GULC c/o 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
starrydecisus

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby starrydecisus » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:46 pm

No problem, guys! I had a blast.

I took one for the team in the "dorky incoming 1L" factor. Took TONS of pictures of everything, from the cafeteria menu to dorm bathrooms. EVERYONE could tell. :)

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:54 pm

starrydecisus wrote:No problem, guys! I had a blast.

I took one for the team in the "dorky incoming 1L" factor. Took TONS of pictures of everything, from the cafeteria menu to dorm bathrooms. EVERYONE could tell. :)

We all fit that bill. :)

I'll be there in a week from Friday so if any gets anymore questions -especially after we get this great info- let me know.

Topher

Postby Topher » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:06 pm

Well, I requested and was really interested in Curriculum B, but they put me in Section 4. I suppose having the elective won't be so bad.

beef wellington

Postby beef wellington » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:19 pm

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:23 pm

beef wellington wrote:Faculty evaluations:

http://www.law.georgetown.edu/curriculum/evaluations/

Oh that is cool.. People are probably more honest on ratemyprofessor. I guess it depends on how it is done, in my undergrad the professor could figure out who the student was if they knew their handwriting.

69 of 121 students responded to this one. Not a good response rate. Plus, it does not have written comments.
Last edited by Unitas on Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

volsi

Postby volsi » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:37 pm

Should we make a list of who is in each section for our reference? I can do this, if you guys want.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:40 pm

volsi wrote:Should we make a list of who is in each section for our reference? I can do this, if you guys want.

I like the idea, but maybe put a disclaimer so people could opt out if they want to remove their section? Some may not like it saved.

I'm Section 1.

xcountryjunkie

Postby xcountryjunkie » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:50 pm

Ugh. I keep getting an error on the section assignment page. It won't tell me my section. Anyone else having issues?

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:53 pm

xcountryjunkie wrote:Ugh. I keep getting an error on the section assignment page. It won't tell me my section. Anyone else having issues?

Check your e-mail (your non school e-mail), it should have sent your section there. "This won't help with getting classes and the new checklist for orientation, but will let you know your section." Call them in the morning if you don't have it?

xcountryjunkie

Postby xcountryjunkie » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:00 pm

Unitas wrote:
xcountryjunkie wrote:Ugh. I keep getting an error on the section assignment page. It won't tell me my section. Anyone else having issues?

Check your e-mail (your non school e-mail), it should have sent your section there. "This won't help with getting classes and the new checklist for orientation, but will let you know your section." Call them in the morning if you don't have it?

No email from Georgetown today. Very odd. I'll give them a call in the morning.

js87

Postby js87 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:08 pm

Unitas wrote:
volsi wrote:Should we make a list of who is in each section for our reference? I can do this, if you guys want.

I like the idea, but maybe put a disclaimer so people could opt out if they want to remove their section? Some may not like it saved.

I'm Section 1.

Section 1 here too! Looks like we got a pretty schedule -- only Civ Pro on Fridays, and it's over by 10:55. Then, second semester, nothing on Friday at all.

BTW, thank you for taking the time to post all the ratemyprofessor pages. Very helpful!

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:21 pm

xcountryjunkie wrote:
Unitas wrote:

It may be due to the WL -> A (I just looked at your profile for the first time). Be sure and call - they are really nice. Congrats on joining us. :)

js87 wrote:
Section 1 here too! Looks like we got a pretty schedule -- only Civ Pro on Fridays, and it's over by 10:55. Then, second semester, nothing on Friday at all.

BTW, thank you for taking the time to post all the ratemyprofessor pages. Very helpful!

