GULC c/o 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
User avatar
volsi
Posts: 274
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:28 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby volsi » Sat May 08, 2010 10:30 pm

Burberry by Burberry wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:
Burberry by Burberry wrote:I can/do wear shorts in January and dread having to buy winter clothes up north.


hmmmm, well what about this

--ImageRemoved--

It is beautiful - but I won't have a budget that can support my shopping habit. :cry:


Isn't that what loans are for? I thought the reason they let you have 22k in living expenses is so you can buy lots of suits and coats. I mean, rent and booze won't be that much. The rest is for clothes!

GoNU
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:14 am

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby GoNU » Sat May 08, 2010 10:40 pm

Topher wrote:
thatsnotmyname wrote:Hi all. I had a question about employment coming out of GULC that I wasn't sure where to post, so hopefully you guys know something about it. Do you guys think that it's easier for full-time students from GULC to get biglaw jobs when compared to the PT class? If so, how much easier? Are there any employment statistics from GULC that do not include the PT students? Thanks for any help.



I have absolutely no statistics to back up my claim, but I'd wager that a Georgetown Degree is a Georgetown Degree. Where in your class you graduate is likely far more important that full or part time. Depending on where you work on those hours that you're not spending at Law School like the rest of us, it's a possibility that the law firms may even like your work experience better. Again, this is a baseless claim from a guy who chose to do full-time based on advice from a guy I worked with at Senator Nelson's office.

For those of you who are doing GTown PT and then decided to switch to FT..were you able to secure a job/clerkship/or anything law related in the 2nd half of your 1L summer? What is the start and end date for the summer classes etc...does the entire 1st summer become a wash because you have to take 7 credits or is there still time to secure employment. Any details much appreciated!!

User avatar
volsi
Posts: 274
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:28 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby volsi » Sat May 08, 2010 10:58 pm

GoNU wrote:
Topher wrote:
thatsnotmyname wrote:Hi all. I had a question about employment coming out of GULC that I wasn't sure where to post, so hopefully you guys know something about it. Do you guys think that it's easier for full-time students from GULC to get biglaw jobs when compared to the PT class? If so, how much easier? Are there any employment statistics from GULC that do not include the PT students? Thanks for any help.



I have absolutely no statistics to back up my claim, but I'd wager that a Georgetown Degree is a Georgetown Degree. Where in your class you graduate is likely far more important that full or part time. Depending on where you work on those hours that you're not spending at Law School like the rest of us, it's a possibility that the law firms may even like your work experience better. Again, this is a baseless claim from a guy who chose to do full-time based on advice from a guy I worked with at Senator Nelson's office.

For those of you who are doing GTown PT and then decided to switch to FT..were you able to secure a job/clerkship/or anything law related in the 2nd half of your 1L summer? What is the start and end date for the summer classes etc...does the entire 1st summer become a wash because you have to take 7 credits or is there still time to secure employment. Any details much appreciated!!


I'm friends with an alum who went PT and finished second in their class. She's doing well. Also, the alum who hosted the NYC recruiting event, Lucinda Treat, was PT and is doing very well for herself (was general counsel for Madison Square Garden, and for the Red Sox before that). I don't think it matters, in the eyes of employers.

User avatar
Topher
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:43 am

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby Topher » Sun May 09, 2010 1:04 am

This is too awesome. I have to share it.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNyE2xExktA

It merges my favorite rap, about my favorite city, with one of my favorite movie trilogies. Simply Awesome.

User avatar
js87
Posts: 434
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:42 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby js87 » Sun May 09, 2010 9:23 pm

I just did the entrance counseling on studentloans.gov right now. I didn't realize that interest begins accruing on the majority of my loans from day one. I had thought that didn't begin until you graduate. Argh.

I also completed the MPN, but didn't complete the one for the gradPLUS loan, or apply for the gradPLUS loan since we've discovered that we're supposed to wait. Sorry for my deluge of financial aid questions in this thread, but the loan process is a bit intimidating. We don't ACTUALLY apply for the direct subsidized/unsubsidized on the studentloans.gov website, right? We just do the entrance counseling and complete the MPN? And then we actually apply for the loans through the elusive Georgetown "Blue Form" ?

User avatar
volsi
Posts: 274
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:28 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby volsi » Sun May 09, 2010 10:50 pm

Uh.. I don't know! The PLUS loans are on the studenloans.gov website, but the Stafford don't seem to be. This is the first year this is direct from the govt. Where is that blue form?!

Someone who's not me should give them a call tomorrow - I have to be at work. I did give my two weeks notice, though. My last day is May 21. I am going to have the biggest party!

User avatar
js87
Posts: 434
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:42 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby js87 » Sun May 09, 2010 11:06 pm

volsi wrote:Uh.. I don't know! The PLUS loans are on the studenloans.gov website, but the Stafford don't seem to be. This is the first year this is direct from the govt. Where is that blue form?!

Someone who's not me should give them a call tomorrow - I have to be at work. I did give my two weeks notice, though. My last day is May 21. I am going to have the biggest party!


Congrats on the impending freedom! haha.

I will call Financial Aid tomorrow morning and fill everyone in.

Torvon
Posts: 352
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby Torvon » Sun May 09, 2010 11:21 pm

Your school, GULC in this case, has the final say on how much money you can get for GradPLUS but you have to apply through studentloans.gov to pass the credit check. The credit check is done instantaneously when you apply. You also have to tell studentloans.gov how much you are applying for but GULC says to just put "maximum" in there and then if you decide you want to decline some of it you can do so using the elusive blue form. For example if you decide you want to turn down the financial aid and increase your GradPLUS amount you can do so using the blue form. The financial aid letter you received in the mail from GULC is the accurate indicator of how much aid is available to you, they just have to make sure you don't have what they consider to be bad credit so they can make the loan.

At this point all you should have done in relation to studentloans.gov is fill out the Stafford MPN and complete the counseling. After June 15th you will be able to apply for the GradPLUS and see if you pass the credit check. The blue form will come out sometime between now and then and the amounts that you indicate on it will be dependent on your passing the credit check when you apply through studentloans.gov.

User avatar
js87
Posts: 434
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:42 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby js87 » Sun May 09, 2010 11:30 pm

Torvon wrote:Your school, GULC in this case, has the final say on how much money you can get for GradPLUS but you have to apply through studentloans.gov to pass the credit check. The credit check is done instantaneously when you apply. You also have to tell studentloans.gov how much you are applying for but GULC says to just put "maximum" in there and then if you decide you want to decline some of it you can do so using the elusive blue form. For example if you decide you want to turn down the financial aid and increase your GradPLUS amount you can do so using the blue form. The financial aid letter you received in the mail from GULC is the accurate indicator of how much aid is available to you, they just have to make sure you don't have what they consider to be bad credit so they can make the loan.

At this point all you should have done in relation to studentloans.gov is fill out the Stafford MPN and complete the counseling. After June 15th you will be able to apply for the GradPLUS and see if you pass the credit check. The blue form will come out sometime between now and then and the amounts that you indicate on it will be dependent on your passing the credit check when you apply through studentloans.gov.


Thank you for the reply. So as far as as the direct loans go (not the gradplus), we apply for them on the blue form? It doesn't look like we do anything for those on studentloans.gov other than the entrance counseling and MPN.

Torvon
Posts: 352
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby Torvon » Mon May 10, 2010 1:18 am

js87 wrote:
Torvon wrote:Your school, GULC in this case, has the final say on how much money you can get for GradPLUS but you have to apply through studentloans.gov to pass the credit check. The credit check is done instantaneously when you apply. You also have to tell studentloans.gov how much you are applying for but GULC says to just put "maximum" in there and then if you decide you want to decline some of it you can do so using the elusive blue form. For example if you decide you want to turn down the financial aid and increase your GradPLUS amount you can do so using the blue form. The financial aid letter you received in the mail from GULC is the accurate indicator of how much aid is available to you, they just have to make sure you don't have what they consider to be bad credit so they can make the loan.

At this point all you should have done in relation to studentloans.gov is fill out the Stafford MPN and complete the counseling. After June 15th you will be able to apply for the GradPLUS and see if you pass the credit check. The blue form will come out sometime between now and then and the amounts that you indicate on it will be dependent on your passing the credit check when you apply through studentloans.gov.


Thank you for the reply. So as far as as the direct loans go (not the gradplus), we apply for them on the blue form? It doesn't look like we do anything for those on studentloans.gov other than the entrance counseling and MPN.


Well, I'm not totally sure what you're referring to as far as "direct loans" but I'm assuming you mean the subsidized/unsubsidized loans. All you need to do for those is fill out the MPN that covers Stafford / subsidized / unsubsidized at studentloans.gov. The GradPLUS you'll apply for after June 15 and any grant or scholarship money you don't have to apply for, it just comes straight from GULC and all that is required is you sign the form saying you're accepting it and sending it back. As far as I'm aware those are all the loans that are available.

User avatar
Xizenta
Posts: 141
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:53 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby Xizenta » Mon May 10, 2010 1:45 am

What are the diff ways to pay the tuition deposit?
I want to pay by credit card if possible and preferably in the next hour. My deadline is the 10th and i'm assuming that means any time tomorrow is ok, but I would like to do it before midnight tonight just in case. I assumed i would find some way to pay online as with the student housing application fee.

User avatar
js87
Posts: 434
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:42 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby js87 » Mon May 10, 2010 10:51 am

To follow up -- I just called Financial aid to ask about the loan questions. They're very helpful and friendly. However, they were a little surprised about the timing situation with the gradPLUS loans. I was under the impression that the blue form, which she told me will be available in a week or two, was due by June 1. We need to complete our MPN's and applications (for gradPLUS) online before submitting the form. However, our TLS detectives discovered that we are not supposed to do the GradPLUS MPN/application before mid June, because the credit check expires.

She didn't really know what to do in this case. I imagine that they're fairly confused as well since this is the first year with this new process. My guess is that the deadline for the blue form will be moved back to accommodate.

User avatar
volsi
Posts: 274
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:28 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby volsi » Mon May 10, 2010 11:16 am

js87 wrote:To follow up -- I just called Financial aid to ask about the loan questions. They're very helpful and friendly. However, they were a little surprised about the timing situation with the gradPLUS loans. I was under the impression that the blue form, which she told me will be available in a week or two, was due by June 1. We need to complete our MPN's and applications (for gradPLUS) online before submitting the form. However, our TLS detectives discovered that we are not supposed to do the GradPLUS MPN/application before mid June, because the credit check expires.

She didn't really know what to do in this case. I imagine that they're fairly confused as well since this is the first year with this new process. My guess is that the deadline for the blue form will be moved back to accommodate.


Even though I mentioned it to them last week? Last time they told me to put on the blue form what GradPlus was gonna be and then the forms would magically line up. Oi.

I'm gonna wait to fill out any MPNs and everything until I can see that blue form.

wackadoodle
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:02 am

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby wackadoodle » Mon May 10, 2010 12:03 pm

O dear I'm quickly feeling too confused for school.....so are we supposed to wait till the Blue form is available to do all of the MPNs (GradPlus and Stafford) or just for the GradPlus and do the Stafford MPN now?

User avatar
D. H2Oman
Posts: 7469
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:47 am

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby D. H2Oman » Mon May 10, 2010 12:06 pm

wackadoodle wrote:O dear I'm quickly feeling too confused for school.....so are we supposed to wait till the Blue form is available to do all of the MPNs (GradPlus and Stafford) or just for the GradPlus and do the Stafford MPN now?



Agree, if law school is as hard as this I'm going to finish dead last. :?

User avatar
iamtaw
Posts: 166
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:22 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby iamtaw » Mon May 10, 2010 12:26 pm

Xizenta wrote:What are the diff ways to pay the tuition deposit?
I want to pay by credit card if possible and preferably in the next hour. My deadline is the 10th and i'm assuming that means any time tomorrow is ok, but I would like to do it before midnight tonight just in case. I assumed i would find some way to pay online as with the student housing application fee.


i wanted to pay by credit card too but i didn't notice anything on the student's site. mailing a check might be your only choice.
iirc, someone asked the admissions office if it was ok their check was postmarked by the due date. the office was understanding and said it was ok. im sure if you ask they'll let you do it too.

User avatar
Kim617
Posts: 784
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:36 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby Kim617 » Mon May 10, 2010 12:35 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:
wackadoodle wrote:O dear I'm quickly feeling too confused for school.....so are we supposed to wait till the Blue form is available to do all of the MPNs (GradPlus and Stafford) or just for the GradPlus and do the Stafford MPN now?



Agree, if law school is as hard as this I'm going to finish dead last. :?

I hate this stuff, it's so confusing. I did my MPN for the unsubsidized/subsidized loans, but not gradplus.

Torvon
Posts: 352
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby Torvon » Mon May 10, 2010 1:44 pm

js87 wrote:To follow up -- I just called Financial aid to ask about the loan questions. They're very helpful and friendly. However, they were a little surprised about the timing situation with the gradPLUS loans. I was under the impression that the blue form, which she told me will be available in a week or two, was due by June 1. We need to complete our MPN's and applications (for gradPLUS) online before submitting the form. However, our TLS detectives discovered that we are not supposed to do the GradPLUS MPN/application before mid June, because the credit check expires.

She didn't really know what to do in this case. I imagine that they're fairly confused as well since this is the first year with this new process. My guess is that the deadline for the blue form will be moved back to accommodate.


Yeah, this is why I filled out my GradPLUS already, because everything on their site points to the fact that you have to have it done before filling out the blue form and the blue form will shortly be available. I obviously have no idea what they'll end up telling you guys to do, but I do know that the only reason you would need to wait until June 15 is because of the 90 day limit on the credit score. Worst case scenario is that they have to run the credit score again, which in reality isn't a "real" credit check. So while it kind of sucks that I made the decision to fill out the GradPLUS application before I had all the information, I know that I can now fill out the blue form without any problems no matter when it comes out.

I think the bottom line here is that they are just as confused about this process as we are due to all of the changes that have been made. I fully expect that they will be extremely patient and understanding as errors are bound to be made by both parties.

gobears09
Posts: 197
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:22 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby gobears09 » Mon May 10, 2010 4:07 pm

--LinkRemoved--

#65, directly behind GWU? Boo.

dk8
Posts: 495
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:39 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby dk8 » Mon May 10, 2010 4:14 pm

gobears09 wrote:http://www.partylawschoolrankings.com/full-rankings/

#65, directly behind GWU? Boo.


I wouldn't put much stock in those. They have W&L ranked low and from what I could tell from their ASW they like to have a good time.

User avatar
volsi
Posts: 274
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:28 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby volsi » Mon May 10, 2010 4:17 pm

gobears09 wrote:http://www.partylawschoolrankings.com/full-rankings/

#65, directly behind GWU? Boo.


I think we'll party plenty, the rankings are based on bars around the campus. And our campus is not really in a prime-bar location. I'll take the proximity to the Capitol and Supreme Court over the law school being next door to a beer hall. :) It's not like we can't take the metro to the bars...

User avatar
D. H2Oman
Posts: 7469
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:47 am

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby D. H2Oman » Mon May 10, 2010 4:31 pm

gobears09 wrote:http://www.partylawschoolrankings.com/full-rankings/

#65, directly behind GWU? Boo.



Damn, I should have gone to Tulane

dk8
Posts: 495
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:39 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby dk8 » Mon May 10, 2010 4:46 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:
gobears09 wrote:http://www.partylawschoolrankings.com/full-rankings/

#65, directly behind GWU? Boo.



Damn, I should have gone to Tulane


that's one ranking i believe.

lol @ yale being 17. like those nerds do anything but go to a wine and cheese bar once a week

User avatar
nowinGA
Posts: 385
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:06 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby nowinGA » Mon May 10, 2010 7:22 pm

Admitted off of the SPWL today! :)

Question: How long did it take you to get an aid award, after you submitted the yellow form? I imagine it may be a little quicker now, but curious how this has worked thus far...

Also, is there a FB page for admitted students?

User avatar
Kim617
Posts: 784
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:36 pm

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby Kim617 » Mon May 10, 2010 8:41 pm

volsi wrote:It's not like we can't take the metro to the bars...

true, but what's up with them not running 24/7? everything pales in comparison to the ny subway system...




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest