GULC c/o 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
User avatar
starrydecisus
Posts: 547
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:31 am

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby starrydecisus » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:42 pm

PM me for the link to the pictures!!!

02122015
Posts: 5317
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:57 pm

.

Postby 02122015 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:59 pm

.
Last edited by 02122015 on Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
Unitas
Posts: 1387
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby Unitas » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:03 pm

starrydecisus wrote:PM me for the link to the pictures!!!


Ok, those are great.... That ad for housing did look good. They spelled quiet as quite though, so probably not a good sign.

Thanks so much.

User avatar
volsi
Posts: 274
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:28 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby volsi » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:50 pm

MSPeast wrote:I think we used those in 4th grade English class! We were kind of a rich school.


Jealous. We had Mac IIs and I played Number Crunchers on them all day.
Last edited by volsi on Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
starrydecisus
Posts: 547
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:31 am

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby starrydecisus » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:59 pm

volsi wrote:
MSPeast wrote:I think we used those in 4th grade English class! We were kind of a rich school.


Jealous. We had Mac IIs and I played Number Crunchers on them all day. Oh, P.S. 153... I don't miss you at all.


NUMBER CRUNCHERS!!!! OMIGOODNESS, I LOVED NUMBER CRUNCHERS!!!

I had completely forgotten about it until you brought it up here. How funny!


Edit: (Nerd alert)

02122015
Posts: 5317
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:57 pm

.

Postby 02122015 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:00 pm

.
Last edited by 02122015 on Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Unitas
Posts: 1387
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby Unitas » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:02 pm

starrydecisus wrote:
volsi wrote:
MSPeast wrote:I think we used those in 4th grade English class! We were kind of a rich school.


Jealous. We had Mac IIs and I played Number Crunchers on them all day. Oh, P.S. 153... I don't miss you at all.


NUMBER CRUNCHERS!!!! OMIGOODNESS, I LOVED NUMBER CRUNCHERS!!!

I had completely forgotten about it until you brought it up here. How funny!


Edit: (Nerd alert)


oregon trail. I think it was the first time I experienced death..

My HS was pretty rich and they didn't give us computers.

02122015
Posts: 5317
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:57 pm

.

Postby 02122015 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:12 pm

.
Last edited by 02122015 on Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
starrydecisus
Posts: 547
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:31 am

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby starrydecisus » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:12 pm

Unitas wrote:
starrydecisus wrote:
volsi wrote:
MSPeast wrote:I think we used those in 4th grade English class! We were kind of a rich school.


Jealous. We had Mac IIs and I played Number Crunchers on them all day. Oh, P.S. 153... I don't miss you at all.


NUMBER CRUNCHERS!!!! OMIGOODNESS, I LOVED NUMBER CRUNCHERS!!!

I had completely forgotten about it until you brought it up here. How funny!


Edit: (Nerd alert)


oregon trail. I think it was the first time I experienced death..

My HS was pretty rich and they didn't give us computers.


ah, Oregon Trail, wrought with impossible decisions.

If you decide to ford the swollen river, all your oxen may get swept away and you'll be stranded...

But if you stay behind, Little Susie may die of Dyptheria...

User avatar
D. H2Oman
Posts: 7469
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:47 am

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby D. H2Oman » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:15 pm

Is number crunchers the game where you had that little green guy and you'd have to like eat all the multiples of 4 or something like that? I loved that game.

02122015
Posts: 5317
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:57 pm

.

Postby 02122015 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:17 pm

.
Last edited by 02122015 on Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Unitas
Posts: 1387
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby Unitas » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:18 pm

starrydecisus wrote:
Unitas wrote:
starrydecisus wrote:
volsi wrote:Jealous. We had Mac IIs and I played Number Crunchers on them all day. Oh, P.S. 153... I don't miss you at all.


NUMBER CRUNCHERS!!!! OMIGOODNESS, I LOVED NUMBER CRUNCHERS!!!

I had completely forgotten about it until you brought it up here. How funny!


Edit: (Nerd alert)


oregon trail. I think it was the first time I experienced death..

