GULC c/o 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)

Platinum

Post by 02122015 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:07 am

Last edited by 02122015 on Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tigrelis

New

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Post by tigrelis » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:17 am

Last edited by tigrelis on Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sansei

New

Post by Sansei » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:11 am

Starry, thanks so much for all the detail! Did the kitchens happen to be renovated at all? When I was there for ASW, they mentioned that the kitchens would be part of the summer plans. If not, did they happen to say what else was part of the renovation? Very excited about the mattresses... :D

Kim617

Silver

Post by Kim617 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:55 am

Section 4!

Platinum

Post by 02122015 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:21 am

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

starrydecisus

Silver

Post by starrydecisus » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:11 am

MSPeast wrote:Starry:

-I am also section 2! So far everyone else (FT) I've heard from (which is basically people in this thread and my friend from undergrad) is section 1 or 4. No Friday classes?!? YES.

-Are you sure the C.H. Target is a SuperTarget? I didn't think it was, at least not according to Target's store finder and Google Maps Street View. Just because it's new and has two stories doesn't make it a SuperTarget -- even if there is fresh produce since Target is introducing that to many standard Targets. It seems like it will be a lot like the Target in Downtown Minneapolis right near their world headquarters -- two stories, urban, new, but not a SuperTarget.

-And I agree about the SmarTrip cards - I got one at ASW partially because I was almost certain about going to Georgetown, but partially because I got sick of using paper tickets quickly enough that I decided to just get the SmarTrip to make it easier for the rest of my stay!
I must have just assumed it was a Super Target! However, I read somewhere that regular Targets are trying to carry more grocery products. The person I saw who had shopped there had a ton of grocery products, so it seems like it'd still be good, if you needed to pick up a few things!

And hurray for other people in Section 2!

I love Coke better than Pepsi. It makes me so happy. (My Mom on the other hand HAS to have Pepsi)

I will check my photos/video on the doors opening in or out. Can't remember off the top of my head. Will report back.

Also, the girl who gave me the tour said that the kitchens would be part of NEXT summer's renovations, not this summer's :(

More later, running late for work!

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:16 am

Thank you soo much for all the information starrydecisus. I'll read it again later. It is very helpful.

If I drink soda it has to be Pepsi, but I rarely drink soda so it doesn't matter to me.

volsi

Bronze

Post by volsi » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:43 am

Ok, so I've complied what section everyone has posted in a google spreadsheet. It's set so only people with the link can view the document. If you want to be removed from the list, let me know. Your privacy is important to me, etc.

Anyway, I can either post the link here or PM it to people; whatever you guys want. I'll keep it updated as people post their sections.

Rocketman11

Silver

Post by Rocketman11 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:12 am

volsi wrote:Also, I am going to be in DC next tuesday, looking at studios in SW. Anyone know a good happy hour near Union Station? :D
with you present darling, every hour is happy

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Rifka

New

Post by Rifka » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:15 am

I'm in section 4. I'm also really excited about no classes on Friday!

volsi

Bronze

Post by volsi » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:35 am

Rocketman11 wrote:
volsi wrote:Also, I am going to be in DC next tuesday, looking at studios in SW. Anyone know a good happy hour near Union Station? :D
Aww, even 7 am? I'm so flattered.

Rocketman11

Silver

Post by Rocketman11 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:13 am

volsi wrote:
Rocketman11 wrote:
Aww, even 7 am? I'm so flattered.
are we drinking? because i could do 7am. bloody marys and mimosas. i actually know a great bar out here where I got a bunch of TLS folks together earlier this year. 11am-3pm all you can eat delicious buffet and all you can drink campaign, mimosas and bloody mary's for $30. yes please.

dubsky

New

Post by dubsky » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:15 am

section 4 !

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

gatorgirl24

New

Post by gatorgirl24 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:30 am

Section 2! Wooohooo!

Also, I'm already living/working in DC and live in Mass Court, so right next to campus for any more of you that are coming through and want to see the city :-) Starry, sorry I didn't see your posts earlier or I would've met you for happy hour!

starrydecisus

Silver

Post by starrydecisus » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:40 am

gatorgirl24 wrote:Section 2! Wooohooo!

Also, I'm already living/working in DC and live in Mass Court, so right next to campus for any more of you that are coming through and want to see the city :-) Starry, sorry I didn't see your posts earlier or I would've met you for happy hour!
That would have been great, but I'll be up there soon enough! This summer is going by so quickly.

It's nice to see someone else in my section :)

Edit: I'm also from FL! Since it seems you now have experience with winters, you'll have to help me brave the weather when it dips below 60, haha

PheelTheMusic

New

Post by PheelTheMusic » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:52 am

Section 1!

gilchristh

Bronze

Post by gilchristh » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:53 am

Wow, looks like you all have been busy--especially Starrydecisus... great post! Thought I'd add a couple things:

There's some hidden logic to some of the section assignments. All Global Law Scholars are assigned to Section 2 (although not all Section 2 students are Global Law Scholars), Section 3 = Curriculum B, and Section 7 = part-time/evening.

Taco Tuesdays at the cafeteria are widely considered the yummiest cafeteria day. The salad bar is always pretty solid and the grill man will generally make you anything you ask for, provided he has the ingredients. He's very nice.

Good call on the security guard. Which one did you meet? The security guards are awesome, awesome people. Be nice to them and they will keep you sane when you're mired in the bog of memo-writing/brief-writing/outlining/finals.

You'll get a GUTS shuttle schedule. It goes to the main campus, to Union Station, to Target, to Safeway, and many other places you'll need to hit on occasion.

The lockers are only for students who live off-campus, and they're assigned to 1Ls for the year during Orientation week. If you live in Gewirz, you're expected to store your books in your room. Returning students get the option of reserving a locker at the end of the previous school year, so you will have that option later in law school once you're off campus.

There are far more places to study than you'll ever need. There are several small group study rooms in the Williams Library (main library) and there's a different kind of table and seating in every corner of each library (Williams and Wolff, the international law library in Hotung, which is gorgeous, by the way) in addition to the nine million study carrels in Williams and Wolff, so you can find a place that's most effective for you and your study habits. There are printers scattered throughout campus, and there are Westlaw and Lexis printers in both Williams (4th floor I think, but maybe 3rd) and Wolff. Printing from Westlaw or Nexis is free, and other printing you charge to your GoCard.

There's a GoCard refill station for making cash deposits just outside the cafeteria in McDonough, and I think there's also one in the dorms and/or Sport and Fitness Lobby hallway. You can also refill via credit/debit card online anytime.

For those of you who like Thai food, Royal Thai in Chinatown is the best Thai food I've found in DC to date.

The chapel on the first floor of McDonough actually holds services for several faiths, for those of you who aren't Catholic. Don't quote me, but I believe they host Jewish, Buddhist, and Muslim services, but I don't know how regularly they're offered.

RocketBar in Chinatown and the Billy Goat Tavern on the ground floor of the oddly-shaped blue glass building just in front of McDonough (walking toward Union Station) are the unofficial Georgetown Law home base bars.

Good luck with the move! Only a couple more weeks now.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Rocketman11

Silver

Post by Rocketman11 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:56 am

gilchristh wrote: RocketBar in Chinatown and the Billy Goat Tavern on the ground floor of the oddly-shaped blue glass building just in front of McDonough (walking toward Union Station) are the unofficial Georgetown Law home base bars.
I know what you all are thinking, and I absolutely own this place.

starrydecisus

Silver

Post by starrydecisus » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:59 am

Rocketman11 wrote:
gilchristh wrote: RocketBar in Chinatown and the Billy Goat Tavern on the ground floor of the oddly-shaped blue glass building just in front of McDonough (walking toward Union Station) are the unofficial Georgetown Law home base bars.
I know what you all are thinking, and I absolutely own this place.
RocketBar was where they had the "Night on the Town" at the January ASW.

starrydecisus

Silver

Post by starrydecisus » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:59 am

gilchristh wrote:Wow, looks like you all have been busy--especially Starrydecisus... great post! Thought I'd add a couple things:

There's some hidden logic to some of the section assignments. All Global Law Scholars are assigned to Section 2 (although not all Section 2 students are Global Law Scholars), Section 3 = Curriculum B, and Section 7 = part-time/evening.

Taco Tuesdays at the cafeteria are widely considered the yummiest cafeteria day. The salad bar is always pretty solid and the grill man will generally make you anything you ask for, provided he has the ingredients. He's very nice.

Good call on the security guard. Which one did you meet? The security guards are awesome, awesome people. Be nice to them and they will keep you sane when you're mired in the bog of memo-writing/brief-writing/outlining/finals.

You'll get a GUTS shuttle schedule. It goes to the main campus, to Union Station, to Target, to Safeway, and many other places you'll need to hit on occasion.

The lockers are only for students who live off-campus, and they're assigned to 1Ls for the year during Orientation week. If you live in Gewirz, you're expected to store your books in your room. Returning students get the option of reserving a locker at the end of the previous school year, so you will have that option later in law school once you're off campus.

There are far more places to study than you'll ever need. There are several small group study rooms in the Williams Library (main library) and there's a different kind of table and seating in every corner of each library (Williams and Wolff, the international law library in Hotung, which is gorgeous, by the way) in addition to the nine million study carrels in Williams and Wolff, so you can find a place that's most effective for you and your study habits. There are printers scattered throughout campus, and there are Westlaw and Lexis printers in both Williams (4th floor I think, but maybe 3rd) and Wolff. Printing from Westlaw or Nexis is free, and other printing you charge to your GoCard.

There's a GoCard refill station for making cash deposits just outside the cafeteria in McDonough, and I think there's also one in the dorms and/or Sport and Fitness Lobby hallway. You can also refill via credit/debit card online anytime.

For those of you who like Thai food, Royal Thai in Chinatown is the best Thai food I've found in DC to date.

The chapel on the first floor of McDonough actually holds services for several faiths, for those of you who aren't Catholic. Don't quote me, but I believe they host Jewish, Buddhist, and Muslim services, but I don't know how regularly they're offered.

RocketBar in Chinatown and the Billy Goat Tavern on the ground floor of the oddly-shaped blue glass building just in front of McDonough (walking toward Union Station) are the unofficial Georgetown Law home base bars.

Good luck with the move! Only a couple more weeks now.
Thanks for the clarifications and tips :) That's so helpful to hear from a current student.

His last name was Fazio. He had great stories and was super friendly.

gilchristh

Bronze

Post by gilchristh » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:05 am

starrydecisus wrote:Thanks for the clarifications and tips :) That's so helpful to hear from a current student.

Fazio's super awesome. He used to be a DEA agent. He's taking me to the shooting range in the fall!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

gilchristh

Bronze

Post by gilchristh » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:11 am

MSPeast wrote:Also, since the bedroom doors don't lock, do they open inward or outward?
The bedroom doors open inward toward the bedroom, and you can lock them from the inside--just not from the outside.

nowinGA

Bronze

Post by nowinGA » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:16 am

gilchristh wrote:
starrydecisus wrote:Thanks for the clarifications and tips :) That's so helpful to hear from a current student.

Fazio's super awesome. He used to be a DEA agent. He's taking me to the shooting range in the fall!
I met him too! VERY friendly.

starrydecisus

Silver

Post by starrydecisus » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:21 am

nowinGA wrote:
gilchristh wrote:

I met him too! VERY friendly.
He told my friend and I great stories from his days as a DEA Agent. He's hilarious.

Platinum

Post by 02122015 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:28 am

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”