GULC c/o 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
dk8

Bronze

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Post by dk8 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:49 pm

starrydecisus wrote:Are we still planning a TLS get together?
i am down for this

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:23 pm

dk8 wrote:
i am down for this
I concur with everyone else.

I won't be up there until move in day at the dorms. What about everyone else? I know a few people are moving up earlier. I also haven't signed up for any events yet and hope to look into that next week.

Platinum

Post by 02122015 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:25 pm

Unitas wrote:
dk8 wrote:
i am down for this

I won't be up there until move in day at the dorms. What about everyone else? I know a few people are moving up earlier. I also haven't signed up for any events yet and hope to look into that next week.
I get there 8/20, the day before Gewirz move-in.

js87

Bronze

Post by js87 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:36 pm

MSPeast wrote:
Unitas wrote:
dk8 wrote:
i am down for this

Same here.

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:42 pm

js87 wrote:
MSPeast wrote:
Unitas wrote:
dk8 wrote:
i am down for this

Same here.
Would everyone want to do it the week after move in on Sunday with rocketman(day before school)? Or what day?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Split5

Bronze

Post by Split5 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:38 pm

Oh man, a TLS get together. Too bad in person you can't anonymously hide behind your avatar while pretending you have any basis for your opinions. What else do TLSers actually have in common? Count me out.

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:09 am

Split5 wrote:Oh man, a TLS get together. Too bad in person you can't anonymously hide behind your avatar while pretending you have any basis for your opinions. What else do TLSers actually have in common? Count me out.
We all sought out TLS; that is enough in common for me. Plus, we are all going to be in a new city not knowing many people, if anybody, so might as well meet people we at least "know" somewhat. It'll be a lot of fun or just an awkward day to laugh about; either way a win... Not saying you should go. I am just saying why we will.

My insurance fee got taken off student accounts now. Everyone that waived it may want to check if it is gone.

E-mail from them. They offer a tuition refund plan... I may sign up for that if it covers me leaving due to family illness/death. It doesn't appear to cover family illness... I'll read about it. It cost 200 bucks a year for tuition only and 250 total to cover tuition plus gerwiz housing. Anyone plan on getting it or know about it?

Rocketman11

Silver

Post by Rocketman11 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:48 am

Split5 wrote:Oh man, a TLS get together. Too bad in person you can't anonymously hide behind your avatar while pretending you have any basis for your opinions. What else do TLSers actually have in common? Count me out.
Holy fuck guys, we should call the whole thing off. This guy i've never heard of who thinks a bunch of people on a LAW SCHOOL forum in a thread where they are ALL MOVING TO THE SAME AREA and ATTENDING THE SAME SCHOOL have *nothing* in common is OUT?! son of a bitch, say it ain't so.

I will miss your 200 post presence, that's for sure.

Kim617

Silver

Post by Kim617 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:16 am

Hey, does anyone know how to get from the school to Washington Dulles Airport? I have a competition in Berlin in October (it was supposed to be in April but that stupid volcano ruined it), and I'm flying out of Dulles. I am also missing 4 days of school which I'm not entirely comfortable with but I can't bail on my teammates. Anyone have any suggestions about missing classes and what I should do? UGH

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Rocketman11

Silver

Post by Rocketman11 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:22 am

Kim617 wrote:Hey, does anyone know how to get from the school to Washington Dulles Airport? I have a competition in Berlin in October (it was supposed to be in April but that stupid volcano ruined it), and I'm flying out of Dulles. I am also missing 4 days of school which I'm not entirely comfortable with but I can't bail on my teammates. Anyone have any suggestions about missing classes and what I should do? UGH
They are building a metro line that goes to Dulles, but it does not exist just yet. Cheapest option is to metro to Rosslyn and take the bus (5A I believe) to Dulles. If you have the money, you can also take a cab there from just about any station on the Orange line in Virginia. Your final option is to find a friend with a car who will drive you!

nowinGA

Bronze

Post by nowinGA » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:28 am

Kim617 wrote:Hey, does anyone know how to get from the school to Washington Dulles Airport? I have a competition in Berlin in October (it was supposed to be in April but that stupid volcano ruined it), and I'm flying out of Dulles. I am also missing 4 days of school which I'm not entirely comfortable with but I can't bail on my teammates. Anyone have any suggestions about missing classes and what I should do? UGH
I recommend super shuttle. I used it for a family member that came in and out of Dulles, and it worked well...(obviously if you can afford a cab, that is the most convenient...but super shuttle was a decent happy medium)

gilchristh

Bronze

Post by gilchristh » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:35 am

Me and my friend Simon bickered incessantly on TLS, but when we all met up when we first got to DC, we figured out that we got along great. He's one of my favorite people in DC. Don't let a little silly online behavior--yours or others'--keep you from meeting some friendly faces.

Rocketman11

Silver

Post by Rocketman11 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:38 am

gilchristh wrote:
Me and my friend Simon bickered incessantly on TLS, but when we all met up when we first got to DC, we figured out that we got along great. He's one of my favorite people in DC. Don't let a little silly online behavior--yours or others'--keep you from meeting some friendly faces.
Um, so did you and I if you remember.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

gilchristh

Bronze

Post by gilchristh » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:41 am

Rocketman11 wrote:
gilchristh wrote:
This is true, only I saw Simon a lot more often 'cause, well, 'cause I sucked last year. But this year I will RULE! Pinky swear.

Rocketman11

Silver

Post by Rocketman11 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:42 am

gilchristh wrote:
Rocketman11 wrote:
This is true, only I saw Simon a lot more often 'cause, well, 'cause I sucked last year. But this year I will RULE! Pinky swear.
I cried into my popcorn watching CSI Miami reruns an embarrassingly high amount of times

gilchristh

Bronze

Post by gilchristh » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:52 am

Rocketman11 wrote:
gilchristh wrote:
Rocketman11 wrote:
I cried into my popcorn watching CSI Miami reruns an embarrassingly high amount of times
Everytime I see Horatio Crane, a little piece of me dies inside.

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:55 am

gilchristh wrote:
Rocketman11 wrote:
gilchristh wrote:
Rocketman11 wrote:
Everytime I see Horatio Crane, a little piece of me dies inside.
What? I don't understand any of this.... Can someone clue me in?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Kim617

Silver

Post by Kim617 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:15 pm

Thanks for the advice, guys. I actually just found out that they'll reimburse me, so cab it is! Meanwhile, anything I can do about missing classes? I'll be gone from Saturday-Thursday, so I'll miss four days. Is it as tragic as I think it is (I guess this question is more for Heather)?

gilchristh

Bronze

Post by gilchristh » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:32 pm

Kim617 wrote:Thanks for the advice, guys. I actually just found out that they'll reimburse me, so cab it is! Meanwhile, anything I can do about missing classes? I'll be gone from Saturday-Thursday, so I'll miss four days. Is it as tragic as I think it is (I guess this question is more for Heather)?
Not so much, really. You'll miss one of some classes and two of others. Just be sure to talk to your professors in advance and tell them about it, and be sure you have some note-exchanging friends by then and you should be fine. Your professors should be able to arrange for you to listen to the recordings of classes, but not every class is recorded every session, so you have to make sure to arrange it in advance and get permission. They're pretty cool about this kind of stuff in general, as long as you're proactive about it all.

gilchristh

Bronze

Post by gilchristh » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:43 pm

Okay, so I have a question for you guys that is totally un-GULC related (well, other than the fact that we all attend/will attend GULC). I'm writing an LSAT course and I'm working on a session on advanced propositional logic (a.k.a. formal logic, syllogisms, etc.). The first session in it covers the basics--translating, combining, contraposing, sufficient and necessary, etc.--and the most common applications of it on the LSAT. So right now I'm lost in this sea of logic... I want to be thorough without going overboard. I'm going to cover some really tough games and some really tough LR questions that use propositional logic, but in addition to the hard applications, how much theory should I go into?

So basically, I think what I'm trying to ask is:
1) What did you NOT understand about PL on the LSAT that you wish you had learned?
2) What do you feel were the most valuable complex PL concepts you learned?

I mean, you don't have to know the phrases "affirming the disjunct," "denying the conjunct," "affirming the consequent," "denying the antecedent," or the terms for a number of other fallacies and concepts to kick ass on the LSAT... but do you think that at least being exposed to the names of some of these concepts would be valuable? Or should I just keep the focus on understanding the logic of these concepts it without getting into the names of them?

I don't want to ask this in the main forum because I don't want to get a big glut of random opinions, plus I wanna keep it under wraps right now, so mum's the word, k?

Kim617

Silver

Post by Kim617 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:22 pm

gilchristh wrote:Okay, so I have a question for you guys that is totally un-GULC related (well, other than the fact that we all attend/will attend GULC). I'm writing an LSAT course and I'm working on a session on advanced propositional logic (a.k.a. formal logic, syllogisms, etc.). The first session in it covers the basics--translating, combining, contraposing, sufficient and necessary, etc.--and the most common applications of it on the LSAT. So right now I'm lost in this sea of logic... I want to be thorough without going overboard. I'm going to cover some really tough games and some really tough LR questions that use propositional logic, but in addition to the hard applications, how much theory should I go into?

1) What did you NOT understand about PL on the LSAT that you wish you had learned?

I mean, you don't have to know the phrases "affirming the disjunct," "denying the conjunct," "affirming the consequent," "denying the antecedent," or the terms for a number of other fallacies and concepts to kick ass on the LSAT... but do you think that at least being exposed to the names of some of these concepts would be valuable? Or should I just keep the focus on understanding the logic of these concepts it without getting into the names of them?

I don't want to ask this in the main forum because I don't want to get a big glut of random opinions, plus I wanna keep it under wraps right now, so mum's the word, k?
Hm, I think the names are more confusing than the actual concept. I mean, I'm not sure it would've helped me to know the names at all. My opinion is that you should keep the focus on understanding the logic, because sometimes people get too caught up in the memorizing of the name rather than the concept. That's just my opinion, though.

Thanks again for the info on missing classes, I'll make sure to let my professors know.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

nowinGA

Bronze

Post by nowinGA » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:40 pm

Kim617 wrote:
gilchristh wrote:Okay, so I have a question for you guys that is totally un-GULC related (well, other than the fact that we all attend/will attend GULC). I'm writing an LSAT course and I'm working on a session on advanced propositional logic (a.k.a. formal logic, syllogisms, etc.). The first session in it covers the basics--translating, combining, contraposing, sufficient and necessary, etc.--and the most common applications of it on the LSAT. So right now I'm lost in this sea of logic... I want to be thorough without going overboard. I'm going to cover some really tough games and some really tough LR questions that use propositional logic, but in addition to the hard applications, how much theory should I go into?

Hm, I think the names are more confusing than the actual concept. I mean, I'm not sure it would've helped me to know the names at all. My opinion is that you should keep the focus on understanding the logic, because sometimes people get too caught up in the memorizing of the name rather than the concept. That's just my opinion, though.

Thanks again for the info on missing classes, I'll make sure to let my professors know.
I agree. The more was taught the actual names of the types of problems and processes I was following, the more complicated it got and the more I over-thought (and lost time). I did much better just "doing" it than I did trying to learn what type of problem it was...if that makes sense. But I think everyone approaches it really differently and what matters is how it makes sense in your own head (obviously). I performed best when I stopped thinking about it and just did it.

Split5

Bronze

Post by Split5 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:19 pm

Rocketman11 wrote:
Holy fuck guys, we should call the whole thing off. This guy i've never heard of who thinks a bunch of people on a LAW SCHOOL forum in a thread where they are ALL MOVING TO THE SAME AREA and ATTENDING THE SAME SCHOOL have *nothing* in common is OUT?! son of a bitch, say it ain't so.

I will miss your 200 post presence, that's for sure.
Haha, you just pulled rank on a joke! I guess it's logical, though. The guy who has wasted the time it takes to write 15,000 posts would be the one to take a demeaning satire of his "hood" the hardest.

Orientation spoiler: Phelps wins.

volsi

Bronze

Post by volsi » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:20 pm

Kim617 wrote:Thanks for the advice, guys. I actually just found out that they'll reimburse me, so cab it is! Meanwhile, anything I can do about missing classes? I'll be gone from Saturday-Thursday, so I'll miss four days. Is it as tragic as I think it is (I guess this question is more for Heather)?
I'll take notes for you.

tacitus33

New

Post by tacitus33 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:25 pm

+1

A lot of the LSAT guides I looked at started off by listing the different kinds of logic games and LR questions, explaining which LR questions were the opposites of each other, etc. etc. which IMHO just adds an extra step to attacking those questions (stopping to try and figure out which type each question is). I think that once people have done a few practice tests, they're able to identify each type of question and the best way to attack it without needing to know the relevant formal terms.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”