My HS was pretty rich and they didn't give us computers.


ah, Oregon Trail, wrought with impossible decisions.

If you decide to ford the swollen river, all your oxen may get swept away and you'll be stranded...

But if you stay behind, Little Susie may die of Dyptheria...


Image

She still wanted to eat... Brat.
And teachers used that game like a babysitter. I am convinced they had us play it when they were hungover.

We had a lot of computers, but nothing take home. We also had a T1 internet connection, which was state of the art at the time. I remember games of starcraft all over the school using their T1 connection in HS.


That is quite possibly the ugliest stove I have ever seen in my entire life.

02122015
Posts: 5317
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:57 pm

.

Postby 02122015 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:30 pm

.
Last edited by 02122015 on Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Unitas
Posts: 1387
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby Unitas » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:36 pm

That stuff is really expensive in CVS. Is everywhere like that? I'm gonna feel poor.

With bed bath and beyond you can go into the store near you, pick out whatever you want, buy it (I guess), and it'll be ready at the store in DC whenever you want to pick it up. For people that like bed bath and beyond it may be worth it.

User avatar
volsi
Posts: 274
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:28 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby volsi » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:15 pm

MSPeast wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:Is number crunchers the game where you had that little green guy and you'd have to like eat all the multiples of 4 or something like that? I loved that game.

Yep! There was also Word Munchers and a third one, which I can't remember. I actually think I was best at the one I can't remember. Maybe it was Geography or History or something?


I swear Number and Word crunchers taught me more about math and vocabulary than my teachers did.

and I'm sure Oregon Trail was used when they were hungover. If I had to deal with 35 south-brooklyn smart ass 4th graders, I'd be hung over too.

I've been playing Oregon Trail on my iphone and its just not the same. Though I also seem to have replaced "dyptheria" with "syphilis" in my memory of that game.

User avatar
starrydecisus
Posts: 547
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:31 am

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby starrydecisus » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:08 pm

Unitas wrote:That stuff is really expensive in CVS. Is everywhere like that? I'm gonna feel poor.



Oh I know! I thought the same thing! My French Bread Pizzas are much cheaper here AND they're always buy one, get one free at Publix. I'm going to miss BOGOs at Publix!

Trader Joe's and Whole Foods are more expensive too. Maybe Safeway will rescue us?

02122015
Posts: 5317
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:57 pm

.

Postby 02122015 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:09 pm

.
Last edited by 02122015 on Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Sansei
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:28 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby Sansei » Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:02 pm

starrydecisus wrote:PM me for the link to the pictures!!!


Thanks Starry! These are great. They're really helpful in planning what I'm going to need to take/buy.

User avatar
gilchristh
Posts: 219
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:06 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby gilchristh » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:23 pm

scribelaw wrote:With good bidding, how many interviews could someone who prefers DC expect to get?

Hmmm, good question. I'm not a great person to ask, since I already had my summer plans worked out in advance. But I'd say that most people focused primarily on DC, and I guesstimate that each had about 3-6 interviews, on average. The weirdest part is that interviews and callbacks from interviews happened at almost random times, from January through May. So just 'cause you don't hear something right away doesn't mean that you aren't going to hear something eventually.

Edit: But like I said, I'm not the greatest person to ask. I'll see if I can't get someone else to chime in on this with some more reliable information.
Last edited by gilchristh on Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
gilchristh
Posts: 219
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:06 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby gilchristh » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:28 pm

volsi wrote:
MSPeast wrote:I'm sure Oregon Trail was used when they were hungover. If I had to deal with 35 south-brooklyn smart ass 4th graders, I'd be hung over too.

I've been playing Oregon Trail on my iphone and its just not the same. Though I also seem to have replaced "dyptheria" with "syphilis" in my memory of that game.

You might both be thinking of dysentery (a.k.a. "explosive diarrhea").
Image
--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
gilchristh
Posts: 219
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:06 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby gilchristh » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:38 pm

apples wrote:So I have a question about tuition/financial aid. Tuition is due July 26. I am new to the whole financial aid thing. Do our federal loans get disbursed before July 26? Do I need to do anything.

Don't worry--if you have loans, the school is already on notice that you'll be receiving them (assuming you've filled out all the necessary paperwork). You get an automatic deferment of payment. In the interim, if you check out your account on MyAccess, you'll see that your loans are showing up as "pending" or something like that, so the amount at the bottom is the amount you'll eventually get back (typically the weekend between Orientation and class start or in the first couple days of that first week of classes, depending upon when the school receives the funds from your loan provider).

P.S.--If you need your loan refund quickly, you should check MyAccess once or twice a day during Orientation to see when the funds are applied to your account. You'll get an email from Financial Aid to inform you, but mine showed up in MyAccess I think a full day before I got the email. To speed up the refund process, make sure you've already entered in your bank account information where the refund should be deposited (select direct deposit if you want it quickly), and as soon as your loans are posted to your account, you have to go back on to MyAccess and formally request the refund. You then get it about 2 days after that (it says within 72 hours, but it's usually a little faster than that).

User avatar
gilchristh
Posts: 219
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:06 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby gilchristh » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:47 pm

starrydecisus wrote:
Unitas wrote:That stuff is really expensive in CVS. Is everywhere like that? I'm gonna feel poor.



Oh I know! I thought the same thing! My French Bread Pizzas are much cheaper here AND they're always buy one, get one free at Publix. I'm going to miss BOGOs at Publix!

Trader Joe's and Whole Foods are more expensive too. Maybe Safeway will rescue us?

Safeway can be kind of expensive, but Giant is the most common grocery store in DC, and while Giant stores are not generally Safeway-caliber (read: organized, adequately staffed, and replete with great specialty sections), they tend to be the cheapest grocery stores around for the basics.

User avatar
volsi
Posts: 274
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:28 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby volsi » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:11 pm

gilchristh wrote:
apples wrote:So I have a question about tuition/financial aid. Tuition is due July 26. I am new to the whole financial aid thing. Do our federal loans get disbursed before July 26? Do I need to do anything.

Don't worry--if you have loans, the school is already on notice that you'll be receiving them (assuming you've filled out all the necessary paperwork). You get an automatic deferment of payment. In the interim, if you check out your account on MyAccess, you'll see that your loans are showing up as "pending" or something like that, so the amount at the bottom is the amount you'll eventually get back (typically the weekend between Orientation and class start or in the first couple days of that first week of classes, depending upon when the school receives the funds from your loan provider).

P.S.--If you need your loan refund quickly, you should check MyAccess once or twice a day during Orientation to see when the funds are applied to your account. You'll get an email from Financial Aid to inform you, but mine showed up in MyAccess I think a full day before I got the email. To speed up the refund process, make sure you've already entered in your bank account information where the refund should be deposited (select direct deposit if you want it quickly), and as soon as your loans are posted to your account, you have to go back on to MyAccess and formally request the refund. You then get it about 2 days after that (it says within 72 hours, but it's usually a little faster than that).


Wow, I hadn't checked MyAccess in a while and the reward info has indeed been updated to the sum I decided to take out in loans. Thanks for this.

User avatar
starrydecisus
Posts: 547
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:31 am

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby starrydecisus » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:28 am

gilchristh wrote:
volsi wrote:
MSPeast wrote:I'm sure Oregon Trail was used when they were hungover. If I had to deal with 35 south-brooklyn smart ass 4th graders, I'd be hung over too.

I've been playing Oregon Trail on my iphone and its just not the same. Though I also seem to have replaced "dyptheria" with "syphilis" in my memory of that game.

You might both be thinking of dysentery (a.k.a. "explosive diarrhea").
Image
--ImageRemoved--


YOU ARE SO RIGHT!!!!!

User avatar
starrydecisus
Posts: 547
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:31 am

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby starrydecisus » Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:41 pm

ONE AND A HALF MONTHS!!!!!!!!!!!!!


(I just wanted to bump our thread.)




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests