GULC c/o 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
SDWaterBaby

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby SDWaterBaby » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:45 pm

No love for Arrested Development/Always Sunny/Curb Your Enthusiasm? Those of you who like How I Met Your Mother and Big Bang Theory would probably like those too^

nowinGA

Postby nowinGA » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:51 pm

volsi wrote:
I watched Ally McBeal from the very beginning. Love it. I wanted to be Portia De Rossi. Sadly, I am short and brunette. And please, you are not too old. I was hanging out with an 80 year old last week. (She's awesome)

+ 1 on
Burn Notice. I've enjoyed House, but not on a regular basis. and I grew up on Law and Order. My favorites were the Angie Harmon years. Least favorite - that bland blonde lady.

also:
True Blood
What Not To Wear (makes me want to buy shoes)
Biggest Loser (makes me want to work out)
Community - the best thing on network tv besides the Good Wife. Watch the Paintball Episode and be blown away.
Chelsea Lately
Hoarders ( makes me want to clean)
Big Love (except for season 4)
Top Chef, Project Runway, any show that teaches me how to dress better

Stuff that's ended that I liked:
Six Feet Under
Daria (just got the DVD)
others, I am sure.

I have been watching the Ally McBeal box set. Re-remembering how brilliant it was...on so many levels. One of my college professors...as super-feminist type, did this big project on Ally McBeal...and how so many so-called feminists "opposed" it...but yet she found it quite smart.

Are you referring to Serena, as the bland blonde one? While I like all versions...I will agree she was NOT the greatest. I was just getting used to and starting to like Linus whats-his-face (the new Jack McCoy) and now it's canceled. Boo. I don't think any "team" beats Stabler and Benson. Even going way back. I was a bit partial to Jesse L. Martin. On both Ally AND Law and Order. Good times.

My sister and I were saying recently we would love to buy the DVDs of Cheers. Such a great show. I remember spending summer break watching marathons of it when I was in 6th grade.

Postby 02122015 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:51 pm

Last edited by 02122015 on Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:58 pm

SDWaterBaby wrote:No love for Arrested Development/Always Sunny/Curb Your Enthusiasm? Those of you who like How I Met Your Mother and Big Bang Theory would probably like those too^

A lot of my friends told me I would love these shows, I just haven't gotten into them or ever watched an episode.

Arrested Development was great, but it isn't on anymore so I didn't list it as I don't DVR it. Same goes for Ally McBeal. I liked them, but don't often watch them.

volsi

Postby volsi » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:40 pm

nowinGA wrote:
I have been watching the Ally McBeal box set. Re-remembering how brilliant it was...on so many levels. One of my college professors...as super-feminist type, did this big project on Ally McBeal...and how so many so-called feminists "opposed" it...but yet she found it quite smart.

Are you referring to Serena, as the bland blonde one? While I like all versions...I will agree she was NOT the greatest. I was just getting used to and starting to like Linus whats-his-face (the new Jack McCoy) and now it's canceled. Boo. I don't think any "team" beats Stabler and Benson. Even going way back. I was a bit partial to Jesse L. Martin. On both Ally AND Law and Order. Good times.

My sister and I were saying recently we would love to buy the DVDs of Cheers. Such a great show. I remember spending summer break watching marathons of it when I was in 6th grade.

love the new avatar! You finally have one and it's epic!

Yeah, I was referring to Serena. She just bored me to death. and yeah, Stabler and Benson is pretty epic. I always get so sucked into to all the Law and Orders, regardless of which one, when or how. I really enjoyed a recent Criminal Intent featuring murderous hipsters in a loft. As I live in Williamsburg, I like to see hipsters getting theirs. Fictionally, of course.

Jesse L. Martin has always been great. My first experience with him; Rent. I was 13.

starrydecisus

Postby starrydecisus » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:51 pm

Before I decided to make my avatar Alicia Florrick, I considered Olivia Benson!!! Lots of love for Benson and Stabler (Liv and El <3 ) on this end. Love SVU.

Others:
LOST
Glee
Hell's Kitchen
Top Chef

Did anyone watch Shark when it was on? Haha loved that show. The man had a courtroom in the basement of his house. Want.

iamtaw

Postby iamtaw » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:09 am

this is awesome. i just love tv.

some of my favs off the top of my head:

extras
the wire
the west wing
how i met your mother
30 rock
arrested development
the office
lost (i started after the finale, just finished season 1)

i don't know if miniseries count, but i just watched john adams and i'll start band of brothers after lost.

also been watching hitchcock movies recently, great stuff (somehow i'd never seen any of this work til this summer)

gotta love netflix.

tigrelis

Postby tigrelis » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:57 am

Last edited by tigrelis on Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

starrydecisus

Postby starrydecisus » Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:04 pm

For those who want to catch The Good Wife this summer (Unitas!)

--Episode 2 "Stripped" is airing this SUNDAY at 9:00 p.m. eastern time on CBS
--Episode 3 "Home" will air at the regular time on Tuesday (10:00 p.m.)

volsi

Postby volsi » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:49 pm

So we've talked about TV, how about books?

I am making a project this summer of rereading a lot of my favorites and some classics as well.

So; here are some of my favorite novels:
Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood
Special Topics in Calamity Physics by Marisha Pessl
Of Human Bondage by W. Somerset Maugham
The Emperor's Children by Claire Messud
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott. Fitzgerald
Freddy and Fredericka by Mark Helprin
All the King's Men by Robert Penn Warren

Non Fiction: The Shock Doctrine, The Power Broker, 722 Miles, Discipline and Punish, The Number (I know tons about the gang system in South African prisons now)

What do you guys like to read? Any recommendations? I've got all the time in the world.

beef wellington

Postby beef wellington » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:58 pm

volsi wrote:So we've talked about TV, how about books?

