GULC c/o 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)

Postby 02122015 » Fri May 21, 2010 6:31 am

Last edited by 02122015 on Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

teabag

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby teabag » Fri May 21, 2010 6:47 am

ill be at GULC in august!

nax425

Postby nax425 » Fri May 21, 2010 9:09 am

beef wellington wrote:
nowinGA wrote:Okay, so I officially became a member of the class of 2013 today! Accepted off of the SPWL early last week and received my financial aid package today. Quite happy with it! That said...you all have me dreading this damn blue form.

Question: Any thoughts on work study? Are people doing it? Not doing it? I can't decide...it is hard to imagine exactly what it will entail and how it will play into our schedules.

Oh, and I am a hopeful Curriculum B'er...

Can't wait!

Congrats!

Not doing it! My excuse being that a higher GPA (supposedly due to increased study time) will pay dividends compared to saving a few thousand up front. A higher paying job when I graduate will make the loans appear less daunting. Just my 2 cents.

nowinGA

Postby nowinGA » Fri May 21, 2010 10:30 am

nax425 wrote:
beef wellington wrote:
nowinGA wrote:Okay, so I officially became a member of the class of 2013 today! Accepted off of the SPWL early last week and received my financial aid package today. Quite happy with it! That said...you all have me dreading this damn blue form.

Question: Any thoughts on work study? Are people doing it? Not doing it? I can't decide...it is hard to imagine exactly what it will entail and how it will play into our schedules.

Can't wait!

Congrats!

Not doing it! My excuse being that a higher GPA (supposedly due to increased study time) will pay dividends compared to saving a few thousand up front. A higher paying job when I graduate will make the loans appear less daunting. Just my 2 cents.

Yeah, I mean, that is a good argument. I have also heard the argument that it is easy and can actually be a good way to meet people...not only classmates but other people who come to campus for whatever reason (depending on the job placement, I suppose)...I don't know. Less borrowing seems like a good idea...but I agree that I want to give myself the best chance to do well in terms of grades.

zacharysmith89

Postby zacharysmith89 » Fri May 21, 2010 10:38 am

nowinGA wrote:
nax425 wrote:
beef wellington wrote:

Can't wait!

Congrats!

Yeah, I mean, that is a good argument. I have also heard the argument that it is easy and can actually be a good way to meet people...not only classmates but other people who come to campus for whatever reason (depending on the job placement, I suppose)...I don't know. Less borrowing seems like a good idea...but I agree that I want to give myself the best chance to do well in terms of grades.

As a piano/organ player, I plan to find a church to play for. I now make $100/wk for 3hrs + 2hrs commute. Hope to make more in GULC's urban prices. I just think that a little cash flow would be nice.

The ideal job would be flexible so that you could adjust your hours according to study-load. Thank you, yes, I am Capt. Obvious.

nowinGA

Postby nowinGA » Fri May 21, 2010 10:46 am

zacharysmith89 wrote:
nowinGA wrote:
nax425 wrote:\

Can't wait!

As a piano/organ player, I plan to find a church to play for. I now make $100/wk for 3hrs + 2hrs commute. Hope to make more in GULC's urban prices. I just think that a little cash flow would be nice.

The ideal job would be flexible so that you could adjust your hours according to study-load. Thank you, yes, I am Capt. Obvious.

So if we do have something like that, are we not allowed to do it? Is the limit of "working" hours 10 in the first year? (I can't remember at GULC)...I mean, work study is just a weird scenario because I have to have the money either way...so it doesn't feel like it is adding to my cash flow...(that is, I need it to cover my cost of living)...so part of me is with you. Just take the WS money as loans, and do "flexible" work (I may have some too) like you describe above to get a little extra cash...and spend the extra 10 hours you may or may not have doing that.

zacharysmith89

Postby zacharysmith89 » Fri May 21, 2010 10:55 am

Anyone planning to be in the GGSS (Georgetown's Gilbert & Sullivan Society)?

Also, I'm looking for a housemate(s). Not sure I like Gerwitz's(sp?) offer. See my profile for details!

And...just throwing this out there...U of Alabama had a 'Moderate Law Students' group which arranged debates between the Republican and Democrat LS groups. Any interest in this happening at GULC?

Additionally, for this fourth subject in as many paragraphs beginning with 'A,' (<--where the hell does that comma go?!) I would like to know something about the 3/B-curriculum. How will it affect my GPA? I may transfer after 1L, so GPA is big. I believe that 3/B's will be given a curve-grade against other 3/B's, not the entire class? Even so, it seems that many choose A due to B's reading load, and B tends to attract older (maturer?) students, so competition will be less stiff in A? Apart from GPA, does anyone else get the vibe that B is better for those thinking of Private International Law?

Although I'm not a 'Good Wife' fan, if you good-wife person are reading this, invite me for the episodes when she's a bad wife!

beef wellington

Postby beef wellington » Fri May 21, 2010 10:56 am

I saw someone on TLS say that work study isn't actually taken out of the loans you're eligible for like it is in UG but is actually given out in addition to your loans. That is, you'll be eligible for the same amount in loans whether or not you do work study. Does anyone know if this is right?

zacharysmith89

Postby zacharysmith89 » Fri May 21, 2010 10:59 am

I've read that the limit is 20hrs/wk. I sure as hell won't be working more than that, anyway. Idk if/how my type of plan would affect fin-aid.

@ beef: I also think WS is above loans, unless stated otherwise, but not sure.

nowinGA

Postby nowinGA » Fri May 21, 2010 11:00 am

beef wellington wrote:I saw someone on TLS say that work study isn't actually taken out of the loans you're eligible for like it is in UG but is actually given out in addition to your loans. That is, you'll be eligible for the same amount in loans whether or not you do work study. Does anyone know if this is right?

Not from what I discussed with financial aid. That portion of your package (the $68K total package) is either work study OR loans. But you cannot go above the $68K. Unless you do a budget adjustments for qualifying expenses.

Interminable_Waiting

Postby Interminable_Waiting » Fri May 21, 2010 11:16 am

nowinGA wrote:
beef wellington wrote:I saw someone on TLS say that work study isn't actually taken out of the loans you're eligible for like it is in UG but is actually given out in addition to your loans. That is, you'll be eligible for the same amount in loans whether or not you do work study. Does anyone know if this is right?

Not from what I discussed with financial aid. That portion of your package (the $68K total package) is either work study OR loans. But you cannot go above the $68K. Unless you do a budget adjustments for qualifying expenses.

Pretty sure GA is right.

Also, I just did all this loan stuff, and the screen errors when I get to the end of the GradPLUS app and try to have them check my credit. Did this happen to anyone else?

Or did I just mess up and I'm really trying to apply for a special culinary school loan or something....

waxloaf

Postby waxloaf » Fri May 21, 2010 11:44 am

Hi all,

I will be at Gtown Part Time this fall and have a question regarding employment for the other part timers. Will you guys/gals be looking for jobs for the fall? I am on the edge about whether to find a part time position (20 hours a week or so) right off the bat.

An attorney in my office did part time for all four years and worked 40 hour weeks and basically lived on 4 hours of sleep a night which sounds awful. He has told me though that employers will look badly on someone who did not take a full course load and also did not work. I don't want to look like a slacker but I also don't want to take on more than I can handle.

What do you guys think? Will you be working and doing PT?

Also, I hope to transfer to FT after the first year, so maybe all this worrying doesn't really matter.

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Fri May 21, 2010 11:56 am

nowinGA wrote:
nax425 wrote:
beef wellington wrote:

Can't wait!

Congrats!

See, I accept work study, but I'm not sure I'll actually do it. We'll see when I see what's available. The Fin. Aid office said that we can always cancel it and get the loans instead.

beef wellington

Postby beef wellington » Fri May 21, 2010 12:07 pm

waxloaf wrote:Hi all,

I will be at Gtown Part Time this fall and have a question regarding employment for the other part timers. Will you guys/gals be looking for jobs for the fall? I am on the edge about whether to find a part time position (20 hours a week or so) right off the bat.

An attorney in my office did part time for all four years and worked 40 hour weeks and basically lived on 4 hours of sleep a night which sounds awful. He has told me though that employers will look badly on someone who did not take a full course load and also did not work. I don't want to look like a slacker but I also don't want to take on more than I can handle.

Also, I hope to transfer to FT after the first year, so maybe all this worrying doesn't really matter.

I will be slacking. Hard.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Fri May 21, 2010 12:33 pm

beef wellington wrote:
waxloaf wrote:Hi all,

I will be slacking. Hard.

<------Will be slacking even harder

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Fri May 21, 2010 12:58 pm

Wow, Fordham just doesn't give up. After withdrawing TWICE (they ignored me the first time, gave confirmation of my withdrawal the second time), they sent me a book about Fordham, and two envelopes in which I can send my deposits. I'm worried that they still aren't accepting my withdrawal.

Revisionist

Postby Revisionist » Fri May 21, 2010 1:03 pm

It's three months until move-in day at Gewirz!

Finally signed up for Curriculum B a couple days ago. It was what I originally planned on doing, but I started to have some doubts once it was time to actually make the decision. I did some more research and basically reconfirmed all of the reasons I was interested in it in the first place though, so now I definitely feel like I made the right call. Hopefully I will still agree with that in a few years!

dk8

Postby dk8 » Fri May 21, 2010 1:04 pm

Revisionist wrote:It's three months until move-in day at Gewirz!

Finally signed up for Curriculum B a couple days ago. It was what I originally planned on doing, but I started to have some doubts once it was time to actually make the decision. I did some more research and basically reconfirmed all of the reasons I was interested in it in the first place though, so now I definitely feel like I made the right call. Hopefully I will still agree with that in a few years!

When do the Gewirz people get to move in?

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Fri May 21, 2010 1:05 pm

Kim617 wrote:Wow, Fordham just doesn't give up. After withdrawing TWICE (they ignored me the first time, gave confirmation of my withdrawal the second time), they sent me a book about Fordham, and two envelopes in which I can send my deposits. I'm worried that they still aren't accepting my withdrawal.

Next week they'll probably send you your class schedule.

Postby 02122015 » Fri May 21, 2010 1:45 pm

Last edited by 02122015 on Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Fri May 21, 2010 2:17 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:
Kim617 wrote:Wow, Fordham just doesn't give up. After withdrawing TWICE (they ignored me the first time, gave confirmation of my withdrawal the second time), they sent me a book about Fordham, and two envelopes in which I can send my deposits. I'm worried that they still aren't accepting my withdrawal.

Next week they'll probably send you your class schedule.

Haha I just don't understand why they're sending me stuff...

nowinGA

Postby nowinGA » Fri May 21, 2010 3:26 pm

Hey all. What did you guys get in the mail from GULC? I recall discussion of some kind of portfolio...How long did you get that after you were admitted? Just curious...and trying to keep myself busy now that my 30-school cycle is OVER!

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Fri May 21, 2010 3:27 pm

nowinGA wrote:Hey all. What did you guys get in the mail from GULC? I recall discussion of some kind of portfolio...How long did you get that after you were admitted? Just curious...and trying to keep myself busy now that my 30-school cycle is OVER!

I think it came after like three weeks.

Revisionist

Postby Revisionist » Fri May 21, 2010 5:38 pm

My girlfriend just told me there were some Georgetown Law students on NPR tonight talking about the legal job market. The audio is going to be up here tonight. Did anyone else hear it?

dk8

Postby dk8 » Fri May 21, 2010 6:45 pm

Revisionist wrote:My girlfriend just told me there were some Georgetown Law students on NPR tonight talking about the legal job market. The audio is going to be up here tonight. Did anyone else hear it?

I'm sure that'll be a scary clip to hear. Although an anonymous source posted some stats in the Leak your OCI stats thread that suggests last OCI wasn't as bad as the worst case scenario ppl predicted.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”