GULC c/o 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
gilchristh

Bronze

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Post by gilchristh » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:30 pm

softrevolution wrote:
nowinGA wrote: In no place (at least that I received) did it say you have to use a passport photo...though I do think it used that terminology to refer to the size of the photo if you were not submitting electronically.
Well on the GoCard website, http://www.law.georgetown.edu/gocard/faq.htm
it says "All photos must be passport type color photos with frontal view of just the head and shoulders on a solid white or blue background. Any photos inappropriate for use on the GOCard will not be processed."

Looks like it may not be so strictly enforced? Yay?
Not so strictly enforced. Mine was not a true passport photo, just about that size and not otherwise inappropriate.

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:50 pm

tacitus33 wrote:
Monday, August 23rd: Noon- The Gewirz Great Race
This sounds intriguing. Anyone know what it is?
+1

Someone needs to order a Kagan action figure.

starrydecisus

Silver

Post by starrydecisus » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:59 pm

Unitas wrote:
tacitus33 wrote:
Monday, August 23rd: Noon- The Gewirz Great Race
This sounds intriguing. Anyone know what it is?
+1

Someone needs to order a Kagan action figure.
Hahaha the guy who makes them is on vacation until Aug. 25! I probably won't be able to get Kagan for a while, but maybe I can preorder...Maybe he'll cut me a deal for ordering the figurine AND the trading card = )

Platinum

Post by 02122015 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:05 pm

gilchristh wrote:
nowinGA wrote:
MSPeast wrote:I still need to do my GoCard app. I don't print from my computer at home right now (new printer is still in the box so I can ship it easily) so I'll need to forward it to my job, but I keep forgetting to do that.

For the picture, I can just take one from my laptop and have one of the programs crop it to the right size.
I believe you only need to print and use the form if you are not submitting electronically. You can also join student advantage, and add money to your gocard once you get it, online.

From the form:

(This application only needs to be sent if you decide to send your photo by mail, add funds to your GOCard or request Student Advantage)
Yup, you can just email the form; no need to print.
Wait, isn't emailing it a form of sending it? If they still need some version of the form (electronic or otherwise), do I just type on the form? I noticed I couldn't check some of the boxes in Word; they're just boxes.

nowinGA

Bronze

Post by nowinGA » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:07 pm

MSPeast wrote:
gilchristh wrote:
nowinGA wrote:
MSPeast wrote:I still need to do my GoCard app. I don't print from my computer at home right now (new printer is still in the box so I can ship it easily) so I'll need to forward it to my job, but I keep forgetting to do that.

For the picture, I can just take one from my laptop and have one of the programs crop it to the right size.
I believe you only need to print and use the form if you are not submitting electronically. You can also join student advantage, and add money to your gocard once you get it, online.

From the form:

(This application only needs to be sent if you decide to send your photo by mail, add funds to your GOCard or request Student Advantage)
Yup, you can just email the form; no need to print.
Wait, isn't emailing it a form of sending it? If they still need some version of the form (electronic or otherwise), do I just type on the form? I noticed I couldn't check some of the boxes in Word; they're just boxes.

they don't need the form. just attach a pic and you are done. my pic has trees in the background and was approved. no worries!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:34 pm

Really Georgetown Credit Union? Really? They need copies of my ids to open the account. This school knows more about me than any other person on earth (including my wife) and they want a damn copy of my ids (They want TWO different forms of id). What the hell?

Platinum

Post by 02122015 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:57 pm

Unitas wrote:Really Georgetown Credit Union? Really? They need copies of my ids to open the account. This school knows more about me than any other person on earth (including my wife) and they want a damn copy of my ids (They want TWO different forms of id). What the hell?
Yikes! Hopefully Wachovia will just be like "Oh, you're an existing Wells Fargo customer? Okay, your account is now open!"

Edit: Okay, sent them a picture. Photo Booth on Mac is pretty handy! So is Preview for cropping it to the right size and dimensions.

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:46 am

Hey guys, I just got my mom to snap of photo of me to send for my Gocard

Do you like it?!

I really hope the dorms have a dial up connection available, it's the only thing my Windows 95 operating system can support :|

Platinum

Post by 02122015 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:14 am

Waterman has a Benjamin Button thing going on?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

starrydecisus

Silver

Post by starrydecisus » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:22 am

Nice pic, Waterman. You're really going to be a hit with the ladies.

Also, let's plan on moving up the initial Rocket Bar meet up to around 4 p.m. I'm sure whatever this Great Gewirz Race thing is, it won't be four hours long??? The bar opens at 4 and I believe has its happy hour specials from 4 to 7. We can chill for a bit and then all head to the baseball game together (or whoever wants to). Sound like a plan?

Platinum

Post by 02122015 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:05 pm

starrydecisus wrote:Nice pic, Waterman. You're really going to be a hit with the ladies.

Also, let's plan on moving up the initial Rocket Bar meet up to around 4 p.m. I'm sure whatever this Great Gewirz Race thing is, it won't be four hours long??? The bar opens at 4 and I believe has its happy hour specials from 4 to 7. We can chill for a bit and then all head to the baseball game together (or whoever wants to). Sound like a plan?
Sounds good, assuming they don't do something like make us meet at Gewirz at 6 to get tickets and catch a bus down there or something less flexible like that. So as long as going right from the bar to the game will work, then this is a good plan. They are both on the Green Line, too.

williestark

New

Post by williestark » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:56 pm

nowinGA wrote:
starrydecisus wrote:Besides the Amtrak discount, what other perks are there to the Student Advantage. Are you all doing the 3 year one?
Well I figured with Amtrak alone I would make it worth it. I go to NYC a lot. But I also love drugstore.com and already use it, so I will apply that one. I do order some stuff from target online sometimes...so I could use it there too. For me, that was enough. I don't imagine I will use it often or that I will use most of that stuff they list...but again, the few things I already do and can use it on made me decide to just do it for the 3 years. I don't imagine I will use it a lot.
What is the Amtrak discount?

Platinum

Post by 02122015 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:10 pm

MSPeast wrote:
nowinGA wrote:
starrydecisus wrote:Besides the Amtrak discount, what other perks are there to the Student Advantage. Are you all doing the 3 year one?
Well I figured with Amtrak alone I would make it worth it. I go to NYC a lot. But I also love drugstore.com and already use it, so I will apply that one. I do order some stuff from target online sometimes...so I could use it there too. For me, that was enough. I don't imagine I will use it often or that I will use most of that stuff they list...but again, the few things I already do and can use it on made me decide to just do it for the 3 years. I don't imagine I will use it a lot.
The Amtrak discounts are pretty decent too, like 10 or 15% off. While it's generally much cheaper to get to NYC with something like BoltBus (especially if bought a bit in advance), there are other places in the area for which Amtrak is your best bet, especially if you don't have a car in DC (Pittsburgh, Charlottesville, Hampton Roads, Cumberland, Raleigh, etc.)
Edit: I just looked it up. 15%.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

iheartlaw

Bronze

Post by iheartlaw » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:44 pm

Hey is anyone here looking for a roommate? I found an amazing 3 bedroom place half a mile from campus and just a short 10 minute walk. It is 3 stories and beautiful, and the price would be about $1300 ish + utilities. I already have a roommate who I found off of TLS who is very cool. We are both males, and would be looking to live with someone who is easy going, fun, respectful, clean and knows how to balance school with other things. Please pm me if you are interested. Thanks!

Kim617

Silver

Post by Kim617 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:28 pm

MSPeast wrote:
MSPeast wrote:
nowinGA wrote:
The Amtrak discounts are pretty decent too, like 10 or 15% off. While it's generally much cheaper to get to NYC with something like BoltBus (especially if bought a bit in advance), there are other places in the area for which Amtrak is your best bet, especially if you don't have a car in DC (Pittsburgh, Charlottesville, Hampton Roads, Cumberland, Raleigh, etc.)
Edit: I just looked it up. 15%.
I'm not sure if it's worth it for me to do the student advantage. I'll be going back and forth to NYC so the bus is much, much cheaper and only an hour longer.

Meanwhile, I cannot find an appropriate pic of me, I guess I have to just take one on my camera and send it in.

Kim617

Silver

Post by Kim617 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:29 pm

starrydecisus wrote:Nice pic, Waterman. You're really going to be a hit with the ladies.

Sounds good to me!

volsi

Bronze

Post by volsi » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:39 pm

Wow, 100 pages guys. :)

Walked from my apt to campus today - 30 minutes on the dot. I tried to get into the gym but they will not let us use the facilities without a GoCard. :(
I also met Mike Fazio, the security guard some of you met earlier. He was great. Remembers everyone's name.

I also visited the bookstore. Most of our books are already there, in shiny intimidating shrink-wrap.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Kim617

Silver

Post by Kim617 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:28 pm

volsi wrote:Wow, 100 pages guys. :)

Walked from my apt to campus today - 30 minutes on the dot. I tried to get into the gym but they will not let us use the facilities without a GoCard. :(
I also met Mike Fazio, the security guard some of you met earlier. He was great. Remembers everyone's name.

I also visited the bookstore. Most of our books are already there, in shiny intimidating shrink-wrap.
Did you notice if they were cheaper in the bookstore or on amazon? I can't wait to get down there! Two weeks from today!

Torvon

Bronze

Post by Torvon » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:30 pm

Kim617 wrote:
volsi wrote:Wow, 100 pages guys. :)

Did you notice if they were cheaper in the bookstore or on amazon? I can't wait to get down there! Two weeks from today!
They really aren't that much cheaper, andone of them is available used at the bookstore that isn't on Amazon. That's for Section 4 anyway.

Apparently the bookstore will give you a price on a used book without actually having one in stock.... :cry: .
Last edited by Torvon on Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

volsi

Bronze

Post by volsi » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:52 pm

Last edited by volsi on Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Torvon

Bronze

Post by Torvon » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:07 pm

volsi wrote:The difference for our books (section 4 represent!) was about 25 dollars per big tome. Stone on bookstore: 166. Stone on amazon: 134
Field on bookstore: 157 Field on Amazon: 137.

The civpro 2010 paperback book is the same price on amazon as in the bookstore. I ordered what I could on amazon and figured I'd get the rest at the bookstore.

ETA: The bookstore was getting a delivery when I was there. A lot of those books are just arriving now. It's consequently a giant mess in there right now. I did run into a graduate with her mom picking out diploma frames.
Are you quoting new prices? High roller. If you are going used, it's closer in price between Amazon on the bookstore.

Stone: $124.50
Field: $117.80

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

volsi

Bronze

Post by volsi » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:16 pm

Last edited by volsi on Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Platinum

Post by 02122015 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:30 pm

I figure I'll also go for new books to the extent the student budget allows. I think it's like $525 per semester.

And just one more week until I'm done with my job! Being a lame-duck at work doesn't do much for motivation and I just want to get out of there!

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:53 pm

MSPeast wrote:I figure I'll also go for new books to the extent the student budget allows. I think it's like $525 per semester.

And just one more week until I'm done with my job! Being a lame-duck at work doesn't do much for motivation and I just want to get out of there!
I like getting new books. I try and keep them all.

nowinGA

Bronze

Post by nowinGA » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:03 pm

Unitas wrote:
MSPeast wrote:I figure I'll also go for new books to the extent the student budget allows. I think it's like $525 per semester.

I like getting new books. I try and keep them all.
+1

And I think in pretty much every single law school primer I have read it says you should never, ever get used books. You need to mark it up yourself and know that you know what YOU know.

One of my friends who is a lawyer at a big fancy firms just gave me the tip to keep my law books...apparently he sold all of his and now constantly wishes he had them for reference in his office. Many other lawyer friends chimed in and said to also keep all hornbooks...that they use those in their offices even more often.

For what that's worth!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”