GULC c/o 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
jml8756

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby jml8756 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:19 pm

For those of you who are starting to tackle the immunizations task, here's a little tip. G-Town will accept a form that has been filled out previously for another purpose, as long as it's attached to their form. So if you're all up-to-date on your shots, all you need to do is send a request to your undergrad health services for your immunizations record, then forward it to Georgetown attached to their own form. I faxed a request to my undergrad, and they faxed the record back the next day. Now it's off to Walgreens for a $20 TB test and I'll be all set.

Postby 02122015 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:17 pm

Last edited by 02122015 on Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

volsi

Postby volsi » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:42 pm

dk8 wrote:
scribelaw wrote:Anyone doing off-campus housing, and having luck finding a nice studio?

I really want something in walking distance, or else a short Metro ride preferably on the red line...I visited one that was really nice between GULC and Chinatown, but it is $1,600 and includes no utilities.

I'm goin off-campus. Seein some nice deals on CL for the sunroom in the Meridian (very close to GULC from what I understand). Wondering how small it is.

Apparently you can fit a bed and desk. That's it. No closets.

Torvon

Postby Torvon » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:58 am

nax425 wrote:
Unitas wrote:
nax425 wrote:FINAID question: What happens after we've done everything they wanted, accepted awards, and sent in the blue form?

For me nothing has happened, except I received a letter saying my credit has been approved.

Did you do both the MPN's? and the GradPlus loan application?

Yes, I even think I signed an additional MPN unnecessarily. Oops! And I got the credit letter, too. Any guesses as to when we get contacted again and the loans disburse? Before Tuition is due, I assume?

Which credit letter is this you speak of? The email that the studentloans.gov site sent out or did you get a physical letter from them?

Postby 02122015 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:17 am

Torvon

Postby Torvon » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:36 am

MSPeast wrote:
Torvon wrote:
Which credit letter is this you speak of? The email that the studentloans.gov site sent out or did you get a physical letter from them?

I got a paper letter in the mail about a week after doing the credit check that said my credit check was approved.

This is the same credit check that notified you instantly whether or not you qualified as well? If not I must be missing a credit check because I don't remember getting a letter....

Interminable_Waiting

Postby Interminable_Waiting » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:52 am

MSPeast wrote:
Torvon wrote:

I got a paper letter in the mail about a week after doing the credit check that said my credit check was approved.

I got this as well.

mb88

Postby mb88 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:24 pm

I have a question for the more in-the-know people:

I have applied for Gradplus loans for Georgetown and have accepted a Dean's (need based) financial aid grant. Was doing those two things (particularly accepting the grant) binding for me? As in I have to withdraw from all of my waitlists? Or could I theoretically get accepted off a waitlist and have my Gradplus changed from GULC to elsewhere?

Thanks in advance. This is really important for me to know. And soon.

volsi

Postby volsi » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:55 pm

So...

does anyone want to be roommates with me? I'm nice, responsible, clean and incredibly well organized. and I want a nice place on capitol hill. PM me, yo.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:29 pm

mb88 wrote:I have a question for the more in-the-know people:

I have applied for Gradplus loans for Georgetown and have accepted a Dean's (need based) financial aid grant. Was doing those two things (particularly accepting the grant) binding for me? As in I have to withdraw from all of my waitlists? Or could I theoretically get accepted off a waitlist and have my Gradplus changed from GULC to elsewhere?

Read the contract??? The merit based scholarships are binding and explicitly say so to accept them. Did you have to pay the deposits?? If you didn’t I would assume it was binding, but call and ask them if you have any questions or re-read the contract sent to you that you signed and sent in to accept.

PS sorry if that comes across as harsh I don’t mean it too.

The Good Wife last night was good, not great, but good. The first two were better. Sex scene at end seemed out of place.

I traded in my really expensive car today and got a cheaper one. So proud of myself.

Burberry by Burberry

Postby Burberry by Burberry » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:45 pm

Unitas wrote:

Read the contract??? The merit based scholarships are binding and explicitly say so to accept them. Did you have to pay the deposits?? If you didn’t I would assume it was binding, but call and ask them if you have any questions or re-read the contract sent to you that you signed and sent in to accept.

Unitas, mb88 was asking about the need-based grant, not the merit-based scholarship.

mb88, I think you can withdraw from GULC after accepting the grant and applying for GradPlus, but I'm not certain.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:54 pm

Burberry by Burberry wrote:
Unitas wrote:

Unitas, mb88 was asking about the need-based grant, not the merit-based scholarship.

mb88, I think you can withdraw from GULC after accepting the grant and applying for GradPlus, but I'm not certain.

