GULC c/o 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
Unitas

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby Unitas » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:05 pm

gilchristh wrote:Students can use more than one bid on a particular firm. HTH.

Do we have a limit on bids? How many do we get? "Sorry I am new to this style of getting a job."

Thanks gilchristh for all your help. :)

shadow.

Postby shadow. » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:09 pm

Last edited by shadow. on Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gilchristh

Postby gilchristh » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:13 pm

Unitas wrote:

Do we have a limit on bids? How many do we get? "Sorry I am new to this style of getting a job."

Thanks gilchristh for all your help. :)

No problem! The number of bids varies by the interview/application program. We have 50 for regular Early Interview Week. I think we had another 50 last year for the big public interest career thingy we held jointly with GW. I believe we had 10 international bids for a special international program. We had another 50 for LA GRIP (basically a SoCal region-specific program). There's also an upcoming Texas interview program (bids not yet announced), 50 special bids for Early Interview Week for IP (although those might be taken out of our regular EIW bids, dunno for sure)... etc. Basically, you get a fresh set of bids for each program, there are a bunch of different programs, and you get a good number of bids. I'm pretty sure you can use up to 10 bids on any particular firm. I'm not 100% certain, though, because although I still have access to it all, I stopped utilizing the programs because as a joint degree student, I'm basically being re-synched with your class for all this stuff, effective as of this summer.

scribelaw

Postby scribelaw » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:20 pm

Does this mean different offices with the same firm? Or bidding several times on one office -- say Arnold & Porter DC office -- to up your chances of actually getting an interview?

scribelaw

Postby scribelaw » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:22 pm

shadow. wrote:Okay, a few more data points. Again, keep in mind that these figures are over the last ten years, so their utility really depends on where the legal economy is in 2013.

Of the 164 firms that have enough GPA data (>= 5 SA positions), the median of the median GPA hired is 3.37, which is a hair over GULC's overall median at 3.37. The average of the medians is a 3.38, which indicates that the dispersion is slightly skewed left.

Similarly, the median of the maximum is a 3.67 and the average of the maximum is 3.674. Not much skewness here.

If I get ambitious later tonight I might break it down by V10, V50, V100, etc.

@ Unitas: I believe that we get 50 bids.

A lot of this would have been under the old curve which pushed the median down below 3.2 though, correct?

dk8

Postby dk8 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:27 pm

shadow, where are you seeing the overall placement data?

gilchristh

Postby gilchristh » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:33 pm

scribelaw wrote:

Does this mean different offices with the same firm? Or bidding several times on one office -- say Arnold & Porter DC office -- to up your chances of actually getting an interview?

Both are options.

shadow.

Postby shadow. » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:33 pm

gilchristh

Postby gilchristh » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:39 pm

shadow. wrote:Not sure how accessible these data are if you can figure out the exact link, so I'm reluctant to give the exact link here.

Don't worry, it's safe to provide links. Nothing secure is accessible to non-Georgetown folks. You'll always be prompted to enter your NetID and password before access is granted.

starrydecisus

Postby starrydecisus » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:41 pm

shadow. wrote:
Unitas wrote:
starrydecisus wrote:
Unitas wrote:I tried to go into the student facebook page on Georgetown site and it says my login and "Our records indicate you are not a student." Did this link work for anyone?

That's a scary message to get! Can you send the link here, and I'll try it out?

I figure the message is because we aren't current students... yet. :)

I can't get in either. Not worried, especially since I've been all over the OCS site. Cool statistics re: OCI if anyone is interested.

Also, no love for Section 7?

Can't get in either! "Our records indicate that you are not a student."

shadow.

Postby shadow. » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:43 pm

starrydecisus

Postby starrydecisus » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:45 pm

gilchristh wrote:
starrydecisus wrote:Do you have any insider scoop on Section 2 professors? (Mezey, Spann, Bonneau, Cedrone, Rothstein, Mikhail, Teitelbaum, or Satz?)

Edit: PS-- Abernathy sounds terrifying!

Don't sweat Abernathy--his whole purpose is just to keep you on your toes. If you're already on 'em, then you'll be fine... just know that it's all an act.

Mezey is basically everyone's favorite professor. She's great--extremely knowledgeable, very accessible, and really funny. You'll love her. Mikhail is also really cool, though his exams are pretty tough. FYI--you DON'T want multiple choice on your exams. Trust me. We have all come to know and love multiple choice tests, but this axiom does NOT hold true for law school exams. If your professor (hint, hint: Mikhail) proposes multiple choice questions on your exam, lobby STRONGLY against them. Mikhail (pronounced Mick-hi-ul, not Mick-hale, in case you want to impress him) is also very accessible, extremely knowledgeable, and down-to-earth, though he definitely expects you to know your cases rather well.

I'm pretty sure my best friend had Spann and Rothstein, so I'll ask her what she has to say about them. I don't think I know anyone who had Teitelbaum or Satz, but I'll put my feelers out in case I'm wrong. But Mezey and Mikhail are both wins.

Thank you so much for your helpful information!!!

paravion

Postby paravion » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:58 pm

Section 4! Though I originally requested Curriculum B and am already terrified of Abernathy.

I'm a fellow Gewirz-er (8th floor) from NYC moving in August 21! Can't wait to meet you all!

Thanks everyone for all the helpful info.

tbw20

Postby tbw20 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:23 pm

Hi future classmates! I have quick question I'm hoping you can help me with:

I just found out today I'm in Section 3. I requested Curriculum B, but over the past couple weeks have been thinking I might prefer the standard curriculum. Is there any way I can opt out of Section 3 and open up a spot for someone who wants curriculum B but didn't get it? Or is it not worth bothering the registrar's office now that I've been pre-registered? I'd still be perfectly content in Section 3, but just thought it might be worth opening up my slot to someone who wants it more than I do.

Thanks for your help!

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:24 pm

tbw20 wrote:Hi future classmates! I have quick question I'm hoping you can help me with:

I just found out today I'm in Section 3. I requested Curriculum B, but over the past couple weeks have been thinking I might prefer the standard curriculum. Is there any way I can opt out of Section 3 and open up a spot for someone who wants curriculum B but didn't get it? Or is it not worth bothering the registrar's office now that I've been pre-registered? I'd still be perfectly content in Section 3, but just thought it might be worth opening up my slot to someone who wants it more than I do.

Thanks for your help!

Call and ask; they are very nice. Worst they can say is no. Welcome to the group all the new people. :)

starrydecisus

Postby starrydecisus » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:25 pm

tbw20 wrote:Hi future classmates! I have quick question I'm hoping you can help me with:

Thanks for your help!

I think it'd be worth a try to switch out if you really think you'd rather have the standard curriculum, especially since there are students that didn't get Curriculum B that wanted it. Hey, maybe you'll get Section 2 with no Friday classes =)

scribelaw

Postby scribelaw » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:28 pm

gilchristh wrote:
shadow. wrote:Not sure how accessible these data are if you can figure out the exact link, so I'm reluctant to give the exact link here.

Don't worry, it's safe to provide links. Nothing secure is accessible to non-Georgetown folks. You'll always be prompted to enter your NetID and password before access is granted.

With good bidding, how many interviews could someone who prefers DC expect to get?

volsi

Postby volsi » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:39 pm

I really appreciate all the thanks for the spreadsheet. :D You guys make a girl feel loved.
I've updated it once again. Section 7 has been added. It should be pretty current until Saturday - very little computer time planned for the holiday weekend.

gilchristh - thanks for all the great info. You rock.

gilchristh

Postby gilchristh » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:36 pm

@volsi--I'm glad to help in any way to make a potentially overwhelming process a little more manageable :)

Re: Spann--I got two reports back on Spann. Here they are:
Student 1 wrote:Had Spann. Really not a fan. Enjoyed playing hide the ball, asked for one thing and expected something else, viewed correcting and stumping students as a game for him to win.

Student 2 wrote:I had Spann. Great teacher - acerbic, very quotable. He can embarrass you when you answer poorly but as he doesn't take names it doesn't really matter. Usually his tests are straight forward, but last year's came out of left field. All in all a great Prof.

I should also clarify that Student 1 is a friend who's very smart and who is definitely not a slacker. Two pretty different opinions, so take from it what you will.

starrydecisus

Postby starrydecisus » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:14 pm

gilchristh wrote:@volsi--I'm glad to help in any way to make a potentially overwhelming process a little more manageable :)

Re: Spann--I got two reports back on Spann. Here they are:
Student 1 wrote:Had Spann. Really not a fan. Enjoyed playing hide the ball, asked for one thing and expected something else, viewed correcting and stumping students as a game for him to win.

Student 2 wrote:I had Spann. Great teacher - acerbic, very quotable. He can embarrass you when you answer poorly but as he doesn't take names it doesn't really matter. Usually his tests are straight forward, but last year's came out of left field. All in all a great Prof.

I should also clarify that Student 1 is a friend who's very smart and who is definitely not a slacker. Two pretty different opinions, so take from it what you will.

Thank you so much for being awesome and doing some investigating for us :)

Delinquent

Postby Delinquent » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:22 am

Thanks for your help!

There's a waiting list for Curriculum B. You can definitely withdraw. If you do, they will randomly select someone from the waitlist to take your place. Not sure how you'd go about doing that though.

Sansei

Postby Sansei » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:09 am

So for everyone living in Gewirz, have you made contact with your roomate(s) yet? I tried to contact mine weeks ago, but never heard anything back.

Postby 02122015 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:25 am

Last edited by 02122015 on Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nax425

Postby nax425 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:19 am

Section 4. Not terribly excited about the professors based on what i've heard...What exactly are we expected to know on our first day other than the reading?

starrydecisus

Postby starrydecisus » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:24 am

Sansei wrote:So for everyone living in Gewirz, have you made contact with your roomate(s) yet? I tried to contact mine weeks ago, but never heard anything back.

I friended one of mine on facebook and have talked to her there! The other one I couldn't find on facebook, but I'll probably email her closer to the time, in case anything changes.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”