GULC c/o 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
starrydecisus

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby starrydecisus » Thu May 27, 2010 9:30 pm

Unitas wrote:I'm watching the good wife. I really like it and know most of the actors from other shows, but not knowing the story line is making the finale seem odd.

Watch the rest of the season, too :P

nowinGA

Postby nowinGA » Thu May 27, 2010 9:36 pm

I just sold my LSAT books for $$$$ cash money on craigslist. I would have donated them for quality firewood had the opportunity presented itself. Happy camper am I...

I have never seen The Good Wife...though I would like to. I am currently working my way through the finally released Ally McBeal box set. I love it. John Cage is the best litigator ever. To date myself even more, I will say that it reminds me of college, as the first season was during my first year of college. I am thoroughly enjoying watching the era from the standpoint of now. The clothing is just excellent. David E. Kelley is a brilliant man.

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Thu May 27, 2010 9:56 pm

starrydecisus wrote:
Unitas wrote:I'm watching the good wife. I really like it and know most of the actors from other shows, but not knowing the story line is making the finale seem odd.

LOVE the good wife. just finished season 1. there is one thing that drives me absolutely NUTS, though. why do they always say "phoning" instead of "calling"? in real life, no one ever says "here's my number, phone me!" every single character does it. WHY?

starrydecisus

Postby starrydecisus » Thu May 27, 2010 10:38 pm

Kim617 wrote:
starrydecisus wrote:

LOVE the good wife. just finished season 1. there is one thing that drives me absolutely NUTS, though. why do they always say "phoning" instead of "calling"? in real life, no one ever says "here's my number, phone me!" every single character does it. WHY?

KIM IT'S SO FUNNY YOU BROUGHT THAT UP. Because I've recently started saying "phoning" and in my head, I thought, "This is strange, why am I saying this?" and yet, I was saying it. I tend to absorb phrases from people, so maybe I subconsciously picked it up from watching the show? In fact, I distinctly remember saying to my boss today, "I telephoned the client and I couldn't get a hold of him," and then I thought, "Gee, how weird!" after I said it.

Torvon

Postby Torvon » Thu May 27, 2010 10:50 pm

So who is living off campus and has found a really good deal they want to let me steal from them? I hate apartment searching...

hugtrees

Postby hugtrees » Fri May 28, 2010 10:35 am

i have a question about purchasing a new computer, and the financial aid office is closed on fridays during the summer. maybe one of you guys knows the answer?

so i was planning on waiting until just before school started to replace my aged powerbook G4, but alas, it died last night. i'd like to do the one-time loan increase for a computer purchase, since i'm not exactly flush with cash, so that i could buy it now/soon and get an extra chunk of $ in my first loan disbursement. but now i'm reading the budget adjustment request form (http://www.law.georgetown.edu/finaid/forms/documents/2009-2010BudgetAdjustmentRequestForm.pdf, although that's last year's) and it says i'll need a sales receipt dated within the academic year. which doesn't start until september.

so does this mean i need to a) wait until september to buy a new computer in order to get the loan increase, or b) buy it now but not have the option of the loan increase? or c) neither, i'm an idiot and can't read?

thanks guys!!

nowinGA

Postby nowinGA » Fri May 28, 2010 10:56 am

hugtrees wrote:i have a question about purchasing a new computer, and the financial aid office is closed on fridays during the summer. maybe one of you guys knows the answer?

so i was planning on waiting until just before school started to replace my aged powerbook G4, but alas, it died last night. i'd like to do the one-time loan increase for a computer purchase, since i'm not exactly flush with cash, so that i could buy it now/soon and get an extra chunk of $ in my first loan disbursement. but now i'm reading the budget adjustment request form (http://www.law.georgetown.edu/finaid/forms/documents/2009-2010BudgetAdjustmentRequestForm.pdf, although that's last year's) and it says i'll need a sales receipt dated within the academic year. which doesn't start until september.

so does this mean i need to a) wait until september to buy a new computer in order to get the loan increase, or b) buy it now but not have the option of the loan increase? or c) neither, i'm an idiot and can't read?

thanks guys!!

I asked this question and was told to wait until after August 1st in order to have it qualify for the budget adjustment. Not sure if this is scripture, but it is what I was told by one of the directors.

hugtrees

Postby hugtrees » Fri May 28, 2010 11:12 am

nowinGA wrote:I asked this question and was told to wait until after August 1st in order to have it qualify for the budget adjustment. Not sure if this is scripture, but it is what I was told by one of the directors.

drat. that's what i figured. not sure i can make it 2 months computerless, but maybe it'll be liberating?

iamtaw

Postby iamtaw » Fri May 28, 2010 12:56 pm

starrydecisus wrote:
Kim617 wrote:
starrydecisus wrote:

KIM IT'S SO FUNNY YOU BROUGHT THAT UP. Because I've recently started saying "phoning" and in my head, I thought, "This is strange, why am I saying this?" and yet, I was saying it. I tend to absorb phrases from people, so maybe I subconsciously picked it up from watching the show? In fact, I distinctly remember saying to my boss today, "I telephoned the client and I couldn't get a hold of him," and then I thought, "Gee, how weird!" after I said it.

i do the same thing when i get caught up in tv shows! you should have seen me when i watched john adams...

Von Schlieffen

Postby Von Schlieffen » Sat May 29, 2010 3:59 pm

Would anybody be interested in trying to form a group to live off campus? My assumption is, the more people we split housing with, the nicer place we can afford.

Still hoping I get off the Gerwitz waitlist.

gilchristh

Postby gilchristh » Sun May 30, 2010 2:51 pm

hugtrees wrote:i have a question about purchasing a new computer, and the financial aid office is closed on fridays during the summer. maybe one of you guys knows the answer?

thanks guys!!

A or B. I dropped my MacBook Pro (17") and broke the screen, and it was much cheaper to buy a new 13" (which was much easier to carry to and from class and use in the space constraints of class), so I went out, bought it, and handed in the receipts. They then disbursed the extra funds to me.

shadow.

Postby shadow. » Mon May 31, 2010 6:07 pm

Last edited by shadow. on Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beef wellington

Postby beef wellington » Mon May 31, 2010 6:10 pm

shadow. wrote:So I got my NetID letter in the mail and am able to login to MyAccess, etc. But I can't login to Law Mail. Any ideas?

Same here.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Mon May 31, 2010 6:35 pm

beef wellington wrote:
shadow. wrote:So I got my NetID letter in the mail and am able to login to MyAccess, etc. But I can't login to Law Mail. Any ideas?

Same here.

No one on here has said they could use it. We'll probably get an e-mail shortly before or after we can. Strange that it is set to our primary method of contact when we can't even use it. Hopefully we don't have a bunch of e-mails there.

SDWaterBaby

Postby SDWaterBaby » Mon May 31, 2010 8:32 pm

Hey everyone...I'll be attending GULC in the fall...I'm pretty stoked. I'm living in Gewirz, 6th floor...anyone else on that floor? I had a quick question about the loan application process. I know that I hardcore procrastinated on this so I hope it's not too late. I filled out the Blue Form and I filled out the MPN right now, I signed it and pressed submit and when it offered to show me the submitted form in a pdf, there was some error. When I logged back in and went to completed MPNs, it said no records found...so I redid the whole thing. Same thing happened again. Is this something any of you have had a problem with in the past? Also other than filling out a MPN and the Blue Form, is there anything else I need to do regarding loans? I just list the amounts I want to apply for in the Blue Form right? Or are there other forms on studentloans.gov that I need to complete to get the ball rolling with getting my loans? Thanks in advance!

starrydecisus

Postby starrydecisus » Mon May 31, 2010 9:54 pm

SDWaterBaby wrote:Hey everyone...I'll be attending GULC in the fall...I'm pretty stoked. I'm living in Gewirz, 6th floor...anyone else on that floor? I had a quick question about the loan application process. I know that I hardcore procrastinated on this so I hope it's not too late. I filled out the Blue Form and I filled out the MPN right now, I signed it and pressed submit and when it offered to show me the submitted form in a pdf, there was some error. When I logged back in and went to completed MPNs, it said no records found...so I redid the whole thing. Same thing happened again. Is this something any of you have had a problem with in the past? Also other than filling out a MPN and the Blue Form, is there anything else I need to do regarding loans? I just list the amounts I want to apply for in the Blue Form right? Or are there other forms on studentloans.gov that I need to complete to get the ball rolling with getting my loans? Thanks in advance!

me! me! I'm on the 6th floor! Welcome to TLS and Georgetown =)

I do not, however, have the answers to your loan questions.

softrevolution

Postby softrevolution » Mon May 31, 2010 10:35 pm

Hi everyone! I've been lurking here for a while and thought I'd finally say hi.
I just graduated from undergrad yesterday, so I figured I should get a head start on getting to know the awesome people that I will be seeing for the next three years!
Kim and iamtaw, I'm also on the third floor, facing west (in a large triple). :)

beef wellington

Postby beef wellington » Mon May 31, 2010 10:38 pm

softrevolution wrote:Hi everyone! I've been lurking here for a while and thought I'd finally say hi.
I just graduated from undergrad yesterday, so I figured I should get a head start on getting to know the awesome people that I will be seeing for the next three years!
Kim and iamtaw, I'm also on the third floor, facing west (in a large triple). :)

Hello and congrats on graduating! :)

volsi

Postby volsi » Mon May 31, 2010 11:06 pm

Hi to the newcomers!
The admitted students website Financial Aid steps actually have the best step by step guide to the loan process. Basically: fill out Stafford MPN, Fill out Grad Plus App, Fill out Grad Plus MPN, fill out blue form with amounts.

Also; I've started scouting for bars to have our meetup - and I found a decent option in the area. We all like sports, right? http://www.dcsportstavern.com/ordereze/default.aspx .

beef wellington

Postby beef wellington » Mon May 31, 2010 11:14 pm

volsi wrote:Hi to the newcomers!
The admitted students website Financial Aid steps actually have the best step by step guide to the loan process. Basically: fill out Stafford MPN, Fill out Grad Plus App, Fill out Grad Plus MPN, fill out blue form with amounts.

Also; I've started scouting for bars to have our meetup - and I found a decent option in the area. We all like sports, right? http://www.dcsportstavern.com/ordereze/default.aspx .

Damn, I didn't realize I had to do 2 MPNs! Thanks for posting that!

tigrelis

Postby tigrelis » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:45 am

Last edited by tigrelis on Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

volsi

Postby volsi » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:22 am

tigrelis wrote:
beef wellington wrote:
volsi wrote:Hi to the newcomers!

Damn, I didn't realize I had to do 2 MPNs! Thanks for posting that!

Is the Stafford MPN on the same website, studentloans.gov? I don't see it in my list of choices, but I do have stafford on my award letter (which I accepted). Hopefully, the 6/1 deadline isn't too strict..

Log in, and on the left side, click on Complete MPN, under master promissory note. There, you'll find three choices. Stafford is the Subsidized/Unsubsidized.

When you're done, your completed MPNs page should list two (2!) MPNs. Also, you should have a completed GradPLUS application if you chose to do that loan. The application should be done before the grad plus MPN is done. According to http://www.law.georgetown.edu/finaid/ap ... ml#ijdijdt that page, anyway.

js87

Postby js87 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:26 am

Have you guys been able to accept your loans (including gradPLUS) on myaccess yet?

tigrelis

Postby tigrelis » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:43 pm

volsi wrote:Log in, and on the left side, click on Complete MPN, under master promissory note. There, you'll find three choices. Stafford is the Subsidized/Unsubsidized.

When you're done, your completed MPNs page should list two (2!) MPNs. Also, you should have a completed GradPLUS application if you chose to do that loan. The application should be done before the grad plus MPN is done. According to http://www.law.georgetown.edu/finaid/ap ... ml#ijdijdt that page, anyway.

Apparently I'm blind. Thanks volsi. Doing this now. Glad I still check TLS!

Torvon

Postby Torvon » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:26 pm

js87 wrote:Have you guys been able to accept your loans (including gradPLUS) on myaccess yet?

Well that's odd. I swear I accepted my subsidized and unsubsidized loans on the web but now when I check them they just say "Offered" and I can't choose to accept them. I've never been able to accept the GradPLUS so it still just says "Offered" as well. The only two things that say any different are my scholarship which says "Accept" and my Federal Work Study which says "Web Rejected".

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”