GULC c/o 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
beef wellington

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby beef wellington » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:58 pm

Here are some interesting blawg posts about Curriculum B:

http://scoplaw.blogs.com/scoplaw/2005/02/section_3.html
http://scoplaw.blogs.com/scoplaw/2005/0 ... ght_c.html

/back to lurking till I'm off the SPWL

starrydecisus

Postby starrydecisus » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:09 pm

volsi wrote:
starrydecisus wrote:
Yeah, while I think the idea of B sounds awesome, I feel like it's not for me. I'm pretty traditional and rule-based. I think everyone should just think about which one fits their style better.

I've settled on A as well, but for a different reason. Because I'm a big dork, I decided to research where Curriculum B came from, what it taught, etc. Turns out a lot of the sources are subjects I spent a lot of time studying in undergrad. [My senior thesis was titled: The Location of Gender: The Unhomed Woman in Post-Colonial Ireland ] And while I really enjoyed all that, I don't want to spend any more time decoding secret messages in the texts I'm reading. The law is serpentine enough. So A it is. :)

That sounds like such an interesting thesis! I'm in an Irish Literature class, currently! Hey, maybe we'll be in the same section at GULC and we can talk about The Good Wife haha :)

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:14 pm

starrydecisus wrote:
volsi wrote:
starrydecisus wrote:
Yeah, while I think the idea of B sounds awesome, I feel like it's not for me. I'm pretty traditional and rule-based. I think everyone should just think about which one fits their style better.

I've settled on A as well, but for a different reason. Because I'm a big dork, I decided to research where Curriculum B came from, what it taught, etc. Turns out a lot of the sources are subjects I spent a lot of time studying in undergrad. [My senior thesis was titled: The Location of Gender: The Unhomed Woman in Post-Colonial Ireland ] And while I really enjoyed all that, I don't want to spend any more time decoding secret messages in the texts I'm reading. The law is serpentine enough. So A it is. :)

That sounds like such an interesting thesis! I'm in an Irish Literature class, currently! Hey, maybe we'll be in the same section at GULC and we can talk about The Good Wife haha :)

speaking of, since everyone says how amazing it is, i started watching it today! :)

i'm also going to let GULC do the matching.

starrydecisus

Postby starrydecisus » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:14 pm

gators88 wrote:
starrydecisus wrote:
Letting GULC do the matching. I know no one!!

Me too

Gators, I'm from Florida, as well (with family in New York). I don't know that I'm quite prepared for the weather change in DC, but it'll be fun!

By the way, I have pictures of rooms at dorms from the ASW in January. I'm not quite sure how to post pictures on here? If anyone is interested, PM me and I can email them to you.

starrydecisus

Postby starrydecisus » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:16 pm

Kim617 wrote:
starrydecisus wrote:
volsi wrote:
starrydecisus wrote:

speaking of, since everyone says how amazing it is, i started watching it today! :)

i'm also going to let GULC do the matching.

Yay! I'm sure you'll love it. It does a nice job of mixing interesting legal issues + good courtroom scenes + compelling back stories. Plus, Julianna Marguilies is an incredible actress! And all the shout-outs to GULC don't hurt :)

mrm2083

Postby mrm2083 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:23 pm

I'm from Florida too and the weather scares the hell out of me lol. Are you guys all on the C/O 2013 Facebook group? Where in Florida do you guys live, I wanna make some friends before I go to DC lol.

volsi

Postby volsi » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:26 pm

starrydecisus wrote:
Kim617 wrote:
starrydecisus wrote:That sounds like such an interesting thesis! I'm in an Irish Literature class, currently! Hey, maybe we'll be in the same section at GULC and we can talk about The Good Wife haha :)

Yay! I'm sure you'll love it. It does a nice job of mixing interesting legal issues + good courtroom scenes + compelling back stories. Plus, Julianna Marguilies is an incredible actress! And all the shout-outs to GULC don't hurt :)

I have to agree with this. The show is very well written. It's really fun to watch. And everyone on it dresses so well. I covet Alicia's suits and Kalinda's boots.
Even if we aren't in the same section, we should form a Good Wife watching club (seems like GULC doesn't have a problem with random clubs).

I wonder how they pick the rest of the sections besides B. Is it random or do they also do some matching? I'd like to be in a section with all Good Wife fans.

starrydecisus

Postby starrydecisus » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:51 pm

volsi wrote:
starrydecisus wrote:
Kim617 wrote:
starrydecisus wrote:That sounds like such an interesting thesis! I'm in an Irish Literature class, currently! Hey, maybe we'll be in the same section at GULC and we can talk about The Good Wife haha :)

I have to agree with this. The show is very well written. It's really fun to watch. And everyone on it dresses so well. I covet Alicia's suits and Kalinda's boots.
Even if we aren't in the same section, we should form a Good Wife watching club (seems like GULC doesn't have a problem with random clubs).

I wonder how they pick the rest of the sections besides B. Is it random or do they also do some matching? I'd like to be in a section with all Good Wife fans.

I like the way you think :)

Postby 02122015 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:11 pm

Last edited by 02122015 on Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:27 pm

starrydecisus wrote:
volsi wrote:
starrydecisus wrote:
Kim617 wrote:

I like the way you think :)

So I just finished the first episode, and I loved it! Definitely going to continue watching the rest.

Interminable_Waiting

Postby Interminable_Waiting » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:19 pm

Hey guys. I am finally home and have a real keyboard, so a few more thoughts.

I really enjoyed the quality of the faculty I met and listened to. I was particularly impressed with the woman who argued the Supreme Court case. If I attend Georgetown, I will definitely make a point to go and watch some of the Supreme Court moots.

The class I listened into was moderately interesting, and some of the students asked some asinine questions. The professor was very good in that class as well though.

The location of the campus is extraordinary. I am beyond excited to learn law literally blocks away from the Supreme Court and the Capitol building. I am worried abut getting a good internship at government agencies (having to compete with T6 schools will be tough) but I was partially swayed by some students' arguments that although Georgetown faces stiff competition during the summer, there are many internships available in the fall and spring, and Georgetown is the best school in town.

Kim is the only TLS person I saw for certain; I wonder who everyone else is.

I spoke with the blonde girl during dinner Thursday night, and she assured me that there was no beneficial or negative effect for those choosing Section 3 as it relates to biglaw, but that it might help slightly in getting public interest jobs. I am definitely very interested in it, but I am still a little concerned with choosing it. Has anyone else made up their minds that they are definitely choosing Section 3??

Georgetown ranks 7th among law schools for the quality of their student body, if one is only counting fulltime students. So that helps put into context the quality for those who were concerned with their classmates' abilities.

dancinginseptember

Postby dancinginseptember » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:32 pm

@ volsi, starrydecisus, and kim617,
I'm also starting to watch the Good Wife! lol yall made me very intrigued. 5 mins into pilot as i type. just heard, "so you graduated top of your class at Georgetown?"
excited for this new show - i appreciate the rec.

Postby 02122015 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:35 pm

Last edited by 02122015 on Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:47 pm

Interminable_Waiting wrote:

why didn't you introduce yourself?! i was hoping to recognize SOMEONE! :D

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:48 pm

MSPeast wrote:
Interminable_Waiting wrote:Hey guys. I am finally home and have a real keyboard, so a few more thoughts.

I really enjoyed the quality of the faculty I met and listened to. I was particularly impressed with the woman who argued the Supreme Court case. If I attend Georgetown, I will definitely make a point to go and watch some of the Supreme Court moots.

Nina Pillard
Interminable_Waiting wrote:The class I listened into was moderately interesting, and some of the students asked some asinine questions. The professor was very good in that class as well though.

Did the question involve a butterfly? And that prof was Jane Aiken. My friend was in that class while we were watching the telecast.

Definitely liked the professor of that class. She was good. I was able to follow along but found it a bit boring. It is torts after all.

