GULC c/o 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
xcountryjunkie

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby xcountryjunkie » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:42 pm

tacitus33 wrote:Just curious - how's the apartment search going for everyone? I've been looking closer to campus (want to avoid a long commute, at least the first year) and not much luck so far.

I just signed a lease on a studio at 425 Mass, which I'm really happy about. Apartments seem to be more updated and cheaper than the other high-rises in walking distance of campus (plus the one month free rent is a nice kicker). You might want to look into it.

nowinGA

Postby nowinGA » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:15 am

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:24 pm

nowinGA wrote:http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/22/business/22law.html?th&emc=th

http://www.georgetownsba.com/2009/12/ne ... curve.html

They aren't doing that much (looking at the percent changes), and it doesn't apply to previous grades. I don't care that much about this. I kind of wish they didn't do it though - just because it makes them look bad. Harvard did the same thing by getting rid of grades and NYU did the same thing as Georgetown. Eventually they will all do it.

beef wellington

Postby beef wellington » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:41 pm

Unitas wrote:

They aren't doing that much (looking at the percent changes), and it doesn't apply to previous grades. I don't care that much about this. I kind of wish they didn't do it though - just because it makes them look bad. Harvard did the same thing by getting rid of grades and NYU did the same thing as Georgetown. Eventually they will all do it.

I'd say it definitely benefits us.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:44 pm

beef wellington wrote:
Unitas wrote:

I won't disagree that it will benefit some people (possibly me), but not all. Students who would have had As regardless are now competing with more students with As and so forth. In addition to that some employers may now look lower on all students with higher grades. Meaning a B to some employers will now be worth less at Georgetown, NYU, and so forth, but not other schools.

Bad publicity is bad. :)

Been looking for tickets to baseball games at the nationals. The tickets all appear cheap, gotta love a bad team. :)

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:51 pm

Unitas wrote:
beef wellington wrote:
Unitas wrote:

I won't disagree that it will benefit some people (possibly me), but not all. Students who would have had As regardless are now competing with more students with As and so forth. In addition to that some employers may now look lower on all students with higher grades. Meaning a B to some employers will now be worth less at Georgetown, NYU, and so forth, but not other schools.

Bad publicity is bad. :)

Been looking for tickets to baseball games at the nationals. The tickets all appear cheap, gotta love a bad team. :)

It's awesome, they are practically free!!

No comment on the new grading, I'll let the smarter people figure that out.

dk8

Postby dk8 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:52 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:It's awesome, they are practically free!!

5 dollars on gameday

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:00 pm

dk8 wrote:

5 dollars on gameday

:shock:

Wow, hopefully we can go to some games. I want to go with waterman - I gotta see how he is IRL.

That is cheaper than my local MiLB team.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:01 pm

Unitas wrote:
dk8 wrote:

5 dollars on gameday

Wow, hopefully we can go to some games. I want to go with waterman - I gotta see how he is IRL.

I'm in anytime!

My local(ish) is Boston, 7X8 times that and you'll be standing.

dk8

Postby dk8 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:01 pm

Unitas wrote:
dk8 wrote:

5 dollars on gameday

The stadium is nice as well. Nobody goes unless strasburg is starting.

Postby 02122015 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:12 pm

Last edited by 02122015 on Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:42 pm

MSPeast wrote:I love going to MLB games. Too bad my team is AL and hardly visits DC. But $5 is amazing. Count me in!

Only MLB team I care anything about is the Phillies and they play in DC often.

By AL you mean American League right? What team is yours? I don't know much about baseball so excuse any mistakes I may make.

As an aside, who the heck is Justin Bieber? Why do people like him? I thought it was a girl when it came on the radio...

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:45 pm

Unitas wrote:As an aside, who the heck is Justin Bieber? Why do people like him? I thought it was a girl when it came on the radio...

Only the best current pop singer!!

don't judge me

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:45 pm

*Insert comment about housing*
Last edited by D. H2Oman on Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Interminable_Waiting

Postby Interminable_Waiting » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:06 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:
Unitas wrote:As an aside, who the heck is Justin Bieber? Why do people like him? I thought it was a girl when it came on the radio...

Only the best current pop singer!!

don't judge me

For the taste in music... or the double post??

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:07 pm

Interminable_Waiting wrote:For the taste in music... or the double post??

Don't know what you're talking about man!

Interminable_Waiting

Postby Interminable_Waiting » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:10 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:

Well played. No judgement on either, btw.

I can't decide whether to work or scour Craigslist...

dk8

Postby dk8 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:14 pm

Interminable_Waiting wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:

you shouldn't look for prostitutes at work man

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:43 pm

dk8 wrote:
Interminable_Waiting wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:

you shouldn't look for prostitutes at work man

Where should you look then???

On MyAccess there are some new options and it shows us what year we are, but alas we still can't tell our section. :( If you try and sign up for classes you have to accept financial responsibility or something so I didn't go there as I didn't know what it entails (Like does it mean I can't withdraw or something). If you click yes you may see what section you are in. So if anyone does that let us know.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:45 pm

Unitas wrote:On MyAccess there are some new options and it shows us what year we are, but alas we still can't tell our section. :( If you try and sign up for classes you have to accept financial responsibility or something so I didn't go there as I didn't know what it meant. If you click yes you may see what section you are in. So if anyone does that let us know.

I didn't know what it meant either, but I clicked through anyways, got some sort of error message, I think it was something to the effect of "you can't do this now"

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:49 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:
Unitas wrote:On MyAccess there are some new options and it shows us what year we are, but alas we still can't tell our section. :( If you try and sign up for classes you have to accept financial responsibility or something so I didn't go there as I didn't know what it meant. If you click yes you may see what section you are in. So if anyone does that let us know.

I didn't know what it meant either, but I clicked through anyways, got some sort of error message, I think it was something to the effect of "you can't do this now"

I figured you'd be the one to do it. :)

Our e-mails still don't work.

Postby 02122015 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:49 pm

Last edited by 02122015 on Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

volsi

Postby volsi » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:16 am

Justin Bieber...
back when I was working at Apple I was assigned a lady and her 12 year old daughter. I helped them - they'd just bought a new computer and it wasn't working. It was a problem with the sound. I needed to test it and put on the first song in iTunes. It was Justin Bieber, who I had heard of but didn't know his music. I said "Wow, sounds like a girl singing," was corrected that it was this Beiber dude and continued troubleshooting the computer. The lady was really pushy and mean, so I eventually decided to exchange their 1 week old broken computer for a new one. Handed them off to a cashier, done deal.

Later on I hear the lady complained to everyone but the manager that I was extremely rude and I had insulted her daughter. She went on and on how I shouldn't be allowed to be so nasty to customers. My offense? Claiming Justin Beiber sounded like girl.

scribelaw

Postby scribelaw » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:20 pm

volsi wrote:Justin Bieber...
back when I was working at Apple I was assigned a lady and her 12 year old daughter. I helped them - they'd just bought a new computer and it wasn't working. It was a problem with the sound. I needed to test it and put on the first song in iTunes. It was Justin Bieber, who I had heard of but didn't know his music. I said "Wow, sounds like a girl singing," was corrected that it was this Beiber dude and continued troubleshooting the computer. The lady was really pushy and mean, so I eventually decided to exchange their 1 week old broken computer for a new one. Handed them off to a cashier, done deal.

Later on I hear the lady complained to everyone but the manager that I was extremely rude and I had insulted her daughter. She went on and on how I shouldn't be allowed to be so nasty to customers. My offense? Claiming Justin Beiber sounded like girl.

You were credited.

starrydecisus

Postby starrydecisus » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:37 pm

I've missed everyone!

Just got back from an epic 3-day trip to the Bahamas, Atlantis Resort. Swimming with dolphins + seeing Taylor Swift sing in a ballroom = win. Real life is so boring now!

Oh! I almost lost my housing because I forgot to send the occupancy form! It was very scary. Brandon from housing helped a lot!

And then, they had an opening in the 3 bedroom efficiency which was my first choice, so they offered it to me. So, now I'm on the 11th floor! I remember someone else was on the 11th floor here??

I can't wait to find out our sections!

Going to DC on Sat. Yippee!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”