GULC c/o 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
nowinGA

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby nowinGA » Wed May 26, 2010 2:01 pm

iamtaw wrote:
nowinGA wrote:When do you get access to myaccess? I have done all of my aid stuff but have yet to receive information on getting in there...

when i emailed them asking about this, i got a reply saying that they were scheduled to go out on May 21st. I got this reply on May 14th

I got mine in the mail today. It is, in fact, dated May 21st.

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Wed May 26, 2010 3:38 pm

Unitas wrote:
Topher wrote:Actually, I was being serious. I really do love being woken up by the sun. It's much better than my alarm.

:oops:

My bad, I don't like being woken up by anything. I like waking up when I am ready. We'll see how often I can do that with my schedule up there.

I want to move now. This summer is going to go very slowly, even with how much I have to get done.

I'm the same way. I like to wake up when I'm ready, and I need to sleep with an eye mask because any light will immediately wake me up. Gotta get those blackout curtains!

gobears09

Postby gobears09 » Wed May 26, 2010 4:14 pm

nowinGA wrote:
iamtaw wrote:
nowinGA wrote:When do you get access to myaccess? I have done all of my aid stuff but have yet to receive information on getting in there...

when i emailed them asking about this, i got a reply saying that they were scheduled to go out on May 21st. I got this reply on May 14th

I got an email saying there have been glitches generating the myaccess login info, they advised me to pay the second deposit via mail rather than wait for the system to fix.

tigrelis

Postby tigrelis » Wed May 26, 2010 5:28 pm

gobears09 wrote:I got an email saying there have been glitches generating the myaccess login info, they advised me to pay the second deposit via mail rather than wait for the system to fix.

+1. Except I had to call to get that piece of info. They finally fixed it though, so two months after I get in, I'm getting my login haha.

nowinGA

Postby nowinGA » Wed May 26, 2010 7:06 pm

gobears09 wrote:
nowinGA wrote:
iamtaw wrote:

I got an email saying there have been glitches generating the myaccess login info, they advised me to pay the second deposit via mail rather than wait for the system to fix.

Ah, I see. Perhaps I got it because I went with the no deposit method...

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Wed May 26, 2010 7:23 pm

Anyone ask when the e-mails would work?

starrydecisus

Postby starrydecisus » Wed May 26, 2010 9:21 pm

Just packed a box of sweaters, scarves, etc. =)

(Not like I'm going to need them this summer....in FLORIDA.)

volsi

Postby volsi » Thu May 27, 2010 12:30 pm

Do you guys know anything about voting absentee and how it works?

I'll be living in DC all 3 years at Georgetown, but I plan to come back to NY after I graduate (though who knows). When I change my mailing address, do I have to change my voting registration? I kind of don't want to lose my chance to vote for Senate, House, City Council. I'm happy to vote absentee, but it seems after 3 years I'll definitely have DC residency.
I stayed in state for undergrad, so I didn't have this problem before.

nowinGA

Postby nowinGA » Thu May 27, 2010 1:03 pm

volsi wrote:Do you guys know anything about voting absentee and how it works?

I'll be living in DC all 3 years at Georgetown, but I plan to come back to NY after I graduate (though who knows). When I change my mailing address, do I have to change my voting registration? I kind of don't want to lose my chance to vote for Senate, House, City Council. I'm happy to vote absentee, but it seems after 3 years I'll definitely have DC residency.

Not at all. I was a MN resident and lived in NYC for years (after college)...just don't change your driver's license. It is as simple as that. You are the only one that can make you have DC residency. It was important to me to vote in MN...so I did it for the same reason.

Edit: This is all assuming you still have a permanent address in NY.

Postby 02122015 » Thu May 27, 2010 1:36 pm

Last edited by 02122015 on Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

volsi

Postby volsi » Thu May 27, 2010 2:09 pm

nowinGA wrote:

Not at all. I was a MN resident and lived in NYC for years (after college)...just don't change your driver's license. It is as simple as that. You are the only one that can make you have DC residency. It was important to me to vote in MN...so I did it for the same reason.

Thanks for that info. I thought it was so, but I wasn't sure.
The permanent address: Well, I am not sure if I do. I've been living at my current apartment for 3 years, but after I move out I don't know if my current roommate will stay. Our friendship isn't what it was, so I am not sure I could reliably get mail from her. My father lives in NY, but I haven't had anything addressed to his home since I was 17. He might be moving as well. Once I leave, my permanent address will actually be in DC.

nowinGA

Postby nowinGA » Thu May 27, 2010 2:32 pm

volsi wrote:
nowinGA wrote:

The permanent address: Well, I am not sure if I do. I've been living at my current apartment for 3 years, but after I move out I don't know if my current roommate will stay. Our friendship isn't what it was, so I am not sure I could reliably get mail from her. My father lives in NY, but I haven't had anything addressed to his home since I was 17. He might be moving as well. Once I leave, my permanent address will actually be in DC.

That might be tougher, I am not sure. I just always have my mom's house as my permanent address...even though I have not lived there since 1997. That said, I do get mail there, have that address in documents, etc., so if I was asked to prove it, I would be able to. I don't think you will have a problem unless you were trying to do something where you needed to prove your residency. (e.g. a discrepancy on your taxes, you are buying property, etc.) If I were you, I would change your NY State license to your dad's address...even though he might move.

If, as you say, your permanent address is in DC, then I think you do have to vote there. I use permanent as a technical (and not literal) term. If you can keep a pseudo permanent address in NY State, then you will be in better shape.

This is just my opinion based on my experience...I am no expert!

Topher

Postby Topher » Thu May 27, 2010 2:52 pm

volsi wrote:
nowinGA wrote:

Hmmmm, it sounds to me like you're going to be voting for mayor of DC

Torvon

Postby Torvon » Thu May 27, 2010 3:59 pm

MSPeast wrote:I'll have to get a D.C. license since I won't have to pay for car insurance that way. I guess in D.C. you can register at the polls so at least I'll be able to vote in their primary. I'll hate not being able to vote for a voting congressman back home though.

Wait....what?

nowinGA

Postby nowinGA » Thu May 27, 2010 4:12 pm

Torvon wrote:
MSPeast wrote:I'll have to get a D.C. license since I won't have to pay for car insurance that way. I guess in D.C. you can register at the polls so at least I'll be able to vote in their primary. I'll hate not being able to vote for a voting congressman back home though.

Wait....what?

Yeah, I wondered about that one too!

I am counting down the days until I can sell my car. Zip car rules.

Postby 02122015 » Thu May 27, 2010 4:28 pm

Last edited by 02122015 on Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Postby 02122015 » Thu May 27, 2010 4:31 pm

Last edited by 02122015 on Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Torvon

Postby Torvon » Thu May 27, 2010 4:33 pm

MSPeast wrote:Not only am I not bringing my car to D.C., but I am selling it to my parents when I move. If I keep my Wisconsin license, I will be listed as a driver residing at an address where vehicles are registered, so I'd have to pay for my share of car insurance. Parents will not pay for that. If I get a D.C. license, then I will be a licensed driver with no car not living with any relatives, so insurance isn't needed. If I go home for holidays and need to drive, I'll be covered under my parents' insurance as a guest, since my license will be from elsewhere and I won't be the car owner anymore. This is how my 2nd year of undergrad worked. I had an AZ license but my car (in my dad's name back then) was back home, so I didn't have or need car insurance that year.

Ah okay, that makes more sense. Up until now I have just always figured that I would be bringing my car but now that I am looking at pricing on everything (registration, insurance etc) I'm wondering if it is worth it. My wife and I will be living off campus and she's going to have a job (hopefully) as well as me attending school. How realistic is it for us to live in DC with no car?

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Thu May 27, 2010 4:58 pm

Torvon wrote:
MSPeast wrote:Not only am I not bringing my car to D.C., but I am selling it to my parents when I move. If I keep my Wisconsin license, I will be listed as a driver residing at an address where vehicles are registered, so I'd have to pay for my share of car insurance. Parents will not pay for that. If I get a D.C. license, then I will be a licensed driver with no car not living with any relatives, so insurance isn't needed. If I go home for holidays and need to drive, I'll be covered under my parents' insurance as a guest, since my license will be from elsewhere and I won't be the car owner anymore. This is how my 2nd year of undergrad worked. I had an AZ license but my car (in my dad's name back then) was back home, so I didn't have or need car insurance that year.

Ah okay, that makes more sense. Up until now I have just always figured that I would be bringing my car but now that I am looking at pricing on everything (registration, insurance etc) I'm wondering if it is worth it. My wife and I will be living off campus and she's going to have a job (hopefully) as well as me attending school. How realistic is it for us to live in DC with no car?

Very realistic if you don't mind commuting on public transportation.

nowinGA

Postby nowinGA » Thu May 27, 2010 6:16 pm

Unitas wrote:
Torvon wrote:

Very realistic if you don't mind commuting on public transportation.

+1...and look into zipcar for those times when you want to run to target...or take a day trip. It is amazing. I lived in Silver Spring for a bit and had car (and would probably want one again if I was up there)...but I dated a guy living in a house in Georgetown for quite some time...and all he did was zipcar...it just makes so much more sense than trying to maintain a car in the city (with insurance, etc)...especially a city like DC where they are not friendly about parking rules, etc. Zipcar is a great deal...AND I just read that there are two parked ON the GULC campus...(as well as many others in the area)...Metro is OK...good enough, I think...It doesn't go that many places (compared to, say, NYC)...but it is very clean and convenient (except when it closes at night and you forget that it does not, in fact, run all night and get stuck somewhere...)

Postby 02122015 » Thu May 27, 2010 7:38 pm

Last edited by 02122015 on Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

nowinGA

Postby nowinGA » Thu May 27, 2010 8:27 pm

MSPeast wrote:
nowinGA wrote:+1...and look into zipcar for those times when you want to run to target...or take a day trip. It is amazing. I lived in Silver Spring for a bit and had car (and would probably want one again if I was up there)...but I dated a guy living in a house in Georgetown for quite some time...and all he did was zipcar...it just makes so much more sense than trying to maintain a car in the city (with insurance, etc)...especially a city like DC where they are not friendly about parking rules, etc. Zipcar is a great deal...AND I just read that there are two parked ON the GULC campus...(as well as many others in the area)...Metro is OK...good enough, I think...It doesn't go that many places (compared to, say, NYC)...but it is very clean and convenient (except when it closes at night and you forget that it does not, in fact, run all night and get stuck somewhere...)

Two comments:
1. Speaking of Target specifically, you don't even necessarily need a car for that as long as you live near a Metro station and aren't buying huge items. For example, if you get a couple of those reusable bags (they're more durable and the handles won't stretch out and break like the plastic bags), you can go to D.C. proper's only Target, which is across the street from the Columbia Heights station, and fill up on groceries or whatever. I'm actually planning to do most of my grocery shopping there since they do have a reasonable grocery selection (just no fresh meat or produce there -- but they do have frozen and canned, and they have fresh dairy), and it's more Metro-accessible than the other area grocery stores. Plus I like Target in general.
2. If you do your research ahead of time, or you have a phone that gets the internet, there are overnight buses that run. The trains stop but there are night buses. You can pull up the WMATA trip planner on your phone and get home after the Metro stops. Assuming you live in central D.C. of course.

Of course, I'm less picky since I managed to live in Phoenix for a school year without a car at all. I had a university-paid full bus pass, but when it wasn't rush hour the buses were only every half hour and the light rail wasn't open yet. And to this day there is no overnight service. So trying it again in D.C. is going to be a breeze.

All true. But clearly you do not shop at target like I do. I don't usually get out of there with that which I can carry in my two hands.

Postby 02122015 » Thu May 27, 2010 8:42 pm

Last edited by 02122015 on Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PheelTheMusic

Postby PheelTheMusic » Thu May 27, 2010 9:14 pm

volsi wrote:
Alt bluegrass as in Nickel Creek, Chris Thile, Punch Brothers, Avett Bros, etc?

If so, then a big yes.

Absolutely! Do you know Mountain Heart? I saw them live last year and they're amazing. And yes, absolutely no Nickelback .

Sweet. Never heard of Mountain Heart. I'll have to check them out...

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Thu May 27, 2010 9:20 pm

I'm watching the good wife. I really like it and know most of the actors from other shows, but not knowing the story line is making the finale seem odd.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”