Interminable_Waiting

Postby Interminable_Waiting » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:11 am

Kim617 wrote:

If we both end up there I will... If you think hard and do a bit of creepy stalking through my old posts you could figure it out, providing you have a decent memory.

I was occupied with keeping my GF happy and into moving to DC, so I didn't get to socialize as much as I would have (not that I am all that social anyway). She is onboard though, so all is well.

js87

Postby js87 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:38 am

mrm2083 wrote:I'm from Florida too and the weather scares the hell out of me lol. Are you guys all on the C/O 2013 Facebook group? Where in Florida do you guys live, I wanna make some friends before I go to DC lol.

I'm from Florida, too. There definitely seems to be a lot of Floridians going to GULC this year! I'm in the South FL area and joined the fb group as well.

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:34 am

Kim617 wrote:

If we both end up there I will... If you think hard and do a bit of creepy stalking through my old posts you could figure it out, providing you have a decent memory.

I was occupied with keeping my GF happy and into moving to DC, so I didn't get to socialize as much as I would have (not that I am all that social anyway). She is onboard though, so all is well.

did we talk? i only remember one couple being there, but maybe i wasn't paying enough attention. ha, this is like guess who. i guess i'll just find out if we both end up there :)

js87

Postby js87 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:21 pm

It's official! Just accepted my seat in the class of 2013 and I'm stoked. For those who have accepted via the scholarship response form (due April 1), did you get any confirmation from GULC?

phillygovteacher

Postby phillygovteacher » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:43 pm

Hey guys, been awhile since I've posted in this thread, but I attended the ASW and thought the presentations both days were excellent, especially the back and forth arguments during the Supreme Court case. Not sure if I met any of you there, but all of the prospective students who I talked to seemed very bright, cordial, and down-to-earth. This weekend definitely left me very ready to leave my job and begin law school right away! Luckily it's Spring Break in the School District of Philadelphia so I can delude myself into thinking that this is the case for a week.

I've started the dreaded apartment search and after extensive touring around the city Friday and Saturday, I've created a loose ranking of my neighborhood preferences, with Dupont Circle the current #1. Is anyone else considering the Dupont area at this point? And for all of the DC experts/residents here, is Dupont Circle good value or is my top pick overrated? Any other neighborhood suggestions that are decently priced/convenient to GULC/semi-interesting for people in their 20's/you yourself are considering?

mrm2083

Postby mrm2083 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:06 pm

Are any of you guys leaving significant others behind when you go to GULC next year? How do you plan on dealing with the long distance relationship?

Interminable_Waiting

Postby Interminable_Waiting » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:22 pm

mrm2083 wrote:Are any of you guys leaving significant others behind when you go to GULC next year? How do you plan on dealing with the long distance relationship?

Mine is planning on coming if she can find a job. If she finds one by the next month or so, then we will apartment hunt together. If not, then I will try to get a roommate, and let them know that my girlfriend will be joining us at some point.

Thats the plan for now.

starrydecisus

Postby starrydecisus » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:09 pm

mrm2083 wrote:Are any of you guys leaving significant others behind when you go to GULC next year? How do you plan on dealing with the long distance relationship?

I am :( And I'm not really sure.

Olivio Pastimante

Postby Olivio Pastimante » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:13 pm

Hi!

I am an international applicant and I am considering many top US law schools currently. I had Georgetown as my top choice originally, but was informed in another thread that "job prospects" at Georgetown are not very good compared to schools like NYU and Columbia. I am now having to rethink my list of schools. I was just wondering if those of you that chose to go to Georgetown faced a similar dilemma and, if so, what helped you overcome it and choose Georgetown. I am really interested in hearing about things related to "job prospects" specifically, but any help would be great.

Thanks!

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:16 pm

starrydecisus wrote:

I am :( And I'm not really sure.

I'm not. I couldn't be more excited to leave the all girls school (86% girls, 14% gay guys) I am currently at. Georgetown here I come! :D

Sorry to hijack this question, but it'll be nice to finally be in a classroom where someone else enjoys the NFL besides me.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”