GULC c/o 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
volsi

Bronze

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Post by volsi » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:42 am

Last year it was late May through early September. They don't really tell us ahead of time, but it's typically on by June at the latest. It's a pretty good deal.

And yeah, there are lots of apps that don't need an internet connection. Like solitaire. :)

Platinum

Post by 02122015 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:06 am

Last edited by 02122015 on Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kim617

Silver

Post by Kim617 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:30 am

volsi wrote:Last year it was late May through early September. They don't really tell us ahead of time, but it's typically on by June at the latest. It's a pretty good deal.

And yeah, there are lots of apps that don't need an internet connection. Like solitaire. :)
You know this deal, and the lightness of a Mac, almost made me switch, but I'm too comfortable with PCs. I used to work in the computer lab at my school, and I just think it's personal preference, but I never liked using Macs. They're great for graphics and visuals, but in my major we use excel and certain planning programs constantly, and I always liked it better on a PC.

And yeah, that's the computer they use on project runway. I sort of like the idea of being able to write everything. And as you know, I'm definitely not 5'11". I use a small computer right now, since my like 17 inch HP laptop committed suicide in February (had it for 5 years, it was about time), and my mom's office gave me a little computer to use. It's not bad at all, actually, so I don't think 12" will be THAT small.

volsi

Bronze

Post by volsi » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:58 pm

I feel that. Excel is the same on either, though. And you can run Windows via bootcamp for planning programs. That HP computer sure is cute, though. I'm big on aesthetics.

For the record, I stopped actually caring what people use a while ago. People get so heated up for mac vs pc and I just find it exhausting. Sometimes I feel like I work with a lot of pod people. ( haha get it!?)

MSPeast,

it's both online and in stores. The stores only have certain configs, but they can upgrade your RAM for the same price as online.

[sorry for any typos, replying on an iPhone]

Kim617

Silver

Post by Kim617 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:30 pm

volsi wrote:I feel that. Excel is the same on either, though. And you can run Windows via bootcamp for planning programs. That HP computer sure is cute, though. I'm big on aesthetics.
haha, me too. i was looking at the hp online, but for some reason they don't have them in any stores. i went to best buy and pc richards, but they didn't have it. i wanna see it in person!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PheelTheMusic

New

Post by PheelTheMusic » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:42 pm

MSPeast wrote:Officially going to Georgetown!
Congrats and welcome!
tigrelis wrote:Hi guys, I am planning on putting down the deposit tomorrow!! So excited to join the class :)
Welcome!
Kim617 wrote:I chose the large two bedroom as my number one. I'm only 21, I've never lived alone, so that seems like the best option for me.
I went large two bedroom as well. The extra space was worth the expense to me.
gobears09 wrote: I really like having roommates. I put the large two bedroom as my first choice too, and requested to live to someone close in age (Im 22), maybe well be roommates haha.
Large 2 Bedroom all the way. 22 here as well... that's a very good idea on the age request.
gobears09 wrote:Did anyone else notice that there is only ONE large single unit? Whoever gets it will be very lucky.
Yea, what's up with that?
Kim617 wrote: I will definitely miss a lot about NY, but pizza and bagels for sure.
My undergrad is right outside of Boston and the pizza and bagels are even horrible here! My friends are sick of me talking about how much I miss and love NY food...

PheelTheMusic

New

Post by PheelTheMusic » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:56 pm

Interminable_Waiting wrote:BTW. Exciting draft. Patriots have made five trades and four picks so far. Crazy.
You guys had a classic Belichick draft. It makes no sense while it's happening, and then you sit back and ponder how the heck you grabbed all of those players while somehow ADDING picks for next year. I love our 1st round Wilson pick though. Good luck passing on our D next year.
Kim617 wrote:BTW re: the draft, the Giants have drafted a DE, DT, and a safety. Are they deliberately ignoring the fact that they don't have one decent starting LB? I like Pierre-Paul, I think he's going to be insane, but WE NEED A LINEBACKER. They're going to start having to pull bums off the street like they did in 2005 against the Panthers. It's like they're drafting any defensive position BUT a LB. Does Reese have something up his sleeve? Very doubtful. Teams will continue doing what they always do, and that's pretty much killing the defense over the middle. They couldn't stop a TE if their lives depended on it.
You did grab Phillip Dillard in Rd. 4 who will probably start for you guys next year. Pierre-Paul scares me with his bust potential--although he could absolutely develop into a beast coming off the edge. As a Jets fan I'm still scarred from the Vernon Gholston fiasco.

PheelTheMusic

New

Post by PheelTheMusic » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:03 pm

volsi wrote:What are you guys doing for laptops, btw? I'm getting a Mac, partially because I love them and partially because I can still get a discount while I'm there. I'm going to run Bootcamp for Windows programs.
I'm conflicted as to size. Should I get a 13" and pump up the specs or should I get a 15", which is heavier but more powerful? Decisions, decisions.
Definitely Mac. I couldn't imagine going back to a Windows machine for my audio work, or even my schoolwork. I don't think I even remember how to use Windows anymore lol.

I'm going to grab one of the new 15" pros on the back to school promo this summer. I think the smaller 13" screen would bug me for reading documents/word processing. 17" is nice but too huge. The 13" is really no more portable than the 15" -- when would you decide not to take the 15" because it was too big but take the 13"?

volsi

Bronze

Post by volsi » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:12 pm

PheelTheMusic wrote:
volsi wrote:What are you guys doing for laptops, btw? I'm getting a Mac, partially because I love them and partially because I can still get a discount while I'm there. I'm going to run Bootcamp for Windows programs.
I'm conflicted as to size. Should I get a 13" and pump up the specs or should I get a 15", which is heavier but more powerful? Decisions, decisions.
Definitely Mac. I couldn't imagine going back to a Windows machine for my audio work, or even my schoolwork. I don't think I even remember how to use Windows anymore lol.

I'm going to grab one of the new 15" pros on the back to school promo this summer. I think the smaller 13" screen would bug me for reading documents/word processing. 17" is nice but too huge. The 13" is really no more portable than the 15" -- when would you decide not to take the 15" because it was too big but take the 13"?
Well, I already have a 24 inch iMac that I'll be bringing with me. But I think the 15 would be better during exams. Maybe I'll spring for the hi-res screen, or is that just being greedy?

--
Oh, and I got my financial aid letter today. Apparently my aid eligibility, on the 0-100 scale, was a 0. Nice for Georgetown to let me know I'm rich, I wish I'd known this beforehand.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:39 am

Kim617 wrote:BTW re: the draft, the Giants have drafted a DE, DT, and a safety. Are they deliberately ignoring the fact that they don't have one decent starting LB? I like Pierre-Paul, I think he's going to be insane, but WE NEED A LINEBACKER. They're going to start having to pull bums off the street like they did in 2005 against the Panthers. It's like they're drafting any defensive position BUT a LB. Does Reese have something up his sleeve? Very doubtful. Teams will continue doing what they always do, and that's pretty much killing the defense over the middle. They couldn't stop a TE if their lives depended on it.

+100, nothing against Pierre Paul, but I was really disappointed by that pick.

js87

Bronze

Post by js87 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:08 pm

volsi wrote:
PheelTheMusic wrote:

Well, I already have a 24 inch iMac that I'll be bringing with me. But I think the 15 would be better during exams. Maybe I'll spring for the hi-res screen, or is that just being greedy?

--
Oh, and I got my financial aid letter today. Apparently my aid eligibility, on the 0-100 scale, was a 0. Nice for Georgetown to let me know I'm rich, I wish I'd known this beforehand.
I also got a "0" and laughed when I saw it. I'm one year out of undergrad with barely any real savings, and my parents certainly can't contribute much. I guess Georgetown feels differently, though.

Platinum

Post by 02122015 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:04 pm

Last edited by 02122015 on Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Platinum

Post by 02122015 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:35 pm

Last edited by 02122015 on Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:15 pm

MSPeast wrote:Yep, applied for Gewirz. I went with the regular 2-bedroom for a first choice, then the three bedrooms, and finally the single rooms. I'm excited to find out what I wind up with!
Wonder how the lottery works. I'll go look into it. Like do they give everyone a random number then they just go down their preferences until they have a room available? So if you got number 200, you'd be the 200th choice of your rooms? Then they'd go 2 bedroom filled, but three bedroom is available and then give that to you?

EDIT: doesn't really say.

cavortingbeastie

New

Post by cavortingbeastie » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:25 pm

I just got a little 14" thinkpad edge, and I'm running linux on it. I've dual booted Windows for exam software though. It's super light, and the keyboard is really comfortable.

Snarleyow

New

Post by Snarleyow » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:10 am

looks like it's g-town for me! starting off in the evening program. anyone want to be friends with me?

Snarleyow

New

Post by Snarleyow » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:25 am

stupendous! all of my friends in DC right now are leaving for places all over the country so I'm unreasonably nervous about not having any come August. are you here now or will you be moving at the end of the summer?
Jackie O wrote:
Snarleyow wrote:looks like it's g-town for me! starting off in the evening program. anyone want to be friends with me?
D. H2Oman and I are in the part-time program - we will be your friends :wink:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

volsi

Bronze

Post by volsi » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:40 am

Jackie O wrote:
Snarleyow wrote:stupendous! all of my friends in DC right now are leaving for places all over the country so I'm unreasonably nervous about not having any come August. are you here now or will you be moving at the end of the summer?
yeah I don't know that many people in DC either - I'll be moving down in about a month for my job; I take it you'll be in DC for the summer?

also, don't be unreasonably nervous - pretty sure the majority of people won't know many in DC just starting out at Gtown
This is true. The only person in DC I will know is a current coworker who thinks (among other things) that Pinochet did nothing wrong. For serious.

also; Yay for PT people. My friend who sold on Georgetown went part time - I've nothing but respect for the lot of you.

Snarleyow

New

Post by Snarleyow » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:49 am

there are lots of folks in DC willing to make arguments like that. no offense to your coworker, but have you ever seen that onion article "devil's advocate really just wants to be asshole?" there's a lot of that in DC. I love it here though. from philly originally. stoked to meet some hoyas.

volsi

Bronze

Post by volsi » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:02 am

Oh, I am cool with many Devil's advocate arguments. I don't get offended and enjoy debating even the most unlikely of scenarios. I totally get arguing just for its own sake and it doesn't bother me.
However, this guy legitimately believes that because Pinochet was battling "communists," any action, including but not limited to killing the offending communist, was justifiable and even good.

Snarleyow

New

Post by Snarleyow » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:08 am

he must really dislike communists.
volsi wrote:Oh, I am cool with many Devil's advocate arguments. I don't get offended and enjoy debating even the most unlikely of scenarios. I totally get arguing just for its own sake and it doesn't bother me.
However, this guy legitimately believes that because Pinochet was battling "communists," any action, including but not limited to killing the offending communist, was justifiable and even good.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ihurtmyselftoday

New

Post by ihurtmyselftoday » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:14 am

Snarleyow wrote: from philly originally. stoked to meet some hoyas.
I'll be moving down from Philly too! I love D.C. and I'm especially excited that it's so close to Philly.

I'm actually heading down for a day trip on Wednesday to attend a presentation at Hotung. Should be awesome.

Is anyone here chosing to live off campus? I'm looking into the Glover Park area (near GU main campus). The area has a bus stop that takes you right to Logan's Circle so it's off metro line but the bus makes it pretty easy to get there. I'm hoping to find a house share in one of the nice brownstones.

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:21 am

Jackie O wrote:
Snarleyow wrote:looks like it's g-town for me! starting off in the evening program. anyone want to be friends with me?

Indeed we would be happy to be your friends, but trust me you can probably do better.

Snarleyow

New

Post by Snarleyow » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:57 am

hey, I'll take what I can get! I'm from philly originally but have been living in DC for a little over a year now. I live in tenleytown right now, right next to AU, but I'm probably going to move more towards H st or even stadium-armory area. I've got a buddy who lives a couple blocks from the stadium-armory metro that I might move in with-- I'm comfortable with petty crime for $550/month rent.
D. H2Oman wrote:
Jackie O wrote:

Indeed we would be happy to be your friends, but trust me you can probably do better.

ktalene

New

Post by ktalene » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:55 pm

Anyone moving from either the Pacific Northwest or from Chicago area? I'm coming from Seattle but grew up in Chicago and would love to find another die-hard Cubs fan!

I'm interested to see how the housing lottery goes. They say in past years they were able to accommodate all first years who wanted housing but if this site is any indication, seems most of us are in the lottery. I hope they let us know waaaay in advance if they don't have enough space.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”