Friday classes don't bother me much. I have always had to have one - just one. Not a problem on the ratemyprofessor pages, I would've looked them up either way.

xcountryjunkie

Postby xcountryjunkie » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:25 pm

Unitas wrote:
xcountryjunkie wrote:
Unitas wrote:

It may be due to the WL -> A (I just looked at your profile for the first time). Be sure and call - they are really nice. Congrats on joining us. :)

Thanks! I don't think GULC tech services are as psyched about my acceptance as I am. I just tried to access my LawMail for the first time and failed miserably. Now I'm locked out. Hopefully my tech-related luck will change in the morning!

dk8

Postby dk8 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:50 pm

section 1 seems like there is alot of us

dk8

Postby dk8 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:51 pm

volsi wrote:Also, I am going to be in DC next tuesday, looking at studios in SW. Anyone know a good happy hour near Union Station? :D

don't know yet, but i'd like to find out. I'm movin in next monday about 5 minute walk away from union station.

nowinGA

Postby nowinGA » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:59 pm

dk8 wrote:
volsi wrote:Also, I am going to be in DC next tuesday, looking at studios in SW. Anyone know a good happy hour near Union Station? :D

don't know yet, but i'd like to find out. I'm movin in next monday about 5 minute walk away from union station.

There is a good brewery (kinda chain-like, but a great spot nonetheless) IN Union Station. It is where I spent election night at the HRC party in 2008. I cannot for the life of me remember the name...but it is something like City Brewery...

Anyway, seemed like a good, general place for something like a happy hour...near union station. I am sure there are numerous other good spots as well, but I thought I would throw this out there.

Wish I was in town!

Edit: It's Capitol City Brewing Company... http://www.capcitybrew.com/

starrydecisus

Postby starrydecisus » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:09 pm

Hey, everyone!

So my trip to DC was amazing. I'll post the pictures soon, but figured I'd post some of the information I found out first since the pictures will take me a little while to upload.

Here are the answers to the questions, as promised:

The List

Gewirz Apartments

-Does any/all of the furniture move, including the beds (will we be able to rearrange our rooms)?

All of the furniture moves, provided you're strong enough to push it. The only thing that doesn't move is the hutch about the desk, as it is attached to the wall. I only saw a 3-br eff., so the rooms were pretty small, and it did not seem like there was a need to rearrange the furniture THAT much. Only so many ways you can fit everything into the room!

-Do the windows open?

Yes, they slide open. Hurray for fresh air!

-Do we need shower curtains?

The bathrooms are equipped with shower curtain liners. So technically you do not need one. But it's probably better to have both a liner and a regular curtain (keeps more water from getting out and also looks less institutional--the liner curtain is plain white)

-How old are the mattresses?

As part of the renovations this summer, all of the bedrooms are getting new mattresses. Yippee!

-Does each individual room have locks or just the front door (in 2+ bedrooms)?

You only get a key for the front door. If you really want to, you can request that you also get a bedroom door key made. But you don't automatically get one. I imagine you pay for that.

-Is there room for storage under the bed?

YES! If you look at the pictures when I put them up, it will look like there is not bed storage, because it appears to be a solid wood panel from the mattress to the floor. However, this panel is hinged and opens up, so you can store stuff under the bed. It's about a foot high.

-What are the dimensions for the storage space under the bed, if any? (i.e. what size boxes can we store?)

Approximately 12 inches. I brought a tape measurer haha. I would go for a box that's a little bit less than that for ideal fit.

-What are the dimensions of the closet?
-Does the closet have a shelf/shelves?

The closet has one shelf, which is about 3 feet down from the ceiling.
Beneath the shelf is the closet rod and approximately 5 feet of space before you hit the ground.
There was so much to think about that I forgot to measure the width of the closet! It's pretty wide since there are two doors that open up. See pictures when I put them up.

The closet has two hinged doors that open out, so you won't need a curtain to block off the closet. Also, there are some purse hooks/scarf hooks/whatever else you can hang, on the back of the closet door.

-How many washers/dryers in the laundry room(s)?
There are 2 laundry rooms on the 11th floor (right across from my apartment!). They each have 4 washers and 4 dryers. The 2nd floor also has laundry rooms. I did not see them, but the housing rep said it's bigger than the 11th floor one. Also, I'm not sure if there are 1 or 2 laundry rooms on the 2nd floor.

