GULC c/o 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
User avatar
scribelaw
Posts: 771
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby scribelaw » Thu May 20, 2010 10:02 am

I got a two-bedroom apartment at Gewirz.

Not sure if I'm going to take it. I might do a studio in Dupont Circle.

User avatar
js87
Posts: 434
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:42 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby js87 » Thu May 20, 2010 10:33 am

Torvon wrote:
Kim617 wrote:
MSPeast wrote:I couldn't accept the PLUS loans either. I did get a pop-up message warning me not to apply for PLUS loans too early though... guess I'll just do it again later this summer.

Really? I thought we had to do everything by June 1st? Should I have not done everything?

Ugh, I'm tired of worrying about this when I still have another final tomorrow.


Technically you weren't suppose to submit the application for GradPLUS until 90 days prior to September 1. However, seeing as how everything on their website except for a side not inside of myaccess says the exact opposite of that I'm guessing there are a lot of people in that same situation. All it really means is that you'll have to resubmit an application 90 days from when you submitted it the first time. The 90 day thing is the length of time that the credit check is good for and they won't run another credit check until the one you already had is expired.



I just called the financial aid office. They're extremely helpful and friendly, despite all the stupid questions I've asked them. He said that the reason we can't accept the PLUS loans yet is because they haven't certified them and put them in the system yet. They're going to do it in June. He said we won't have to reapply for loans over the summer, despite that 90 days warning. Once they're certified and we accept them, we're OK.

Also, I got a 2 bedroom in Gewirz, so I'm stoked. Glad to know where I'll be living in a few months!

User avatar
Unitas
Posts: 1387
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby Unitas » Thu May 20, 2010 10:39 am

scribelaw wrote:I got a two-bedroom apartment at Gewirz.

Not sure if I'm going to take it. I might do a studio in Dupont Circle.


How did you find out?? Mail or call?

Are they nice when you call?

User avatar
scribelaw
Posts: 771
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby scribelaw » Thu May 20, 2010 10:40 am

Unitas wrote:
scribelaw wrote:I got a two-bedroom apartment at Gewirz.

Not sure if I'm going to take it. I might do a studio in Dupont Circle.


How did you find out?? Mail or call?

Are they nice when you call?


I called residence life this morning. They were very friendly. Give them a call and see.

User avatar
js87
Posts: 434
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:42 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby js87 » Thu May 20, 2010 10:49 am

Unitas wrote:
scribelaw wrote:I got a two-bedroom apartment at Gewirz.

Not sure if I'm going to take it. I might do a studio in Dupont Circle.


How did you find out?? Mail or call?

Are they nice when you call?


I called, they're very friendly. They mailed them yesterday, so we should be receiving it in the mail soon.

User avatar
iamtaw
Posts: 166
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:22 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby iamtaw » Thu May 20, 2010 11:33 am

just called too. they seem to have the results at hand, my entire call was 20 seconds. got a 2 bedroom efficiency. I could live with paying $1200 a month. I will miss my current $475 including heat though...

tigrelis
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:05 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby tigrelis » Thu May 20, 2010 12:39 pm

I got the 2-bedroom corner efficiency. I'm guessing people who got the corner all wanted the corner specifically over a 2-bedroom efficiency and are willing to pay more. So I hope there's no trouble deciding who actually gets the corner room.

Torvon
Posts: 352
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby Torvon » Thu May 20, 2010 12:54 pm

js87 wrote:
Torvon wrote:
Kim617 wrote:
MSPeast wrote:I couldn't accept the PLUS loans either. I did get a pop-up message warning me not to apply for PLUS loans too early though... guess I'll just do it again later this summer.

Really? I thought we had to do everything by June 1st? Should I have not done everything?

Ugh, I'm tired of worrying about this when I still have another final tomorrow.


Technically you weren't suppose to submit the application for GradPLUS until 90 days prior to September 1. However, seeing as how everything on their website except for a side not inside of myaccess says the exact opposite of that I'm guessing there are a lot of people in that same situation. All it really means is that you'll have to resubmit an application 90 days from when you submitted it the first time. The 90 day thing is the length of time that the credit check is good for and they won't run another credit check until the one you already had is expired.



I just called the financial aid office. They're extremely helpful and friendly, despite all the stupid questions I've asked them. He said that the reason we can't accept the PLUS loans yet is because they haven't certified them and put them in the system yet. They're going to do it in June. He said we won't have to reapply for loans over the summer, despite that 90 days warning. Once they're certified and we accept them, we're OK.


That's interesting because it's still basically a contradiction of what myaccess seems to imply. From what I've read the important part of having passed the credit check is not the at the time the school approves the loan, rather it's when the actual disbursement takes place which Federal law prohibits from being any earlier than 10 days before the start of class.

edit: I'm not saying he's wrong and I'm right, just pointing out that the amount of information about this loan process that is currently available and contradicting is insane.

gobears09
Posts: 197
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:22 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby gobears09 » Thu May 20, 2010 1:28 pm

Just called for my housing assignment, got a Large 2 Bedroom which was either my first or second choice, cant remember. The guy that answered the phone started laughing and said "I tell ONE person their housing assignment and I get FLOODED with calls..." Word spread fast over the internet.

Also just realized how unbelievably expensive these apartments are. Ugh.

User avatar
starrydecisus
Posts: 547
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:31 am

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby starrydecisus » Thu May 20, 2010 2:34 pm

my fellow hoyas!! I have missed you all. I really wish I could call but I'm at work. I'm the receptionist, so I won't be able to call until lunch tomorrow! Boo. I can't wait for all of us to know our assignments/roommates!

User avatar
Kim617
Posts: 784
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:36 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby Kim617 » Thu May 20, 2010 3:18 pm

Just called, got the large two bedroom apartment like I wanted! So happy! Can't wait to find out who my roommate is.

stace83
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:53 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby stace83 » Thu May 20, 2010 3:27 pm

Hi everyone! Can someone please help me out with the my access thing? Is that different than the need access? I applied for all my loans last week and I just read on here that we need to accept them on my access. So, I signed onto the need access account and they show me as not having applied for loans at all. Is there an entirely different site called my access that I just don't know about? Confusing! Thanks for the help.

gobears09
Posts: 197
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:22 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby gobears09 » Thu May 20, 2010 3:28 pm

Kim617 wrote:Just called, got the large two bedroom apartment like I wanted! So happy! Can't wait to find out who my roommate is.


Maybe me! :)

User avatar
Revisionist
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby Revisionist » Thu May 20, 2010 3:49 pm

stace83 wrote:Hi everyone! Can someone please help me out with the my access thing? Is that different than the need access? I applied for all my loans last week and I just read on here that we need to accept them on my access. So, I signed onto the need access account and they show me as not having applied for loans at all. Is there an entirely different site called my access that I just don't know about? Confusing! Thanks for the help.

http://myaccess.georgetown.edu

You should have received your login info in the mail. Your userid should be your three initials and a number.

User avatar
nowinGA
Posts: 385
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:06 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby nowinGA » Thu May 20, 2010 6:15 pm

Okay, so I officially became a member of the class of 2013 today! Accepted off of the SPWL early last week and received my financial aid package today. Quite happy with it! That said...you all have me dreading this damn blue form.

Question: Any thoughts on work study? Are people doing it? Not doing it? I can't decide...it is hard to imagine exactly what it will entail and how it will play into our schedules.

Oh, and I am a hopeful Curriculum B'er...

Can't wait!

02122015
Posts: 5317
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:57 pm

.

Postby 02122015 » Thu May 20, 2010 6:51 pm

.
Last edited by 02122015 on Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stace83
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:53 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby stace83 » Thu May 20, 2010 7:11 pm

Thanks Revisionist!

User avatar
Unitas
Posts: 1387
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby Unitas » Thu May 20, 2010 7:36 pm

nowinGA wrote:Okay, so I officially became a member of the class of 2013 today! Accepted off of the SPWL early last week and received my financial aid package today. Quite happy with it! That said...you all have me dreading this damn blue form.

Question: Any thoughts on work study? Are people doing it? Not doing it? I can't decide...it is hard to imagine exactly what it will entail and how it will play into our schedules.

Oh, and I am a hopeful Curriculum B'er...


Can't wait!


I'm signed up for work study. The pay is like 17 dollars an hour and I believe it mentioned something about non-profits off campus. I'll wait until orientation to see if I will go through with it if I can get a job that is somewhat rewarding. I will not be doing groundswork or anything of the like (I am just horrible at manual labor). "I've never done FWS before."

Congrats to all those that know their room assignments. I don't want to call and get disappointed. I only signed up for the singles so it is likely I will end up on a waitlist. I've gotten that too much this cycle...

To whoever was worried about blue form: The blue form is the easiest out of everything. It takes about an hour and a half for the final steps if you do the entrance counseling too. Only problem is there are a lot of places that disagree when filing out the paperwork. One form says don't do it until July and then they tell you to do it before the blue form which is due June 1st. Stuff like that.

User avatar
beef wellington
Posts: 882
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:05 am

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby beef wellington » Thu May 20, 2010 8:13 pm

nowinGA wrote:Okay, so I officially became a member of the class of 2013 today! Accepted off of the SPWL early last week and received my financial aid package today. Quite happy with it! That said...you all have me dreading this damn blue form.

Question: Any thoughts on work study? Are people doing it? Not doing it? I can't decide...it is hard to imagine exactly what it will entail and how it will play into our schedules.

Oh, and I am a hopeful Curriculum B'er...

Can't wait!

Congrats!

User avatar
Topher
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:43 am

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby Topher » Thu May 20, 2010 8:24 pm

So I didn't get my single like I wanted, so I got the regular two bedroom but hopefully my roommate is cool. It will probably be fun to have someone to socialize with in my apartment anyways...

User avatar
volsi
Posts: 274
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:28 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby volsi » Thu May 20, 2010 8:36 pm

I'm so excited for you guys finding out!

Sorry I've been a little awol, but tomorrow is my last day at work. (!!!) I've been waiting to do the loans until work was done so I would have time to actually think about what I was signing.

And thanks everyone who's been calling about the loans and financial aid stuff. They've told us contradictory things, but I think all the stuff reconciles now.

02122015
Posts: 5317
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:57 pm

.

Postby 02122015 » Thu May 20, 2010 8:44 pm

.
Last edited by 02122015 on Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

02122015
Posts: 5317
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:57 pm

.

Postby 02122015 » Thu May 20, 2010 9:13 pm

.
Last edited by 02122015 on Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
volsi
Posts: 274
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:28 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby volsi » Thu May 20, 2010 10:30 pm

MSPeast wrote:
For the record, I'm a big loser and not remotely cool. Nobody likes me! I'm a big d-bag!!


I LOLed.

User avatar
D. H2Oman
Posts: 7469
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:47 am

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby D. H2Oman » Fri May 21, 2010 2:07 am

MSPeast wrote:For the record, I'm a big loser and not remotely cool. Nobody likes me! I'm a big d-bag!!

(It's 2010 and we still don't have a sarcasm font?) :wink:


lol, but seriously that's me. I'm "bankrupt" on the Wheel of Fortune of roommates.




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest