GULC c/o 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
User avatar
beef wellington
Posts: 882
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:05 am

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby beef wellington » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:59 am

MSPeast wrote:
hannah87 wrote:
Interminable_Waiting wrote:Congrats on the acceptance. I think I will post in this thread for a while so as not to upset the ppl who were just rejected. The ASD was pretty awesome, and I am 90% sure that Georgetown is where I am going. I will post some reactions when I get back to my computer (the iPhone is a trial to type on without majorly screwing up words). Post or PM questions about the ASD and I will be happy to answer them, as I'm sure will others.


nooo, we're getting in NYU! :wink:

Interminable_Waiting wrote:That is the 10%.

That is basically my deal, too. I'm just waiting for NYU and Chicago to WL me, as suggested by my numbers, and I'm gonna be at GULC.

You won't ride the WLs?

02122015
Posts: 5317
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:57 pm

.

Postby 02122015 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:07 am

.
Last edited by 02122015 on Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nax425
Posts: 182
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:14 am

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby nax425 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:08 am

Just rejected at NYU. Thinking Gtown may be my new home for the next three yrs! Not planning on attending any ASWs. Does anyone know if I should expect anything else in the mail besides the small two page letter I received letting me know I was admitted? It's been a couple of weeks and I've only since received an email or two from the Dean of Admissions.

nax425
Posts: 182
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:14 am

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby nax425 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:11 am

MSPeast wrote:I didn't realize all the post-ASW chat was going on over here - I keep peeking at the not-moving ASW thread and was surprised that nobody was saying anything.

Anyway, I stayed in Gewirz with a friend from undergrad who is a 1L with a single room. Here are some various comments I have about Gewirz, from my brief stay:
- I've visted a few people in grad school who all live in big apartment buildings. So far, Gewirz has by far had the fastest elevators.
- You can tell it's a bit dated from the '90s, but hopefully the renovation this summer will address that. Nothing major, really, it's more cosmetic stuff, like green carpeting and white doors.
- The windows open! This was not the case in my undergrad dorm.
- There are trash chutes and recycling drop-offs on each floor.
- There are laundry rooms on only two floors of the building, but I didn't see them personally, so I don't know if they're really big or if they run into peak-demand capacity issues.
- In case anyone cares, the main entrance faces the north, to McDonough.
- They post a list of the daily events in the elevators, including any make-up classes, which apparently can happen on Saturdays at 10 in the morning. Yikes.
- Nothing was in disrepair - nothing that anyone cares about, anyway.
- The shower was fine; I guess the shower head could have used a cleaning, but I was on an upper floor and the pressure and temperature were fine. You get hot water basically right away, too. The bathroom was actually pretty roomy, but this could vary by room.
- The room had a dishwasher, in case anyone was wondering.
- The cable comes with premium channels (at least the HBO block, anyway). Since utilities are included, I'm presuming that everyone has the same cable package.
- The top floor (12) has a wrap-around balcony, and has party rooms and the like.
- Floors are generally a mix of room types, but not every floor has every type of room. The floor I was on had single-unit efficiencies, two-room efficiencies, and standard two-room places (with living areas), for example.
- You have to swipe your GoCard (I think that's the name...) to get in to most places. IMO, this should really be a smart card by now. I saw some people have to swipe their cards several times to get it to work.
- Room keys are those strange "punch-card" plastic ones, which is really old technology.
- My friend gets his groceries by having Safeway deliver them. There is also a shopping shuttle a few times a week (or is it weekly?) that you can use.
- My tour guide told us that all of the 1Ls who wanted Gewirz this year got a place, because there are some LLMs living there, and 1Ls get priority. My friend got his first choice.
- There is a daycare in the basement, apparently.

Other comments about the visit, most of which are about D.C. in general, but some are about GULC:
- A lot of people brought parents. Two words: Grow up! Just a pet peeve of mine...
- The closer entrance to the Judiciary Square metro station should really not be closed on the weekends.
- D.C. is pretty pedestrian-friendly.
- The gym seems very nice, and has a pool, and basketball courts, and maybe some other stuff.
- The library seems nice, but I didn't go into it more than for a brief peek-in during a tour since they didn't want to bother the people studying.
- Some classes do not allow laptops, but most do.
- Don't do curriculum B unless you're confident that it's for you. In other words, don't pick it just because someone else enjoyed it, or because "all the cool kids do it."
- Definitely get a SmarTrip card for the Metro. I'm sure enough that I'm going to GULC that I went ahead and bought one during the ASW. It's a lot easier than using the regular tickets.
- Nobody ever uses the Union Station metro stop unless you're going Northeast on the Red Line. Otherwise, use Judiciary.
- Apparently, when it is drizzling, suddenly nobody wants to go to bar review.
- I already hate tourists.


I'm assuming cats aren't allowed???

02122015
Posts: 5317
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:57 pm

.

Postby 02122015 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:15 am

.
Last edited by 02122015 on Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrm2083
Posts: 238
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:16 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby mrm2083 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:31 am

How long after the acceptance did you get the cool packet? I've heard people say that Gewirz is mainly the people coming strait out of college. Does it have more of a dorm like feel in the sense of people having get-togethers and drinking in the room on weekends, floors bonding, etc? I ask because I'm coming strait out of undergrad and hoping that fun can still be achieved in law school lol. While I plan on working hard I believe in playing hard and don't want three years of suck.

02122015
Posts: 5317
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:57 pm

.

Postby 02122015 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:27 pm

.
Last edited by 02122015 on Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
volsi
Posts: 274
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:28 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby volsi » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:29 pm

mrm2083 wrote:How long after the acceptance did you get the cool packet? I've heard people say that Gewirz is mainly the people coming strait out of college. Does it have more of a dorm like feel in the sense of people having get-togethers and drinking in the room on weekends, floors bonding, etc? I ask because I'm coming strait out of undergrad and hoping that fun can still be achieved in law school lol. While I plan on working hard I believe in playing hard and don't want three years of suck.


I got my packet about two/three weeks after acceptance (I was accepted 2nd week of february).

I've been out of undergrad for 4 years, so I will likely be getting my own apartment in the area. I haven't lived in dorms since I was 19 so I think doing it at 26 would be a poor idea. From what i've heard, people don't really have any trouble making friends or partying if that's what they want to do. We'll be in our sections most of the time anyway, and those are the people we'll know.

Anyone else going to be apartment hunting in June and July? I'm used to the NY apartment scene, brokers and all that. This will require a lot more legwork on my part.

nax425
Posts: 182
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:14 am

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby nax425 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:35 pm

volsi wrote:
mrm2083 wrote:How long after the acceptance did you get the cool packet? I've heard people say that Gewirz is mainly the people coming strait out of college. Does it have more of a dorm like feel in the sense of people having get-togethers and drinking in the room on weekends, floors bonding, etc? I ask because I'm coming strait out of undergrad and hoping that fun can still be achieved in law school lol. While I plan on working hard I believe in playing hard and don't want three years of suck.


I got my packet about two/three weeks after acceptance (I was accepted 2nd week of february).

I've been out of undergrad for 4 years, so I will likely be getting my own apartment in the area. I haven't lived in dorms since I was 19 so I think doing it at 26 would be a poor idea. From what i've heard, people don't really have any trouble making friends or partying if that's what they want to do. We'll be in our sections most of the time anyway, and those are the people we'll know.

Anyone else going to be apartment hunting in June and July? I'm used to the NY apartment scene, brokers and all that. This will require a lot more legwork on my part.


yeah I may be on the hunt very soon. was hoping for a reasonably priced studio but that isn't going to happen if I want my sanity at the same time.

User avatar
Kim617
Posts: 784
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:36 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby Kim617 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:04 pm

MSPeast wrote:I didn't realize all the post-ASW chat was going on over here - I keep peeking at the not-moving ASW thread and was surprised that nobody was saying anything.

Anyway, I stayed in Gewirz with a friend from undergrad who is a 1L with a single room. Here are some various comments I have about Gewirz, from my brief stay:
- I've visted a few people in grad school who all live in big apartment buildings. So far, Gewirz has by far had the fastest elevators.
- You can tell it's a bit dated from the '90s, but hopefully the renovation this summer will address that. Nothing major, really, it's more cosmetic stuff, like green carpeting and white doors.
- The windows open! This was not the case in my undergrad dorm.
- There are trash chutes and recycling drop-offs on each floor.
- There are laundry rooms on only two floors of the building, but I didn't see them personally, so I don't know if they're really big or if they run into peak-demand capacity issues.
- In case anyone cares, the main entrance faces the north, to McDonough.
- They post a list of the daily events in the elevators, including any make-up classes, which apparently can happen on Saturdays at 10 in the morning. Yikes.
- Nothing was in disrepair - nothing that anyone cares about, anyway.
- The shower was fine; I guess the shower head could have used a cleaning, but I was on an upper floor and the pressure and temperature were fine. You get hot water basically right away, too. The bathroom was actually pretty roomy, but this could vary by room.
- The room had a dishwasher, in case anyone was wondering.
- The cable comes with premium channels (at least the HBO block, anyway). Since utilities are included, I'm presuming that everyone has the same cable package.
- The top floor (12) has a wrap-around balcony, and has party rooms and the like.
- Floors are generally a mix of room types, but not every floor has every type of room. The floor I was on had single-unit efficiencies, two-room efficiencies, and standard two-room places (with living areas), for example.
- You have to swipe your GoCard (I think that's the name...) to get in to most places. IMO, this should really be a smart card by now. I saw some people have to swipe their cards several times to get it to work.
- Room keys are those strange "punch-card" plastic ones, which is really old technology.
- My friend gets his groceries by having Safeway deliver them. There is also a shopping shuttle a few times a week (or is it weekly?) that you can use.
- My tour guide told us that all of the 1Ls who wanted Gewirz this year got a place, because there are some LLMs living there, and 1Ls get priority. My friend got his first choice.
- There is a daycare in the basement, apparently.

Other comments about the visit, most of which are about D.C. in general, but some are about GULC:
- A lot of people brought parents. Two words: Grow up! Just a pet peeve of mine...
- The closer entrance to the Judiciary Square metro station should really not be closed on the weekends.
- D.C. is pretty pedestrian-friendly.
- The gym seems very nice, and has a pool, and basketball courts, and maybe some other stuff.
- The library seems nice, but I didn't go into it more than for a brief peek-in during a tour since they didn't want to bother the people studying.
- Some classes do not allow laptops, but most do.
- Don't do curriculum B unless you're confident that it's for you. In other words, don't pick it just because someone else enjoyed it, or because "all the cool kids do it."
- Definitely get a SmarTrip card for the Metro. I'm sure enough that I'm going to GULC that I went ahead and bought one during the ASW. It's a lot easier than using the regular tickets.
- Nobody ever uses the Union Station metro stop unless you're going Northeast on the Red Line. Otherwise, use Judiciary.
- Apparently, when it is drizzling, suddenly nobody wants to go to bar review.
- I already hate tourists.

agree with all you said, except the parent thing. my parents came, and it's not because i'm immature, but because they have an interest in what school i'm going to, especially if i'm taking out that much money in loans, and if maybe in the future they choose to help out with those loans. plus, i've never had to take out loans before, so it was good having them there during the financial aid presentation.

i saw the laundry rooms, it looked like 4 sets of washer/dryers and i think it was a $1.25 per use for each the washer and dryer. not bad. thanks for all the other info.

