GULC c/o 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
dancinginseptember

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby dancinginseptember » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:15 am

please do try and get pics of gewirz rooms.
and have fun! i wish i could be there to meet yall.

things to look forward to in the DC area*

sweetgreen
--ImageRemoved--
--ImageRemoved--

cupcakes

*ignoring the student budget element for a spell

chutzpah

Postby chutzpah » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:49 pm

Hey guys! Really excited to be joining you. Went DR today and I'm able to log into the admitted students site so unless they made a big mistake I guess I'm in! Sad that I missed the ASD since I live in DC and could have easily strolled over if they had admitted me a few days earlier. Looking forward to reading impressions of the event and possibly meeting some of you.

Interminable_Waiting

Postby Interminable_Waiting » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:58 pm

Congrats on the acceptance. I think I will post in this thread for a while so as not to upset the ppl who were just rejected. The ASD was pretty awesome, and I am 90% sure that Georgetown is where I am going. I will post some reactions when I get back to my computer (the iPhone is a trial to type on without majorly screwing up words). Post or PM questions about the ASD and I will be happy to answer them, as I'm sure will others.

jml8756

Postby jml8756 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:52 pm

Interminable_Waiting wrote:I think I will post in this thread for a while so as not to upset the ppl who were just rejected.

The other thread is very chaotic. Every time a group goes DR there are 5 pages of freak-out posts about it. It would be nice to see a shift of some of the substantive discussion over to this thread in general, so we don't have to sort through 300 pages of posts.

Interminable_Waiting

Postby Interminable_Waiting » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:55 pm

jml8756 wrote:
Interminable_Waiting wrote:I think I will post in this thread for a while so as not to upset the ppl who were just rejected.

The other thread is very chaotic. Every time a group goes DR there are 5 pages of freak-out posts about it. It would be nice to see a shift of some of the substantive discussion over to this thread in general, so we don't have to sort through 300 pages of posts.

That is what I am hoping for.

hannah87

Postby hannah87 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:58 pm

Interminable_Waiting wrote:Congrats on the acceptance. I think I will post in this thread for a while so as not to upset the ppl who were just rejected. The ASD was pretty awesome, and I am 90% sure that Georgetown is where I am going. I will post some reactions when I get back to my computer (the iPhone is a trial to type on without majorly screwing up words). Post or PM questions about the ASD and I will be happy to answer them, as I'm sure will others.

nooo, we're getting in NYU! :wink:

Interminable_Waiting

Postby Interminable_Waiting » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:28 pm

That is the 10%.

chutzpah

Postby chutzpah » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:58 pm

What was the vibe from students and admits? I went to another ASD a couple of weeks ago and liked the faculty and administration presentations but was not impressed by the students. I don't need all of my peers to be geniuses, but I want them to be relatively impressive, intelligent and interesting. Were they happy? Engaged? Friendly? Old/young? etc?

Did any of the panels or discussions address the large class size? I've worked in DC for four years and other gtown grad programs definitely have the "diploma mill" reputation. I don't work in a legal field so I don't know much about the law school's reputation but people on this forum certainly hate on Georgetown for being big.

I'm happy to answer questions about DC life and neighborhoods and stuff since I've been here awhile.

Interminable_Waiting

Postby Interminable_Waiting » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:09 pm

chutzpah wrote:What was the vibe from students and admits? I went to another ASD a couple of weeks ago and liked the faculty and administration presentations but was not impressed by the students. I don't need all of my peers to be geniuses, but I want them to be relatively impressive, intelligent and interesting. Were they happy? Engaged? Friendly? Old/young? etc?

Did any of the panels or discussions address the large class size? I've worked in DC for four years and other gtown grad programs definitely have the "diploma mill" reputation. I don't work in a legal field so I don't know much about the law school's reputation but people on this forum certainly hate on Georgetown for being big.

I'm happy to answer questions about DC life and neighborhoods and stuff since I've been here awhile.

Okay I just had a great dinner at an Ethiopian restaurant (not available where I'm from) and I'm just chilling at my hotel for a bit, so I will attempt to iPhone type.

The current and former students I met were mixed - some did seem brilliant and had very impressive resumes, life experiences, and eloquently explained why they chose Georgetown. The biggest reason seemed to be the incredible location and all of the opportunities that come from being walking distance to the Capitol building and Supreme Court. Other students were not that impressive-one basically said they chose Georgetown because they wanted to attend Obama's inauguration, which I think is an odd reason to choose a law school. I spoke extensively with a half dozen prospectives, and about half impressed me intellectually. I wasn't really disappointed in the quality overall though. I would prefer a place where there are plenty of brilliant and engaging people to speak with and also some who I feel confident that I can crush when it comes time for exams. Georgetown seems like it will have a good mix.

As far as size, that did come up a lot, and it has concerned me in the past as well. Every single person who spoke about it though really framed it as a positive. The common answers were that the size resulted in a really large alumni base, and that Georgetown thus has connections everwhere. Also, the size leads to a huge amount of choice in elective classes, as well as 2 different 1L curriculums, and an array of clinics.

I'm not sure how long this post is, but it took forever to type. I will ask some DC questions in the next few days.

amolson04

Postby amolson04 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:04 pm

Thanks to everyone who posted their impressions of the ASW. GULC is definitely my first choice out of the schools that have admitted me thus far so it looks like there's a good chance I'll be joining you all there in the fall.

Does anyone have any more info/impressions of Gewirz?

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:02 am

I tried posting my impressions on the other gtown thread, but like everyone mentioned they're too busy debating nonsense. I'm on my blackberry so it'll be short and maybe when I get home tonight I can post more. I was actually impressed with gewirz. The building is really nice and the rooms are decent. And supposedly they're refurbishing them this summer.

As far as the current students I met, all were really nice and helpful. I mentioned to this 1L that I'd love to see a gewirz room and she called up her friend and took me to his room and he actually was telling us about the types of rooms and he let me see his closet. Sorry that's probably irrelevant to most but I have a walk-in now and closet space is very important! They're actually decent size. Okay my thumbs are starting to hurt so I'll post more when I get home!

mrm2083

Postby mrm2083 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:23 pm

It's nice to hear that Gewirz is nice. That is probably what I'm most worried about since I've lived at home for college and so have always had my nice room with my full size bed lol. Did they describe how they are remodeling it?

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:10 pm

mrm2083 wrote:It's nice to hear that Gewirz is nice. That is probably what I'm most worried about since I've lived at home for college and so have always had my nice room with my full size bed lol. Did they describe how they are remodeling it?

Ha I know what you mean. My bed at home is a four poster canopy with a pillow top mattress. I think they said something along the lines of working on the kitchens, updating them with new appliances (which they could definitely use).

SDWaterBaby

Postby SDWaterBaby » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:32 pm

Does anyone know how many 1ls get housing at gewirz?

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:07 pm

SDWaterBaby wrote:Does anyone know how many 1ls get housing at gewirz?

From what they said, no one has ever been turned away that wanted a room. I know it's a lottery, but I think a total of 290 students can fit, and it's reserved for 1Ls, and it usually works out that everyone who wants a room can get one.

starrydecisus

Postby starrydecisus » Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:26 pm

Hey, everyone! Joining this thread and Just wanted to say hi. :)

volsi

Postby volsi » Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:38 pm

Anyone else from the ASW who is both excited and embarrassed to be wearing a "Hoya Lawya" T-shirt?
I'm thinking mine will get restricted to the gym.

[Also; long time lurker, finally joined to say hi to my future classmates.]

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:09 pm

volsi wrote:Anyone else from the ASW who is both excited and embarrassed to be wearing a "Hoya Lawya" T-shirt?

LOL i'm going to wear mine to bed. i doubt i'll be walking around in public in it :)

edit to say that thank God they took into consideration that girls would be attending. 9 times out of 10 places only have huge sizes, and finally, a small t shirt that fits me!
Last edited by Kim617 on Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

starrydecisus

Postby starrydecisus » Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:11 pm

Kim617 wrote:
volsi wrote:Anyone else from the ASW who is both excited and embarrassed to be wearing a "Hoya Lawya" T-shirt?

LOL i'm going to wear mine to bed. i doubt i'll be walking around in public in it :)

HAHA I wear mine all the time :P But I'm a dork!

volsi

Postby volsi » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:17 pm

Yes, thank god for girl's sizes. I have to buy sweatshirts in a kid's extra large, so not having a sleeping bag for a shirt was a definite plus.

There was definite gender parity at the ASW, which is another plus. I was really impressed and happy.

Starry, love your Alicia Florrick avatar. Good Wife is the best thing on tv right now.

starrydecisus

Postby starrydecisus » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:09 pm

volsi wrote:Yes, thank god for girl's sizes. I have to buy sweatshirts in a kid's extra large, so not having a sleeping bag for a shirt was a definite plus.

There was definite gender parity at the ASW, which is another plus. I was really impressed and happy.

Starry, love your Alicia Florrick avatar. Good Wife is the best thing on tv right now.

Thanks!! I love your avatar too :) I think it's awesome that both Alicia and Will went to GULC! I love whenever they sneak in references to their time there!

volsi

Postby volsi » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:46 pm

You know, letting smart pop culture inform my opinions has never done me wrong. (Maybe I should go into advertising law...)
When I started watching Good Wife, their referencing Georgetown all the time did nothing but raise my impression of the school. Actual research reinforced it, but hearing them say it on TV week in and week out makes me feel pretty awesome. Like, "My future law school is way famous!"

Notice no one ever name checks UVA or Northwestern on TV.

starrydecisus

Postby starrydecisus » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:06 am

volsi wrote:You know, letting smart pop culture inform my opinions has never done me wrong. (Maybe I should go into advertising law...)
When I started watching Good Wife, their referencing Georgetown all the time did nothing but raise my impression of the school. Actual research reinforced it, but hearing them say it on TV week in and week out makes me feel pretty awesome. Like, "My future law school is way famous!"

Notice no one ever name checks UVA or Northwestern on TV.

Hahaha that's awesome! And true about the other schools. I was watching Law and Order or maybe SVU right after I got accepted and they totally name-dropped Georgetown Law Review :)

There was an interesting article on GULC's site about The Good Wife you might enjoy :

http://www.law.georgetown.edu/news/webs ... 19.09.html

Edit: It's like our avatars are talking to each other :)

Postby 02122015 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:45 am

Last edited by 02122015 on Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 02122015 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:52 am

Last edited by 02122015 on Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”