GULC c/o 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
volsi

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby volsi » Thu May 06, 2010 3:19 pm

I'd rather be alone than surrounded by the 300 tourists and 200 locals and 40 homeless that are in my store at any given time. Jealous! Just got yelled at by a customer who was missing chunks of metal off her computer.

Oh and except for the boots, I look nothing like Kalinda. :)

Torvon

Postby Torvon » Thu May 06, 2010 4:36 pm

williestark wrote:Was anyone able to apply for student loans yet?

(All of the material said it would be available on the admitted students site after Monday May 3rd)

The blue form isn't available yet, they're still updating it for 2010-11. However, you can log in to studentloans.gov and fill out your MPNs and submit your GradPLUS application and such. There are instructions on how to do it over on GULC's Financial Aid page.

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Thu May 06, 2010 5:45 pm

volsi wrote:I'd rather be alone than surrounded by the 300 tourists and 200 locals and 40 homeless that are in my store at any given time. Jealous! Just got yelled at by a customer who was missing chunks of metal off her computer.

I don't look like Marie Antoinette, BUT, I like to think I am Queen of France. :)

volsi

Postby volsi » Thu May 06, 2010 6:42 pm

Torvon wrote:

(All of the material said it would be available on the admitted students site after Monday May 3rd)

The blue form isn't available yet, they're still updating it for 2010-11. However, you can log in to studentloans.gov and fill out your MPNs and submit your GradPLUS application and such. There are instructions on how to do it over on GULC's Financial Aid page.

Myaccess says not to do GradPlus before 75 days before the start of classes. Which confuses me, but that would place us at about June 15 as the time to do GradPLUS. Is that right or am I missing something?

volsi

Postby volsi » Thu May 06, 2010 7:05 pm

Kim617 wrote:
volsi wrote:I'd rather be alone than surrounded by the 300 tourists and 200 locals and 40 homeless that are in my store at any given time. Jealous! Just got yelled at by a customer who was missing chunks of metal off her computer.

I don't look like Marie Antoinette, BUT, I like to think I am Queen of France. :)

We'll get you a tiara for your birthday. :P

Interminable_Waiting

Postby Interminable_Waiting » Thu May 06, 2010 7:12 pm

British election is fascinating right now. Turnout was high and multitudes of people were not allowed to vote because the polls close at 10, and even though they were in line, they were turned away.

Torvon

Postby Torvon » Thu May 06, 2010 7:37 pm

volsi wrote:
Torvon wrote:

Myaccess says not to do GradPlus before 75 days before the start of classes. Which confuses me, but that would place us at about June 15 as the time to do GradPLUS. Is that right or am I missing something?

I [strike]don't think[/strike] hope it's not a big deal, cause I just did mine. I called the financial aid office while I was doing it because I had a question and they didn't tell me to stop. I do know that you have to have all of that filled out and turned in before you fill out the blue form and I was under the impression that it would be available any day now.

Edit: Interesting, apparently the credit check is only valid for 90 days so I'll probably have to have another one of those. Oh well. The odd thing is that according to the deadlines section of the admitted students site the Blue Form is due June 1, and you can't fill it out until you've sent in your application anyway.
Last edited by Torvon on Thu May 06, 2010 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Thu May 06, 2010 7:41 pm

Interminable_Waiting wrote:British election is fascinating right now. Turnout was high and multitudes of people were not allowed to vote because the polls close at 10, and even though they were in line, they were turned away.

I'm stealing the joke from someone else, but I thought it was hilarious

NayBoer wrote:UK exit polls predict hung parliament. Now it's unclear which unkempt pale-face will have to stand by the #10 Downing fax machine to wait for missives from Brussels and Washington.

volsi

Postby volsi » Thu May 06, 2010 9:39 pm

Torvon wrote:
volsi wrote:

I [strike]don't think[/strike] hope it's not a big deal, cause I just did mine. I called the financial aid office while I was doing it because I had a question and they didn't tell me to stop. I do know that you have to have all of that filled out and turned in before you fill out the blue form and I was under the impression that it would be available any day now.

Edit: Interesting, apparently the credit check is only valid for 90 days so I'll probably have to have another one of those. Oh well. The odd thing is that according to the deadlines section of the admitted students site the Blue Form is due June 1, and you can't fill it out until you've sent in your application anyway.

I'll give them a call tomorrow and ask.

Also: right now the field in which to enter the loan amount accepted doesn't exist. I didn't have that field for a while, then I had it but couldn't decide how much to take out so I didn't do it, and now it doesn't exist again. How strange. But, MyAccess did update to show that I am attending, there are all these student only things now. I can register for undergrad classes! Heh.

starrydecisus

Postby starrydecisus » Thu May 06, 2010 10:53 pm

Wow, I've missed a lot!

Haha, Unitas is good at matching profiles here to fb. Only one guess!

And that's funny about picturing us as our avatars. Volsi, even though you shared your front page pic at the apple store, I still picture you as Kalinda! It's some sort of picture association.
I wish I looked like Julianna Margulies!

I can't wait until August!

...and I'm sorry to the Redskins fan.

volsi

Postby volsi » Thu May 06, 2010 11:12 pm

starrydecisus wrote:Wow, I've missed a lot!

And that's funny about picturing us as our avatars. Volsi, even though you shared your front page pic at the apple store, I still picture you as Kalinda! It's some sort of picture association.

I'm easy to find on facebook, I am the only one whose profile pic is of me in a white suit jacket. :D But being thought of as Kalinda flatters me. She's like superwoman!

Grats on finishing your finals, btw.

dk8

Postby dk8 » Thu May 06, 2010 11:17 pm

I'll live as long as there aren't too many Dallas fans at GTown. The DC area is filled with them for some reason.

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Fri May 07, 2010 12:20 am

volsi wrote:

I'm easy to find on facebook, I am the only one whose profile pic is of me in a white suit jacket. :D But being thought of as Kalinda flatters me. She's like superwoman!

ACTUALLY, with the right hair and outfit, you could pass for her!

Burberry by Burberry

Postby Burberry by Burberry » Fri May 07, 2010 12:58 am

Kim617 wrote:
volsi wrote:

ACTUALLY, with the right hair and outfit, you could pass for her!

+1!

Postby 02122015 » Fri May 07, 2010 9:35 am

Last edited by 02122015 on Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

volsi

Postby volsi » Fri May 07, 2010 10:28 am

Burberry by Burberry wrote:
Kim617 wrote:ACTUALLY, with the right hair and outfit, you could pass for her!

+1!

I think I know what I'm doing for Halloween this year, then. Excuse to go shopping for leather jackets!

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Fri May 07, 2010 11:41 am

I've never even heard of "The Good Wife" am I already guaranteed to be a social pariah?

Interminable_Waiting

Postby Interminable_Waiting » Fri May 07, 2010 11:47 am

D. H2Oman wrote:I've never even heard of "The Good Wife" am I already guaranteed to be a social pariah?

I've never heard of it either. Maybe its not big in Vermont... or maybe its more of a girls show... or maybe I am destined to join you in pariahdom.
Last edited by Interminable_Waiting on Fri May 07, 2010 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

dk8

Postby dk8 » Fri May 07, 2010 11:48 am

D. H2Oman wrote:I've never even heard of "The Good Wife" am I already guaranteed to be a social pariah?

all i could gather from the previews is that she's a lawyer and her husband cheated on her

volsi

Postby volsi » Fri May 07, 2010 12:30 pm

dk8 wrote:

all i could gather from the previews is that she's a lawyer and her husband cheated on her

Quick and dirty:
Well written show about Spitzer-like scandal's aftermath. She put aside her ambitions to take care of the kids while he became Illinois Attorney General. He cheated on her, did some illegal stuff, went to jail, she goes back to work. Guy who hires her is an old Georgetown classmate. 3 main characters (lawyer, her husband, her boss) all Georgetown Law alums. Show tackles ethical questions, has interesting cases, treats audience like adults. Also; intrigue and complex plot lines.

volsi

Postby volsi » Fri May 07, 2010 1:48 pm

OK!

Just called the financial aid office and got some good info.
The counselor confirmed that we should not apply for the Grad Plus loans before 75 days before the start of classes (June 15). She said that when filling out the Blue Form, to put the amount that you expect to apply for, and then the money will reconcile itself once the loan disperses.

She also noted that you do not accept the financial aid on the MyAccess, instead you accept the amounts you'd like on the blue form. Also, as has been said before, all the loans are done through Studentloans.gov.

Hope this helps, because the process is confusing.

Torvon

Postby Torvon » Fri May 07, 2010 1:53 pm

volsi wrote:OK!

The counselor confirmed that we should not apply for the Grad Plus loans before 75 days before the start of classes (June 15). She said that when filling out the Blue Form, to put the amount that you expect to apply for, and then the money will reconcile itself once the loan disperses.

She also noted that you do not accept the financial aid on the MyAccess, instead you accept the amounts you'd like on the blue form. Also, as has been said before, all the loans are done through Studentloans.gov.

Ha ha, whoops! :oops:

Oh well, I guess they'll just have to run another credit check for me before I can get my loans. At least I now know I can pass the credit check, right?

Edit: I also think it's pretty stupid they list one of the things to get done on the "Deadlines" page of the admitted student site as "Student Loan Applications" under June 1 as well as put in the financial aid letter that they "recommend you apply for loans by June 1" and then come to find out you're not suppose to until June 15.
Last edited by Torvon on Fri May 07, 2010 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

js87

Postby js87 » Fri May 07, 2010 1:55 pm

Thank you for getting this info for us!

So the next step for everyone would be to apply for stafford loans through studentloans.gov? Then blue form?

(...Then negative net worth :P )

volsi

Postby volsi » Fri May 07, 2010 4:10 pm

Torvon wrote:

Ha ha, whoops! :oops:

Oh well, I guess they'll just have to run another credit check for me before I can get my loans. At least I now know I can pass the credit check, right?

Edit: I also think it's pretty stupid they list one of the things to get done on the "Deadlines" page of the admitted student site as "Student Loan Applications" under June 1 as well as put in the financial aid letter that they "recommend you apply for loans by June 1" and then come to find out you're not suppose to until June 15.

Yeah, she hesitated for a second when I asked her that. I don't think they honestly thought of it. I think the change from banks to direct lending from the government led to this confusion. I'm just happy I have a few weeks to decide (I'm only taking out part of the grad plus availability because I want to burn through my savings and get grant money next year)

So the next step for everyone would be to apply for stafford loans through studentloans.gov? Then blue form?

Yeah, we can do Stafford right away, and then the blue form. You'll have to go through another round of multiple choice questions and then fill out an MPN. And you're welcome!

nax425

Postby nax425 » Fri May 07, 2010 6:12 pm

RE: Loans: it seems like a major cluster...I actually accepted the loans on Myaccess after calling finaid re: work study (which I am NOT accepting, and would like to just up my loans in the same amount), which they said you do on the blue form. So I assumed I was supposed to accept via Myaccess, as the instructions indicated. Oh well.

I also applied for Grad Plus, whoops. Guess I'll just do it again on June 15th.

Did anyone else forget to send in a Transcript by the due date? I've been out of school a while and this slipped by me. Then again, my school was in Nashville, TN, so I'll blame any processing time on the floods. I'm assuming its not a deal-breaker either way...they've had my $$ for a while now.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”