User avatar
SDWaterBaby
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:20 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby SDWaterBaby » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:05 pm

Is there a general consensus on how financially sound it is to live in gewirz? While I don't love the idea of going back to living in a dorm like setting, I'm from CA so trying to get a place in DC sounds like a nightmare. At the same time, I don't want to opt for the on campus housing if it is overpriced or if it is possible to significantly lower my housing costs elsewhere. Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

User avatar
Kim617
Posts: 784
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:36 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby Kim617 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:32 pm

nax425 wrote:
MSPeast wrote:I didn't realize all the post-ASW chat was going on over here - I keep peeking at the not-moving ASW thread and was surprised that nobody was saying anything.

Anyway, I stayed in Gewirz with a friend from undergrad who is a 1L with a single room. Here are some various comments I have about Gewirz, from my brief stay:
- I've visted a few people in grad school who all live in big apartment buildings. So far, Gewirz has by far had the fastest elevators.
- You can tell it's a bit dated from the '90s, but hopefully the renovation this summer will address that. Nothing major, really, it's more cosmetic stuff, like green carpeting and white doors.
- The windows open! This was not the case in my undergrad dorm.
- There are trash chutes and recycling drop-offs on each floor.
- There are laundry rooms on only two floors of the building, but I didn't see them personally, so I don't know if they're really big or if they run into peak-demand capacity issues.
- In case anyone cares, the main entrance faces the north, to McDonough.
- They post a list of the daily events in the elevators, including any make-up classes, which apparently can happen on Saturdays at 10 in the morning. Yikes.
- Nothing was in disrepair - nothing that anyone cares about, anyway.
- The shower was fine; I guess the shower head could have used a cleaning, but I was on an upper floor and the pressure and temperature were fine. You get hot water basically right away, too. The bathroom was actually pretty roomy, but this could vary by room.
- The room had a dishwasher, in case anyone was wondering.
- The cable comes with premium channels (at least the HBO block, anyway). Since utilities are included, I'm presuming that everyone has the same cable package.
- The top floor (12) has a wrap-around balcony, and has party rooms and the like.
- Floors are generally a mix of room types, but not every floor has every type of room. The floor I was on had single-unit efficiencies, two-room efficiencies, and standard two-room places (with living areas), for example.
- You have to swipe your GoCard (I think that's the name...) to get in to most places. IMO, this should really be a smart card by now. I saw some people have to swipe their cards several times to get it to work.
- Room keys are those strange "punch-card" plastic ones, which is really old technology.
- My friend gets his groceries by having Safeway deliver them. There is also a shopping shuttle a few times a week (or is it weekly?) that you can use.
- My tour guide told us that all of the 1Ls who wanted Gewirz this year got a place, because there are some LLMs living there, and 1Ls get priority. My friend got his first choice.
- There is a daycare in the basement, apparently.

Other comments about the visit, most of which are about D.C. in general, but some are about GULC:
- A lot of people brought parents. Two words: Grow up! Just a pet peeve of mine...
- The closer entrance to the Judiciary Square metro station should really not be closed on the weekends.
- D.C. is pretty pedestrian-friendly.
- The gym seems very nice, and has a pool, and basketball courts, and maybe some other stuff.
- The library seems nice, but I didn't go into it more than for a brief peek-in during a tour since they didn't want to bother the people studying.
- Some classes do not allow laptops, but most do.
- Don't do curriculum B unless you're confident that it's for you. In other words, don't pick it just because someone else enjoyed it, or because "all the cool kids do it."
- Definitely get a SmarTrip card for the Metro. I'm sure enough that I'm going to GULC that I went ahead and bought one during the ASW. It's a lot easier than using the regular tickets.
- Nobody ever uses the Union Station metro stop unless you're going Northeast on the Red Line. Otherwise, use Judiciary.
- Apparently, when it is drizzling, suddenly nobody wants to go to bar review.
- I already hate tourists.


I'm assuming cats aren't allowed???

no pets, from what i understand. good for me, since i'm deathly allergic to cats :)

User avatar
Kim617
Posts: 784
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:36 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby Kim617 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:35 pm

MSPeast wrote:
beef wellington wrote:You won't ride the WLs?

Nah, I just want to settle on a place, particularly since I am in to GULC and it is a T-14... if, say, I got into no T-14s but wound up on the super-special-extra-priority WL at GULC, then that would be pursued.

