GULC c/o 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
js87

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby js87 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:38 pm

For everyone with a car: What are you going to do with it, especially if you're planning on living in Gewirz?

I'm from Florida, a place where you absolutely need a car to get around. I can't bring my car to DC. There's limited space in Gewirz for residential parking, plus I believe it's expensive, and there doesn't seem to be any need for a car in DC. I don't want to just leave it at my parents house in FL, where I'd have to make monthly payments as it rots away in the driveway.

But if I sell it, I'll have no way to get around when I come home. That might be OK when I visit for a weekend, but I'd definitely need a car for winter break, and for summer if I get a job/internship down here (or anywhere that you'd need a car, really). Anyone else in a similar predicament?

Postby 02122015 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:52 pm

Last edited by 02122015 on Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:00 pm

js87 wrote:For everyone with a car: What are you going to do with it, especially if you're planning on living in Gewirz?

I'm from Florida, a place where you absolutely need a car to get around. I can't bring my car to DC. There's limited space in Gewirz for residential parking, plus I believe it's expensive, and there doesn't seem to be any need for a car in DC. I don't want to just leave it at my parents house in FL, where I'd have to make monthly payments as it rots away in the driveway.

But if I sell it, I'll have no way to get around when I come home. That might be OK when I visit for a weekend, but I'd definitely need a car for winter break, and for summer if I get a job/internship down here (or anywhere that you'd need a car, really). Anyone else in a similar predicament?

Last week I traded in my expensive car and got a cheap (yet decent) one. It will sit here in my garage while I am at school. I got a really good trade in price and car price cause I told them why I was trading down.

Don't know if that will work for you.

js87

Postby js87 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:18 pm

Thanks for the input Unitas and MSPEast. That's basically what I'm considering doing. I've got a little equity in my car, but I'm not sure if it's enough to buy a decent used car in cash. I'll start looking around.

Sansei

Postby Sansei » Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:13 pm

js87 wrote:For everyone with a car: What are you going to do with it, especially if you're planning on living in Gewirz?

I've decided to bring my car. I've already submitted my app to park at Gewirz. It was one of the costs I factored in when deciding what kind of housing I wanted. I didn't want to leave it behind!

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:38 pm

Sansei wrote:

I've decided to bring my car. I've already submitted my app to park at Gewirz. It was one of the costs I factored in when deciding what kind of housing I wanted. I didn't want to leave it behind!

Where did you find the application to park there? I couldn't find it. How much is it? Lottery? Thanks in advance. I would consider bringing my car if there.

Sansei

Postby Sansei » Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:47 pm

Unitas wrote:
Sansei wrote:

Where did you find the application to park there? I couldn't find it. How much is it? Lottery? Thanks in advance. I would consider bringing my car if there.

http://www.law.georgetown.edu/reslife/d ... on2010.doc

This link is from the Office of Res Life website. It's pretty high at $805 per semester. They say there is limited parking so it seems like it might be a first come first serve policy as opposed to a lottery. You have to already be assigned a room in Gewirz and the applications are due July 31st.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:33 pm

Thanks for the parking link. I'll just save money and have safeway deliver my food and such. Here is a link to their personal shopping service: http://www.safeway.com/ifl/grocery/Shopping-Help. It isn't as costly as I thought it would be, and for those with roommates multiple orders would get the best deal.

I'll check out safeway when I am up there. I am going up the second weekend in July.

nowinGA

Postby nowinGA » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:08 pm

Unitas wrote:Thanks for the parking link. I'll just save money and have safeway deliver my food and such. Here is a link to their personal shopping service: http://www.safeway.com/ifl/grocery/Shopping-Help. It isn't as costly as I thought it would be, and for those with roommates multiple orders would get the best deal.

I'll check out safeway when I am up there. I am going up the second weekend in July.

I concur. I did grocery deliver in NYC and it is great. Totally worth it. I also had a car in DC. Totally not worth it. Zip car + Safeway for me!

scribelaw

Postby scribelaw » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:33 am

I'm waiting to hear on a badass studio in Dupont. Holding my breath. There were apparently several people who put in applications the same day.

Finding nice housing in DC is a pain -- culture shock coming from Florida, where vacancies are everywhere.

nowinGA

Postby nowinGA » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:56 pm

5) UPCOMING MAILINGS/REMINDERS
- The Office of the Registrar will be issuing information via e-mail regarding section assignments and first year schedules at the end of June.

So...that would be today or tomorrow, yeah?

Interminable_Waiting

Postby Interminable_Waiting » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:36 pm

nowinGA wrote:5) UPCOMING MAILINGS/REMINDERS
- The Office of the Registrar will be issuing information via e-mail regarding section assignments and first year schedules at the end of June.

I hope so!!!! I wanna know my Section/Classes!

dk8

Postby dk8 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:29 pm

where'd you see this?

nowinGA

Postby nowinGA » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:32 pm

dk8 wrote:

where'd you see this?

It's from that update email that came from Cornblatt way back when.

Burberry by Burberry

Postby Burberry by Burberry » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:53 pm

Interminable_Waiting wrote:

I hope so!!!! I wanna know my Section/Classes!

I do, too!! It don't think it will feel real until I get my schedule.

Rocketman11

Postby Rocketman11 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:01 pm

we should schedule a TLS meetup!

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:02 pm

Rocketman11 wrote:we should schedule a TLS meetup!

I agree!

Rocketman11

Postby Rocketman11 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:04 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:

I agree!

awesome. anyone want to vote no? your vote weight is based on your post count. so far we have over 20,000 yes votes

dk8

Postby dk8 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:06 pm

Rocketman11 wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:

I agree!

awesome. anyone want to vote no? your vote weight is based on your post count. so far we have over 20,000 yes votes

this effectively makes waterman dictator of the GULC thread

Rocketman11

Postby Rocketman11 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:13 pm

dk8 wrote:
Rocketman11 wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:

I agree!

this effectively makes waterman dictator of the GULC thread

i can veto him whenevs. but i approve of his dictatorship. like Ali Khamenei and Mahmoud Ahmadinejad

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:31 pm

Rocketman11 wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:

I agree!

I'm game. After school starts or now?

I'll be up there the 9th 10th and morning of the 11th and taking suggestions on what to do?

Interminable_Waiting

Postby Interminable_Waiting » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:31 pm

Section 1! Who's with me???

iamtaw

Postby iamtaw » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:34 pm

Interminable_Waiting wrote:Section 1! Who's with me???

me too!

volsi

Postby volsi » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:35 pm

Anxiously awaiting my email. Maybe it's alphabetical? My last name starts with K...

beef wellington

Postby beef wellington » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:36 pm

I got no email, but it's on the admitted students site.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”