-How much do the washers/dryers cost?

$1.50 for washer and $1.25 for dryer

-Are there overhead lights in the room, or is it all lamps we provide?

No, there are no overhead lights in the room. However, one standing lamp is provided in each room.

-Is there a full length mirror in the bathroom at all?

No full-length mirror. Bathroom is pretty small! In the 3 br eff, one bathroom has a shower and the other has a shower/bath.

I think you could probably put up a full-length mirror on your bedroom closet door.

Campus Amenities

-Pictures inside the gym? specifically the free weight area with benches/squat racks.

Unfortunately, I was not allowed to take pictures in the gym at all. However, it seemed pretty nice. There seem to be a good amount of machines, and the treadmills,etc. have TVs on each one.

There is a 30 min. limit on all cardio machines, though.

There is a spinning room, a basketball court, a lap pool, and raquetball courts, as well.

I'm not that familiar with weights but it seemed like a nice weight area. I wish I could have taken pictures for you all, since I'm not the best person to describe the gym amenities!

Answered Questions:
-How extensive (or not) is the cable TV package? ANSWERED.
http://tvlistings.aol.com/listings/dc/w ... code=20001

Some other notes and observations:

-Gewirz kitchens are so cute and tiny. There are 3 burners. No Dishwasher. The oven is small. There are a good amount of cabinets in the kitchen but I did not see any food pantry type closet in the apartment.

-In the rooms, you get furniture as follows:

1 couch chair

1 rolly (sp?) computer chair

1 desk. This desk is incredible. I believe it also functions as a dresser since there are no dressers. It does have two long drawers that would fit clothing well, plus normal desk drawers. It's very long. Above the dresser is a hutch mounted to the wall with shelf area that looks like it would fit books and ledge that would be good for picture framers, chotskies, etc.

1 standing lamp

1 bed with storage space

1 small bookshelf. It has one shelf, so there are two levels to store things
-I finally saw the replica Supreme Court room where the cases are mooted for the Supreme Court Institute. It really took my breath away. incredible.

-Met a really nice security guard! Really friendly. Would be happy to see him around in the fall!

-There is a lounge area on the 11th floor of Gewirz with a balcony that seemed really nice. Also, the ground floor has a "Stress Free Zone" lounge with ping pong tables, pool table, foozeball, and air hockey table, plus a big TV. It's open 24 hours.

-You can get into the gym and Hotung without going outside from Gewirz.

-The Student Life Office (in McDonough) sells discount movie tickets for $6 or $6.50, which is a really good deal. Also they have other offers, like baltimore aquarium tickets.

-There is a chapel in McDonough where they have Catholic mass on Sundays.

-There is a cafe (Courtside) in the building with the gym, but it was closed, so I couldn't get an idea of what kind of food it has.

-There is a cafeteria in McDonough. Prices seemed reasonable and food looked good! I took a lot of pictures in here, so you'll be able to get a better idea when you see those. They had a salad bar and grill station (all kinds of burgers, cheesesteak sandwiches, hot dogs, etc.). They have a sub station (reasonable prices. Only about $3 for half a sub and $5 for a whole). One of the stations had chicken parm and eggplant parm with pasta, brocolli, and garlic bread for about $6. Also, if you pay with your Go Card, you don't pay tax.

-The campus sells Coke products (woohoo!!!! I was so happy to find this out)

-The campus bookstore sells some daily necessities, like tylenol, toilet paper, etc.

-The library is pretty. There are also reading rooms, lounge areas to study, etc.

-There is a CVS (with grocery section) about 3/10 of a mile down the street. It had frozen foods (like lean pockets, stouffers, etc.), non perishables (easy mac and cheese, cereals, etc.), and snack foods. I took pictures here since it was close by. There was a sudden storm (that was surprisingly fierce. I come from FL where it storms all the day, and this one rivaled our storms), so my friend and I couldn't check out the Safeway. But there is one nearby too.

-China Town is within walking distance. It has a lot of good places to eat (I recommend Vapiano's. Cool and Trendy Italian place), plus stores (Bed Bath and Beyond, H&M, etc.). There is also a Regal Cinema, and the Verizon Center (sports teams and concerts).

-The Judiciary Square metro stop (redline) is closer than Union Station. However, it brings you past the soup kitchen/homeless shelter. A recent graduate told me that it's best to use Union Station metro stop at night, rather than Judiciary Square.

-There are lockers for your textbooks.

-The Bookstore had good sales on school gear. Got a nice Georgetown Law hoodie for 15 bucks!

-There are a lot of pretty courtyards and terraces that seem good for studying in the fall!

-The campus is very "green." They recycle in Gewirz. There was a recycling drop-off right near my room, where you can bring your recyclables (bottles and cans, and mixed paper).

-since they are remodeling Gewirz, no residents are currently living there. So all the rooms are open, and I got to see my actual apartment and room!! That was pretty cool.

-If you visit campus, first go to the Office of Admissions in McDonough and get a pass. That'll get you everywhere. The Office of Residence Life (to tour Gewirz) is on the first floor of Gewirz.

-I checked out the Target at Columbia Heights. Normal size super-target. It has two levels and a shopping cart escalator! That amused me. Also, in the same building are a Marshall's, Bed Bath and Beyond, and Best Buy. It's off of the Yellow Line, so it'd mean changing lines if you're coming from campus. (I did see someone get on the metro from this stop with groceries in one of those carts they sell, so it didn't seem too inconvenient).

That's all I can think of for now! If I think of more, I will post. Also, I'll probably get the pictures up tomorrow or the next day. I'll post the link here when that happens. Let me know if you have any questions, too!

Also, funny story:

So on Sunday, my friend and I were going to do free yoga in Georgetown (the shopping district) and then kayak on the potomac. So I wore a T-Shirt. Which happened to be my "Hoya Lawya" one from ASW! We stopped to eat at Georgetown Cupcake (fun fact: they're starting a TLC show "DC Cupcakes" about this place. Seriously, the line stretches outside of the bakery!), and the guy in front of me goes, "Oh, are you an incoming 1L? I just finished my first year and will be a 2L in the fall!" I told him I knew I was being dorky for wearing my shirt :) He seemed nice. Everyone from Georgetown that I've met so far seems very nice!

starrydecisus

Postby starrydecisus » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:17 pm

starrydecisus

Postby starrydecisus » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:22 pm

Also, metro prices went up on Sunday. But you do get a slight discount with your Smart Trip. Those Smart Trip cards are incredible! You can have it in your wallet, and all you have to do is touch your wallet to the logo and it'll work.

My best friend who lives in DC gave me a Smart Trip card for Christmas. She was really pushing for me to accept Georgetown haha.

js87

Postby js87 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:52 pm

Starry, thank you for all that awesome info! Glad the trip went so well. I'm really excited for DC.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:54 pm

starrydecisus wrote:
-The campus sells Coke products (woohoo!!!! I was so happy to find this out)

BOOOOOOOOOOO! BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Burberry by Burberry

Postby Burberry by Burberry » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:57 pm

Thanks for the all the details, starry! And,

D. H2Oman wrote:
starrydecisus wrote:-The campus sells Coke products (woohoo!!!! I was so happy to find this out)

BOOOOOOOOOOO! BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

^Can either of y'all explain this?^

What's so special about "Coke products?"

jnsjr

Postby jnsjr » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:58 pm

Section 1

Postby 02122015 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:58 pm

Last edited by 02122015 on Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tigrelis

Postby tigrelis » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:05 am

I am in Section 2! Why is everyone in section 1, I feel left out! But no Friday classes ever sounds good to me!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”