GULC c/o 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
Kim617

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Postby Kim617 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:10 pm

Cedes wrote:gator: If you have questions on where to go and the best way to figure out how to get there, feel free to ask.

Kim: Chinatown would be the closest place to shop. There's an H&M there =) I'm not sure about Forever. You would probably have to take the metro to the nearest mall in Pentagon city (Yellow) or White Flint (Red). Coming from having a car in Fl, I was so relieved that this metro system is by color. Here's a better map:

--LinkRemoved--

Lol the cherry blossom festival is coming up, you'll have to do it at least once, otherwise people won't leave you alone.
My city is not crap!

Sorry!! Listen, I grew up in Brooklyn, so I know crappy :wink: JK LOVE YOU BROOKLYN

Thanks again for all the info! It definitely helps when you are moving to a new city.

gators88

Postby gators88 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:11 pm

Kim617 wrote:
js87 wrote:But overall I'm one of those people that tend to think NYC is the best place on earth

Ha, I hear that. It's only 3 hours away by train from DC!

My whole family is from NYC, we were the renegade Floridians. I love NY, but I've always been a political junkie, so DC is gonna be cool for me.

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:13 pm

gators88 wrote:
Kim617 wrote:
js87 wrote:But overall I'm one of those people that tend to think NYC is the best place on earth

Ha, I hear that. It's only 3 hours away by train from DC!

My whole family is from NYC, we were the renegade Floridians. I love NY, but I've always been a political junkie, so DC is gonna be cool for me.

Same! It'll be cool to meet other people who love politics as much as I do. I mean, I'm coming from fashion school, so needless to say people aren't all that interested.

Lermontov

Postby Lermontov » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:49 am

Someone was talking - maybe in the other Gtown thread - about their LRAP, and a video was mentioned. Said video is a thing of the person in charge of their LRAP talking about it and giving specifics. Anyone have a link to that video, or know where to find it?

dancinginseptember

Postby dancinginseptember » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:12 am

successfully joined the group - and thanks again for making it :)

unfortunately i won't be able to make the ASW. i do plan to swing by sometime soon on a day without class. the trip is short and easy enough to do that thankfully.

DJ Tanner

Postby DJ Tanner » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:05 pm

just joined the group! thanks for making it cedes!

i'll be at the asw as well. i'm staying until sunday and have never been to dc, so if anyone has any recs on what to do let me know.

oh and agreed about the shopping. law school will be great and all, but i think i'm most excited to finally live in a city with an h&m! :D

Torvon

Postby Torvon » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:54 pm

Lermontov wrote:Someone was talking - maybe in the other Gtown thread - about their LRAP, and a video was mentioned. Said video is a thing of the person in charge of their LRAP talking about it and giving specifics. Anyone have a link to that video, or know where to find it?

Ask, and ye shall receive.

js87

Postby js87 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:09 pm

Just joined the facebook group, thanks for making it!

Lermontov

Postby Lermontov » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:04 pm

Torvon wrote:
Lermontov wrote:Someone was talking - maybe in the other Gtown thread - about their LRAP, and a video was mentioned. Said video is a thing of the person in charge of their LRAP talking about it and giving specifics. Anyone have a link to that video, or know where to find it?

Many thanks :)

Edited after traveling to the link...
Quicktime? Popup? It's a good link Georgetown, but I doubt I'm the only one who thinks the format is kindof strange.

Interminable_Waiting

Postby Interminable_Waiting » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:27 pm

Andy responded to my email asking for $. He is sorry, and cannot offer me any at this time. He would be glad to help me in any other way he can though.

I didn't expect any, but even 5K a year would be helpful. I am going to try and shift some of my private student loan debt from undergrad to federal loan debt, but Andy isn't making it easy for me. Maybe I will catch him at the ASW.

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:53 pm

Interminable_Waiting wrote:Andy responded to my email asking for $. He is sorry, and cannot offer me any at this time. He would be glad to help me in any other way he can though.

I didn't expect any, but even 5K a year would be helpful. I am going to try and shift some of my private student loan debt from undergrad to federal loan debt, but Andy isn't making it easy for me. Maybe I will catch him at the ASW.

Yeah, I'm an alternate for a scholarship so I'm pretty sure that means I get nothing. Which really sucks because every single penny that needs to be paid will be loans.

Torvon

Postby Torvon » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:44 pm

Lermontov wrote:
Torvon wrote:

Many thanks :)

Edited after traveling to the link...
Quicktime? Popup? It's a good link Georgetown, but I doubt I'm the only one who thinks the format is kindof strange.

Yeah, all of their video links function like that and they are absolutely horrible. I don't understand why they don't just stick them on youtube or something.

Revisionist

Postby Revisionist » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:14 pm

I just got my acceptance letter but can't access the admitted students website yet. Does it have any information about future open house dates? It's too short of notice for me to make the one this week.

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:22 pm

Revisionist wrote:I just got my acceptance letter but can't access the admitted students website yet. Does it have any information about future open house dates? It's too short of notice for me to make the one this week.

Besides the one this weekend in DC, these are listed on the ASW:

Miami: Sunday, March 28th
5:00-7:00pm
Home of Albert del Castillo, L'82

Boston: Wednesday, April 7th
5:30-7:30pm
Goodwin Procter LLP
53 State Street

Washington, DC: Tuesday, April 13th
5:30-7:30pm
Akin Gump LLP
1333 New Hampshire Avenue, NW

Los Angeles: Sunday, April 18th
11:30-1:00pm
Home of Annette (C’76, L’79) and David (L’79) Weil
Malibu

gators88

Postby gators88 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:58 pm

So I am on a plane back from DC! Free wifi!!

I wasn't in DC specifically to visit GULC, but I did walk over there one afternoon to check it out. I must have looked a little lost, because at least a few students very nicely asked me if I needed help/directions, and were happy to answer my questions.

The fitness center looks incredible, and Gewirz was actually pretty nice looking. I maybe went a little overboard in the bookstore; 2 shirts, gym shorts, a hat and a beanie.

I also went out with friends in different areas, including Chinatown and dupont. Pretty cool scene, lots of young, attractive and intelligent people.

Definitely stoked about DC, sad I won't get to meet everyone at the ASD this week.

mrm2083

Postby mrm2083 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:51 pm

Anyone going to the reception in Miami this Sunday? Also, I won't be able to make the ASW this weekend, will their be anything else coming up? Is there any way I can set up a tour or something on another date?

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:26 pm

mrm2083 wrote: Is there any way I can set up a tour or something on another date?

I'm sure if you call admissions you can do that, or there might even be something on the admitted students website about it. I think you can definitely do something like that.

BTW, I'm very excited to hit up the bookstore. T-shirts, sweatpants, shorts, etc., I might get carried away.

jml8756

Postby jml8756 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:55 pm

Any suggestions on how to answer an email from the scholarship committee asking me to be as candid as possible about how much money I need in order to make it possible for me to attend?

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:05 pm

jml8756 wrote:Any suggestions on how to answer an email from the scholarship committee asking me to be as candid as possible about how much money I need in order to make it possible for me to attend?

honesty? maybe figure out what you'd need, and just be honest. it's touchy because you don't want to go too high or lowball yourself, but maybe if you go higher, they'll just say "well, THIS is what we can give you." sorry, i'm not much help. i'll take anything i can get :D

js87

Postby js87 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:06 pm

jml8756 wrote:Any suggestions on how to answer an email from the scholarship committee asking me to be as candid as possible about how much money I need in order to make it possible for me to attend?

Be direct but polite. They are serious about being candid -- they don't want you to beat around the bush. They know time is limited and having an honest discourse on the subject can get things done more quickly and effectively. Consider it a good chance to practice your attorney negotiating skills ;)

I got the same email several weeks ago. My numbers are good, but not great... right at or just barely above the 75th percentile. I sent a polite but straightforward email telling them where/how much I had been awarded elsewhere. I told them that Georgetown was my top choice (it sincerely is) but explained that financial considerations were paramount in my decision making process. I did not specify an actual exact amount that I "wanted", but did allude to the fact that with a generous scholarship, taking in to account my other offers, I would almost certainly accept. They responded fairly quickly with a scholarship offer. They are very friendly and willing to work with you! The faculty and staff I've met so far at G-Town have been awesome.

mrm2083

Postby mrm2083 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:43 pm

Does anyone have photos of the Gewirz rooms? The pics on the GULC site are terrible. Also, what are the chances of getting a room there since it works off a lottery or something.

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:45 pm

mrm2083 wrote:Does anyone have photos of the Gewirz rooms? The pics on the GULC site are terrible. Also, what are the chances of getting a room there since it works off a lottery or something.

I think it says that no one that has wanted a room has been turned away. So I think the chances are pretty good. I hope that this weekend on the tour we have the opportunity to see the rooms. If so, I'll try to snap some pics. I'm very interested as well because I'm pretty sure that's where I'll be living.

gators88

Postby gators88 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:51 pm

I walked into Gewirz this weekend and had a look around. The security man posted at the door let me walk around the first floor common room, and thats as far as I got. It looked like a pretty decent building, not at all rundown like dorms can often be. I am hoping someone at the ASW gets a chance to see a room, and can maybe even post a picture.

mrm2083

Postby mrm2083 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:55 pm

If you could snap some pics that would be great. I can't believe there are no decent pictures on the net

jml8756

Postby jml8756 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:57 pm

js87 wrote:Be direct but polite. They are serious about being candid -- they don't want you to beat around the bush. They know time is limited and having an honest discourse on the subject can get things done more quickly and effectively. Consider it a good chance to practice your attorney negotiating skills ;)

I got the same email several weeks ago. My numbers are good, but not great... right at or just barely above the 75th percentile. I sent a polite but straightforward email telling them where/how much I had been awarded elsewhere. I told them that Georgetown was my top choice (it sincerely is) but explained that financial considerations were paramount in my decision making process. I did not specify an actual exact amount that I "wanted", but did allude to the fact that with a generous scholarship, taking in to account my other offers, I would almost certainly accept. They responded fairly quickly with a scholarship offer. They are very friendly and willing to work with you! The faculty and staff I've met so far at G-Town have been awesome.

Thanks for the suggestions! Can I ask if the scholarship offer was competitive with the other offers you told them about?

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”