GULC c/o 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
D. H2Oman

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby D. H2Oman » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:27 pm

starrydecisus wrote:I'm starting to get freaked out about work study. Did anyone else accept it?

Do you know when we find out what the work is?

I think I remember reading that they'll said an e-mail with specifics on it, on August 23rd.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:35 pm

starrydecisus wrote:I'm starting to get freaked out about work study. Did anyone else accept it?

I think we will get paid 16 dollars an hour or something to do next to nothing. I am not freaking out about that, except for maybe being happy about it. Happy freaking?

I have no idea what kind of work it is, but like waterman said I think we find out about it during orientation and you can just reject it if you want at that point.

starrydecisus

Postby starrydecisus » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:08 pm

Unitas wrote:

I think we will get paid 16 dollars an hour or something to do next to nothing. I am not freaking out about that, except for maybe being happy about it. Happy freaking?

I have no idea what kind of work it is, but like waterman said I think we find out about it during orientation and you can just reject it if you want at that point.

I'm down with that, especially if we can read cases/study during that time. It might even force me to focus. ...I guess, I'm just nervous not knowing the extent of the work. But $$$$ is always nice =) (especially money that doesn't come from a loan)

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:23 pm

starrydecisus wrote:
Unitas wrote:

I'm down with that, especially if we can read cases/study during that time. It might even force me to focus. ...I guess, I'm just nervous not knowing the extent of the work. But $$$$ is always nice =) (especially money that doesn't come from a loan)

I'll ask when I am there. Oh, it seems like it is 12.60 an hour, not 16. :( still ok.

http://www.law.georgetown.edu/studentWorking.html wrote:The Law Center participates in the federally funded Federal Work-Study (FWS) program. Eligible students can earn approximately $12.60 per hour, up to 15 hours per week for various Law Center departments. FWS job opportunities are also available at a limited number of off-campus community service agencies. Students interested in this type of employment should contact the Financial Aid Office for more information.

Under FWS, 75% of a student's wages are paid by federal funds and 25% paid by the employer. Off-campus employers must be willing to contribute the 25% match in order to participate in FWS.

When a student reaches his/her prescribed work-study earnings maximum award, federal regulations stat the s/he must be removed form the FWS program. FWS employers and students should map out the total number of hours that can be worked during the year so that the student does not exceed the approved maxiumu. Remember, a student may only work an average of 15 hours per week, except during vacations when a student may work up to 40 hours per week.

Application Procedures

Students must qualify on the basis of federal need to participate in FWS. As a result, processed, valid results from the FAFSA for the current year must be on file in the Financial Aid Office before FWS eligibility can be determined. As with other federal "need-based" aid programs, if further documentation is required to verify the FAFSA results, the requested information must be on file in the Financial Aid Office before the FWS authorization can be approved.

FWS Awards

Students who express an interest in the FWS program on their institutional aid application, or who come by the Financial Aid Office to sign up prior to the start of school, will receive the authorization form and additional instructions in their student mailboxes at the start of the fall term.

First year students are awarded a lesser amount of FWS for the academic year than upperclass students based on the expected adjustment to the law school environment. In general, first year full time J.D. student awards will reflect an average of 10 hours work per week rather than the maximum of 15 hours.

Securing FWS Positions

It is the responsibility of the student to pursue one of the available FWS positions at the Law Center, on Main Campus, or with the approved off-campus agencies. Many jobs for first year J.D. students are located in the Law Library and are offered on a "first come, first served" basis. Other FWS positions are posted in the Financial Aid Office, but most openings on campus are announced in What's Happening, the weekly student newsletter. Offices that frequently have vacancies include the Dean's Office, Career Services, Student Affairs, and some of the Law Center institutes and clinics. Research assistant positions for faculty members are usually restricted to upperclass student because of the coursework prerequisites.

softrevolution

Postby softrevolution » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:48 pm

Topher wrote:I wish the professors would post syllabi so that I could order my books off of Amazon....so much cheaper!

If you go to the bookstore's website, you can find out some of the books that you'll need if you know your section number. Just use the course numbers listed on our schedules.

--LinkRemoved--

Rocketman11

Postby Rocketman11 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:42 pm

volsi wrote:Hey all, back from DC. Put an application in for a cute studio. 2 blocks from a safeway. Traveling to DC and back in one day is not the best idea, also.

incredibly disappointed you didn't call me

Postby 02122015 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:18 pm

Rocketman11 wrote:
volsi wrote:Hey all, back from DC. Put an application in for a cute studio. 2 blocks from a safeway. Traveling to DC and back in one day is not the best idea, also.

incredibly disappointed you didn't call me

Glad to see you're back to normal.

Rocketman11

Postby Rocketman11 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:19 pm

MSPeast wrote:
Rocketman11 wrote:incredibly disappointed you didn't call me

I'm still in a funk but im trying to flirt my way past it.

js87

Postby js87 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:31 pm

Just a reminder -- the bill for fall 2010 is due by the 26th of this month. Anyone with an outstanding bill pay it yet? I think I'm going to next week, hopefully after they remove the health insurance fee.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:49 pm

js87 wrote:Just a reminder -- the bill for fall 2010 is due by the 26th of this month. Anyone with an outstanding bill pay it yet? I think I'm going to next week, hopefully after they remove the health insurance fee.

I'm confused, what are you paying? You didn't take out loans for costs???

js87

Postby js87 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:54 pm

Unitas wrote:
js87 wrote:Just a reminder -- the bill for fall 2010 is due by the 26th of this month. Anyone with an outstanding bill pay it yet? I think I'm going to next week, hopefully after they remove the health insurance fee.

I'm confused, what are you paying? You didn't take out loans for costs???

I did for most of the cost, but I'm paying for part of it with savings. I guess I should clarify the bill situation: I meant for people who will owe some portion, IE: won't cover 100% of tuition + housing with financial aid this semester.

volsi

Postby volsi » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:06 am

Rocketman11 wrote:
MSPeast wrote:
Rocketman11 wrote:incredibly disappointed you didn't call me

I'm still in a funk but im trying to flirt my way past it.

You're not my type. I don't go for criers.

starrydecisus

Postby starrydecisus » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:19 am

Thanks for the reminder! I'm paying part of this year with savings (to minimize interest), so I have to stay on top of this!

mulberry.tree

Postby mulberry.tree » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:03 am

So I have financial aid question. I'm out of town but someone just emailed me that a letter came saying my loans were approved... but from what they told me it wasn't the full amount I requested. Has this happened to anyone else? Is it possible that it was just the approval for one type of loan (ie gradplus or something)? Oh and I'm working with the office to fix the fact that I can't log into my access anymore. I don't know if anyone here will have any idea of what I'm talking about, but I'm just freakin out here a little!!! Basically, should I be panicking guys? :shock:

Sansei

Postby Sansei » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:29 am

mulberry.tree wrote:So I have financial aid question. I'm out of town but someone just emailed me that a letter came saying my loans were approved... but from what they told me it wasn't the full amount I requested. Has this happened to anyone else? Is it possible that it was just the approval for one type of loan (ie gradplus or something)? Oh and I'm working with the office to fix the fact that I can't log into my access anymore. I don't know if anyone here will have any idea of what I'm talking about, but I'm just freakin out here a little!!! Basically, should I be panicking guys? :shock:

I wouldn't panic. I received a letter also specifically for the GradPlus loan as you stated. I think there were a couple of others on here that received the same approval.

Postby 02122015 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:28 am

mulberry.tree wrote:So I have financial aid question. I'm out of town but someone just emailed me that a letter came saying my loans were approved... but from what they told me it wasn't the full amount I requested. Has this happened to anyone else? Is it possible that it was just the approval for one type of loan (ie gradplus or something)? Oh and I'm working with the office to fix the fact that I can't log into my access anymore. I don't know if anyone here will have any idea of what I'm talking about, but I'm just freakin out here a little!!! Basically, should I be panicking guys? :shock:

Yes, mine was just for the GradPlus amount. I think approval of the Stafford happened a while back, or is automatic, or something. For example, only the GradPlus loan required a credit check.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:58 am

MSPeast wrote:

Yes, mine was just for the GradPlus amount. I think approval of the Stafford happened a while back, or is automatic, or something. For example, only the GradPlus loan required a credit check.

TITCR. Just add 20500 to the number the person told you for total loans. That should work.

DanInALionsDen

Postby DanInALionsDen » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:21 am

Unitas wrote:
starrydecisus wrote:
Unitas wrote:

I'll ask when I am there. Oh, it seems like it is 12.60 an hour, not 16. :( still ok.

According to my letter from the financial aid office:

"Students earn $16.40/hr at various jobs throughout the Law Center. Most students work 10 hours per week."

lawschoolsuccess2013

Postby lawschoolsuccess2013 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:30 am

Hey guys,
Anyone looking for a roommate near GULC? -I'll be up in D.C. in a couple weeks hunting. If you are looking for one just shoot me a personal message! (I'm section 2 by the way.)

stace83

Postby stace83 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:10 pm

hi everyone! First of all, I'm in section 3- looking forward to it.

I can't remember if people have been able to log into their email yet. I tried using my net id and password and it didn't work. Has anyone else had any luck?

dk8

Postby dk8 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:11 pm

stace83 wrote:hi everyone! First of all, I'm in section 3- looking forward to it.

I can't remember if people have been able to log into their email yet. I tried using my net id and password and it didn't work. Has anyone else had any luck?

switch the options to private computer. worked for me

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:11 pm

stace83 wrote:hi everyone! First of all, I'm in section 3- looking forward to it.

Are you using the right password? Try your net ID and your password but use a capital "A" instead of "gu" and then put in the 6 numbers.

stace83

Postby stace83 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:26 pm

Thanks guys- it worked!

It's a little scary I can't even sign into my law school email all by myself- thank god for TLS! :D

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:32 pm

stace83 wrote:Thanks guys- it worked!

It's a little scary I can't even sign into my law school email all by myself- thank god for TLS! :D

I wish I was in your section.....umm....I mean you're welcome :wink:

stace83

Postby stace83 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:53 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:
stace83 wrote:Thanks guys- it worked!

I wish I was in your section.....umm....I mean you're welcome :wink:

even if we're not in the same section, I could still ask you for help with tons of other stuff: how to open my locker, how to read my class schedule, etc. :D

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”