I feel the same way. I just want to be sure of where I'm going. I'm going to withdraw from Columbia's WL, because I'd rather not pay the deposit at GULC and just do the "I PROMISE I'M ATTENDING" route.

02122015
Posts: 5317
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:57 pm

.

Postby 02122015 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:55 pm

.
Last edited by 02122015 on Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

02122015
Posts: 5317
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:57 pm

.

Postby 02122015 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:57 pm

.
Last edited by 02122015 on Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Kim617
Posts: 784
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:36 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby Kim617 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:00 pm

MSPeast wrote:Since 1st-year (or is it 1st-semester?) tuition is due July 26th, but financial aid disbursements aren't until late August, how do people pay that? Do you get the loan portion sooner, or do they defer it if you are using financial aid, or what?

i think the loans go straight to the school before late august, but you don't receive your refund check for living expenses until the first week of school or something like that.

mrm2083
Posts: 238
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:16 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby mrm2083 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:18 pm

For the people planning on living in Gewirz; do you guys already have friends you are planning on rooming with or are you going to let GULC match you up with someone?

hugtrees
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:52 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby hugtrees » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:23 pm

hi everyone - just wanted to say hello to this thread. i couldn't make it to the asd so if others would like to share their impressions from last week i'd be tremendously grateful (and thanks to those who already have)!

02122015
Posts: 5317
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:57 pm

.

Postby 02122015 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:24 pm

.
Last edited by 02122015 on Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Revisionist
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby Revisionist » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:31 pm

MSPeast wrote: - Don't do curriculum B unless you're confident that it's for you. In other words, don't pick it just because someone else enjoyed it, or because "all the cool kids do it."

What made you say this? I think B sounds interesting but I still need to think about it some more before I decide.

02122015
Posts: 5317
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:57 pm

.

Postby 02122015 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:49 pm

.
Last edited by 02122015 on Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
starrydecisus
Posts: 547
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:31 am

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby starrydecisus » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:41 pm

MSPeast wrote:
mrm2083 wrote:For the people planning on living in Gewirz; do you guys already have friends you are planning on rooming with or are you going to let GULC match you up with someone?

I'm probably going to let GULC do the matching, but I have a friend on the super special waiting list, and if he decides to go I might room with him. Stuff is kind of up in the air on that front.


Letting GULC do the matching. I know no one!!

User avatar
starrydecisus
Posts: 547
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:31 am

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby starrydecisus » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:43 pm

MSPeast wrote:
Revisionist wrote:
MSPeast wrote: - Don't do curriculum B unless you're confident that it's for you. In other words, don't pick it just because someone else enjoyed it, or because "all the cool kids do it."

What made you say this? I think B sounds interesting but I still need to think about it some more before I decide.

A lot of people really loved B, but my friend knows some people who picked B and regretted it because it really wasn't for them, and they just took it on a whim, basically.


Yeah, while I think the idea of B sounds awesome, I feel like it's not for me. I'm pretty traditional and rule-based. I think everyone should just think about which one fits their style better.

gators88
Posts: 60
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:09 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby gators88 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:57 pm

starrydecisus wrote:
Letting GULC do the matching. I know no one!!


Me too

User avatar
volsi
Posts: 274
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:28 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby volsi » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:28 pm

starrydecisus wrote:
Yeah, while I think the idea of B sounds awesome, I feel like it's not for me. I'm pretty traditional and rule-based. I think everyone should just think about which one fits their style better.


I've settled on A as well, but for a different reason. Because I'm a big dork, I decided to research where Curriculum B came from, what it taught, etc. Turns out a lot of the sources are subjects I spent a lot of time studying in undergrad. [My senior thesis was titled: The Location of Gender: The Unhomed Woman in Post-Colonial Ireland ] And while I really enjoyed all that, I don't want to spend any more time decoding secret messages in the texts I'm reading. The law is serpentine enough. So A it is. :)




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest