GULC c/o 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
nowinGA

Bronze

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Post by nowinGA » Fri May 21, 2010 7:02 pm

dk8 wrote:
Revisionist wrote:My girlfriend just told me there were some Georgetown Law students on NPR tonight talking about the legal job market. The audio is going to be up here tonight. Did anyone else hear it?
I'm sure that'll be a scary clip to hear. Although an anonymous source posted some stats in the Leak your OCI stats thread that suggests last OCI wasn't as bad as the worst case scenario ppl predicted.
Now, now...no negativity! I think most agree that this class (and last year's) are getting the worst of it. Things will be peachy once 2012/2013 rolls around...At least that is what I have decided in order to be able to sleep at night.

dk8

Bronze

Post by dk8 » Fri May 21, 2010 7:04 pm

nowinGA wrote:
dk8 wrote:
Revisionist wrote:My girlfriend just told me there were some Georgetown Law students on NPR tonight talking about the legal job market. The audio is going to be up here tonight. Did anyone else hear it?
I'm sure that'll be a scary clip to hear. Although an anonymous source posted some stats in the Leak your OCI stats thread that suggests last OCI wasn't as bad as the worst case scenario ppl predicted.
Now, now...no negativity! I think most agree that this class (and last year's) are getting the worst of it. Things will be peachy once 2012/2013 rolls around...At least that is what I have decided in order to be able to sleep at night.
Just bein real. Things won't be peachy but they will hopefully be better.

still, excited to go to school at gulc

zacharysmith89

New

Post by zacharysmith89 » Fri May 21, 2010 7:28 pm

I made my final decision to brave the big bad law-school debt only last week. The Dean at Northwestern said that firms will probably never hire as they used to. Remember that only in the past couple of decades did the high jr. associates' salaries double to $160k/yr, a correlation many compare to the mortgage boom. Regardless of the correlation's strength, the law market has been "semi-permanently" changed. And many of those who were hired last year and this year were deferred employment for a year, thus creating a backlog of incoming associates. It'll be better by 2013, yes, but by no means 'peachy'. And I'm from Georgia. 'Peachy' is a superlative not to be taken lightly!!

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Fri May 21, 2010 7:29 pm

Starting to think I shouldn't have pre-ordered that yacht.

:|

dk8

Bronze

Post by dk8 » Fri May 21, 2010 7:38 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:Starting to think I shouldn't have pre-ordered that yacht.

:|
nonsense man. IBR will pay for that yacht eventually.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nowinGA

Bronze

Post by nowinGA » Fri May 21, 2010 7:43 pm

zacharysmith89 wrote:I made my final decision to brave the big bad law-school debt only last week. The Dean at Northwestern said that firms will probably never hire as they used to. Remember that only in the past couple of decades did the high jr. associates' salaries double to $160k/yr, a correlation many compare to the mortgage boom. Regardless of the correlation's strength, the law market has been "semi-permanently" changed. And many of those who were hired last year and this year were deferred employment for a year, thus creating a backlog of incoming associates. It'll be better by 2013, yes, but by no means 'peachy'. And I'm from Georgia. 'Peachy' is a superlative not to be taken lightly!!
well I am currently in GA (or "nowinga"...haha) and I still disagree (and I have always used the word peachy when I need to denote the kind of sarcasm that is not available with fonts)...I believe in the good that can come from looking at the potential bright side while still planning and preparing for any scenario...

I also don't need you need to start making $160K in the first year of a legal career to consider it a success or the education worthwhile...but I realize I may be in the minority (especially on TLS!) in that regard...perhaps that is because I am "older" and have already had a career success...

Whatever the case, I will pay close attention yet remain positive. I don't believe there is any other way to live!

starrydecisus

Silver

Post by starrydecisus » Fri May 21, 2010 7:57 pm

So...I called today, and apparently, I got my THIRD choice! I guess many people went cheap like me because my first choices were the three bedroom efficiencies :P

I got the 2 bedroom efficiency!! Still happy :) This makes it real. Can't wait to find out who my roommate is!

starrydecisus

Silver

Post by starrydecisus » Fri May 21, 2010 9:40 pm

zacharysmith89 wrote: Although I'm not a 'Good Wife' fan, if you good-wife person are reading this, invite me for the episodes when she's a bad wife!
Haha, oh she definitely leaves it up to interpretation. She may not live up the title in the finale this Tuesday :)

Kim617

Silver

Post by Kim617 » Fri May 21, 2010 11:39 pm

starrydecisus wrote:So...I called today, and apparently, I got my THIRD choice! I guess many people went cheap like me because my first choices were the three bedroom efficiencies :P

I got the 2 bedroom efficiency!! Still happy :) This makes it real. Can't wait to find out who my roommate is!
Yeah, I kind of figured I'd get my first choice since it's the second most expensive one besides the single. Hopefully I get to find out my roommate soon, it should be tomorrow if they sent them out on Wednesday.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

volsi

Bronze

Post by volsi » Fri May 21, 2010 11:54 pm

Kim617 wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:
Kim617 wrote:Wow, Fordham just doesn't give up. After withdrawing TWICE (they ignored me the first time, gave confirmation of my withdrawal the second time), they sent me a book about Fordham, and two envelopes in which I can send my deposits. I'm worried that they still aren't accepting my withdrawal.

Next week they'll probably send you your class schedule.
Haha I just don't understand why they're sending me stuff...

Brooklyn Law keeps begging me to go to their summer 0L program and to send my deposit in. It's been more than a month past their deadline and I've withdrawn twice. I also keep getting postcards from Liberty University. Uh, I don't think they know what they're doing, I would be a poor fit at best.

Also, done with work! My manager was being really annoying so at about 3 pm I asked to go on break, clocked out and left. I felt nervous, that american work ethic has been beaten into me. But I am done!

Platinum

Post by 02122015 » Sat May 22, 2010 1:26 am

Last edited by 02122015 on Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Burberry by Burberry

Bronze

Post by Burberry by Burberry » Sat May 22, 2010 4:28 am

volsi wrote:Also, done with work! My manager was being really annoying so at about 3 pm I asked to go on break, clocked out and left. I felt nervous, that american work ethic has been beaten into me. But I am done!
Yay, Volsi!!

Topher

New

Post by Topher » Sat May 22, 2010 8:54 am

starrydecisus wrote:
zacharysmith89 wrote: Although I'm not a 'Good Wife' fan, if you good-wife person are reading this, invite me for the episodes when she's a bad wife!
Haha, oh she definitely leaves it up to interpretation. She may not live up the title in the finale this Tuesday :)
Can I point out that if she doesn't appear on stage on the finale Tuesday she will not only not live up to the title of the show (therefore making the show's name superfluous), but she will potentially also lose the big client she brought in to beat out Cary/Kerry/Kary/Kerrie/Kerrey(?). So I'm pretty sure I know where the finale is going.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

starrydecisus

Silver

Post by starrydecisus » Sat May 22, 2010 11:01 am

Topher wrote:
starrydecisus wrote:
Can I point out that if she doesn't appear on stage on the finale Tuesday she will not only not live up to the title of the show (therefore making the show's name superfluous), but she will potentially also lose the big client she brought in to beat out Cary/Kerry/Kary/Kerrie/Kerrey(?). So I'm pretty sure I know where the finale is going.
Cary. haha

Well, I HEARD that the producers said that the finale is very unexpected and something they wouldn't have done if they weren't secure about the show's standing. So who knows. I'm very worried about her losing the client, though!!! However, she DID always say no photo ops. I don't know. I DO want her to talk to Will though :)

And also, the title is less a label and more of a question--What does it mean to be "The Good Wife"? And Alicia's struggles in figuring that out.

TTTGrad

New

Post by TTTGrad » Sat May 22, 2010 11:44 am

While you kids discuss the finale of the "Good Wife," and dream about the biglaw life, you may want to listen to what 5 Georgetown 3Ls think about the legal economy and their employment prospects (hint: none will be earning 6 figures and one is even hanging a shingle).

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... =127041058

A few months ago, a GULC alum put his law degree on ebay for sale and it fetched $450.00. If you ask me, he made out like a bandit. Kids, the legal profession has flatlined. Biglaw has downsized and is outsourcing $160K jobs to India and the Phillippines to barristers that will gladly work for minimum wage. All biglaw cares about is PPP. Attending GULC today is only smart if you have 1) a free ride; 2) can live with family; and, 3) have a guaranteed job through connections. Being the bottom of the T14 just won't cut it in this economy when you have recent Harvard Law grads who cannot find legal jobs. Many of you are blindly optimistic that Obama's green shoots and stimulus plans are working. If that is the case, then why is biglaw re-deferring the Class of 2009 or outright rescinding offers? Check the National Law Journal if you don't believe me. Many of you are very naive. "Peachy" is not a word to be comingled with the legal profession, even in the Golden Era of law (1980s-early '90s).

Kim617

Silver

Post by Kim617 » Sat May 22, 2010 11:46 am

Anyway....

GOT MY ROOMMATE ASSIGNMENT TODAY!!! Except... she's not on facebook. I'm dying here. I e-mailed her, so hopefully she'll get back to me.

beef wellington

Silver

Post by beef wellington » Sat May 22, 2010 11:49 am

TTTGrad wrote:[strike]While you kids discuss the finale of the "Good Wife," and dream about the biglaw life, you may want to listen to what 5 Georgetown 3Ls think about the legal economy and their employment prospects (hint: none will be earning 6 figures and one is even hanging a shingle).

A few months ago, a GULC alum put his law degree on ebay for sale and it fetched $450.00. If you ask me, he made out like a bandit. Kids, the legal profession has flatlined. Biglaw has downsized and is outsourcing $160K jobs to India and the Phillippines to barristers that will gladly work for minimum wage. All biglaw cares about is PPP. Attending GULC today is only smart if you have 1) a free ride; 2) can live with family; and, 3) have a guaranteed job through connections. Being the bottom of the T14 just won't cut it in this economy when you have recent Harvard Law grads who cannot find legal jobs. Many of you are blindly optimistic that Obama's green shoots and stimulus plans are working. If that is the case, then why is biglaw re-deferring the Class of 2009 or outright rescinding offers? Check the National Law Journal if you don't believe me. Many of you are very naive. "Peachy" is not a word to be comingled with the legal profession, even in the Golden Era of law (1980s-early '90s).[/strike]

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

starrydecisus

Silver

Post by starrydecisus » Sat May 22, 2010 11:55 am

beef wellington wrote:
TTTGrad wrote:[strike]While you kids discuss the finale of the "Good Wife," and dream about the biglaw life, you may want to listen to what 5 Georgetown 3Ls think about the legal economy and their employment prospects (hint: none will be earning 6 figures and one is even hanging a shingle).

A few months ago, a GULC alum put his law degree on ebay for sale and it fetched $450.00. If you ask me, he made out like a bandit. Kids, the legal profession has flatlined. Biglaw has downsized and is outsourcing $160K jobs to India and the Phillippines to barristers that will gladly work for minimum wage. All biglaw cares about is PPP. Attending GULC today is only smart if you have 1) a free ride; 2) can live with family; and, 3) have a guaranteed job through connections. Being the bottom of the T14 just won't cut it in this economy when you have recent Harvard Law grads who cannot find legal jobs. Many of you are blindly optimistic that Obama's green shoots and stimulus plans are working. If that is the case, then why is biglaw re-deferring the Class of 2009 or outright rescinding offers? Check the National Law Journal if you don't believe me. Many of you are very naive. "Peachy" is not a word to be comingled with the legal profession, even in the Golden Era of law (1980s-early '90s).[/strike]
+1

starrydecisus

Silver

Post by starrydecisus » Sat May 22, 2010 12:12 pm

Kim617 wrote:Anyway....

GOT MY ROOMMATE ASSIGNMENT TODAY!!! Except... she's not on facebook. I'm dying here. I e-mailed her, so hopefully she'll get back to me.
AHHH!! But how are you supposed to stalk her?! ;) Hahaha! I'm dying because the mail doesn't come for another hour here! ahhhh!!!

dk8

Bronze

Post by dk8 » Sat May 22, 2010 12:13 pm

TTTGrad wrote:While you kids discuss the finale of the "Good Wife," and dream about the biglaw life, you may want to listen to what 5 Georgetown 3Ls think about the legal economy and their employment prospects (hint: none will be earning 6 figures and one is even hanging a shingle).

A few months ago, a GULC alum put his law degree on ebay for sale and it fetched $450.00. If you ask me, he made out like a bandit. Kids, the legal profession has flatlined. Biglaw has downsized and is outsourcing $160K jobs to India and the Phillippines to barristers that will gladly work for minimum wage. All biglaw cares about is PPP. Attending GULC today is only smart if you have 1) a free ride; 2) can live with family; and, 3) have a guaranteed job through connections. Being the bottom of the T14 just won't cut it in this economy when you have recent Harvard Law grads who cannot find legal jobs. Many of you are blindly optimistic that Obama's green shoots and stimulus plans are working. If that is the case, then why is biglaw re-deferring the Class of 2009 or outright rescinding offers? Check the National Law Journal if you don't believe me. Many of you are very naive. "Peachy" is not a word to be comingled with the legal profession, even in the Golden Era of law (1980s-early '90s).
The dude who put his degree up for sale was in biglaw. --LinkRemoved--. The market is defnitely shit right now, but that anecdote does nothing to prove your point. /feedingtroll

nowinGA

Bronze

Post by nowinGA » Sat May 22, 2010 12:39 pm

starrydecisus wrote:
beef wellington wrote:

+1
+1...it wasn't until I found TLS that I learned that the only goal of a law degree is BigLaw...

And as Kim said...ANYWAY...

I found out I got the rooming assignment I wanted! Yay. Peachy indeed. Now I just have to wait to get the actual paper. Mine is headed to the midwest, so I imagine I may not get it as fast as Kim in the big apple...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Interminable_Waiting

Bronze

Post by Interminable_Waiting » Sat May 22, 2010 1:00 pm

Just listened to that Podcast.

One is a big law associate who has been deferred. One is joining a federal agency. One is running for office in Maine. One is joining his friend's practice in Cali. One seems to be in
trouble. So I'm not sure what the point of that was.... 80% of them seem happy, graduating in the toughest legal economy ever. I'll take those odds.

starrydecisus

Silver

Post by starrydecisus » Sat May 22, 2010 1:13 pm

No housing mail today in Florida. Guess I'll be waiting till Monday!

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Sat May 22, 2010 1:43 pm

starrydecisus wrote:No housing mail today in Florida. Guess I'll be waiting till Monday!
Me too in SC, very sad.

Platinum

Post by 02122015 » Sat May 22, 2010 2:18 pm

Last edited by 02122015 on Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”