GULC c/o 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
dk8

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby dk8 » Sat May 22, 2010 6:17 pm

People not living in Gewirz, how are you going about the housing search? I'm seeing some good places but most people want you to move in immediately.

starrydecisus

Postby starrydecisus » Sat May 22, 2010 6:36 pm

Kim, does your housing letter contain more information on the housing? Like what kind of sheets to get, etc. I know they're twin beds, but most college dorms are extra-long twin, and I was wondering if these were regular or extra long.

volsi

Postby volsi » Sat May 22, 2010 7:47 pm

dk8 wrote:People not living in Gewirz, how are you going about the housing search? I'm seeing some good places but most people want you to move in immediately.

Going to be looking in late June, I think. Planning on moving in August 1st, getting to really know the city.

Also, I'm not quoting the troll, but seriously, what's the point? Do they want us to go "My gosh, you're right, random person on the internet. I'm obviously not good enough, even though there are thousands of people going to schools ranked much worse. I'll just send Georgetown my withdrawal and spend the rest of my time working at the Gap! Can't wait til I'm assistant manager!" Pointless e-peen waving.

nowinGA

Postby nowinGA » Sat May 22, 2010 7:54 pm

starrydecisus wrote:Kim, does your housing letter contain more information on the housing? Like what kind of sheets to get, etc. I know they're twin beds, but most college dorms are extra-long twin, and I was wondering if these were regular or extra long.

I have the same question...though I did look at the dimensions on the website and think it is safe to say they are extra long. Which I am grateful for...being 5'0" tall...

dk8

Postby dk8 » Sat May 22, 2010 8:16 pm

volsi wrote:
dk8 wrote:People not living in Gewirz, how are you going about the housing search? I'm seeing some good places but most people want you to move in immediately.

Going to be looking in late June, I think. Planning on moving in August 1st, getting to really know the city.

Also, I'm not quoting the troll, but seriously, what's the point? Do they want us to go "My gosh, you're right, random person on the internet. I'm obviously not good enough, even though there are thousands of people going to schools ranked much worse. I'll just send Georgetown my withdrawal and spend the rest of my time working at the Gap! Can't wait til I'm assistant manager!" Pointless e-peen waving.

I"m going to get a place by August 1 as well. I'm worried if I wait too long to lock a place down that I'll be forced to live far away from campus with some creepy old dude.

Regarding the troll, you're right. 90% of T14 students realize that their school is not a golden ticket and that biglaw is not a given. Usually these types (the people who randomly come into threads spreading the doom and gloom) are TTT alumns who relish the chance to tell people going to good schools that things could end up badly for them. We already realize that it's possible, what are we supposed to do, spend the whole thread discussing it?

Postby 02122015 » Sat May 22, 2010 8:21 pm

Last edited by 02122015 on Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

starrydecisus

Postby starrydecisus » Sat May 22, 2010 8:31 pm

I just realized that my new roommate could have potentially gotten her letter today and currently be stalking my facebook, twitter, etc. Feel self-conscious! New Roommate, I hope you like Taylor Swift...

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Sat May 22, 2010 8:46 pm

starrydecisus wrote:I just realized that my new roommate could have potentially gotten her letter today and currently be stalking my facebook, twitter, etc. Feel self-conscious! New Roommate, I hope you like Taylor Swift...

Embarrassing fact: I love Taylor Swift.

I'm pretty confident that I'm not your roommate though. lol

oneforship

Postby oneforship » Sat May 22, 2010 9:01 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:
starrydecisus wrote:I just realized that my new roommate could have potentially gotten her letter today and currently be stalking my facebook, twitter, etc. Feel self-conscious! New Roommate, I hope you like Taylor Swift...

QF most honest post you've ever made.

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Sat May 22, 2010 9:51 pm

nowinGA wrote:
starrydecisus wrote:Kim, does your housing letter contain more information on the housing? Like what kind of sheets to get, etc. I know they're twin beds, but most college dorms are extra-long twin, and I was wondering if these were regular or extra long.

I have the same question...though I did look at the dimensions on the website and think it is safe to say they are extra long. Which I am grateful for...being 5'0" tall...

The letter just says how they have done their best to match me to my preference. It gives you your resident agreement, and also your room number. Then it gives your roommate. And seriously starry, the fact that I can't stalk her is driving me nuts. Then it says stuff about billing and how Gewirz is non-smoking.

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Sat May 22, 2010 9:53 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:

I'm OBSESSED with Taylor Swift. And Jay Z. Seriously, if my roommate has a problem with gangster rap and various forms of hip hop, I can't imagine how we'd be best friends.

starrydecisus

Postby starrydecisus » Sat May 22, 2010 10:42 pm

Kim617 wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:

I'm OBSESSED with Taylor Swift. And Jay Z. Seriously, if my roommate has a problem with gangster rap and various forms of hip hop, I can't imagine how we'd be best friends.

That's such a funny combination :)

Glad to see some love for T.Swift on here <3

starrydecisus

Postby starrydecisus » Sat May 22, 2010 10:53 pm

Also, if anyone watches or has ever watched LOST, the SERIES finale is on tomorrow night at 9!!!

Beware

Postby Beware » Sun May 23, 2010 10:09 am

The actual employment situation for Georgetown Law grads is disturbing. The official numbers do not reflect it.

Only two out of the five people interviewed on NPR were able to get a job. Three of them had sent out hundreds of resumes and received no offers.

Please talk to graduating law students and young lawyers before you decide to go to law school. If you end up $150,000 in the red with no job, then you will have been warned.

Many students are being extended offers to extend their part-time jobs at the library or as research assistants so that the "employed at graduation" numbers look good. In fact, I don't know a single part-time employee 3L at GULC who was NOT offered an extension.

If you think law school is a good place to "hide out" during the "recession," then you are either ignorant or an idiot. The job market is in complete disarray and will remain so for a long, long time.

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Sun May 23, 2010 11:04 am

Beware wrote:The actual employment situation for Georgetown Law grads is disturbing. The official numbers do not reflect it.

Only two out of the five people interviewed on NPR were able to get a job. Three of them had sent out hundreds of resumes and received no offers.

Please talk to graduating law students and young lawyers before you decide to go to law school. If you end up $150,000 in the red with no job, then you will have been warned.

Many students are being extended offers to extend their part-time jobs at the library or as research assistants so that the "employed at graduation" numbers look good. In fact, I don't know a single part-time employee 3L at GULC who was NOT offered an extension.

If you think law school is a good place to "hide out" during the "recession," then you are either ignorant or an idiot. The job market is in complete disarray and will remain so for a long, long time.

Get off the thread, thanks. You're not enlightening anyone, you're just being fucking annoying. Bye.

Beware

Postby Beware » Sun May 23, 2010 11:12 am

Kim617 wrote:
Beware wrote:The actual employment situation for Georgetown Law grads is disturbing. The official numbers do not reflect it.

Get off the thread, thanks. You're not enlightening anyone, you're just being fucking annoying. Bye.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2U9w3OotPU

Interminable_Waiting

Postby Interminable_Waiting » Sun May 23, 2010 11:32 am

Did you listen to the Podcast? As I said, 80% of them seem to be happy. You are distressingly poor at supporting your assertions.

Beware

Postby Beware » Sun May 23, 2010 11:37 am

Interminable_Waiting wrote:Did you listen to the Podcast? As I said, 80% of them seem to be happy. You are distressingly poor at supporting your assertions.

Read the comments under the podcast. The interview was edited. 60% of them had NO job offer.

Interminable_Waiting

Postby Interminable_Waiting » Sun May 23, 2010 1:29 pm

I did actually read them at the time... They don't really discuss what you wrote very much. It is mostly someone from one of the unhappy lawyer websites... perhaps you?

It also doesn't invalidate my comment. I remain underwhelmed by you.

Edit: Also, I do not think you undestand that most people on here are aware of the risks associated with Georgetown and think they are worth taking. There is very little of the naive attitude you seem to think is the default attitude on here. If you wish to actually be helpful, go post somewhere where most people do not already know what you are typing.

Postby 02122015 » Sun May 23, 2010 2:05 pm

Last edited by 02122015 on Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

js87

Postby js87 » Sun May 23, 2010 2:09 pm

Don't mind the trolls, they're from JDUnderground.

Everyone here knows the risk. No one thinks they're promised a biglaw job. Many people at Georgetown don't even want to work in biglaw. They want to work for a governmental agency, either federal, state, or local, or in the nonprofit sector. Georgetown has one of the most comprehensive LRAP programs, especially when combined with the federal IBR and loan forgiveness program.

Many people are attending with significant financial aid. Those attending at sticker know very well that biglaw is anything but promised in this economy.

I listened to the NPR thing. It's nothing new to me; it's about what I expected. They do fail the mention their class ranks, however. We're all adults. We've all done a personal calculus before committing to attend. I thought long and hard, calculated my estimated debt, weighed my options, and picked the best choice for my goals. Find your way back to JDU.

nax425

Postby nax425 » Sun May 23, 2010 5:01 pm

Ugh I am so tired of people complaining about finding "jobs." The economy is crap right now, and DUH is all I have to say. It sucks, but most industries are going through it. Even engineers are having difficulty finding jobs. And these people in this interview didn't list their class ranks. Those who want biglaw know they are going to have to make top 1/3 or 1/2 (in a good year) to make it, and I'm pretty sure if they want it bad enough they can get it from Georgetown. I am tunnel-vision big-law, and I'll be damned if I don't make it after shelling out the money. And honestly, the more money you're shelling out, the more you should expect to work for your place in the world to give yourself better odds. Who risks 200+ in loans and blows off their studying? If you aren't prepared to work, then you shouldn't be laying down the money and probably need to go to a cheaper school or do LRAP. Or else, have rich parents who pay for you when you don't have your own.

TTTGrad

Postby TTTGrad » Sun May 23, 2010 5:24 pm

For "smart" kids, most of you are delusional. Re-listen to the podcast. Three of the five Georgetown 3Ls were unemployed (a fourth was deferred), that's 60% unemployed of that sampling, albeit small. The tone of these 3Ls was not optimistic either. I am sure most of you believe these panelists were in the bottom half (due to class rank omission) but that is not the case (the original interview was 45 minutes long and the podcast was only 7 1/2 minutes). For some of you, a Georgetown JD will pay off, especially in the government sector and in DC where almost every Tom, Dick and Harry, Esquire is a Georgetown grad. In this economy, a Georgetown JD is not that impressive, unless you are in the top 10% and on law review (and even then you are competing with other diploma mills that are ranked higher (i.e., Harvard, Columbia, UVA). Every year the bumper crop of law students gets dumber. Alas, many of you will learn the hard way in three years. As you show up for orientation or your first day of class in August, look around you. Some of you will wind up living a life of penury because you won't make the top 10% and be on law review. Just make sure you are not in that 90% that will have a difficult time landing the legal position of your dreams.

beef wellington

Postby beef wellington » Sun May 23, 2010 5:27 pm

TTTGrad wrote:[strike]For "smart" kids, most of you are delusional. Re-listen to the podcast. Three of the five Georgetown 3Ls were unemployed (a fourth was deferred), that's 60% unemployed of that sampling, albeit small. The tone of these 3Ls was not optimistic either. I am sure most of you believe these panelists were in the bottom half (due to class rank omission) but that is not the case (the original interview was 45 minutes long and the podcast was only 7 1/2 minutes). For some of you, a Georgetown JD will pay off, especially in the government sector and in DC where almost every Tom, Dick and Harry, Esquire is a Georgetown grad. In this economy, a Georgetown JD is not that impressive, unless you are in the top 10% and on law review (and even then you are competing with other diploma mills that are ranked higher (i.e., Harvard, Columbia, UVA). Every year the bumper crop of law students gets dumber. Alas, many of you will learn the hard way in three years. As you show up for orientation or your first day of class in August, look around you. Some of you will wind up living a life of penury because you won't make the top 10% and be on law review. Just make sure you are not in that 90% that will have a difficult time landing the legal position of your dreams.[/strike]

*yawn*

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Sun May 23, 2010 5:45 pm

TTTGrad wrote: Three of the five Georgetown 3Ls were unemployed (a fourth was deferred), that's 60% unemployed of that sampling, albeit small.

Drawing conclusions using a sample of 5, non randomly selected students, out of 600. It's this kind of reasoning ability that landed you in that TTT bro.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”