I am making a project this summer of rereading a lot of my favorites and some classics as well.

Non Fiction: The Shock Doctrine, The Power Broker, 722 Miles, Discipline and Punish, The Number (I know tons about the gang system in South African prisons now)

What do you guys like to read? Any recommendations? I've got all the time in the world.

My all-time favorites are Gatsby, The Brothers Karamazov, and Infinite Jest.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:43 pm

Due to time concerns in my life I don’t read books as much as I want. I rarely read for pleasure right now except a few choice books – political in nature.

My favorite author of all time is old Anne Rice. If you have time read any old books of Anne Rice. They are gripping.

Second episode of The Good Wife tonight; I’m excited.

I faxed my immunization form and housing agreement form today - it didn’t feel like signing a lease.

dk8

Postby dk8 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:47 pm

Unitas wrote:

Due to time concerns in my life I don’t read books as much as I want. I rarely read for pleasure right now except a few choice books – political in nature.

My favorite author of all time is old Anne Rice. If you have time read any old books of Anne Rice. They are gripping.

Second episode of The Good Wife tonight; I’m excited.

I faxed my immunization form and housing agreement form today - it didn’t feel like signing a lease.

Internet reading has replaced book reading for me. I'd like to get back into reading books for pleasure, but with LS on the horizon it's probably not in the cards.

cavortingbeastie

Postby cavortingbeastie » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:49 pm

beef wellington wrote:

My all-time favorites are Gatsby, The Brothers Karamazov, and Infinite Jest.

Yes! Some Russian lit! I'm a huge Russian lit fan! Anna K was the first book that really made me sit and think about life. I also love Crime and Punishment and most anything Chekhov did. I'm also pretty into the horror genre i.e. Jackon's The Haunting of Hill House and James' The Turn of the Screw.

I'm not sure if this counts, but there are some great graphic novels and comics out there. Maus is really fantastic, and The Sandman series is great too.

starrydecisus

Postby starrydecisus » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:45 pm

I also love reading but unfortunately don't always make time for it, something I've been trying to do lately, even if it's just a couple pages before I go to sleep.

My all-time favorite book is Les Miserables by Victor Hugo. It played a starring role in my personal statement. I fell in love with the musical (anyone else like Broadway/theatre?) first and then was determined to read the book. Both are amazing!

Currently reading Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell and enjoying it.

Favorite Childhood series was L.M. Montgomery's Anne of Green Gables.

Also, my favorite "fluff" reading (when I don't want to think) is an Irish author--Cecilia Ahern.

Rifka

Postby Rifka » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:53 pm

I am also going to try to do a lot of reading this summer. My last day of work is in 9 days so I figure I'll have some time to read books while relaxing on the beach or on the plane ride to visit my parents in California. I'm going to check out some of these suggestions!

nax425

Postby nax425 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:10 pm

currently enjoying culture of corruption by michelle malkin... and just finished never let me go by kazuo ishiguro - SO sad. but good. good summer read!

juleesong

Postby juleesong » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:46 pm

Is there parking for students? (For people who live in and want to commute from VA or MD)

Postby 02122015 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:14 pm

Last edited by 02122015 on Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:49 am

juleesong wrote:Is there parking for students? (For people who live in and want to commute from VA or MD)

There is a lottery (or has been in the past) to determine the students that get a parking spot in the school's garage. I don't know if it is only for dorm students, non-dorm students, or everyone.
http://www.law.georgetown.edu/parking/parking.html

McDonough Hall doesn't mention anything about regular student parking or the lottery...
http://www.law.georgetown.edu/parking/mcdonough.html

There is also parking on the side of the street around the school, but I believe that is hard to get.

This website has a vast array of information for daily and monthly parking, I don't know how accurate it is:
http://washingtondc.bestparking.com/index.php#1

Also, some clinics give you access to the parking garage if you work with them and need a car to do your work. I wouldn't pick clinics based on this alone, but if you had two you equally wanted to do this could decide it for you after 1L.

But I would suggest taking the train. Union Station is only a five minute walk from the campus (probably closer than a parking garage that has decent rates) and will give you time to study while riding in.

MSPeast wrote:Not sure how to go about my immunization form

Are you over 26?? If so you don't have to do anything, but sign the forms. Before I knew this I requested my records from my UG and they gave them to me.

I didn't read the form in depth after I knew I didn't have to do it, so I don't know the specifics of what it asks.

nax425

Postby nax425 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:43 am

Anyone else find it absurd that we are required to have a certain kind of health insurance? It's none of GULC's business whether we're covered or not, or what type of coverage we have. I'm going to try and gey my own (cheaper) plan. 1800/yr better be some fabulous insurance. I'd rather just take my chances...

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:27 am

nax425 wrote:Anyone else find it absurd that we are required to have a certain kind of health insurance? It's none of GULC's business whether we're covered or not, or what type of coverage we have. I'm going to try and gey my own (cheaper) plan. 1800/yr better be some fabulous insurance. I'd rather just take my chances...

I believe all law schools require health insurance and most grad schools do. The minimum health insurance limits they set are really low of 100,000 per illness and 100,000 per accident and you can get it cheap - just get a catastrophic plan that only pays anything after you hit 5,000 dollars or so. "Make sure whatever plan you decide on works for them or you can use theirs."

nax425

Postby nax425 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:55 am

Yes, but my school shouldn't be my insurance broker. I don't understand why they require it at all or why its the norm. Oh well...just another hoop to jump through.

Postby 02122015 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:42 am

Last edited by 02122015 on Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

starrydecisus

Postby starrydecisus » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:09 pm

The immunization records are due July 1?

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”