GULC c/o 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
User avatar
volsi
Posts: 274
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:28 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby volsi » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:26 pm

gilchristh wrote:Okay, so I have a question for you guys that is totally un-GULC related (well, other than the fact that we all attend/will attend GULC). I'm writing an LSAT course and I'm working on a session on advanced propositional logic (a.k.a. formal logic, syllogisms, etc.). The first session in it covers the basics--translating, combining, contraposing, sufficient and necessary, etc.--and the most common applications of it on the LSAT. So right now I'm lost in this sea of logic... I want to be thorough without going overboard. I'm going to cover some really tough games and some really tough LR questions that use propositional logic, but in addition to the hard applications, how much theory should I go into?

So basically, I think what I'm trying to ask is:
1) What did you NOT understand about PL on the LSAT that you wish you had learned?
2) What do you feel were the most valuable complex PL concepts you learned?

I mean, you don't have to know the phrases "affirming the disjunct," "denying the conjunct," "affirming the consequent," "denying the antecedent," or the terms for a number of other fallacies and concepts to kick ass on the LSAT... but do you think that at least being exposed to the names of some of these concepts would be valuable? Or should I just keep the focus on understanding the logic of these concepts it without getting into the names of them?

I don't want to ask this in the main forum because I don't want to get a big glut of random opinions, plus I wanna keep it under wraps right now, so mum's the word, k?


I understand that the terms are confusing for most people. I personally like things like that because of how I categorize new information. When I was taking German a few years ago as an adult student, I had a lot of trouble when the instructor was simply telling us how things worked. When he finally had to go into hardcore grammar, I was happy. Everyone else groaned when they heard "separable prefix verbs" but it really helped me understand exactly what I was dealing with.
I think it really all depends on what level of categorization the learner is comfortable with.

I did not have a background in PL when I took the LSAT and I think knowing those concepts would have helped me. I do have a background in cognitive science and linguistics, which is why I like this sort of thing. I'm probably an outlier. But there are people who will appreciate the concept names.

User avatar
Rocketman11
Posts: 612
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:32 am

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby Rocketman11 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:30 pm

Split5 wrote:
Rocketman11 wrote:
Split5 wrote:Oh man, a TLS get together. Too bad in person you can't anonymously hide behind your avatar while pretending you have any basis for your opinions. What else do TLSers actually have in common? Count me out.


Holy fuck guys, we should call the whole thing off. This guy i've never heard of who thinks a bunch of people on a LAW SCHOOL forum in a thread where they are ALL MOVING TO THE SAME AREA and ATTENDING THE SAME SCHOOL have *nothing* in common is OUT?! son of a bitch, say it ain't so.

I will miss your 200 post presence, that's for sure.


Haha, you just pulled rank on a joke! I guess it's logical, though. The guy who has wasted the time it takes to write 15,000 posts would be the one to take a demeaning satire of his "hood" the hardest.

Orientation spoiler: Phelps wins.


"lolz, it was just a joke" = "oh shit i look like a dumbass when trying to be an e-thug, time to attempt to cover my ass"

User avatar
gilchristh
Posts: 219
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:06 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby gilchristh » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:04 pm

Awesome, gang... thanks for the input. You pretty much confirmed what I was leaning toward: Wikipedia link to fallacies for those who wanna get deep, a mention of the name of a few key concepts when I introduce 'em, clarification that the names don't matter (unless they help people grasp the ideas), and emphasis on/practice applying the concepts with focus on describing what's happening in layterms. Grazia! I owe everyone who chimed in a drink :D

P.S.--Law links on Wikipedia = awesomeness. Don't say I never gave you anything:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_law (hyperlinks galore, use 'em all)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Property_law (Check out the links in the little table thingy on the right side and the chart at the very bottom of the page, but be careful--some of this stuff is English law commingled with American law/general concepts).

User avatar
Unitas
Posts: 1387
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby Unitas » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:15 pm

gilchristh wrote:Awesome, gang... thanks for the input. You pretty much confirmed what I was leaning toward: Wikipedia link to fallacies for those who wanna get deep, a mention of the name of a few key concepts when I introduce 'em, clarification that the names don't matter (unless they help people grasp the ideas), and emphasis on/practice applying the concepts with focus on describing what's happening in layterms. Grazia! I owe everyone who chimed in a drink :D

P.S.--Law links on Wikipedia = awesomeness. Don't say I never gave you anything:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_law (hyperlinks galore, use 'em all)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Property_law (Check out the links in the little table thingy on the right side and the chart at the very bottom of the page, but be careful--some of this stuff is English law commingled with American law/general concepts).


I love wikipedia.

User avatar
Kim617
Posts: 784
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:36 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby Kim617 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:32 pm

volsi wrote:
Kim617 wrote:Thanks for the advice, guys. I actually just found out that they'll reimburse me, so cab it is! Meanwhile, anything I can do about missing classes? I'll be gone from Saturday-Thursday, so I'll miss four days. Is it as tragic as I think it is (I guess this question is more for Heather)?


I'll take notes for you.

You're the best! :)

User avatar
Kim617
Posts: 784
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:36 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby Kim617 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:32 pm

Unitas wrote:
gilchristh wrote:Awesome, gang... thanks for the input. You pretty much confirmed what I was leaning toward: Wikipedia link to fallacies for those who wanna get deep, a mention of the name of a few key concepts when I introduce 'em, clarification that the names don't matter (unless they help people grasp the ideas), and emphasis on/practice applying the concepts with focus on describing what's happening in layterms. Grazia! I owe everyone who chimed in a drink :D

P.S.--Law links on Wikipedia = awesomeness. Don't say I never gave you anything:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_law (hyperlinks galore, use 'em all)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Property_law (Check out the links in the little table thingy on the right side and the chart at the very bottom of the page, but be careful--some of this stuff is English law commingled with American law/general concepts).


I love wikipedia.

I have like a wikipedia addiction. I can literally be on it for hours, I need a life.

johndhi
Posts: 358
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:25 am

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby johndhi » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:35 pm

Hi all,

Just got back to California from a week trip to DC to sign a lease before going back to start school in August. We managed to sign a lease on the last day of our trip! We're sorta East of Logan Circle and North of the school - a little ghetto but really not so bad. Let us know if anyone's planning a TLS meetup in the early or middle weeks of August and I'll attend.

ps: pm or post here if you have any questions about finding housing in the area - I spent seven full days walking around the city looking at places and though it was exhausting, I learned a lot.

Split5
Posts: 168
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:49 am

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby Split5 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:29 pm

Rocketman11 wrote:
Split5 wrote:
Rocketman11 wrote:
Split5 wrote:Oh man, a TLS get together. Too bad in person you can't anonymously hide behind your avatar while pretending you have any basis for your opinions. What else do TLSers actually have in common? Count me out.


Holy fuck guys, we should call the whole thing off. This guy i've never heard of who thinks a bunch of people on a LAW SCHOOL forum in a thread where they are ALL MOVING TO THE SAME AREA and ATTENDING THE SAME SCHOOL have *nothing* in common is OUT?! son of a bitch, say it ain't so.

I will miss your 200 post presence, that's for sure.


Haha, you just pulled rank on a joke! I guess it's logical, though. The guy who has wasted the time it takes to write 15,000 posts would be the one to take a demeaning satire of his "hood" the hardest.

Orientation spoiler: Phelps wins.


"lolz, it was just a joke" = "oh shit i look like a dumbass when trying to be an e-thug, time to attempt to cover my ass"


Pasting from my inbox:

"Dear Split5,

I hear you're an e-thug, but I just have nowhere else to turn. I can't seem to get Rocketman away from his computer and those damned forums! He barely sleeps anymore. He never goes outside. Can you please save my son? I'm sending a picture to help you understand the gravity of the problem. Please hurry, before his post count reaches 16,000!

Sincerely,
Rocketman Sr."

--ImageRemoved--

I'm not sure what I can do to help, though. I already tried being "A shit stirring computer geek that...thinks he is top shit by typing in capitals [and] swearing excessively" (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=e-thug).

Wait...that doesn't describe my post...that describes...

User avatar
Rocketman11
Posts: 612
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:32 am

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby Rocketman11 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:37 pm

You put a lot of effort into that post. I'm honored, just don't turn into one of those stalker fans.

Split5
Posts: 168
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:49 am

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby Split5 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:41 pm

Rocketman11 wrote:You put a lot of effort into that post. I'm honored, just don't turn into one of those stalker fans.


Apologize to your father for me.

I have failed.

User avatar
gilchristh
Posts: 219
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:06 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby gilchristh » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:40 pm

Rocketman11 wrote:You put a lot of effort into that post. I'm honored, just don't turn into one of those stalker fans.

You know he's DVRing some CSI Miami right now, even though he doesn't know why. :wink:

User avatar
beef wellington
Posts: 882
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:05 am

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby beef wellington » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:47 pm

Help my SO and I decide where to live (or at least where to apply to live).

1 bedroom half a block from Cleveland Park metro station. Apartment is fine, nothing special, location is obviously great.

2 bedroom townhouse right by Wheaton metro. 20 minute train ride from GULC. A lot more space, cleaner, newer. I like the idea of having a separate room to study in.

02122015
Posts: 5317
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:57 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby 02122015 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:51 pm

beef wellington wrote:Help my SO and I decide where to live (or at least where to apply to live).

1 bedroom half a block from Cleveland Park metro station. Apartment is fine, nothing special, location is obviously great.

2 bedroom townhouse right by Wheaton metro. 20 minute train ride from GULC. A lot more space, cleaner, newer. I like the idea of having a separate room to study in.

Transportation is good for each of those. What is your lifestyle? Are you in your early 20s? Late 20s? Is nightlife important? Etc.

dk8
Posts: 495
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:39 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby dk8 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:53 pm

cleveland park is a really nice area

User avatar
beef wellington
Posts: 882
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:05 am

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby beef wellington » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:57 pm

MSPeast wrote:
beef wellington wrote:Help my SO and I decide where to live (or at least where to apply to live).