I know. I didn't know about the grant in detail though (I received the merit based scholarship), but wasn't there a contract involved with it too? I should have elaborated on my post more. Been a really busy day and I rushed the post. Figured it came out wrong.

mb88

Postby mb88 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:07 pm

Unitas wrote:
Unitas wrote:

I know. I didn't know about the grant in detail though (I received the merit based scholarship), but wasn't there a contract involved with it too? I should have elaborated on my post more. Been a really busy day and I rushed the post. Figured it came out wrong.

Don't worry about it. :lol:

I did read the contract, over and over. It doesn't seem to say either way whether or not I have the option of withdrawing once I sign and accept it. This would seem to indicate that I can withdraw should I ever want to...but the risk is too great to not know for 100% certain. I'm just worried that if I don't withdraw from all my waitlists, or if I get accepted off one and decide to go for, that I might fuck everything up and get kicked out of GULC as well as wherever else. That's why I ask, if anybody else has had any experience with this thing.

I've already shot an email off to GULC about it. Just a polite note asking if accepting the Dean's Grant obligates me to withdraw from all other schools/waitlists. Hopefully they'll get back to me soon.

scribelaw

Postby scribelaw » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:32 pm

nax425 wrote:
scribelaw wrote:Anyone doing off-campus housing, and having luck finding a nice studio?

I really want something in walking distance, or else a short Metro ride preferably on the red line...I visited one that was really nice between GULC and Chinatown, but it is $1,600 and includes no utilities.

Avalon at Gallery Place if you want something in Chinatown. I opted for Dupont. Much more affordable studios if ur willing to forgo amenities like dishwasher or washer/dryer in unit. You can get something in Dupont (or even Kalorama if ur willing to walk) for 1100-1300. Also, look near Thomas Circle/Downtown. Belvedere is a good building.

Yeah, I'd really like to have a W/D in unit. I did notice a lot of the places in Dupont don't have that...Although I love the area...I saw one unit in a building called Archstone that was nice, but it was $1,750 and had no washer/dryer.

What building did you do?

Avalon does look nice, but it's $1,710 and up for studios. I called and they said they're not doing any specials.

The student budget on the GTown site lists $1,150 for rent and $160 for utilities. Not particularly realistic for a decent place in the city.

Burberry by Burberry

Postby Burberry by Burberry » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:45 pm

scribelaw wrote:The student budget on the GTown site lists $1,150 for rent and $160 for utilities. Not particularly realistic for a decent place in the city.

A GULC financial aid counselor told me at ASW that the housing budget can be increased by as much as 50% to $1,725/month. If you're want to live alone in D.C. this fall, you'll probably need a budget increase.
Last edited by Burberry by Burberry on Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

scribelaw

Postby scribelaw » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:48 pm

scribelaw wrote:The student budget on the GTown site lists $1,150 for rent and $160 for utilities. Not particularly realistic for a decent place in the city.

A GULC financial aid counselor told me at ASW that the housing budget can be increased 50% to $1,725/month. If you're want to live alone in D.C. this fall, you'll probably need the budget increase.

Wow. I did not know that. That's nice.

dk8

Postby dk8 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:09 pm

volsi wrote:
dk8 wrote:

I'm goin off-campus. Seein some nice deals on CL for the sunroom in the Meridian (very close to GULC from what I understand). Wondering how small it is.

Apparently you can fit a bed and desk. That's it. No closets.

daaaaamn. i'm very low maintenence when it comes to what i need in a room. i've never even had a TV in my room. but i'm not tryin to have clothes stacked up everywhere.

starrydecisus

Postby starrydecisus » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:58 pm

MSPeast wrote:
jml8756 wrote:For those of you who are starting to tackle the immunizations task, here's a little tip. G-Town will accept a form that has been filled out previously for another purpose, as long as it's attached to their form. So if you're all up-to-date on your shots, all you need to do is send a request to your undergrad health services for your immunizations record, then forward it to Georgetown attached to their own form. I faxed a request to my undergrad, and they faxed the record back the next day. Now it's off to Walgreens for a $20 TB test and I'll be all set.

Yeah, I have to go in on Friday to see someone about a Varicella immunity test - turns out that my mom never took me to the clinic when I had it since she was from a big family and had seen it so many times. Meanwhile, I'm having my campus clinic send my immunization records to the place I'm having the Varicella test done, and that clinic will be able to finish the form.

So if we had the chicken pox (i.e. varicella) as a child but don't have a medical record of it, we have to get an immunity test? Do you know what this test is like? And the TB Test? DO THEY INVOLVE NEEDLES?!! :shock:

Edit: Okay, I read through the form again. So, if we don't fall under those 6 categories, we do not need this TB test?
Last edited by starrydecisus on Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:01 pm

starrydecisus wrote:
MSPeast wrote:
jml8756 wrote:For those of you who are starting to tackle the immunizations task, here's a little tip. G-Town will accept a form that has been filled out previously for another purpose, as long as it's attached to their form. So if you're all up-to-date on your shots, all you need to do is send a request to your undergrad health services for your immunizations record, then forward it to Georgetown attached to their own form. I faxed a request to my undergrad, and they faxed the record back the next day. Now it's off to Walgreens for a $20 TB test and I'll be all set.

Yeah, I have to go in on Friday to see someone about a Varicella immunity test - turns out that my mom never took me to the clinic when I had it since she was from a big family and had seen it so many times. Meanwhile, I'm having my campus clinic send my immunization records to the place I'm having the Varicella test done, and that clinic will be able to finish the form.

So if we had the chicken pox (i.e. varicella) as a child but don't have a medical record of it, we have to get an immunity test? Do you know what this test is like? And the TB Test? DO THEY INVOLVE NEEDLES?!! :shock:

The TB test involves a nice big needle :cry:

starrydecisus

Postby starrydecisus » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:20 pm

wait but you only need the skin test if you meet any one of these, right?

You will need a tuberculin skin test (PPD-Mantoux test) regardless of BCG vaccination, if you meet any of the following conditions:

1. You are a health professions student (Medical or GEMS). Medical and GEMS students require a 2-step test.

2. You have signs or symptoms of active tuberculosis as determined by your healthcare provider.

3. You have a chronic medical condition such as diabetes, renal failure, HIV infection, leukemia or lymphoma or other serious condition as determined by your healthcare provider.
4. You were born in, lived in or traveled for more than 6 weeks in any country not on this list: USA, Albania, American Samoa, Andorra,
Antigua, Barbuda, Australia, Austria, Barbados, Belgium, Bermuda, Virgin Islands (British and US), Canada, Cayman, Chile, Cook
Islands, Costa Rica, Cuba, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominica, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Grenada, Hungary,
Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Jordan, Lebanon, Libya, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Montserrat, Netherlands and Antilles,
New Zealand, Norway, Oman, Puerto Rico, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, Samoa, San Marino, Slovakia, Slovenia, Sweden, Switzerland,
Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands, UAE, UK.

5. You have worked or resided in settings such as nursing homes, homeless shelters, long-term hospital residential facilities, prisons, or
have injected drugs in the past.

6. You have had close contact with someone with infectious tuberculosis.

starrydecisus

Postby starrydecisus » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:20 pm

just found my records. Last got Tetanus July 2000, which means I'll have to get it again since it'll be 10 years. I HATE SHOTS!!!! :(

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:39 pm

starrydecisus wrote:just found my records. Last got Tetanus July 2000, which means I'll have to get it again since it'll be 10 years. I HATE SHOTS!!!! :(

Man I really need to get all this stuff together. I hope I don't need any shots.... :|

js87

Postby js87 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:42 pm

starrydecisus wrote:just found my records. Last got Tetanus July 2000, which means I'll have to get it again since it'll be 10 years. I HATE SHOTS!!!! :(

Same here! Apparently I haven't had a tetanus shot since '96, so I made an appointment to get one next week. Good thing I haven't stepped on any rusty nails.

Postby 02122015 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:54 pm

jml8756

Postby jml8756 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:30 pm

I think the TB test is one of the more tolerable ones - it involves a needle but it just goes under the first layer of skin. Tetanus is the worst - the needle goes deep and it makes your arm all sore and achy.

I've had a lot of experience requesting medical records for my job. Some places, especially large hospitals, are really bogged down with requests and have a lot of bureaucracy. If you're worried about how long it will take, I would suggest calling and making friends with whoever the records person is. Be nice and tell them it's for school and you're on a bit of a time crunch. And since immunization records are fairly brief, they should just be able to fax it to you.

also: YAY BLACKHAWKS!!!!!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”