago. I needed something that also had convenient branches in my city.

Here's a link for more info on banks near the law center.

http://www.law.georgetown.edu/foundatio ... nt2010.pdf

volsi

Postby volsi » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:12 pm

I have HSBC now and I love it, but there are only 2 in all of DC. I might have to open one at Wachovia as well.

As for DVDs, I have all of Daria, Arrested Development, Battlestar Galactica (seasons 1-3, I couldn't watch 4), all of Buffy, and assorted movies. I'm probably the only person any of you know who owns the House Bunny on dvd.

beef wellington

Postby beef wellington » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:52 pm

softrevolution wrote:

Georgetown has the Hoya Federal Credit Union. There's 2 ATMs on the Law campus.

http://hoyafcu.georgetown.edu/index.html

That one's for Gtown faculty and staff. The one for students is here

http://www.guasfcu.com/

I opened an account there. The main drawback is there's only one branch and it's on the main campus which isn't metro accessible. If that ends up being a problem I might switch to somewhere else.

apper123

Postby apper123 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:38 pm

I may be looking for roommates in the DC area (coming in as a transfer 2L to GULC). So if anyone is living off-campus and looking to feel out a possible roommate situation, PM me.

Torvon

Postby Torvon » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:02 am

beef wellington wrote:That one's for Gtown faculty and staff. The one for students is here

I opened an account there. The main drawback is there's only one branch and it's on the main campus which isn't metro accessible. If that ends up being a problem I might switch to somewhere else.

I currently have a local credit union account and that's it so I'll need to open a new account somewhere in DC. How long did it take you to get situated with your account? I want to be able to fill out the bank information for my excess student loans asap.

vlurry

Postby vlurry » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:12 am

Ok, I have been way behind dealing with this school stuff, but my MyAccess password isn't working right now (asked for it to be reset) but I noticed there was a billing statement due tomorrow in my Gtown inbox. Since I was relying on student loans, have they already been dispersed into MyAccount or something so I can pay it through there? The financial aid office had told me my loan money wouldn't be available until school began, so I wasn't expecting to be billed until then. Not being able to log into MyAccess, I basically am completely confused as to what's going on. Am I screwed?

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:11 am

Torvon wrote:
beef wellington wrote:That one's for Gtown faculty and staff. The one for students is here

I currently have a local credit union account and that's it so I'll need to open a new account somewhere in DC. How long did it take you to get situated with your account? I want to be able to fill out the bank information for my excess student loans asap.

I think I'll use the Georgetown Credit Union. Thanks everyone for your help... I'm going to sign up for it on Monday.

Oh, about going to the main campus we have a shuttle bus that takes students back and forth (for free I believe). And the only amount I will deposit into the account is from student loans, so very doubtful I'll ever need to see them. I go into my bank about once every year now. We have really neat atms scattered around that we can deposit checks into (scans the checks and prints out a deposit slip with a copy of the check, really nice).

vlurry wrote:Ok, I have been way behind dealing with this school stuff, but my MyAccess password isn't working right now (asked for it to be reset) but I noticed there was a billing statement due tomorrow in my Gtown inbox. Since I was relying on student loans, have they already been dispersed into MyAccount or something so I can pay it through there? The financial aid office had told me my loan money wouldn't be available until school began, so I wasn't expecting to be billed until then. Not being able to log into MyAccess, I basically am completely confused as to what's going on. Am I screwed?

Not screwed. If you are using financial aid and accepted it and did everything up to this point you should have a negative balance on student accounts (they owe you money). The billing includes estimated financial aid. They won't disburse the funds until after the first week of class I believe. Federal guidelines or something.
Last edited by Unitas on Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

nowinGA

Postby nowinGA » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:14 am

vlurry wrote:Ok, I have been way behind dealing with this school stuff, but my MyAccess password isn't working right now (asked for it to be reset) but I noticed there was a billing statement due tomorrow in my Gtown inbox. Since I was relying on student loans, have they already been dispersed into MyAccount or something so I can pay it through there? The financial aid office had told me my loan money wouldn't be available until school began, so I wasn't expecting to be billed until then. Not being able to log into MyAccess, I basically am completely confused as to what's going on. Am I screwed?

If you are are relying a 100% on loans and scholarships...then you don't need to do anything. (I mean, you should figure out how to log in so you can make sure they are there and the amounts are are correct, of course, e.g. my scholarship amount was wrong and they needed to fix it)...by loans not being available until school starts, they mean any loans you are expecting to be dispersed back to you for cost of living, if you are taking any.

Remember, all, that there will be local banks at Orientation signing people up on the spot. That may give you a good idea of who you want to go with...by talking with local branches, etc. I personally am a huge fan of ING Direct (100% all online banking) but you do also need to use it with another checking account in order to get it started.

vlurry

Postby vlurry » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:06 am

nowinGA wrote:

If you are are relying a 100% on loans and scholarships...then you don't need to do anything. (I mean, you should figure out how to log in so you can make sure they are there and the amounts are are correct, of course, e.g. my scholarship amount was wrong and they needed to fix it)...by loans not being available until school starts, they mean any loans you are expecting to be dispersed back to you for cost of living, if you are taking any.

Remember, all, that there will be local banks at Orientation signing people up on the spot. That may give you a good idea of who you want to go with...by talking with local branches, etc. I personally am a huge fan of ING Direct (100% all online banking) but you do also need to use it with another checking account in order to get it started.

Thanks for that, sounds like I should be fine then for now. Almost had a heart attack there. As for banks, I grew up in the area and use Bank of America - and while they suck at a lot of things, they are probably the most common bank/ATM you'll run across in the city. And being national you might have the advantage of locations in your home town. I say this even as I'm navigating through their f*cking terrible automated customer service line for the 3rd time this morning.

nowinGA

Postby nowinGA » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:25 am

vlurry wrote:
nowinGA wrote:

Thanks for that, sounds like I should be fine then for now. Almost had a heart attack there. As for banks, I grew up in the area and use Bank of America - and while they suck at a lot of things, they are probably the most common bank/ATM you'll run across in the city. And being national you might have the advantage of locations in your home town. I say this even as I'm navigating through their f*cking terrible automated customer service line for the 3rd time this morning.

+1 on all of the above about BoA...they continually make me mad, but i just can't walk away because they are EVERYWHERE! I use BoA and link it up to ING Direct...

beef wellington

Postby beef wellington » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:46 am

Torvon wrote:

Opening the account was easy enough, took twenty minutes maybe. A couple things have taken longer. My first deposit was a personal check that took five business days to post because of its amount, although they indicated this was because of a federal policy so I guess it wouldn't be any different at another bank. And I still don't have a debit/ATM card, which takes at least ten business days to arrive. So definitely leave some money in your old account for the first couple weeks.

As for ATMs, GUASFCU is part of a pretty gigantic national network. For example, I think every 7-Eleven ATM is surcharge-free. Lots of other common businesses too.

--ImageRemoved--

nowinGA

Postby nowinGA » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:51 am

beef wellington wrote:
Torvon wrote:

Opening the account was easy enough, took twenty minutes maybe. A couple things have taken longer. My first deposit was a personal check that took five business days to post because of its amount, although they indicated this was because of a federal policy so I guess it wouldn't be any different at another bank. And I still don't have a debit/ATM card, which takes at least ten business days to arrive. So definitely leave some money in your old account for the first couple weeks.

As for ATMs, GUASFCU is part of a pretty gigantic national network. For example, I think every 7-Eleven ATM is surcharge-free. Lots of other common businesses too.

--ImageRemoved--

Yup. INGDirect uses that same Allpoint network. (And you earn interest in checking and savings accounts)...and it has a very cute website, which is important to me.

volsi

Postby volsi » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:48 pm

Anyone have a recommendation for which ISP/Cable TV provider I should use? Looks like RCN and Comcast have presence in the area. I need my Burn Notice. No DSL plz thx.

nowinGA

Postby nowinGA » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:07 pm

volsi wrote:Anyone have a recommendation for which ISP/Cable TV provider I should use? Looks like RCN and Comcast have presence in the area. I need my Burn Notice. No DSL plz thx.

I had Comcast. Comcast is, well Comcast. For the most part it was fine. I do like OnDemand...but have no experience with RCN.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”