1 bedroom half a block from Cleveland Park metro station. Apartment is fine, nothing special, location is obviously great.

2 bedroom townhouse right by Wheaton metro. 20 minute train ride from GULC. A lot more space, cleaner, newer. I like the idea of having a separate room to study in.

Transportation is good for each of those. What is your lifestyle? Are you in your early 20s? Late 20s? Is nightlife important? Etc.

I'm an old (30). I guess nightlife isn't that important...
dk8 wrote:cleveland park is a really nice area

for realz

02122015
Posts: 5317
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:57 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby 02122015 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:59 pm

Do they cost the same?

User avatar
beef wellington
Posts: 882
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:05 am

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby beef wellington » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:01 pm

MSPeast wrote:Do they cost the same?

pretty much.

02122015
Posts: 5317
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:57 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby 02122015 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:05 pm

beef wellington wrote:
MSPeast wrote:Do they cost the same?

pretty much.

Then I'd base it more on the following:

Are you a city person or not so much?
How close do you want to be to the law center?
How much room do you need at your home to get your 1L work done?

User avatar
beef wellington
Posts: 882
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:05 am

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby beef wellington » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:13 pm

MSPeast wrote:
beef wellington wrote:
MSPeast wrote:Do they cost the same?

pretty much.

Then I'd base it more on the following:

Are you a city person or not so much?
How close do you want to be to the law center?
How much room do you need at your home to get your 1L work done?

I've never lived in a city but I think I could adapt. Besides, Cleveland Park has more of a suburban feel anyway. I guess it's basically a trade-off between an extra room and an extra twenty minutes a day commuting. I think we'll try and stay somewhat centrally located since my gf doesn't know where she'll be working yet. Thanks for the help.

Also, I'm down for a meetup anytime as I live here now. Although I won't be around next week.

User avatar
volsi
Posts: 274
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:28 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby volsi » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:36 pm

I've got my lease and everything's official. I'll be in DC on the 2nd. Can't wait.

I'd go with the more central location, Beef. Metro closes early and i'd rather be in a quicker cab situation than a longer one. More room is nice but convenience is nicer. You can also always move after the first year.

User avatar
Topher
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:43 am

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby Topher » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:42 pm

Rocketman11 wrote:You put a lot of effort into that post. I'm honored, just don't turn into one of those stalker fans.



As per previously mentioned logic, does this really mean that you and Split5 will become the best of friends?


Also, I noticed a few pages back that you were 100% committed to taking volsi out on a date....if she looks anything like Kalinda (like her icon) we are so fighting over her.


EDIT: When trying to facebook stalk my peer advisor, I found her conspicuously absent from the social networking site....does this, perhaps, mean she does not truly exist?

User avatar
volsi
Posts: 274
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:28 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby volsi » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:06 am

Topher wrote:
Rocketman11 wrote:You put a lot of effort into that post. I'm honored, just don't turn into one of those stalker fans.



As per previously mentioned logic, does this really mean that you and Split5 will become the best of friends?


Also, I noticed a few pages back that you were 100% committed to taking volsi out on a date....if she looks anything like Kalinda (like her icon) we are so fighting over her.


Problem solved.

User avatar
Topher
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:43 am

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby Topher » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:47 am

volsi wrote:
Topher wrote:
Rocketman11 wrote:You put a lot of effort into that post. I'm honored, just don't turn into one of those stalker fans.



As per previously mentioned logic, does this really mean that you and Split5 will become the best of friends?


Also, I noticed a few pages back that you were 100% committed to taking volsi out on a date....if she looks anything like Kalinda (like her icon) we are so fighting over her.


Problem solved.



Oh no!

02122015
Posts: 5317
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:57 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby 02122015 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:35 am

volsi wrote:
Topher wrote:
Rocketman11 wrote:You put a lot of effort into that post. I'm honored, just don't turn into one of those stalker fans.



As per previously mentioned logic, does this really mean that you and Split5 will become the best of friends?


Also, I noticed a few pages back that you were 100% committed to taking volsi out on a date....if she looks anything like Kalinda (like her icon) we are so fighting over her.


Problem solved.

This made me LOL at 5:30 in the morning.

User avatar
Rocketman11
Posts: 612
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:32 am

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby Rocketman11 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:08 am

beef wellington wrote:Help my SO and I decide where to live (or at least where to apply to live).

1 bedroom half a block from Cleveland Park metro station. Apartment is fine, nothing special, location is obviously great.

2 bedroom townhouse right by Wheaton metro. 20 minute train ride from GULC. A lot more space, cleaner, newer. I like the idea of having a separate room to study in.


Ive been in dc 2 years now and didn't even know there was a metro stop called Wheaton. Could be an indicator of what life will be like out that far! ;)

Cleveland Park is a nice area FWIW




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest